Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:25 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:09 am
mute_proxy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 am What a miserable bunch this fandom is.
Not just this one.

It seems people didn't hear the word "no" enough when they were kids, so they think throwing a tantrum is the way to go everytime something divisive happens.

There's no accepting reality as it is and doing your best with it anymore, there's just anger, ignorance and denial directed towards authors and staff. Some people want things to flop by judging only a teaser.

Here's hoping they're kids that will still grow out of this toxic behavior, but we know very well older folks don't do any better with these cartoon revivals.
My dude, it's just a cartoon. I think something something isn't good and born out of boneheaded decision making and money grubbing, and so I hope it falls on its face as a wakeup call. It doesn't have to be any deeper than that. Don't lump me in with your projections. I don't even post on this section like that
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:51 am

But why do people think it won't be good already?

If they are indeed taking focus away from Goku and Vegeta and trying something new, both story wise and with 3D, then than means they are taking some risks and it's kinda the opposite of money grubbing.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:52 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:52 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:58 am Yes it's just a movie. That's the problem.

Meanwhile One Piece gets a weekly anime, got a movie in 2019, and is getting a new movie. Why does Toei treat DBS like trash when Dragon Ball is way more popular than One Piece?
Can't talk about oversea but that's demostrative false in Japan., One Piece is more popular than DB in their homeland.
I mean okay but then if we're only talking about Japan then we can't even say Broly was that popular. Pretty sure it didn't make nearly as much money in Japan as it did oversea. Globally Dragon Ball is more popular and profitable than pretty much any other shonen.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 am

Michsi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:51 am But why do people think it won't be good already?

If they are indeed taking focus away from Goku and Vegeta and trying something new, both story wise and with 3D, then than means they are taking some risks and it's kinda the opposite of money grubbing.
They literally said in the teaser thing that they were making it 3D because that's what makes a ton of money in Western theaters. They want this to be bigger than Demon Slayer or whatever that movie was called
Cold World (Fanfic)

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:36 am I expressed my opinion without attacking you. Yet you lash onto me like I was some sort of pile of shit. That is not okay. Try to write posts with doing that minimally.
I did not insult you, nor do I think you are a pile of shit. I only made neutral observations on what you say were your statements and expressions of personal taste, which I do think were shit.
sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:36 am I wrote that I think that it belongs to games. I tried to express a personal taste here. I didn't say that everything should be like that.
I think 3D belongs to games and only games.
If you were expressing your personal taste, then don’t present it with or as an absolute statement. It is elitist to do so. I leave it at that.

FYI I also think Dragon Ball looks better in 2D at the moment. However, the Toei animators could challenge my belief if they pull it off.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:36 am

People wanting this movie to fail when we know practically nothing about it is absurd. Especially since this is the first new Super material we've had since the Broly movie

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:25 am My dude, it's just a cartoon.
Then why do you express your desire to see it fail as if you care?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:09 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:25 am My dude, it's just a cartoon.
Then why do you express your desire to see it fail as if you care?
Because I think this is a bad idea and hope that a lack of success will result in a better approach next go-round - and I say things on the internet sometimes? That post might literally be the only thing I'll say about this movie.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:15 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 amThey literally said in the teaser thing that they were making it 3D because that's what makes a ton of money in Western theaters. They want this to be bigger than Demon Slayer or whatever that movie was called
They did?? I thought it was still speculation whether it will be entirely in 3D. Do you have the exact quote or screenshot?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:21 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 am
Michsi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:51 am But why do people think it won't be good already?

They literally said in the teaser thing that they were making it 3D because that's what makes a ton of money in Western theaters. They want this to be bigger than Demon Slayer or whatever that movie was called
I might be wrong, but wasn't that what Ajay said the CEO of Toei (?) had once expressed and it wasn't specifically DB related . Also, did they really say about DS? It feels like something they wouldn't actually mention out loud.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:29 am

Skar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:15 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 amThey literally said in the teaser thing that they were making it 3D because that's what makes a ton of money in Western theaters. They want this to be bigger than Demon Slayer or whatever that movie was called
They did?? I thought it was still speculation whether it will be entirely in 3D. Do you have the exact quote or screenshot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvEwAQoNU8Y

22:13 onward. There's NO mention of 3D because of western market or making it bigger than Demon Slayer.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 am

Michsi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:21 am

I might be wrong, but wasn't that what Ajay said the CEO of Toei (?) had once expressed and it wasn't specifically DB related . Also, did they really say about DS? It feels like something they wouldn't actually mention out loud.
Ah sorry, I got my shit mixed up, you're right. But the Toei CEO did say specifically in regards to Dragon Ball that he wanted to make a DB CG movie because that's what draws Western audiences
Cold World (Fanfic)

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:34 am

Skar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:15 am
They didn't. I think he might be mistaking it for what Kozo Morishita said a few years ago. He wanted to one day create a Dragon Ball film in CG to appeal to other kids overseas that primarily watch CG animated films. They said no such thing at Comic Con or in any of the promo material.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 am

This thread is 99% people just whining about this movie being in 3D. Jesus Christ. Just wait until the movie comes out, it turns out it looks great, and they move on to complaining about the next thing.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 pm

I hope they know there's a difference between Pixar and Pixar-ish animated movies and 3D movies that replicate anime. If they went with something like Astroboy then maybe they'd have a point. Then again, Astroboy didn't do so well so they'd need to chase an Alita Battle Angel aesthetic *shudders*.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:31 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:34 amThey didn't. I think he might be mistaking it for what Kozo Morishita said a few years ago. He wanted to one day create a Dragon Ball film in CG to appeal to other kids overseas that primarily watch CG animated films. They said no such thing at Comic Con or in any of the promo material.
I see. Since we're waiting, I like to stay positive and hope for the best. Budget for an anime film is pretty low compared to Hollywood so I don't think it could fail and worst that happens is that performs less than expected. I don't expect it to outperform Broly since that featured so much fan service and two of the most popular antagonists.

Edit:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.co ... -cost/amp/

I found this list of most expensive anime films. Toei's most expensive film was Space Pirate Captain Harlock at #3. It was completely CGI and cost more than the three recent DB movies combined so maybe this new one will be more expensive than usual.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm not particularly a fan of the 3D style they're dabbling with here but then I haven't watched any of the previous modern films either. The attention to appearance for Piccolo does give me some hope that he'll play a meaningful role in this film. Maybe Gohan as well if his daughter is involved in any significant capacity. On the other hand, we saw what happened last time they were inserted onto a battlefield to engage the enemy. Piccolo's stature in might was thrown into even more disarray by Shisami and Gohan was intentionally shrivelled down to a nigh toothless paper pusher who is uncertain if he can even transform into a state that he had stopped using years ago.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18 pm

One design aspect I am hoping they will not fuck up is the coloring. While we can compare the teaser animation to the video games, I would be pretty disappointed if the coloring will be overly saturated, like FighterZ or Kakarot.
So far, though, it seems like the saturation is lower than the games’ animation, but the lighting was a tad to bright.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 pm

Still no news item on Main Website?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:14 pm

I hope from the name that the Pride Troopers are somehow involved, but it will probably just be another random villain out of nowhere who is still somehow implied to be weaker than Beerus. :roll:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147