Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:40 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:27 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 am But if it manage to tell a good story then i think it will sell well. but will it beat Demon slayer movie? that remain to be seen.
Yeah, I do not think so. I believe that Dragon Ball is a bit too juvenile to be THAT popular with theater audiences. I am sure that PART of why Demon Slayer (and Spirited Away for that matter) did so well was because they were able to attract a wider range of age demographics for its audience.
However, it could be in the same ballpark, but not in the same tier.
I feel the only way a DB movie would beat Mugen Train in the box office is if it was a Infinity War/Endgame esque DB movie that’s well written. The North American box office alone would would get the job done if it was executed right.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:32 am

The Demon Slayer anime is probably the greatest carry job i have ever seen for a manga.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:06 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 am But if it manage to tell a good story then i think it will sell well. but will it beat Demon slayer movie? that remain to be seen.
Yeah, I do not think so. I believe that Dragon Ball is a bit too juvenile to be THAT popular with theater audiences. I am sure that PART of why Demon Slayer (and Spirited Away for that matter) did so well was because they were able to attract a wider range of age demographics for its audience.
I mean, was Demon Slayer expected to do so well?
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 am
In the recent interview of V-jump they said this movie will be slice of life story filled with vibrant colors(pop asthetics) of Toriyama's world. However the intensity will be present , its a fresh mix new elements and what Dragon Ball is famous for (Which is of course fighting and telling a story through combat).But if it manage to tell a good story then i think it will sell well. but will it beat Demon slayer movie? that remain to be seen.
Which honestly sounds like Battle of Gods. Which is okay, as long as the fighting is better than it as in that movie until the last five minutes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:38 am

Changing the topic from sales and stuff..
Does anyone here think the #1 and #2 guys could be in fact one and the same? The panel video had all the subtitles say "new character", despite the image seemingly showing two of them. Maybe a transformation?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:44 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:38 am Changing the topic from sales and stuff..
Does anyone here think the #1 and #2 guys could be in fact one and the same? The panel video had all the subtitles say "new character", despite the image seemingly showing two of them. Maybe a transformation?
This is gonna be a crapshoot, but I will not be surprised if this/these character(s) are the titular Superheroes, purely because of the capes.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:02 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:38 am Changing the topic from sales and stuff..
Could be. Translating singularity or plurals is a known nightmare.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:40 am
I feel the only way a DB movie would beat Mugen Train in the box office is if it was a Infinity War/Endgame esque DB movie that’s well written. The North American box office alone would would get the job done if it was executed right.
Any movie needs a good marketing for example Endgame had more than 200 million dollar marketing campaign more than any marvel movie. So yes marketing also play a good role. I dont know how the team will handle marketing for this film because AGAIN marketing play a big role for ANY movie to be succesful. As a media franchise Dragon Ball is huge successful up there with batman and spider man(Three of them earned 27 billion dollar). So i think this movie needs a proper marketing push. Even garbage movie like emoji movie made 217 million dollars because of marketing. AGAIN MARKETING CAN DO WONDERS.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:18 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:31 pm When I saw that the aesthetic motif was "pop", my mind instantly went to the works of Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and the 50's/60's pop art movement in general. That could mean lots of flat tones and stylized comic effects (a commonality in pop art) incorporated into the film's style, which would no doubt fit its super hero theme.
Same here. I'm picturing it pretty well. Like me, AT seems to have an interest in the Japanese superheroes of yonder such as Astroboy, Cyborg 009, and other properties of Shotaro Ishinomori-san, Osamu Tezuka, and possibly Go Nagai. It's easy to imagine the aesthetic when you think back to the comics from those manga-ka along with some of the live-action shows some of them have worked on.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:34 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pmAny movie needs a good marketing for example Endgame had more than 200 million dollar marketing campaign more than any marvel movie. So yes marketing also play a good role. I dont know how the team will handle marketing for this film because AGAIN marketing play a big role for ANY movie to be succesful. As a media franchise Dragon Ball is huge successful up there with batman and spider man(Three of them earned 27 billion dollar). So i think this movie needs a proper marketing push. Even garbage movie like emoji movie made 217 million dollars because of marketing. AGAIN MARKETING CAN DO WONDERS.
Do we have any figures for marketing costs of anime movies? I'm curious if that played a role since some of the higher budget anime films didn't do that great. I've read marketing could range from 50% to 150% of a Hollywood movie's budget but it's never a guarantee since some big budget movies still lose money. Mugen Train might've been an outlier since it was the only anime film to gross more than Spirited Away since 2001. I think Super Hero grossing as much as Broly would be impressive but that would still be less than 1/4th of Mugen Train.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:49 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:40 am

Any movie needs a good marketing for example Endgame had more than 200 million dollar marketing campaign more than any marvel movie. So yes marketing also play a good role. I dont know how the team will handle marketing for this film because AGAIN marketing play a big role for ANY movie to be succesful. As a media franchise Dragon Ball is huge successful up there with batman and spider man(Three of them earned 27 billion dollar). So i think this movie needs a proper marketing push. Even garbage movie like emoji movie made 217 million dollars because of marketing. AGAIN MARKETING CAN DO WONDERS.
Indeed if I recall wasn’t the overall Budget for Broly around 8 million-10 million give or take? I wonder how much of that was used for marketing.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:29 pm

I believe that is one character being displayed in different colors in the same costume design?

Anyways, I really do hope he is the actually foe of the movie.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:45 am

Miracles wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:29 pm
I believe that is one character being displayed in different colors in the same costume design?

Well the Number 2 has two fins on his head while No. 1 has just one, so it's not just colors :think:

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:11 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:45 am
Miracles wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Well the Number 2 has two fins on his head while No. 1 has just one, so it's not just colors :think:
You are correct.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:04 pm

The 1 and 2 on the new characters (maybe one character with two forms?) makes me think of Great Saiyaman and Great Saiyaman 2.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 am

They probably fuse and become 3

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:39 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 am
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:00 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 am
The fusion should be called “IchiNii-San”
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:21 am

I saw the latest trailer and wow in the new movie Goten and Trunks hasn't changed or grown a bit, while Pan has grown, can walk and talk.

They are really lazy when it comes to Goten and Trunks.

https://youtu.be/IXHhMwFsFrc

https://youtu.be/gGHikE91DLI

https://youtu.be/jNCzGVCV53U

Credit goes to youmadbrah for the video who posted it on Neoseeker.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:03 am

Regarding the two new guys, i have a feeling this will be Android Saga Toriyama reduxed. They will be the main foe as 17 and 18 was intended to be. We just had Frieza Saga reduxed in RoF and Broly.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:24 am

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:21 am I saw the latest trailer and wow in the new movie Goten and Trunks hasn't changed or grown a bit, while Pan has grown, can walk and talk.

They are really lazy when it comes to Goten and Trunks.

https://youtu.be/IXHhMwFsFrc

https://youtu.be/gGHikE91DLI

https://youtu.be/jNCzGVCV53U

Credit goes to youmadbrah for the video who posted it on Neoseeker.
I'm confused. Your youtube videos are just that of the initial teaser trailer (which doesn't show Goten and Trunks), some youtuber talking about it, and finally the Annecy 60 video with the very stupid, false and click baity title of "DRAGON BALL SUPER BROLY 2 TRAILER". What is the neo seeker video?