Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:35 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:12 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:06 am Talk about a huge marketing disaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeqXWzaizY ,Toei claimed 150 videos within 1 hour from the youtuber Totally not Mark (awesome youtuber by the way) which is approximately 3 years worth of content. Toei was trending on twitter few minutes ago.
How does this correlate to a marketing disaster?
people on twitter were furious and saying not to support any toei related products. This could effect on marketing campaign for the film since he said not to support any toei related product and specifically the upcoming film.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:43 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:35 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:06 am Talk about a huge marketing disaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeqXWzaizY ,Toei claimed 150 videos within 1 hour from the youtuber Totally not Mark (awesome youtuber by the way) which is approximately 3 years worth of content. Toei was trending on twitter few minutes ago.
people on twitter were furious and saying not to support any toei related products. This could effect on marketing campaign for the film since he said not to support any toei related product and specifically the upcoming film.
Key words: "people on twitter." They're part of a bubble within a bubble within a bubble. I highly doubt a substantial amount of fans will boycott the movie over a YouTube channel getting content deleted. As PurestEvil said though, there's a more appropriate thread to discuss it here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46953, where discussion has already been ongoing.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:48 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:43 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:35 am
Key words: "people on twitter." They're part of a bubble within a bubble within a bubble. I highly doubt a substantial amount of fans will boycott the movie over a YouTube channel getting content deleted. As PurestEvil said though, there's a more appropriate thread to discuss it here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46953, where discussion has already been ongoing.
Ok Ok thank you.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:50 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:48 am Ok Ok thank you.
Sure, no worries, man.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:38 am

This is not the first time that TOEI had a crush on youtube, they are actually quite known for this and it was even worse years before.
My profile got actually banned many years ago, for uploading international versions of Chala Head Chala openings, including some rare chinese ones.
They are quite strict about their properties being handled by 3rd parties, so it is actually suprising, that many of the other channels are still going.

Also a reason why we can't share digital copies and scans of manga and other copyrighted materials here on Kanzenshuu for safety reasons.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:05 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:38 am This is not the first time that TOEI had a crush on youtube, they are actually quite known for this and it was even worse years before.
My profile got actually banned many years ago, for uploading international versions of Chala Head Chala openings, including some rare chinese ones.
They are quite strict about their properties being handled by 3rd parties, so it is actually suprising, that many of the other channels are still going.

Also a reason why we can't share digital copies and scans of manga and other copyrighted materials here on Kanzenshuu for safety reasons.
At this point they are completely abusing him because at one point Toei came to him for promoting a series of concerts, this is absolutely disgusting, sickening and horrendous.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:16 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:05 am
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:38 am This is not the first time that TOEI had a crush on youtube, they are actually quite known for this and it was even worse years before.

At this point they are completely abusing him because at one point Toei came to him for promoting a series of concerts, this is absolutely disgusting, sickening and horrendous.
I have commented on this in the thread itself and to quote myself, you can't make money from something you don't have.
If that was the case, well, their strike was justified.
I am sorry for the off-topic here :(

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:56 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:16 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:05 am

I have commented on this in the thread itself and to quote myself, you can't make money from something you don't have.
If that was the case, well, their strike was justified.
I am sorry for the off-topic here :(
Yeah I just read that post but the damage is done even Penguinz0(awesome youtuber) uploaded that video, he himself also a DB fan and anime fan in general and his subscriber base is huge(9 million+),at this point Toei need every little favour they can get for the marketing campaign and then this happens.Marketing is THE KEY for any movie to Succeed globaly dosesnt matter how much big name franchise it is.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:29 am

This is a thread for the upcoming 2022 theatrical film, Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero. If you wish to discuss any other aspect of the franchise, please find (or create) a more-appropriate thread to do so. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:44 am

Actually on topic going from this marketing discussion.
I think this movie actually shown that Japanese companies want to jump up on the bandwagon of convetions like Comic Con, Star Wars Celebration and DC Fandome, as they shown some materials for this movie in advance and for western audiences in the same way we get to see logos for western shows and movies only.

i don't see this movie lacking in marketing in comparison to the others, as we got to see the snippets early, before we usually got just some placeholder logo and general info about it happening, with some teaser long after, then poster and finally trailer close to release.

We still haven't got a proper poster and trailer for this one, nor any official synopsis, so it's hard to judge and see where the marketing and DB is dead comments come from besides lack of official information about move itself and no animated material for four years straight (not counting DB Heroes).

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:36 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:44 am Actually on topic going from this marketing discussion.
I think this movie actually shown that Japanese companies want to jump up on the bandwagon of convetions like Comic Con, Star Wars Celebration and DC Fandome, as they shown some materials for this movie in advance and for western audiences in the same way we get to see logos for western shows and movies only.

i don't see this movie lacking in marketing in comparison to the others, as we got to see the snippets early, before we usually got just some placeholder logo and general info about it happening, with some teaser long after, then poster and finally trailer close to release.

We still haven't got a proper poster and trailer for this one, nor any official synopsis, so it's hard to judge and see where the marketing and DB is dead comments come from besides lack of official information about move itself and no animated material for four years straight (not counting DB Heroes).
Meanwhile ONE PIECE RED not only got the release date but also Gorō Taniguchi who directed code geass The anime,related movies and many other things.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:49 pm

I get the impression that there isn’t really a ton of hype for this movie. Maybe I’m just being cynical, but this doesn’t seem to be something that’s going to leave as big of an impact as its predecessor.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:31 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:36 pm Meanwhile ONE PIECE RED not only got the release date but also Gorō Taniguchi who directed code geass The anime,related movies and many other things.
One Piece's new movie is gonna be about one of it's most important characters (Shanks) finally being shown fighting, so no wonder it's getting special treatment. That's a huge difference compared to Super Hero which seems to be an easygoing movie.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:14 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:49 pm I get the impression that there isn’t really a ton of hype for this movie. Maybe I’m just being cynical, but this doesn’t seem to be something that’s going to leave as big of an impact as its predecessor.
That's mostly because nothing is really known yet. They haven't shown anything interesting yet. Wait until an actual trailer

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:22 am

OLKv3 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:14 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:49 pm I get the impression that there isn’t really a ton of hype for this movie. Maybe I’m just being cynical, but this doesn’t seem to be something that’s going to leave as big of an impact as its predecessor.
That's mostly because nothing is really known yet. They haven't shown anything interesting yet. Wait until an actual trailer
Jump Festa is where it's at. If they don't show a full trailer at that time, suspicion will arise.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:38 am

Also to add to the comments about "Why is TOEI not taking advantage of the fans promoting their stuff and be happy that they do?"

Well, they definitely probably are happy, as Dragon Ball is one of their most succesful series in the west, but on the term of popularity and marketing.
Marketing is linked directly to sales. In a marketing department, you support your properties, make marketing plans spaning from months to a year in advance and link it to KPIs (key performance indicators) and employ a core strategy for your products and employees.
There are sets of practices and tools by which you can measure your success or downfall along the way and decide what to do next or react accordingly - be it for online or offline media.

As fans on youtube or twitter can be measured only by the likes, or the reach, you can decide hey, this guy is potentially making some impact, we can get in touch with him and discuss our strategy on how to make our campaign more succesful through him. But it is more of a passive contribution unless you can measure the success of that particular person, from basically deducing the rise in buying such products after launching such deal and compare it to the numbers and criterias you have from other sources + to link some digital tools that you use for such a thing, to get concrete numbers. You have also more options, like promoting something in particular, or lead the people to web page, video or landing page - basically call to action of your choice, that leads the customer to do what you need him to do.

So it's not like the marketing teams of those companies are like, look, these guys are doing so much while we are sitting here, nope.
But from that point of view, you in fact do not contribute in a way that can be measured and controlled directly and are taken into an account at last. For example Lucasfilm took an approach to nurture the fanbase and support fan films and fan works with contests and endorsement, because it doesn't damages the business and improves their image and link it with desired internal goal that you have set-up for yourself internally and then, check if it works based on the criteria you set up, what are the learnings etc.

Popularity alone doesn't have to mean anything for you as a company. For example, if you are promoting yourself as professional or linkedin, you might get 100+ likes and connections on your account, but in your professional live, how many jobs did that brought to you? Which kind of jobs? Did it improve your money? And lot more... With that in account, you can decide to change your approach, your way of promoting yourself, the clients you look for, your practices, your pricing - again a lot more options that you can think of.
Or video or prompt to help some global cause - it gets thousands of likes, but how did those virtual likes helped the cause? When you look at them for what they are, they didn't unless you go investigate if it for example spread some awarness and forced some action that can be measured.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:09 pm

I've started watching Kengan Ashura, and whilst some of the faces in CGI can seem a bit off, the action scenes are actually done really quite well and feel very dynamic and engaging.

This does offset some of my worries with the CGI tone of the film.

But honestly I thought the trailer and style looked way better than I was expecting and looks to be a far more interesting story than Broly which after the minus part was just here's broly see you in an hour (even though it was a visual feast).

I think ultimately I'd take a more engaging story over god tier animation (though we shouldn't have to choose.)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:56 am

For the pros of CG, at least the artstyle will be consistent and they can focus on the action and plot.

Sure, I will miss the quality and art of Broly movie, which I consider to be closest to Toriyama's current artstyle, more so, when I read some interview here on Kanzenshuu that Toriyama actually selected the guy for Broly movie himself.
But in all honesty, Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F do not look that great, I think that even with stark contrast to the original series, Yo! Son Goku And Friends special looks way better and first 90 or so episodes of Super are pain to look at.

From the teaser, it looks far from crap, Pan actually looked impressive. I think they have nailed the look itself, but the hard work will show off with animation itself and I am hoping that they took some inspiration from Arc Sys about how they manipulate the model meshes and animate shadows.
With a one difference, that I think it won't emulate that 24 and variable PFS the classic anime had and will go for 60 being a 3D.

We'll see, can't wait to check the movie and I hope it comes out next year in spring!
Kind of bummer that release date was not announced yet.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:36 am

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:56 am For the pros of CG, at least the artstyle will be consistent and they can focus on the action and plot.

Sure, I will miss the quality and art of Broly movie, which I consider to be closest to Toriyama's current artstyle, more so, when I read some interview here on Kanzenshuu that Toriyama actually selected the guy for Broly movie himself.
But in all honesty, Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F do not look that great, I think that even with stark contrast to the original series, Yo! Son Goku And Friends special looks way better and first 90 or so episodes of Super are pain to look at.

From the teaser, it looks far from crap, Pan actually looked impressive. I think they have nailed the look itself, but the hard work will show off with animation itself and I am hoping that they took some inspiration from Arc Sys about how they manipulate the model meshes and animate shadows.
With a one difference, that I think it won't emulate that 24 and variable PFS the classic anime had and will go for 60 being a 3D.

We'll see, can't wait to check the movie and I hope it comes out next year in spring!
Kind of bummer that release date was not announced yet.
Not only pan but the shot of Goku was also awesome in my opinion.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:16 am

Twitter account teasing info drop tomorrow.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.