Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:55 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:52 am I'm not sure why you felt the need to quote me saying I liked the movie just to say it's actually shit and somehow apparently "hurt my intelligence".
I didnt say this movie hurts my inteligence you said its an ultimately stupid series which i said if you want ultimate stupidity watch Fairy Tale thats it, But excusing lazily done orange piccolo and Gohan blanco I MEAN beast gohan by saying its stupid series and should be applauded is very appalling INMO.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:54 am

Thoughts on Super Hero:

"Not all heroes wear capes. But Gohan, Piccolo, and the Gammas do."

From the title and flashy comic book effects to the motivations of its characters, the movie's main theme is all too clear. While Broly was all about generational influence, Super Hero asks "What does it mean to be a hero?": Red Ribbon Androids Gamma 1 and Gamma 2 are only superficially heroic at first, fighting against the "villains" they've been commanded to eliminate, but those same so-called villains rise to the occasion to show them what true heroism is in their own DB-like, non-preachy way. There's no better choice for the main protagonists here than former career superhero Gohan, his mentor Piccolo, and his daughter Pan. Being the selfish adrenaline junkies they are, Goku and Vegeta are much less suited to this subject matter, so it makes sense to leave them out of this one.

All this is to say that Super Hero is self-aware about what kind of story it wants to tell, and while it's not without its problems, I feel it generally succeeds at telling it.

What I liked:

The CGI is good. Apart from some awkwardly stiff shots and motions, Toei did a serviceable job of making the characters feel expressive while playing around a bit with some neat effects and angles. It's obviously not as jaw-dropping as Broly's more handcrafted feel, but it doesn't need to be. It's cool that both Super movies thus far have their own distinct visual style, which I'd like to see more experimentation with going forward. The action scenes are at their best during the Gamma fights, but more than anything, I noticed how fluid the aura effects looked. I'll admit that I'm not really sold on the Marvel-esque soundtrack, at least by itself, but I think it's fitting for this entry.

By that same token, if Broly is dramatic space opera Toriyama, then Super Hero is full-on comic artist Toriyama. Where it shines the most — to the point I'd call it the movie's very own specialty — is its translation of his style of humor to an animated format more faithfully than any movie, and even any TV series, to date. It near perfectly encapsulates that signature deadpan comedic timing, and it helps that its tone is also reminiscent of early/modern Dragon Ball as well as Toriyama's more unassuming non-DB works; while the latter is neither better nor worse on paper, it certainly is a refreshing change-up that leans into the film's own themes and identity.

Also, dare I say it? This is Piccolo's film. The whole story follows him, and most of what happens revolves specifically around his actions and choices, which is uncharted territory for a franchise mostly occupied with the Saiyans or their children. Plot-wise, he's just infiltrating the Red Ribbon base and conspiring in various power-up shenanigans, but what truly sells Piccolo's storyline is his interactions with the cast during these scenes. It's great to see him as an uncle-like figure to Pan, a constantly disgruntled peer to Bulma and the others, or a surprisingly manipulative schemer when it comes to helping Gohan. The main theme in particular is best illustrated through his evolving dynamic with Gamma 2. "Orange Piccolo" is a (literal) monstrosity of a design, but it contrasts well with the more traditionally heroic Gammas. You can tell Toriyama had a lot of fun with him during scripting, probably more than any other character in the movie.

As someone who was always sharply critical of Gohan's characterization in DBS, I think he's fantastic in this film and it really highlights the difference between Toriyama's writing of him and Toei's. This isn't the anime's Tournament of Power where he's some straightforwardly stoic, boring "badass" leader. Here, he's just portrayed as the adult Gohan we know and adore; an often oblivious, clumsy goofball with more fighting potential than anyone when he gets mad, despite not fighting much as a pastime. Even with Gohan getting back into his fighting groove again, this is far and away the most well-done instance of him doing so in all of Super. It's not too big of a deal when evaluating Super Hero as a stand-alone product, since a lot of the audience is only casually familiar with DBS as a series, though I can understand the frustration behind it feeling all too familiar at this juncture.

While I'm not in love with "Son Gohan Beast" from a narrative standpoint, I do like it from a design standpoint. Of course it's just there to go "Remember Gohan from the Cell games? Here he is!" (more on that below), but its absolutely bonkers hair size/color palette represents his wild, hidden strength in a wonderfully tongue in cheek way. As far as explanations go, do we really need one? It's just the fullest expression of Gohan's unique power that's been a staple of Dragon Ball since his introduction in the Saiyan arc. But it's also facetiously funny, so to dedicate some long-winded description to it would only diminish it, I think. I'm not overly fond of memberberries, but this one's not too bad.

What I didn't like:

I'd be lying if I said the movie's climax didn't bore me to tears less than five minutes in. There are several reasons to think that last stretch falls woefully short, and Cell Max is one of them. Recycling old villains is nothing new at this point, but watch the climax of any other Toriyama-helmed film and it's always readily apparent that there's an actual throughline happening between the cast and antagonist, such as, say, Broly, which progresses Broly's inner turmoil through a series of distinct character beats and audiovisual storytelling, or Resurrection 'F', which explores Freeza's petty psychological hang-ups with the Saiyans. Cell Max has even less to him than most baddies from the 90's Z movies, so his entire plot point boils down to "okay let's gather over here, fight this empty husk of an evil Frankenstein's monster, aim at the weak point using fanservicey team attacks and transformations for 20 minutes, profit". The last thing I wanna do is relive Bio-Broly for almost half an hour, though I did like Gamma 2's sacrifice.

But also, there's too much regurgitating shit from the Cell arc and original manga in general for the final battle without any of the dynamics and interactions that made them fun or interesting. Even if Super's ideas were never all that original, they've never felt so creatively bereft as this. I'm okay with fanservice and nostalgia in Dragon Ball if there's a point, or some kind of new spin to make it feel warranted (for example: Gogeta being shifted to an antagonistic role in Broly to cast its titular character in a more sympathetic light) but that's not really the case for most of the climax, so it's unlikely to make a lasting impression on most viewers outside of being a visual spectacle. Sadly, it's about as sterile, as forgettable, and as commercialized as the post-revival movies get.

Finally, the stuff on Beerus's planet has to be my least favorite sequence in any Toriyama movie ever. Just as I criticized the Moro arc for haphazardly including the Earthlings when they weren't relevant to its underlying story, so too do I take issue with so much screentime being wasted on Goku and Vegeta. I understand that there had to be an explanation for Bulma's failure to contact Whis, but padding out the movie's runtime with a lengthy sparring session and some random conversation about Jiren grinds the story to a halt and adds nothing aside from some obligatory brand recognition. Even the gags here aren't great: Beerus's crush on Cheelai is played too straight and feels like an inferior take on the more subversive Beerus-Ribrianne gag in the manga, the latter of which we know for certain came from Toriyama, and "manly tears" was never DB's thing. Also, bizarrely, Goku suddenly has a problem with meditation. I have a nagging suspicion that Toriyama had next to no involvement for this segment given how inconsequential it is, but who knows?

Overall:

Even with more things that bothered me than I anticipated, the movie as a whole comes out a solid, albeit inconsistent, experience. I'd actually describe it as Super's lighthearted take on the Androids/Cell arc in a way, both to its benefit and its detriment, but going forward, I have to wonder exactly how many creative avenues are left open for Super. Some of these recycled concepts are starting to feel equally recycled in execution. I didn't quite leave the theater feeling the same level of excitement for the franchise's future as I'd felt watching Toriyama's previous movies.

Super Hero isn't perfect. Its emptier cashgrab moments are undeniably offputting, but the fact that it's a good film despite those drawbacks speaks volumes of Dragon Ball's creator. For me, it beats Resurrection 'F' (which I also enjoyed, to be clear) but definitely doesn't reach the likes of Battle of Gods or Broly, and that's fine. It's a fun self-contained adventure about Piccolo and Gohan that fits their characters, and it's good to finally have a proper DB-feeling story after the last manga arc we've been slogging through for the past two years.

7.5/10.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:51 am

I don't have a ton of time to review the content of this movie right now, but I'll just say I love it so much.

As for my theater experience, I saw the subtitled version at Alamo Drafthouse (a theater where they bring you food) on Thursday at 7:45 PM. It was in the "Big Show" theater reserved for important new releases; it's larger than the rest of the theaters and has improved sound (not quite IMAX).

The theater was nearly empty. That was great for me, but kind of surprising. Although the audience was small, the fans reacted quite a bit. While there wasn't as much celebration around the action compared to Broly, there was a lot of laughing at the jokes.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:17 am

Peach wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:30 pmIf they had made Cell more of a character, it might have taken away from the focus of this movie - Piccolo and Gohan's relationship. It might have taken focus away from the Gamma 1 & 2. It might have taken focus away from the united front of the side characters. They would have to devote time to developing Cell and his personality. I understand the criticism, but the movie was pretty damn long already lol.
It's true, at that point in the movie, having to develop Cell MEGA as a character would've made it a two-parter :D . I guess Cell MEGA represents something... Gero's Legacy? Magenta's Greed? The reason Dr. Hedo was imprisoned to begin with? And he works on that level.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:35 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:55 am I didnt say this movie hurts my inteligence you said its an ultimately stupid series which i said if you want ultimate stupidity watch Fairy Tale thats it, But excusing lazily done orange piccolo and Gohan blanco I MEAN beast gohan by saying its stupid series and should be applauded is very appalling INMO.
I think you just didn't understand my wording. I said it's needless for me to personally be upset at things being stupid in what ultimatelyis a stupid series in DB, which is true. "Ultimate stupidity" is not an adjective here. I was not applauding it, but even if I were, treating it as a personal slight on the series for me to not get as angry at it for being "lazy" as you do is not a particularly compelling position.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:08 pm

I think liked it more then Broly when it came to plot. However, there were some improvements that could’ve been done. Overall, it was solid.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:54 pm

I had tons of fun, it was really funny and packed with some good action, it even had a similar wish to those in the Granola arc. The Beerus portion of the movie was hilarious to me, and Pan and Big Green, and Videl and those teddy bears, I just love all of it.
And I hardly even noticed it was CGI.
The characters are great, too. The gammas and Hedo sat really well with me, and Pan is just adorable. Fatenks was OK, and Krilin and Bulma should have more screen together.
The new forms are cool, well, Piccolo's at least. Gohan looks silly and I don't know what it actually is.

The problem for me was Cell Max. I can understand going back to Cell because of the RR(Although come on, Akira, seriously? retelling the Z villains?), but being a mindless Hirudegan felt lackluster.

And I think Buu needs to be killed off. He's serving no purpose, I thought he'd be some sort of ally in DBS but he's been asleep since 2015, he wasn't even used to gauge the strenght of an enemy or even for comic relief, his sleeping pun lost its effect by the U6 arc. I'd rather have the Dai back instead of a fat guy sleeping on the couch, I already have my brother for that.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:48 pm

I also enjoy that the Red Pharmaceuticals have their own wacky conspiracy theories about the Dragon World. It won't surprise me if Magenta has his own Alex Jones style podcast with him posting shit like the entire Cell games was a set up and Mr. Satan is a faker :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:35 pm

I overall really enjoyed the film. The animation was better than I was expecting, Piccolo makes a surprisingly endearing lead, and the action was pretty solid from start to finish. That said, I thought all the new characters sans the Gammas were pretty weak and Dr. Hedo got way too much screen time for my tastes. One thing I also found odd was Goku being depicted as the musclehead of the two between him and Vegeta. Like, I feel his his behavior contradicts his actions inside the Room of Spirit and Time during the Cell arc. Goku specifically chooses not to train in the lead-up to the Cell Games because he recognizes that his body would benefit more from the rest.

I don't take any issue with Vegeta growing past this – that beat I actually like and feels like a natural development of his Super characterization – but Goku's depiction just doesn't jive with the original series, if you ask me.

Not that that's anything new for Super, though.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:50 pm

I saw this movie last night, and I enjoyed it a lot. Like everyone else, I wish it were animated like Super Broly instead of in this experimental 3D style, but it looked great in key scenes. The ones the animators probably prioritized the most. I was worried when I saw that Pan would be kidnapped in the trailer, but the movie's implementation of it both hilarious and clever. Sad that Gohan seems to be taking after his Goku in the fathering department, devoting himself so much to his passion that he forgets his other responsibilities.

The pervy moments were a little weird, though. I was not expecting that from Beerus, but he at least keeps it to himself, so it's not like he's turning into Master Roshi or anything. Then there's the obligatory butt in the camera from the character we keep being told isn't supposed to be attractive anymore.

The gags were funny, for the most part. There was one running joke that didn't work for me.

The new characters are entertaining. I liked both of the Gamma characters, especially Gamma 2, with his fourth-wall breaking power. Dr. Hedo's motivations are a little unclear. First thing we're told is how he makes a habit out of animating human corpses into androids. He gets out of prison, launches a bomb into it, and I'm like, "Ah. He's a comically evil villain type." But then he has reservations about joining Red Ribbon because they're bad guys, and he wants to create androids to serve humanity as super heroes. ...Huh? Okay, I guess. Seems a bit inconsistent, but whatever. Other than that, Dr. Hedo is entertaining.

I couldn't help but notice they kept Goku and Vegeta from transforming during their sparring match. Whis' rules conveniently leave it up to the viewer's imagination just what their ultimate forms are, meaning it avoids contradicting the manga, with its (so far) exclusive transformations and abilities.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:42 pm

So I saw the dub for Super Hero earlier in the week and will echo pretty much everything I've seen said about the CGI ultimately not being as much as a concern as it had been when I first heard it was a CGI film coming off of the style of Broly. - It arguably did feel slightly clunky right at the start when Magenta carmine and Dr Hedo were introduced (particularly their walking)

Pretty much all of the humour landed with everyone in the cinema with a lot of chuckling even the small things like Carmine listing himself as everything in the credits of his little power point presentations.

- Piccolo was obviously the star of the film, with a surpsing amount of humour, he took a comedic role as Gotenks' care taker before but the comedy and being the lead was great. I think actually my funniest moment was him and Bulma bickering post wish that she should've summoned Goku/Vegeta but that he too didn't mention it.

- Pan was a great star and given such strong personality being complicit in all the kidnap shenanigans.

- Piccolo undercover too was very amusing

- the Dynamic between Piccolo and Gamma 2 was brilliant and was actually pretty gutting that Gamma 1 was the one that survived (I feel he should've made the sacrifice as that would make more sense for a heroic moment since he was the far colder one of the two)

- Gamma 2 was very funny with the fight effects appearing, and being commented on by Piccolo - it seemed Gamma 2 had a projector for them since in down time at the RR base he was briefly using the projections? Kinda funny that Dr Hedo programmed in something that is old school comic book hero

- Obviously since it was the dub I do wonder about Gamma 1 and 2 in the sub, since they make reference to them being androids not robots, so were they living bases? Dr Hedo when talking about heroes early on has a still of a bunch of heroes and the Gamma's are in that image.

- Wish for potential unlock before I didn't like too much but they made a point of Dende upgrading the dragon which I'd never seen mentioned.

- The fighting with Gohan vs Gamma 1 and Piccolo vs Gamma 2 was great. Orange Piccolo felt menancing and really cool

- Cell Max was way better than I'd imagined as seen a lot of complaints about him being mindless, but I feel him with personality wouldn't have achieved much more/ maybe have gotten in the way. His action sequences were pretty cool as well.

- I have questions about Cell max too, are we to assume it is still the same base cells as regular Cell since arm didn't regenerate but perhaps he was too mindless to use Piccolo's regen and the dye came off?

- Beerus' planet had the exact right amount of focus and Broly learning how to fight without giving into rage and really loving watchin the battle was great. Loved the post credits of Veggie getting the win. But do think Goku's attitude towards Vegeta meditating was a bit odd when its always been a valid training method.

- As a fan of Gotenks I actually felt he wasn't needed in the movie, Goten and Trunks and 18 and Krillin could all have not been in it and nothing would've played out differently (But they did tease the perfected Gotenks)

- Gohan's form I was a bit meh on especially using the SS2 red background snap. But I did like him dominating Cell again and having been secretly practicing the special beam cannnon.

I definitely think it was my favourite story of all the recent films, and pacing felt solid throughout. I do hope that Piccolo and Gohan will be involved in future arcs moving forward.

- oh and also Pan KOing the guy coming to kidnap her and then Piccolo talking to the pre-school teacher was funny.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:52 am

I’ve just seen Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero. I was one of those who wanted to boycott the movie before it came out because of the 3D in the movie. However, since it’s the first Dragon Ball that’s come out on any media, except very little known DVD releases of the Big Green movies about 20 years ago.
The translation was sadly done from the English subs. So no direct Japanese to Norwegian translation even though there are competent translators in Norway. It was a surprising translation as it dropped the “F word” several times. Which I doubt Simmons did but I guess the translator thought it was okay.

As for the 3D used it worked fine for the most part. I liked how the managed to make it look like a coloured manga for a lot of the part. Parts reminded me of the Kanzenban covers. That was nice. Most of the fights flew great. It felt nice when the characters flew, too. What wasn’t nice was when the camera rotated behind characters. Especially Piccolo. I hope this gets reanimated for a new Dragon Ball Super TV anime. I think a new anime could be really good if they use a lot more 2D, but with a good portion of 3D as well. I give the animation 6/10. Maybe 7/10. It wasn’t spectacular in any way, but it did its job. I can see why Toriyama liked it with it looking like a moving manga on character. For my part I prefer the animation of DBS Broly a lot more.

The soundtrack worked pretty well. I really like the tracks with Pan and Piccolo and the hero theme. I give it a 8/10.
As for the story this has got to be the most Dragon Ball feeling we have had since the original publication ended. Simple, but effective plot. Very good use of and lead by Piccolo. Great character interactions. Extremely nice nods to earlier Dragon Ball interactions. Good comedy. Good strategy in the combat. And good use of every character in the movie. An great ending by ending the fight between Goku and Vegeta in the way they did. Simple, but solid stuff, I give this an 8/10.

Originality isn’t very high, especially not Cell Max, and Gohan transforming. Cell Max has gotta be the least interesting antagonist ever. It did however make room for lots of strategy in the combat and use of characters. And while I like Gohan’s new transformation it’s not original at all. I give this 5/10.

All in all it was solid and it was a fun experience. Until Cell max. I give this movie a 7/10.

StevenPiccolo

Post by StevenPiccolo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:08 am

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. I love the structure of the film, it feels very much like a typical movie whereas the pacing and tone clashes of the other movies (BoG and beyond) felt odd to watch. Was honestly expecting an epilogue scene where it would show everyone a few months later, with Hedo having rebuilt Gamma 2 (even though Bulma was employing him specifically to stop creating androids, I just didn't believe he would stay dead like that.)

Loved seeing Piccolo and Pan's relationship. It was also really great to see Broly and co, I wasn't expecting them to leave Vampa so soon. All in all, it feels like a concept for a couple filler episodes, but it was pulled off well, even if the runtime was a little long. Cell Max fight wasn't my thing, but the effects throughout all of the fights were the highlight of the animation.
Son Gara wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:41 am I did notice they teased the real Gotenks at the end, but I guess there isn't an official image from Toriyama yet, so they couldn't show it.
I was waiting with bated breath for the camera to pan back to him
S.W.A.G. = Something We sAiyans Got

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:09 pm

I didn't mind Fat Gotenks, since he could be justified by the fact that Goten and Trunks both got a sudden growth spurt, which would require them to get used to their new proportions. They also make decent use of him, so it doesn't feel like too much of a waste. But there's something that bothers me about his design. Goten: Black hair. Trunks: Blue hair. Gotenks: Black and lavender hair. Where'd the lavender come from, TOEI? Why can't you be consistent with this? If you're insisting on changing Trunks' hair blue, just commit to it.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:23 pm

I hope the west really brings it at the box office and shows the bigwigs at Toei and Shueisha that we want more stuff like DBS: Super Hero. It's exactly what I personally want from DB. I don't mind letting the foolishness fly as long as its fun and features interesting and fan favorite characters other than Goku and Vegeta. There's a lot of side stories we can tell in this universe.

This is my favorite DB movie since BoG. I'm not sure which is my absolute favorite between the two.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:31 pm

Havent seen the movie myself just yet but I did come across this fun little theory about Android 13's design. So we know how in this movie they throw out an easter egg of Android 21 and we know she was modeled after Gero's wife and likewise we know #16 was modeled after their son. Well an artist by the name of KInzokumatto theorized that what if Android 13 was modeled after a "young" Dr. Gero and now I almost can't unsee it. Pretty cool imo.

It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:34 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:23 pm I hope the west really brings it at the box office and shows the bigwigs at Toei and Shueisha that we want more stuff like DBS: Super Hero. It's exactly what I personally want from DB. I don't mind letting the foolishness fly as long as its fun and features interesting and fan favorite characters other than Goku and Vegeta. There's a lot of side stories we can tell in this universe.

This is my favorite DB movie since BoG. I'm not sure which is my absolute favorite between the two.
Best course of action:

Have one part of the cast explore new Universes. Goku and Vegeta travel to Universe 6, to Universe 11, or to one of the other unseen Universes. Potentially add someone like Uub to the mix, so it's not just them, if you decide to take it past EoZ.

Then have the other part, Piccolo, Gohan and the other two kids protect Earth against new Universe 7 threats. Throw rebooted characters in here, like Janemba, Cooler, Slug, Tullece, if you still want to go the nostalgia bait way.

Especially since, somehow, no one in this writing team understands what a goldmine of endless potential the other Universes are and want to stick to Universe 7.

Sometimes, bring them all together for a big event, like a Tournament of Power 2 or a Multiversal war or something.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:47 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:31 pm Havent seen the movie myself just yet but I did come across this fun little theory about Android 13's design. So we know how in this movie they throw out an easter egg of Android 21 and we know she was modeled after Gero's wife and likewise we know #16 was modeled after their son. Well an artist by the name of KInzokumatto theorized that what if Android 13 was modeled after a "young" Dr. Gero and now I almost can't unsee it. Pretty cool imo.

Pretty cool theory, I'm suscribing to it. Makes sense, you build your son, your wife, and your best self.

I completely forgot about the Hedo's family tree, I guess that fan theory about 16 being modeled after Gero's son is now officially true, wonder if TFS brought that to light for them or if they already knew about it.
I've only seen it once, so I don't remember if Hedo is 16's son or his grandson, because IIRC there was an unknown couple between 16 and Hedo, but perhaps those were his foster folks. I know he is supposed to be Gero's grandkid, but that family tree confused me a bit.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:50 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:47 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:31 pm Havent seen the movie myself just yet but I did come across this fun little theory about Android 13's design. So we know how in this movie they throw out an easter egg of Android 21 and we know she was modeled after Gero's wife and likewise we know #16 was modeled after their son. Well an artist by the name of KInzokumatto theorized that what if Android 13 was modeled after a "young" Dr. Gero and now I almost can't unsee it. Pretty cool imo.

Pretty cool theory, I'm suscribing to it. Makes sense, you build your son, your wife, and your best self.

I completely forgot about the Hedo's family tree, I guess that fan theory about 16 being modeled after Gero's son is now officially true, wonder if TFS brought that to light for them or if they already knew about it.
I've only seen it once, so I don't remember if Hedo is 16's son or his grandson, because IIRC there was an unknown couple between 16 and Hedo, but perhaps those were his foster folks. I know he is supposed to be Gero's grandkid, but that family tree confused me a bit.
Dafuq. Dude, that comes from one of Toriyama's interviews.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:20 pm

Just saw it in IMAX. I had a really great time. Loved the various callbacks not just to Z, but the original Dragon Ball. I also liked that Pan wasn’t quite in distress as the trailers made it look, and Piccolo’s relationship with her.

It was nice having a theater pretty much only to myself and like 6 other people. Felt like a private party.

Side note: I guess that makes the human version of Android 21 canon, huh? Or whatever passes for canon these days.