Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:35 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:29 am
Jinto wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am How would you feel about Broly being the next god of destruction ?
I'd feel the universe would be safer with Zeno doing cocaine.
Lol it’ll be fine if he goes berserk you can have Cheelai do the “hey big guy suns getting real low” shtick.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:43 am

The thing is toriyama is not gonna write a serious story anymore. He is past those days and that ended in dragonball in 1995, and if he write story's those will be silly gag story's like yo son goku . I think toei dosent continued dragon ball because the production fall apart in episode 5 of DBS even japan complained about that episode quality, so i think thats why they are taking time to finish 2 or 3 arcs in the DBS manga properly to adapt. Other thing is that no matter how much money DB make if toriyama said no that means no. But yes he is not going back to his old days of being serious those days are over.
I don't agree with this, I think Battle of Gods, for example, is possibly the most serious work in all of Dragonball.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:46 am

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:43 am
The thing is toriyama is not gonna write a serious story anymore. He is past those days and that ended in dragonball in 1995, and if he write story's those will be silly gag story's like yo son goku . I think toei dosent continued dragon ball because the production fall apart in episode 5 of DBS even japan complained about that episode quality, so i think thats why they are taking time to finish 2 or 3 arcs in the DBS manga properly to adapt. Other thing is that no matter how much money DB make if toriyama said no that means no. But yes he is not going back to his old days of being serious those days are over.
I don't agree with this, I think Battle of Gods, for example, is possibly the most serious work in all of Dragonball.
The most serious?
You think the Namek arc or Cell arc were burlesque shows or something?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:47 am

Jinto wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am How would you feel about Broly being the next god of destruction ?
I haven't seen the new broly but I assume you mean that broly and not the one from the 90s movies.

A race like the saiyans involved in godly affairs, seems unlikely but who knows. At this point I am open for anything.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:42 pm

The most serious?
Namek was great and certainly dramatic at points. Cell.... well, I liked the Androids, but most of the story featuring Cell himself was the lowest point of DBZ for me. He's just kinda dopey, there's nothing "serious" about him.

I guess it depends what you mean by "serious". Does it mean like grim edginess, like the Joker "why so serious"? Or does it mean interesting plots, thoughtful exploration of characters and themes, in other words, good writing?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:07 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:42 pm
The most serious?
Namek was great and certainly dramatic at points. Cell.... well, I liked the Androids, but most of the story featuring Cell himself was the lowest point of DBZ for me. He's just kinda dopey, there's nothing "serious" about him.

I guess it depends what you mean by "serious". Does it mean like grim edginess, like the Joker "why so serious"? Or does it mean interesting plots, thoughtful exploration of characters and themes, in other words, good writing?
I was thinking more in line with the gravity of the situation. Besides, those two sagas had significantly fewer gags (per capita) than BoG

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:29 pm

I was thinking more in line with the gravity of the situation. Besides, those two sagas had significantly fewer gags (per capita) than BoG
For me, sometime in the Buu story, Dragonball "outgrew" the escalating stakes and increasing gravity that we saw up until that point. The stakes became SO high that they had to be paired with some gags and silliness for the story to be engaging without becoming mired in melodrama and angst. Anyway, if you look at the Dragonball story as a whole, those more "serious" stories are the aberration, not the norm. If anything, the lighter touch of the DBS movies should be looked at as a return to form!

Anyway, my point was that in terms of "serious" literature considerations like character development, Battle of Gods is easily on par with any of DBZ.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:22 pm

I would really appreciate it if Goku had about the same amount of screentime as he did in movie 11. :thumbup: Give the kids a chance.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:11 am

Goku's character model looks pretty damn good. Pan and Piccolo look acceptable, while that fat kid looks terrible, befitting of DB Online or Dragon Quest character models, but not a movie. The same is the case for those 2 Gamma guys.
I shall look forward to how it will look, once it releases, because I'm sure this is not the final look.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:54 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:22 pm I would really appreciate it if Goku had about the same amount of screentime as he did in movie 11. :thumbup: Give the kids a chance.
We’ve seen Goku in the first teaser, the large comic con poster, and the first trailer.
He will NOT be absent from the main. Anyone who expects, or even hopes, for the contrary is going to disappoint themselves.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:01 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:06 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:45 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 am

This movie will be a sort of “skillcheck” on Dragonballs popularity so to speak. The brand name alone will be carrying this movie HARD. Cause I know for damn sure the animation and story won’t be.

Torn on if the fandom should let it to flop cause if it flops Toei will be like “hmm I guess they don’t want Dragonball anymore” but if it succeeds they will keep giving us this “made in unreal engine, hire this man Nintendo” esque movies.

I feel Something has happened behind the scenes with the franchise ever since 2018 ended that is not good. Look at the difference in promotion & overall lack of direction of the series since then speaks for itself .
Revival of F, Future Trunks arc, TOP and Broly.....are those not "serious" stories?
yes broly was awesome, battle of gods was awesome (most of it is full of gags or comedy), Resurection F was plain garbage.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:15 am

Impressions/news about the trailer.

Pan has the same haircut of his father when he was a kid.
Pan will probably kick the evil kid's ass.
Nozawa said that the the movie will focus on Gohan's family. If they touch his family, Gohan will explode. Imagine the consequences.

The next trailer will be about the RR army

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1448 ... 59/photo/1

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:25 am

I wonder how they will connect the current RRA members back to the original arc. Maybe the new leaders were in the secretariat?

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 am

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:42 pm
The most serious?

I don’t know about Cell being “dopey” … I mean, before he was at full power he pretty gruesomely sucked people dry of their life force and rendered entire cities and towns completely abandoned. He was a pretty serious threat right from the beginning.

There has never been a “Joker edginess” to this series, even Freeza who was an absolute monster I never considered him edgey. The series has always been about the strongest guy vs the strongest guy.

Been a fan of the series since the mid-90’s and I never even contemplated thinking about “storytelling” when it comes to Dragon Ball. I know that may seem weird lol. You get far more storytelling from other shonen, I just don’t think this series is one of them. I think MHA is more of a story based shonen, whereas Dragon Ball not so much. I’m sure there’s plenty of other examples. The best storytelling I came across for this series was the history of the Saiyans at the beginning of the Broly Super movie. And by best, I mean there was actual lore there to connect a history to the present time. Other than that, each story has kinda shoehorned the same idea in with a dash of this instead of a dash of that. Not to say they were bad or poor storytelling, I just didn’t think much of it or watched for this grand story from start to finish. It’s Dragon Ball, I’m invested, I take it for what I see it as and just enjoy it as a fan.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:00 am

In before new perfect cell that absorbs gamma 1 and 2.
Last edited by Gt91 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am

I don’t know about Cell being “dopey” … I mean, before he was at full power he pretty gruesomely sucked people dry of their life force and rendered entire cities and towns completely abandoned. He was a pretty serious threat right from the beginning.

There has never been a “Joker edginess” to this series, even Freeza who was an absolute monster I never considered him edgey. The series has always been about the strongest guy vs the strongest guy.

Been a fan of the series since the mid-90’s and I never even contemplated thinking about “storytelling” when it comes to Dragon Ball. I know that may seem weird lol. You get far more storytelling from other shonen, I just don’t think this series is one of them. I think MHA is more of a story based shonen, whereas Dragon Ball not so much. I’m sure there’s plenty of other examples. The best storytelling I came across for this series was the history of the Saiyans at the beginning of the Broly Super movie. And by best, I mean there was actual lore there to connect a history to the present time. Other than that, each story has kinda shoehorned the same idea in with a dash of this instead of a dash of that. Not to say they were bad or poor storytelling, I just didn’t think much of it or watched for this grand story from start to finish. It’s Dragon Ball, I’m invested, I take it for what I see it as and just enjoy it as a fan.
Well, maybe "hammy" is a better word. He loves to hear himself talk, there's just something really silly about perfect cell! Anyway, I think some of the DBZ movies are sort of edgy, and the Goku Black arc is definitely edgelordy. The entire idea of an "evil Goku" is basically Venom!

Anyway, I don't consider lore to be great storytelling either, for example one of the least interesting aspects to me of Dragon Ball is the history of the Saiyans, especially Bardock. I think the series is underappreciated for the light touch it has with (some) character development and themes.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm

RRA is now under a new leadership and they want to rid the world of the "bad guys". They would probably still think Piccolo and Vegeta are evil, and these androids would be "heroes" to rid the world of evil.

my guess
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:46 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm RRA is now under a new leadership and they want to rid the world of the "bad guys". They would probably still think Piccolo and Vegeta are evil, and these androids would be "heroes" to rid the world of evil.

my guess

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:23 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm RRA is now under a new leadership and they want to rid the world of the "bad guys". They would probably still think Piccolo and Vegeta are evil, and these androids would be "heroes" to rid the world of evil.

my guess
Yeah, I hope it's not as simple as the RRA trying to frame Vegeta and the others. The leadership may have ulterior motives, but the Gammas and the fat kid could legitimately believe the Z-Warriors deserve punishment. While it's hard to go wrong with a simple good vs. evil struggle, Toriyama is a master at making sympathetic antagonists you can just as easily root for (i.e. Jackie Chun, Tenshinhan, Hit, Broly, etc).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another edition of Toriyama's favourite gag: comically small scaling numbers to piss the fans off! You know, Universe 7 having only 28 planets with intelligent life, Freeza training for 4 months, there only being 10 mid-class Saiyans... What do you think it'll be this time? /s

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:28 pm

So, it's been like 17 years since Gero was killed, and how long since Goku dismantled the RRA? 30? The children of the RRA hierarch officers might be stepping up? ok, maybe their grandchildren.

I guess there was another undergrown RRA lab still working somewhere.