Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by Nevaeh » Fri May 07, 2021 7:35 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:30 pm
Nevaeh wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm With all this pre-production time ya'll really think they'll waste a brand new movie on a retelling? I seriously highly doubt that

This will be something new
Wr have zero idea of how much pre-production time the film has actually had.
We first heard about a new movie being in the works a couple months after Broly came out. So around 3 years of pre-production

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 07, 2021 7:38 pm

So, the Granolah arc has an expiration date, then? if the movie premiers on june 2022, the arc should end before that.
The movie could very well take us past EoZ, and like BoG, introduce us to a new setting.

I really don't want the Moro arc to be turned into a movie, I rather go to the theater and be surprised, to not know what's gonna be there. No matter how greatly done the Moro movie could possible be.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Nevaeh wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:35 pm
Nevaeh wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm With all this pre-production time ya'll really think they'll waste a brand new movie on a retelling? I seriously highly doubt that

This will be something new
We first heard about a new movie being in the works a couple months after Broly came out. So around 3 years of pre-production
There is zero indication that that came to pass, though. A lot has changed since then. Furthermore, we don't even know when production will begin and for how long it will last.

Don't assume the production is being spread out equally or that the film has been worked on for three years, thus having a large lead time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm
Nevaeh wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:35 pm

There is zero indication that that came to pass, though. A lot has changed since then. Furthermore, we don't even know when production will begin and for how long it will last.

Don't assume the production is being spread out equally or that the film has been worked on for three years, thus having a large lead time.
The latest news story on kanzenshuu has a translated 2018 comment from Akio Iyoku saying preparation for the next film was underway

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri May 07, 2021 8:10 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm The latest news story on kanzenshuu has a translated 2018 comment from Akio Iyoku saying preparation for the next film was underway
That still doesn't say much, for all we know the "preparation phase" could have finished as recently as last week with production beginning now.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 07, 2021 8:24 pm

Yasai9001 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Peach wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:56 pm A Cooler movie, maybe? There's a lot of potential for good storylines with a Frieza still alive for him to interact with.

I hope it takes place around the End of Z.
I hope it takes place around the End of Z, as well.

As for Cooler, though, how would that really fit? If we're to fit Cooler in, we'd have to change pretty much his entire origin as an explanation as to why he'd show up in the first place. Having him related to Freeza could definitely be a possibility, albeit the lack of mentioning in regards to him would have to be taken care of.

I mean, perhaps he was an outcast? Or maybe he's just one of the people from the clan who's decided to go ahead and try to make a rise to power. That'd be a more interesting storyline imo. And having it at the End of Z would be a nice chance to have the younger generation get involved with everything as well.

Cooler would be interesting, though tweaks will definitely have to come with him like it did for Broly.
I pitched this idea on Kanzenshuu before, but my idea for how to handle Cooler would be to establish that he was the black sheep of the family, due to not being naturally strong like Freeza and Cold, and that at some point, Cold banished Cooler from the family empire, and he would’ve spent all those years training across the multiverse to get as strong as possible. The impetus for the conflict would then be him showing up to try and kill Freeza, which would force Freeza to ask Goku for help.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 pm

I'm guessing they're finally ready to hit the ground running post-pandemic with this thing. We probably would've seen it this year if that hadn't happened.

Horrifyingly enough, a 2022 release would put it at seven years after the start of Dragon Ball Super... which is the same amount of time between the start of Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:44 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:34 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:17 pm
Yasai9001 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:26 pm

Why do you believe that?
Cooler is an absolutely horrible character with an absolutely HORRIBLE design. The absolute worst of the worst. Not to mention, he is literally just another Freeza ripoff. (Another character who’s design and background I HATE!) He appeared all the way back in mid Z. There’s literally no way he could match Goku and Vegeta post Granolah Arc the way they will be then. Not with 4 months of training, not even with 4 YEARS of brutal harsh training. It would be incredibly bad writing if that was the case.

Cooler is literally just an even worse version of Freeza, a character I never wanted to see being revived in the first place. He’s literally just your stereotypical “Monster” that appears in all sorts of fiction and cartoons. He doesn’t have a cool, and laidback design like Super Janemba had from the Fusion Reborn movie.
Well, that's just your opinion, man. I for one love Cooler, from his design to his motivation, to his connection with Frieza. OBJECTIVELY he is an infinitely more interesting and compelling character than Janemba will ever be. You call Cooler a stereotypical “Monster”, but that is literally what Super Janemba is lol. Janemba is literally just some random kid that was turned into an unstoppable monster on accident, the guy cannot even talk lol. Sure, Janemba looks cool, but that's where all interest in that character dies for me. Janemba's movie was literally just a platform to showcase Gogeta, Cooler didn't need to have the heroes showcase any new ability, he was the showcase.
“Interesting” and “compelling” are subjective terms and have no ground in any form of objectivity Extreme_kai... I actually find Super Janemba to be far more interesting and compelling BECAUSE he was a character that didn’t speak very much and the fact that he was literally born from all the evil contained and build up within that soul cleansing machine makes his story very interesting... (Much like Buu who had existed since time immemorial!) A very “mysterious” DEMON in indeed.. The fact that he had so little in common with the average folk in the multiverse is EXACTLY what made him so “interesting”, “compelling” and indeed, MYSTERIOUS, imo...

(Much more so than some young, primitive, random mutant of a random super powerful mortal alien race with some dumb transformations.)

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Fri May 07, 2021 8:51 pm

I, too, hope it's not a Moro adaptation. And if it's Cooler (or anyone else similar), then I hope they put in the effort to make it good.

A new scenario would be neat as well.

Anyone else I wouldn't mind seeing if they were tweaked a little wouldn't really make sense now. Imagine if Garlic Jr. showed up. Beerus would just erase him. 😂

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 pm

I wanna do a vacation movie. Like, a quiet story that winds up with a big fight at the end but is mostly about a character being developed. Or maybe an adventure story, where Broli searches for Baa and learns about human nature along the way when he saves Baa from some poachers? We can't copy the same formula as Movie #20!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri May 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Great news! I wonder when the movie will take place and how that will affect the anime if it ever returns. If it took place after the Granolah arc, would the anime have a retelling of Broly, Moro, and Granolah? I hope it's revealed in the announcement.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm

I feel like Goku Black & Zamasu have a better chance being the main movie villain instead of Cell or Coola.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 pm

I kinda hope the movie might just end the series at this point. By 2022 we will be nearing the completion of the Granolah arc or hell maybe even done it. I am kind of tired of the 10-year time gap being filled. Unless the series shifts focus to stories post end of Z or something It might take a bit to get me truly pumped. Like I'll probably be excited and watch it as soon as possible and what have you because Dragonball is just my favorite thing ever, but I don't want it to keep just treading water.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri May 07, 2021 9:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm I feel like Goku Black & Zamasu have a better chance being the main movie villain instead of Cell or Coola.
Really? Why?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 07, 2021 10:36 pm

I'd love a remake of the Gokuu Black arc. I just get the feeling that this won't happen. :(
She/Her
bisexual milf

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 pm

Hopefully the premise is unique and engaging because the previous two have been fairly underwhelming, in my opinion. I'd rather not see a retread of yet another classic face; Cooler being the hotly discussed choice for the potential blast from the past.
Mad Swami wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 pm I kinda hope the movie might just end the series at this point. By 2022 we will be nearing the completion of the Granolah arc or hell maybe even done it. I am kind of tired of the 10-year time gap being filled. Unless the series shifts focus to stories post end of Z or something It might take a bit to get me truly pumped. Like I'll probably be excited and watch it as soon as possible and what have you because Dragonball is just my favorite thing ever, but I don't want it to keep just treading water.
I find it amazing how the intermissions between these grandiose events that compromise the safety and/or integrity of Earth are so much shorter compared to what we're used to in the original manga where the characters could go for over half a decade without encountering a new threat. Now it's like prospective challengers looking to throw down the gauntlet are emerging one after the other within the span of a few months to a year or two at most.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri May 07, 2021 11:19 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm I feel like Goku Black & Zamasu have a better chance being the main movie villain instead of Cell or Coola.
Imagine a Cell and Cooler teaming up with Frieza and Broly o_o

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat May 08, 2021 12:06 am

I think it'd be pretty weird if this was a new story. For better or worse the Moro arc includes some fairly important development, with Goku being able to use Complete Ultra Instinct at will by the end. Like, what do you even do at that point? (which is my same concern with the current arc in the manga)

Not to mention that a new movie will almost certainly necessitate new forms, since we've seen that in every modern Dragon Ball film so far. Gotta keep selling those limited release Figuarts and giving Xenoverse 2 more DLC.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 08, 2021 12:11 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:01 pm
EDIT: Oh and keep Yamamuro FAR away from this.
BRING BACK YAMAMURO :P

I agree it will be boring af if its moro or Cooler whatever
Mostly active on discord.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:07 am

ZombieVito wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:53 pm
Really? Why?
Because those two are very popular and many people would buy merchadise of MUI of Black or Megerd Zamasu. I have a feeling the movie is going to be something that no one will see coming.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/