Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 am

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:08 pm Yeah, I don't know, it's a funny thing. This isn't to deny that the original Broly movie was popular, but I know a lot of people who don't have much respect for the old Toei DBZ movies (they're "so bad they're good", at best), so the idea of bringing Broly back was met with some eyerolls and some negativity.

Online, that may not have been the case, I didn't read Kanzenshuu at that time so I don't know what people thought here.

With this movie, I see a lot of people saying "fans will reject this!".... but I don't actually SEE the fans saying "I reject this!", I actually see a lot of people that seem to be excited, even despite the CGI, which no one is enthusiastic about, lol. I guess we'll see!
If you don't collect a lot of data you won't know but I think some people went from being really disappointed to accept this catastrophy.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:40 am

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:08 pmbut I know a lot of people who don't have much respect for the old Toei DBZ movies (they're "so bad they're good", at best)
And I know the other way around, just see when Cooler was announced for FighterZ and everyone went wild over him. There are even live reaction videos of crowds for that.

The old Z movies are extremely popular and especially their villains. Their strong staying power is proven by them getting new content every year in various forms of DB media.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:06 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 am If you don't collect a lot of data you won't know but I think some people went from being really disappointed to accept this catastrophy.
You're wrong to say "catastrophe" when the film has not been released yet. However, there's a grain of truth to what you say. I was pretty disappointed when I heard the film was CG, but after seeing the trailer and learning about the premise I became excited! It's not as nice looking as Broly, that's for sure... but it looks better than I expected, and much better than most of the DBS anime.

Even Broly... like I said, learning about that film was VERY disappointing since, frankly, I thought the original Broly film was difficult to sit through. But after seeing the trailer and learning that Toriyama had written it, I became excited! And the film turned out being one of my favorite of the new DBS works.

I think, if there's a lesson here, it's that we shouldn't rush to judgement. Nothing can be a "catastrophe" before it exists, and at the end of the day endlessly speculating about what other people think is just wasting of your time (and the time of the person reading your posts!). Maybe we can try to be a little less frantic and excitable. Maybe we can try to make interesting posts instead of pursuing agendas?
Last edited by capsulecorp on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:40 am
capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:08 pmbut I know a lot of people who don't have much respect for the old Toei DBZ movies (they're "so bad they're good", at best)
And I know the other way around, just see when Cooler was announced for FighterZ and everyone went wild over him. There are even live reaction videos of crowds for that.

The old Z movies are extremely popular and especially their villains. Their strong staying power is proven by them getting new content every year in various forms of DB media.
Ok? My point wasn't that there are NO people that enjoy characters like Cooler. My point was that there are a lot of people who don't, and to them hearing that a whole new new film being made about Broly was cringy, but the film turned out great anyway.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:04 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:10 pm Ok? My point wasn't that there are NO people that enjoy characters like Cooler. My point was that there are a lot of people who don't
And? It works in both ways. I don't get what such point is supposed to prove, beyond your personal opinion. Besides, clearly there are more people who do enjoy the old movies rather than the other way around. Vocal minority of haters is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:28 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:08 pm Online, that may not have been the case, I didn't read Kanzenshuu at that time so I don't know what people thought here.
Kanzenshuu was no exception when the title and titular character were revealed, in the sense that there were a lot of extremely vocal eyerolls on the forum at first. I was no exception, myself; I didn't much care for the idea of another Broly movie, although as more trailers were shown off, the more interested I became in a Toriyama-fied reboot of the character.

Not only was I pleasantly surprised after seeing the movie, it immediately became one of my favorite Dragon Ball stories ever conceived. I think we should employ that same wisdom for Super Hero. Lest we forget that DB isn't all about fancy aesthetics, I'd caution everyone to save their criticism for when they actually watch the film, which they inevitably will.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:02 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:04 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:10 pm Ok? My point wasn't that there are NO people that enjoy characters like Cooler. My point was that there are a lot of people who don't
And? It works in both ways. I don't get what such point is supposed to prove, beyond your personal opinion. Besides, clearly there are more people who do enjoy the old movies rather than the other way around. Vocal minority of haters is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Right, it does work both ways, I was just responding to people acting like it was absurd to imply that there are people who are excited for the new film, or that it's unthinkable that there were people who were disappointed when they heard about DBS Broly.

Pafupafu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pafupafu » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 pm

I think general opinion varies based on history with the series. A lot of us who had been waiting nearly 15-20 years for Toriyama continuing the story of Dragon Ball were the following upon details coming through:

- used to viewing the films as non-canon engagements
- very excited for BoG and it’s original story/villain
- somewhat disappointed that Freeza was revived again for RF
- confused and disappointed that Broly would be canon.

I personally think all three films surpassed expectations in writing, if not execution. This new film has limited details but to see something that isn’t a retread from Toei and Toriyama is exciting and keeping the details shrouded for now does make me believe there is some sort of bigger story/character reveal coming.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:46 am

You know, for all the talk about how this movie is gonna be slice of life, we surprisingly haven't seen much of these scenes in trailers and stuff. It's almost all training or fighting with the Gammas.

I'm trying to recall if we even know that Mr. Satan is gonna appear in this movie in person or not.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:55 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:46 am You know, for all the talk about how this movie is gonna be slice of life, we surprisingly haven't seen much of these scenes in trailers and stuff. It's almost all training or fighting with the Gammas.

I'm trying to recall if we even know that Mr. Satan is gonna appear in this movie in person or not.
Showing slice of life scenes in a trailer for a Shonen movie seems like an awful idea.

People watch Shonen for the battles, not for the slice of life high school filler.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:25 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:55 am People watch Shonen for the battles, not for the slice of life high school filler.
*Action shounen, specifically
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:10 am

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:06 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 am If you don't collect a lot of data you won't know but I think some people went from being really disappointed to accept this catastrophy.
You're wrong to say "catastrophe" when the film has not been released yet. However, there's a grain of truth to what you say. I was pretty disappointed when I heard the film was CG, but after seeing the trailer and learning about the premise I became excited! It's not as nice looking as Broly, that's for sure... but it looks better than I expected, and much better than most of the DBS anime.
Maybe we can try to make interesting posts instead of pursuing agendas?
I used that word to make a point. It's a bit exaggerated but for me this is a catastrophe. Dragon Ball in 3D? No thanks. It should never be, except for the video games. Although 3D animation can look good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXmAurh012s
What we have seen for this upcoming movie though, reminds me of a ps3 game.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:25 pm

Pafupafu wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 pm I think general opinion varies based on history with the series. A lot of us who had been waiting nearly 15-20 years for Toriyama continuing the story of Dragon Ball were the following upon details coming through:

I personally think all three films surpassed expectations in writing, if not execution. This new film has limited details but to see something that isn’t a retread from Toei and Toriyama is exciting and keeping the details shrouded for now does make me believe there is some sort of bigger story/character reveal coming.
I think this is fair. Until BOG, Dragon Ball movies were silly, dumb, Toei-style side stories. They can be fun and I have seen them all, but they're also frustrating and forgettable. While I'm not enthusiastic about CG, I gotta say, having Toriyama writing and creating actually interesting and memorable new characters makes a world of difference in terms of how excited I am about the new movies.

Pafupafu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pafupafu » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:38 am

capsulecorp wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:25 pm
Pafupafu wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 pm I think general opinion varies based on history with the series. A lot of us who had been waiting nearly 15-20 years for Toriyama continuing the story of Dragon Ball were the following upon details coming through:

I think this is fair. Until BOG, Dragon Ball movies were silly, dumb, Toei-style side stories. They can be fun and I have seen them all, but they're also frustrating and forgettable. While I'm not enthusiastic about CG, I gotta say, having Toriyama writing and creating actually interesting and memorable new characters makes a world of difference in terms of how excited I am about the new movies.
Yep! Very exciting. It’s hilarious how the films are now how the main canon story is being pushed forward. Unfortunately there is still a “dumb side story” feel to a lot of the narrative in all of the new content, primarily because it all fits within a set timeline where the ending is already known. All of these new characters, powers, and storylines from Toriyama are so great and refreshing but without real stakes, the weight of it all feels cheapened. It’s coincidentally much closer to the same vibe from the OG films where you knew nothing would stick, no villain would kill a canon character, and everything would pretty much be the same at the end as it was when the film started. That’s ultimately not going to make for memorable stories.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:11 pm

Pafupafu wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:38 am Yep! Very exciting. It’s hilarious how the films are now how the main canon story is being pushed forward. Unfortunately there is still a “dumb side story” feel to a lot of the narrative in all of the new content, primarily because it all fits within a set timeline where the ending is already known. All of these new characters, powers, and storylines from Toriyama are so great and refreshing but without real stakes, the weight of it all feels cheapened. It’s coincidentally much closer to the same vibe from the OG films where you knew nothing would stick, no villain would kill a canon character, and everything would pretty much be the same at the end as it was when the film started. That’s ultimately not going to make for memorable stories.
I agree and disagree about the "side story-ness" of DBS in general. Yes, because we know what's coming at EOZ there may technically be less at stake... but at the same time, Dragon Ball has thrived on subverting consequences for decades now. Characters die, fight on even beyond death, break the rules in order to come back to life... the chance a character might die was never what made the story work, at least for me.

Where it becomes more than a side story is when the character development works. Beerus, Whis and Jaco fit so well into the roster that the world does feel meaningfully expanded. We see Vegeta demonstrate his growth in fun ways, we see Goku continue to slowly become the person he is at EOZ, a person who after a lifetime of being a student, actually takes on a student of his own for the first time. Of course, because this is Goku, these developments are very subtle, but they are there.

...at least, in the manga. The anime completely drops the ball in this department, though if it does adapt Moro we'll see how they handle the Uub scenes there.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Something I consider very important for Dragon Ball success is the constant leap forwards.

This movie has that feel. Pan and Gohan being the poster with noticeable changes right in the trailer.
BoG also had that same feel since it opened a whole Universe(s).

The Broly movie did not. It's like a self contained story with it's effects easy to ignore(maybe this will change with Broly doing something).

Just in that aspect this movie has me way more hyped than the Broly movie. We started the Super "era" with a bang but ever since it's been downhill hostage in the "lost decade".

We need to move forward and this movie seems like a step in that direction.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 am

LightBing wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:53 pm Something I consider very important for Dragon Ball success is the constant leap forwards.

This movie has that feel. Pan and Gohan being the poster with noticeable changes right in the trailer.
BoG also had that same feel since it opened a whole Universe(s).

The Broly movie did not. It's like a self contained story with it's effects easy to ignore(maybe this will change with Broly doing something).

Just in that aspect this movie has me way more hyped than the Broly movie. We started the Super "era" with a bang but ever since it's been downhill hostage in the "lost decade".

We need to move forward and this movie seems like a step in that direction.
RoF and Super Broly are better viewed as NOT standalone movies. They are continuations of the universe BoG opened. The three are basically a manga arc about the Saiyans in movie form because Toriyama dont want to draw manga anymore.

I agree that Super Hero will be something new entirely tho. Excited for it.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:05 pm

Retan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:02 pm My biggest gripe with Broly in CGI ist that I remember they made his hair way to big.
Huh? Do you know that's actually a form from that weird Dragon Ball Z: The Real 4-D thing?

Also the funny thing about this content that we have something like God Fusion Goku that shares a design similar to SSJB Gogeta, so yea you could say this content is almost a beta BR movie lol
HeroR wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:38 pmHell, Toriyama's original script for Resurrection 'F' is nearly 1:1 what is in the movie outside of fixing a plot hole...
What plot hole?
Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:32 amDragon Ball is the one of the highest grossing media franchise in history and THE highest grossing media franchise for Toei and Shuiesha.
every Shueisha properties are-
Dragon Ball- 27.7 billion
YU GI OH!!- 17.1 billion
Fist Of The North Star- 14.8 bilion
One Piece- 12.7 billion.
Naruto- 3.62 billion
It could be the reason they know regardless what they put out it will sell.
You know the sad thing is that this franchise is this big being administered by people without vision that lacks the creativity needed to expand the Dragon Ball-verse further upon.

If DB had serious people ahead of its demand, we could even dream to rival Pokémon, but that's just a dream...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:57 pm

Next stuff I'm looking forward about this movie - Goten/Trunks designs (if they appear) and main theme song.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:50 am

Noah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:05 pm
What plot hole?
Bulma and Freeza claiming they had met each other on Namek(they did not).