Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat May 28, 2022 2:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:15 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:41 am Not sure if this has been shared on this forum already but here is Herms' translation of the DBS:SH twitter account interview of Toriyama:
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1530389182085885954
A few thoughts from this:

- I can't help but feel like the way Toriyama frames his statement of how Gohan is stronger than anyone is such a "carrot-dangling" comment. Like... Toriyama has to be aware of how much of a significant part he has played in making Goku and Vegeta so much stronger than the rest of the cast in the last decade and how he has done nothing significant with Gohan's character since the Majin Boo arc.

- The whole idea that Gohan hasn't a chance to shine makes me think even more that he didn't give any significant attention to what happened in the Tournament Of Power (for the anime) or the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc (for the manga). The latter case is even more perplexing given he worked with Toyotaro in coming up with the plot outline for that arc. Unless it was a case of Toyotaro including Gohan in that arc himself as Toriyama had no plans for him.

- I REALLY don't like the idea of Gohan needing Piccolo (or Goku for that matter) to motivate Gohan when it comes to martial arts. That was fine when Gohan was a child and going through a significant character arc, but he's a full-grown adult, married and has a child. Shouldn't that be enough motivation for him to keep up his strength? Even then, wasn't the whole reason Gohan started wearing Goku's gi in the Majin Boo arc and onward was because he wanted to be just like his father? Why did that motivation to be just like Goku end?

- I thought Mr Satan was Toriyama's favourite character?
This Toriyama interview is funny lol

You're right in your insights in how he talks about Gohan and basically having no plans for him in Super up until now (where he's again self-unmotivated to keep up his training), judging by how he was totally absent in Broly & how Toei/Toyo have had to scrounge up stuff for him (& Vegeta for that matter) independently. This might actually be the 1st time Toriyama's even talked about Gohan in a Super/post-OG manga context since the 1st DBS manga vol Tori/Toyo talk (where they chatted about Gohan originally being considered but dropped as the new MC) as he's a non-factor in U6/FT/Granolah, and ToP/Moro (wherein Gohan does get to do stuff) doesn't have much if any direct statements from Toriyama or about his involvement in them (while the former 3 do for at least one of each).

And I do recall Toriyama saying Piccolo was his favourite character in Daizenshuu 2.
Incidentally, who is your favorite character?

Yeah, I guess I like Piccolo the most after all. Out of all the enemies, Piccolo Daimaō is the one I like most, and even after that I like Piccolo the most. I like Piccolo about the same as I like Goku. With Vegeta, well, I don’t like him all that much, but he was extremely helpful to have around. For the recent stuff, it was fun drawing Satan. When I first brought him out, I didn’t think that I would end up making Satan that important of a character. I thought he’d just be a one-shot character.
Satan is like that, but thinking up worthless gags is more enjoyable than doing the fight scenes. (laughs)
Plus Dragon Ball: A Visual History:
"For this comment space, they asked me to talk about my favorite DB character. Since I'm the author, my answer is obviously Goku, but I'll choose a side character instead. Truth is the one I enjoy drawing the most is none other than Mr. Satan. Not to brag, but I've always had a soft spot for sneaky rule breakers. I did start my manga career with a gag series after all.

"Satan's still a cop-out answer, though, so if I had to pick a more major character, it'd have to be Piccolo. He was cool in The Great Demon King form, but I especially love how the reborn Piccolo we all know is so taciturn and embraces solitude. When he first showed up, little did I know that he'd become a mainstay. Now I'm emotionally attached to him."

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat May 28, 2022 6:04 pm

Yeah I think Toriyama prefers to focus on a limited number of characters. Gohan has been on a continuous seesaw of resurgence and then decline. It's repetitive but I get the impression that Toriyama prefers to only use him when there's need of an extra usable body with some muscle whom he can put aside once the arc is over. I don't believe we've had much in the way of consistency in Gohan's character development besides his gravitating towards Piccolo in team based scenarios and having to be kicked in the rear by Piccolo to get him involved.

I wish this movie would be the turning point for a more assorted distinctive cast pursuing some meaningful goal that's somehow relevant to the overarching thread but that sounds like wishful thinking at this point. Frankly Broly just doesn't do it for me and Freeza is too self-involved and hands off for a continuous arc-by-arc role.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Sat May 28, 2022 7:53 pm

Honestly I wish Toriyama had written in one line about Gohan using the Time Chamber to keep his skills honed, or at least not let them decay.

There, problem solved! Gohan doesn't have to be in every fight and he doesn't look like a loser when he has to regain his former power.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Sun May 29, 2022 8:25 am

New 15s PV. Frieza appears in the movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Fyxin9Sas

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 29, 2022 8:35 am

sigmasigma wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:25 am New 15s PV. Frieza appears in the movie?
Feels like it's someone talking about him judging by the background, but who knows.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun May 29, 2022 8:44 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:35 am
sigmasigma wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:25 am New 15s PV. Frieza appears in the movie?
Feels like it's someone talking about him judging by the background, but who knows.
That's exactly the vibe I'm getting too, that Frieza's appearance is that someone's talking about him rather than him making a physical appearance. Also I feel like there's so many characters in the story already that there's not enough room left for a character like Frieza to make a meaningful appearance, so it's gotta just be a mention with an accompanying visual.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 am

Looks like Krillin and 18 are joining in the fight! That shot of Broly powering up looked wild.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Sun May 29, 2022 9:26 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 am Looks like Krillin and 18 are joining in the fight! That shot of Broly powering up looked wild.
Android 18 vs Red Ribbon Army. This is interesting!

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sun May 29, 2022 10:15 am

Freeeeeeezaaaaa!!!!

Yellow aura for Broly! What is he doing?

And all the lightning in Ultimatr Gohan is strange... Never have been like this that much

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 29, 2022 12:21 pm

If this is set a few years after DBSB, I wonder what's going on with Freeza?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun May 29, 2022 1:20 pm

If 18 will fight, they better not make her look weaker than Goten and Trunks. That would completely contradict her ToP and Moro arc showings.

But I bet 20 dollars that they will. Hell maybe even Pan will look stronger than her.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Freeza, but as others said he's probably just being talked about. Looks great though.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 29, 2022 1:34 pm

Is there a good reason why the women in Dragon Ball need to have short hair? Do they have something against long-haired women?

Also, I just hope I won't have to cringe at all the scenes focusing on Bulma making some "weird poses" just as Cheelai did in Movie 1. And Majin Buu is sleeping, again. Why not, right? Thanks for the Dende shot, though. I appreciate. :) About time to see these characters older, as they should've been long ago.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 29, 2022 2:25 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:34 pm Is there a good reason why the women in Dragon Ball need to have short hair? Do they have something against long-haired women?
This could be wrong but I am pretty sure Toriyama prefers the look of short hair on women.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun May 29, 2022 2:34 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:25 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:34 pm Is there a good reason why the women in Dragon Ball need to have short hair? Do they have something against long-haired women?
This could be wrong but I am pretty sure Toriyama prefers the look of short hair on women.
Probably easier to draw too. Same reason we rarely see Super Saiyan 3. When testing his power, Goku will go from Super Saiyan, to Super Saiyan 2, to Super Saiyan...Blue. Why they skip God, I dunno. That was before they decided that God was popular too, I guess. lol

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 29, 2022 2:54 pm

Streets saying Bulma got a DBBL????
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 29, 2022 3:26 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:25 pmThis could be wrong but I am pretty sure Toriyama prefers the look of short hair on women.
I think I've heard of that, but regardless, some women with long hair would be appreciated too. Look at this beauty.

Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 29, 2022 3:31 pm

Long-hair is also a pain in the ass to take care of (I miss being able to keep my hair short!) and I'm sure that it's also a pain in the ass to draw, too. Even so, it isn't like Toriyama is drawing as much as he used to so I imagine he simply wants to draw girls with short hair. Which, of course, is his prerogative.

I also really like Blooma's new outfit. It's quite cute! Green is a favorite color of mine! That jacket is also to die for!

She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm

My goodness that image of Bulma would probably be most fit in the Sexy Art thread :lol:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun May 29, 2022 5:59 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm My goodness that image of Bulma would probably be most fit in the Sexy Art thread :lol:
What you mean? Bulma is an old lady, well beyond her prime. The anime keeps telling us this. They wouldn't make the visuals run counter to the dialogue. /s