Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:33 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:01 pm
Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:48 pm so it is ok to compromise with CGI and make a half baked product?
I simply choose not to hyper-focus on one aspect of the film when there's other aspects to take into account.

Story and characters matter more to me than how the thing looks. The CGI is a little weird, but it's not enough to turn me off from the whole thing.
This. Like, South Park is pretty much done on Paint, yet nobody really cares about how shitty it looks because it's a really good show. If you can overlook fucking South Park, you can overlook anything...

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:48 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:33 pm
Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:48 pm so it is ok to compromise with CGI and make a half baked product?
I simply choose not to hyper-focus on one aspect of the film when there's other aspects to take into account.

Story and characters matter more to me than how the thing looks. The CGI is a little weird, but it's not enough to turn me off from the whole thing.
This. Like, South Park is pretty much done on Paint, yet nobody really cares about how shitty it looks because it's a really good show. If you can overlook fucking South Park, you can overlook anything...
Or, even the DBS anime. With a handful of exceptions, its ugly as all hell but I watched it anyway because I wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters I'm interested in.

....although, I kind of regret it, so maybe this is a bad example :D

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:00 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:48 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:33 pm

Or, even the DBS anime. With a handful of exceptions, its ugly as all hell but I watched it anyway because I wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters I'm interested in.

....although, I kind of regret it, so maybe this is a bad example :D
Hell, even Z has some awful, AWFUL looking episodes... yet we endure them because the story is good.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:05 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:25 pm Red ribbon army back again despite getting destroyed multiple times and planning to paint z fighters as villain seems like Incredibles.
I think detractors are overblowing how much of a return to the well this is.

Despite the RRA's defeat forming the basis of the Cell arc, there's no characters from the actual RRA arc in the Cell arc. If anything, it'll be kind of refreshing to have new RRA characters that, as of now, seem have direct ties to characters that were actually in the RRA arc.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:40 pm

Wow this movie is divisive to the community.

In response to a slew of complaints from Mr. Cinder, I wouldn't want Pixar to make this movie. Some have already given some good responses as to why. I also see mention of "I don't care if the CG is bad." Well I argue the CGI used here is being used to replicate a specific style. Yeah, they could try to do the baked-in lighting and super high res with a more 3D friendly direction, but that's simply not what Dragon Ball is.

A great example of what I'm talking about is a new movie coming out about Buzz Lightyear (yes from Toy Story). I will link the trailer below. Watch it. It's very very well done and technically good. However, I feel it completely fails when in the context of what Buzz Lightyear is/was. I don't want my Dragon Ball to look realistic, or to suddenly throw away its 2D direction just because it's using 3D assets.

With that being said I still think it could look better. Maybe a few details sprinkled in, but I wouldn't want much more to change. They're working to give it a familiar feel.

You still don't have to like it, but calling people out for "being okay with it" whenever they may actually prefer that, is going a bit too far. I'm not boycotting something that actually speaks to me simply because other people are upset the company owning it isn't doing what they want. Don't bully.
https://youtu.be/BwPL0Md_QFQ
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:36 pm

fleahop wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:40 pm Wow this movie is divisive to the community.

In response to a slew of complaints from Mr. Cinder, I wouldn't want Pixar to make this movie. Some have already given some good responses as to why. I also see mention of "I don't care if the CG is bad." Well I argue the CGI used here is being used to replicate a specific style. Yeah, they could try to do the baked-in lighting and super high res with a more 3D friendly direction, but that's simply not what Dragon Ball is.

A great example of what I'm talking about is a new movie coming out about Buzz Lightyear (yes from Toy Story). I will link the trailer below. Watch it. It's very very well done and technically good. However, I feel it completely fails when in the context of what Buzz Lightyear is/was. I don't want my Dragon Ball to look realistic, or to suddenly throw away its 2D direction just because it's using 3D assets.
Another good example is the countless "live action Dragon Ball Z" fan films that are always posting trailers on Youtube. They are loaded with hollywood special effects and costumes that look closer to the original than, say, DB Evolution, but there's something... so... wrong... about them. By trying to be so faithful, but also ape hollywood techniques, they end up in this strange middle ground that ends up off-putting and bizarre and, in some cases, even WORSE than DB Evolution.

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:51 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:36 pm
fleahop wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:40 pm Wow this movie is divisive to the community.

Another good example is the countless "live action Dragon Ball Z" fan films that are always posting trailers on Youtube. They are loaded with hollywood special effects and costumes that look closer to the original than, say, DB Evolution, but there's something... so... wrong... about them. By trying to be so faithful, but also ape hollywood techniques, they end up in this strange middle ground that ends up off-putting and bizarre and, in some cases, even WORSE than DB Evolution.
Do you mean this https://youtu.be/rovLs3lIjyo ?
If yes it's kind of unfair, they look good for fanmade productions. Maybe they should never attempt a live action movie for Dragon Ball after all because I guess fans will never be pleased with anything.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:53 pm

Nagyzöld wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:51 pm

If yes it's kind of unfair, they look good for fanmade productions. Maybe they should never attempt a live action movie for Dragon Ball after all because I guess fans will never be pleased with anything.
Haha yeah exactly. Tonally, its just so wrong! And that music!

I think it's true that there should not be a live action Dragon Ball. Not everything needs to or should exist. But the point of my comment was not simply "look how bad these fan-made films are", it's more that the way in which they are bad is the same way that a Pixar style Dragon Ball film would be bad.

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:02 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:53 pm

I think it's true that there should not be a live action Dragon Ball. Not everything needs to or should exist. But the point of my comment was not simply "look how bad these fan-made films are", it's more that the way in which they are bad is the same way that a Pixar style Dragon Ball film would be bad.
Maybe Dragon Ball is not meant for a faithful live action. Everything about it is so outer-worldly, super muscular guys with strange haircuts. I mean good luck finding a buff 12 yo to play young Gohan and don't even get me started on Goku's hair. Not saying that anime live actions are inherently bad (which I noticed is a general opinion) but Dragon Ball is a hard one to pull and mostly a landmine field inside the fandom. But these fanmade clips are not half bad, I find them quite enjoyable.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Maybe Dragon Ball is not meant for a faithful live action. Everything about it is so outer-worldly, super muscular guys with strange haircuts. I mean good luck finding a buff 12 yo to play young Gohan and don't even get me started on Goku's hair. Not saying that anime live actions are inherently bad (which I noticed is a general opinion) but Dragon Ball is a hard one to pull and mostly a landmine field inside the fandom. But these fanmade clips are not half bad, I find them quite enjoyable.
This was awesome in my opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM20wwzl4Ds

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:41 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:02 pm Maybe Dragon Ball is not meant for a faithful live action. Everything about it is so outer-worldly, super muscular guys with strange haircuts. I mean good luck finding a buff 12 yo to play young Gohan and don't even get me started on Goku's hair. Not saying that anime live actions are inherently bad (which I noticed is a general opinion) but Dragon Ball is a hard one to pull and mostly a landmine field inside the fandom. But these fanmade clips are not half bad, I find them quite enjoyable.
If Justin Chatwin was more of a martial artist and had a more creative stunt team (and a way better script), he could have pulled off a decent "western" Goku or Gohan. They styled his hair in a way that referenced the source material.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:20 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 am

I don't care what anyone has to say, this is hands-down one of the best fan creations. I didn't know about this one, just this https://youtu.be/opji5DgE_nQ which is more action packed and also quite good.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:39 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:20 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 am

I don't care what anyone has to say, this is hands-down one of the best fan creations. I didn't know about this one, just this https://youtu.be/opji5DgE_nQ which is more action packed and also quite good.
Yes this is awesome too DB can be done in live action, it needs right people. Inmo DB needs 3 director to pull off- Zack synder for the fighting parts, james gunn for the comedic parts and James Cameron/Christopher Nolan for environmental storytelling and proper Saga adaptation.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:12 pm

Please kind in mind that this is a thread dedicated to the upcoming 2022 theatrical film, Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero.

If you wish to discuss other topics, please either find or create an appropriate thread. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 pm

In the first three movie, we had some CGI with mostly hand drawn animation, now we have mostly CGI with some hand drawn animation.
If this movie doesn't flop, do you think they will keep CGI as a main animation method for DB ?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Jinto wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 pm In the first three movie, we had some CGI with mostly hand drawn animation, now we have mostly CGI with some hand drawn animation.
If this movie doesn't flop, do you think they will keep CGI as a main animation method for DB ?
I get the feeling that the CG for DBS: Superhero is mostly a product of timing. I can see them going with more of a hybrid style going forward, with the reliance still being on the 2D animation.

As much as I'm looking forward to its release, I can't see this movie outperforming DBS: Broly. But if it does well, I can see them deciding to make more laid back and cutesy DBS movies in the vein of Battle of Gods and Yo Son Goku going forward.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:46 pm

I agree with the timing opinion. The company is very busy right now. I imagine that most of thier A+ traditional animation talent is working on the new One Piece movie right now. I will reserve judgment on the style. At least it won't be jarring when they cut to CGI during the fights this time. :|
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:45 pm

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... enron-art/

I think he's ok. They've got the color and shading okay. Now let's see the movement.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm

The CGI in BoG and RF are absolutely atrocious, but from memory, the CGI in Broly, while not good, is at least not too distracting.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:01 pm

BWri wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm
Jinto wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 pm In the first three movie, we had some CGI with mostly hand drawn animation, now we have mostly CGI with some hand drawn animation.
I get the feeling that the CG for DBS: Superhero is mostly a product of timing. I can see them going with more of a hybrid style going forward, with the reliance still being on the 2D animation.

As much as I'm looking forward to its release, I can't see this movie outperforming DBS: Broly. But if it does well, I can see them deciding to make more laid back and cutesy DBS movies in the vein of Battle of Gods and Yo Son Goku going forward.
Isn't CG more expensive ? I doubt timing would let them sink more money into such a light hearted project.