Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 am Anime is Japan's shorthand of the loan english word animation (anɪˈmeɪʃ(ə)n), it doesn't encompass any style in particular. Don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand?
I know full well what the etymology of “anime” is.
sangofe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm
This is the last time I'm repeating myself. If something is in 3D then I just don't get that anime feeling from it. I think 3D belongs to games and only games.
This is some “modern art isn’t art” tier narrow-mindedness.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:20 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 am Anime is Japan's shorthand of the loan english word animation (anɪˈmeɪʃ(ə)n), it doesn't encompass any style in particular. Don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand?
This is the last time I'm repeating myself. If something is in 3D then I just don't get that anime feeling from it. I think 3D belongs to games and only games.
You're wrong on the adjective. It's called personal taste.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:13 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 pm
There is a difference between “I don’t like CGI animation much” and “People shouldn’t make films with CGI animation”, the latter of which was your position. I already considered your personal taste; it’s the stuffy, selfish ATTITUDE of “people shouldn’t do art like this” you emitted that is the problem. It is downright elitist and illogical.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:23 am I'm not sure Toei will gamble on a full-blown CGI movie. Every time Toei have dipped their toe into that area, it's never worked out well for them. With either the film bombing at the box office or the films just looking like dog shit. I honestly think the teaser was more of a placeholder than anything, but I wouldn't mind if the movie was more a blend of 2D and 3D animation like the previous 3 three films.

If Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (I just can't get over how horrible that title is) gonna be 100% a CGI film, it gonna Toei's first attempt in nearly ten years, so they must really be very confident in the technology they have built to support this movie visually.
It took them many years to make this movie. They must be expecting a high return on their investment, one which also considers the lost opportunities (i.e. their opportunity cost) as if they had released this in 2D they may have been able to pump it out way earlier than 2022. Unlike what many YouTubers were saying, Toriyama wrote the script super early this time around so they probably had the material to work with as soon as Broly was released.

The only way they are getting a high return is if the movie looks fantastic and attracts lots of people. It won’t beat Demon Slayer, but I could see this movie being able to make them 200+ million USD if the trailers look good, they simulrelease it and advertise it well. At a minimum, it will make 100 million dollars which is still a fine result.

Or maybe they actually decided to switch to 3D to make more movies once the bulk of the work was done. I wouldn’t be surprised if the following movie comes out in 2023 for example.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Late to the party.

- CGI; well I'll wait and see but not confident.
Remember when Dragon Ball Super premiered, a Worldwide event and Toei didn't even bother to give time for the animators to work on it. Remember episode 5? Hell, half the Super anime was basically crap animation due to poor scheduling.

So we're in a pandemic and apparently staff is short. Once again my confidence is low.

Regarding character designs/story.
Hell yeah! Time-skip? Pan having a role and potentially Piccolo? Super Hero theme with less focus on combat(I loved Broly but that was way too much punching).
Hoping for Great Saiyaman 1 and 2 return.

Eagerly waiting for more information. Everything that brings us close to EoZ is a win in my book.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:13 pm

There is a difference between “I don’t like CGI animation much” and “People shouldn’t make films with CGI animation”, the latter of which was your position. I already considered your personal taste; it’s the stuffy, selfish ATTITUDE of “people shouldn’t do art like this” you emitted that is the problem. It is downright elitist and illogical.
Have to stand for Sangofe here, calling him elitist is actually what you do… the one and only truth for all. He doesn’t like CGI, same as I don’t like Mozart. He was a musical genius, but not my taste at all as I prefer to listen to Wagnerians, etc.
Also, I love The Last Jedi movie and to some it destroyed their childhoods.

Why do you have such a huge problem and feel to be offended by someone’s opinion so hard is beyond me.

I am not happy about CGI either, but if the movie will be good and they will pull it off, sure, why not. But I can see sangofe’s concers, as TOEI has inconsistent quality and frankly, BOG and ROF do not look good at all, Super looks like crap until Tournament Of Power and besides some weird off model noments, Broly is the best looking production and really high budget looking feature.
I am a bit worried actually, as to pull off good looking 3D flick emulating 2D is actually gargantuan task and nope, I don’t believe covid is the reason as they told on comic con, they are pushing limits and trying new stuff… when looking on shows like SW Resistance or Netflix Saint Seiya, that is definitely not the way to go and so far based on so little, they try to emulate the 2D look.
I guess personally, that they might ride on the hype of the animated Spiderman movie.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:19 am

I kind of maliciously hope this flops in embarrassing fashion.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:22 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 pm

Have to stand for Sangofe here, calling him elitist is actually what you do… the one and only truth for all. He doesn’t like CGI, same as I don’t like Mozart. He was a musical genius, but not my taste at all as I prefer to listen to Wagnerians, etc.

Why do you have such a huge problem and feel to be offended by someone’s opinion so hard is beyond me.
The argument flew high past your head. My gripe isn’t about preferences, he literally says that 3D graphics should only be used in games and not in films. Do you think Classical music should only be played in concert halls and never be used in film/video game OSTs?
So don’t pull the “offended“ card, I actually do not care about what people like or don’t like. I do not tolerate illogical statements, however.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:36 am

I expressed my opinion without attacking you. Yet you lash onto me like I was some sort of pile of shit. That is not okay. Try to write posts with doing that minimally. I'd strongly advice you not to do that too often to other people because you and others will end up suffering.

And it's not like I didn't try to watch animation in 3d before : I just couldn't handle Berserk and Spider Man. And Dragon Ball is a hand drawn Manga. I can't help it but I really don't want my favorite show to not be or look like it's hand drawn. Then it'll he something else.
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:22 am
MCDaveG wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 pm

The argument flew high past your head. My gripe isn’t about preferences, he literally says that 3D graphics should only be used in games and not in films. Do you think Classical music should only be played in concert halls and never be used in film/video game OSTs?
So don’t pull the “offended“ card, I actually do not care about what people like or don’t like. I do not tolerate illogical statements, however.
I wrote that I think that it belongs to games. I tried to express a personal taste here. I didn't say that everything should be like that. For some reason I would seem like you felt attacked because I don't agree with your personal taste. If that's a wrong guess well sorry, but stop being personal towards others.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:52 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:19 am I kind of maliciously hope this flops in embarrassing fashion.
Why?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:19 am I kind of maliciously hope this flops in embarrassing fashion.
While I won't go that far, if it's the movie I think there going for, and trailers can still convince me otherwise. I probably won't be seeing this in theatres.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:20 am

omaro34 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:52 am
Why?
Because then maybe Toei will realize we want a weekly animated series to keep interested in DBS, one movie every 4 years is not enough.

But if people keep giving them billions like with Broly then nothing will change.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:39 am

If the movie is 100% CGI, then I agree.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 am

What a miserable bunch this fandom is.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:20 am
Why?
Because then maybe Toei will realize we want a weekly animated series to keep interested in DBS, one movie every 4 years is not enough.

But if people keep giving them billions like with Broly then nothing will change.
Bit dramatic there me ol' son? It's just a movie.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:56 am

No generalising large groups of people based on individual people's statements.

Why?

If this is how you feel, then the correct move is to simply vote with your wallet and your attention. There's nothing wrong with not watching and supporting something you don't like and don't want more of even if it's from a franchise you otherwise enjoy.
I have to say that at the moment, I don't expect DBS:SH to be as much of a success as DBS:BR, due to how it's going to be more slice-of-life-y and how it's not, you know, a movie canonising Broly. (In other words, less of a wow-factor.) I don't think the CG-ness of it will be a very huge factor, though, despite how people online feel about it, because to me that doesn't seem like something the casual fanbase would care too much about, at least not to the point where it's a dealbreaker.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:58 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 am
Why?

Bit dramatic there me ol' son? It's just a movie.
Yes it's just a movie. That's the problem.

Meanwhile One Piece gets a weekly anime, got a movie in 2019, and is getting a new movie. Why does Toei treat DBS like trash when Dragon Ball is way more popular than One Piece?

Not sure why the few people here seem shocked by this mindset, if you are satisfied with one manga chapter a month then good for you but I find it boring :roll:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:07 am

I just picked up on something. I might be looking a little too deep into it, but fuck it, I love to speculate.
Pan and early Z Gohan have similar(ish) clothes. Pan's hat kind of sparked the resemblance for me. Also, I'm assuming they're both around the same age. Gohan was 4 around this time and Pan is probably around the same age.

What if this story is inspired by the early parts of the Saiyan arc? Pan gets kidnapped by someone (possibly the shark guy we saw) and it's up to Gohan and the gang to rescue her. I think a story like that could bring up some interesting character moments, like Gohan realising what his dad went through to save him.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:09 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 am What a miserable bunch this fandom is.
Not just this one.

It seems people didn't hear the word "no" enough when they were kids, so they think throwing a tantrum is the way to go everytime something divisive happens.

There's no accepting reality as it is and doing your best with it anymore, there's just anger, ignorance and denial directed towards authors and staff. Some people want things to flop by judging only a teaser.

Here's hoping they're kids that will still grow out of this toxic behavior, but we know very well older folks don't do any better with these cartoon revivals.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:52 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:58 am Yes it's just a movie. That's the problem.

Meanwhile One Piece gets a weekly anime, got a movie in 2019, and is getting a new movie. Why does Toei treat DBS like trash when Dragon Ball is way more popular than One Piece?
Can't talk about oversea but that's demostrative false in Japan., One Piece is more popular than DB in their homeland.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.