Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:36 pm

So, everyone is excited that they maintained Goku’s rotating hair in CGI, right?

...right? (The big part is always angled away from the viewer in there-quarters and profile shots, even if that means it switches sides, as in the manga.)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:36 am

I like how they maintained it, but I hope it flows when there's wind.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:35 am

Cipher wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:36 pm So, everyone is excited that they maintained Goku’s rotating hair in CGI, right?

...right? (The big part is always angled away from the viewer in there-quarters and profile shots, even if that means it switches sides, as in the manga.)
Yes! When the Toriyama comment was released and theories of the movie being CG arised, that was my main concern.

I think they did one hell of a job with Goku’s model, and honestly the more I see it the more I like it. And it’s dope that thanks to CG we will see Toriyama-like watercolor shading.

I think Goku’s model is much better than any Goku model done for any DB videogame, which makes me hopeful the animation and overall aesthetic will also surpass anything we’ve seen from CG cutscenes in DB videogames.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 am

To me cgi isn't anime. It really isn't.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 am To me cgi isn't anime. It really isn't.
You’re wrong but okay
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 am
You’re wrong but okay
I'm not wrong when I say to me. To me indicates a feeling. It just isn't anime to me. It is animated so yes it's animation but I don't feel like I'm watching anime with cgi. I just can't watch it. Dragon ball has always been 2d and it should remain that way. I want drawings, not models! Models should be for video games, not anime! I'll completely stop watching anime if this becomes the new standard.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:39 am

Yeah honestly the writers this time had guts, I'll give them that. The safe route here would have been to canonize Janemba or Cooler and make a movie about them, called "Dragon Ball Super: Janemba/Cooler". This would have generated the most internet traffic.

But they had balls this time I'll give them that. Showing Piccolo, Krillin, kid Pan, and some random fish cosplayer as the first stars of this movie was a bold move.

Will it pay off? Nah I doubt it :lol: It won't generate the same amount of hype and internet traffic Broly did. But for once they went outside their comfort zone.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:01 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:39 am Yeah honestly the writers this time had guts, I'll give them that. The safe route here would have been to canonize Janemba or Cooler and make a movie about them, called "Dragon Ball Super: Janemba/Cooler". This would have generated the most internet traffic.

But they had balls this time I'll give them that. Showing Piccolo, Krillin, kid Pan, and some random fish cosplayer as the first stars of this movie was a bold move.

Will it pay off? Nah I doubt it :lol: It won't generate the same amount of hype and internet traffic Broly did. But for once they went outside their comfort zone.
I know why you're saying comfort zone. But this is not going out of comfort zone. To go out of your comfort zone is to push yourself to do things you're scared of doing. Why not make up new words and say go out of sure money zone? lol.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:01 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:39 am Yeah honestly the writers this time had guts, I'll give them that. The safe route here would have been to canonize Janemba or Cooler and make a movie about them, called "Dragon Ball Super: Janemba/Cooler". This would have generated the most internet traffic.

I know why you're saying comfort zone. But this is not going out of comfort zone. To go out of your comfort zone is to push yourself to do things you're scared of doing. Why not make up new words and say go out of sure money zone? lol.
"Safe money zone" when we don't even know who the main villain is (a story is carried by its villain) and there's the whole CGI debacle? Are you sure about that :think:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:29 am

Cipher wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:36 pm So, everyone is excited that they maintained Goku’s rotating hair in CGI, right?

Yeah, I'm glad they chose to do this.

Games can get away with the weird fixed side spikes, but it'd be weird to see that in any addition of the anime. I believe this was one of their first, if not the very first, concern they addressed when they chose to go the 3D route.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:06 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:01 am

"Safe money zone" when we don't even know who the main villain is (a story is carried by its villain) and there's the whole CGI debacle? Are you sure about that :think:
What are you quoting?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:29 am

Games can get away with the weird fixed side spikes, but it'd be weird to see that in any addition of the anime. I believe this was one of their first, if not the very first, concern they addressed when they chose to go the 3D route.
You mean for the trailer? Or did you get some confirmation this will be fully 3d?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 am

Skar wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:28 am Was it stated the entire movie's going to be CGI? The concept art looks like regular 2D animation so I thought it would be a mix of both like the last movies.
There's still no confirmation but unlike all the other movies the teaser was in CGI and they are making a big deal of it. If it' not 100%, expect a big part of it to be.

As for the 2D concept art it's normal for even videogames to have it for reference.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:47 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 am
Skar wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:28 am Was it stated the entire movie's going to be CGI? The concept art looks like regular 2D animation so I thought it would be a mix of both like the last movies.
There's still no confirmation but unlike all the other movies the teaser was in CGI and they are making a big deal of it. If it' not 100%, expect a big part of it to be.

As for the 2D concept art it's normal for even videogames to have it for reference.
I'm not sure I can continue being a Dragon Ball fan of the anime if that's where they're going with the license. I guess I'll have to live with reading manga only then.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:57 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 am
Michsi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:29 am

You mean for the trailer? Or did you get some confirmation this will be fully 3d?
No, I just figured the consensus for now is that at least a significant portion of it will be in 3D and Goku would likely appear a lot. Toriyama's comment and the teaser point to 3D.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:23 am

I'm not sure Toei will gamble on a full-blown CGI movie. Every time Toei have dipped their toe into that area, it's never worked out well for them. With either the film bombing at the box office or the films just looking like dog shit. I honestly think the teaser was more of a placeholder than anything, but I wouldn't mind if the movie was more a blend of 2D and 3D animation like the previous 3 three films.

If Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (I just can't get over how horrible that title is) gonna be 100% a CGI film, it gonna Toei's first attempt in nearly ten years, so they must really be very confident in the technology they have built to support this movie visually.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:42 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 am
You’re wrong but okay
I'm not wrong when I say to me. To me indicates a feeling. It just isn't anime to me. It is animated so yes it's animation but I don't feel like I'm watching anime with cgi. I just can't watch it. Dragon ball has always been 2d and it should remain that way. I want drawings, not models! Models should be for video games, not anime! I'll completely stop watching anime if this becomes the new standard.
Anime is a cultural medium. Obviously you have preferences, but just because a Japanese film uses 3D CG or a style you are not familiar with, it does not mean it isn’t anime.
Call me pedantic, but I am telling the truth.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 am

Anime is Japan's shorthand of the loan english word animation (anɪˈmeɪʃ(ə)n), it doesn't encompass any style in particular. Don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:58 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 amThere's still no confirmation but unlike all the other movies the teaser was in CGI and they are making a big deal of it. If it' not 100%, expect a big part of it to be.

Oh ok. I guess we have to wait for the first trailer to be sure. CGI has come a long way in the DB video games from what I've seen so maybe it will look good here. I'm not of a big fan of CGI in anime so I still hope it isn't the whole movie.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:42 am

You’re wrong but okay
Anime is a cultural medium. Obviously you have preferences, but just because a Japanese film uses 3D CG or a style you are not familiar with, it does not mean it isn’t anime.
Call me pedantic, but I am telling the truth.
Look, things have been overlooked here. I never said cgi or 3d animation's isn't anime, I wrote that to me it isn't. What I was saying is that it's not wrong to say that it isn't to me. I also followed up on saying "It is animated so yes it's animation but I don't feel like I'm watching anime with cgi. I just can't watch it. Dragon ball has always been 2d and it should remain that way. I want drawings, not models! Models should be for video games, not anime! I'll completely stop watching anime if this becomes the new standard.".

This is the last time I'm repeating myself. If something is in 3D then I just don't get that anime feeling from it. I think 3D belongs to games and only games.

And here's the reply that seeminly was overseen:
You’re wrong but okay
I'm not wrong when I say to me. To me indicates a feeling. It just isn't anime to me.

It is animated so yes it's animation but I don't feel like I'm watching anime with cgi. I just can't watch it. Dragon ball has always been 2d and it should remain that way. I want drawings, not models! Models should be for video games, not anime! I'll completely stop watching anime if this becomes the new standard.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 am Anime is Japan's shorthand of the loan english word animation (anɪˈmeɪʃ(ə)n), it doesn't encompass any style in particular. Don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand?
I agree. And I never said it wasn't. I just said that "to me it isn't anime" - which means in my eyes that just isn't how anime should be.