Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Yuji » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:58 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:03 pm Everyone is like "they'll definitely continue Dragon Ball forever, it's so lucrative and profitable" like they didn't take a 26 break between GT and Battle of Gods.
Shockingly, Dragon Ball is multiple times more profitable now than it was in the 90s due to all the merchandise, videogames, Heroes and so on.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Yuji wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:58 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:03 pm Everyone is like "they'll definitely continue Dragon Ball forever, it's so lucrative and profitable" like they didn't take a 26 break between GT and Battle of Gods.
Shockingly, Dragon Ball is multiple times more profitable now than it was in the 90s due to all the merchandise, videogames, Heroes and so on.
Yeah. If no new material is produced in anime and manga form, then the profitability of the franchise can certainly be carried by the likes of Dokkan Battle, Legends, Heroes and other merchandise for years to come.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:02 pm

When people talk about how DBS is likely to continue indefinitely, they always seem to be under the impression that Toei will eventually bring back the anime and adapt the stuff with Moro and Granolah, but I don’t see that being a very lucrative future for the franchise. I really do think that DBS is on its last legs. If Dragon Ball does continue after this movie, at the very least, it seems like a rebranding would be in order.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:02 pm When people talk about how DBS is likely to continue indefinitely, they always seem to be under the impression that Toei will eventually bring back the anime and adapt the stuff with Moro and Granolah, but I don’t see that being a very lucrative future for the franchise. I really do think that DBS is on its last legs. If Dragon Ball does continue after this movie, at the very least, it seems like a rebranding would be in order.
It also wouldn't surprise me if DBS Superhero is Toriyama's swansong for the franchise. The movie is literally taking place at the same time the manga's epilogue happens. So if there are any plans for Super to have more stories after the movie, Super would need to step on the toes of what happens in the manga.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:24 pm

The videogames and merchandise are already carrying the franchise, not a monthly manga that doesn't even make it in the Top 25 best selling manga of the year despite having the name Dragon Ball attached to it.

Meanwhile Super Dragon Ball Heroes is the Number 1 digital card game in the market, Xenoverse 2 keeps getting new DLCs because evidently it's still making them tons of money after 5 years.

A new movie means new characters and forms they can put in SBDH, Xenoverse 2, Fighterz as DLCs.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:37 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:28 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:18 am https://hypebeast.com/2021/8/new-slam-d ... ement-info
Slam dunk is a movie about one year from now.
ONE PICE red releasing on 6th august, then SLAM DUNK i think.
DBS Superhero has got to be releasing early next year if the second half of Toei's film release schedule of 2022 is already preoccupied with One Piece, Slam Dunk and Kitaro films. It would not shock me if the film dropped during Golden Week.
Yes that is also a possibility isn't resurrection F also released during golden week?

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:10 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:13 pm
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:48 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:24 am I think a lot of cool ideas for Future arcs probably got shot down by Toriyama for some strange reason I don't think even Toei or the DB room is that uncreative to run out of gas that quick. & that whole plot point about frieza needing ally made it seem at the time they were gonna shoehorn cooler or someone else in somehow.
Toei literally have no time anymore ONE PIECE,SLAM DUNK, KITARO and not to mention they also overseeing to the live action saint seiya movie,and another thing after partenship with CJ ENM(SQUID GAME production company) they said hit works of both company's will be rolled out sequentially and that includes live action, animation and new works. So i think this is it for DB or DB will get another live action.
Source? Has this been said officially or leaked by anyone trusted that works at Toei? Didthey actually said this? or is this you making things up ? & what the hell does live action have to do with anything dealing with the animation staff. That's entirely different team if anything that would affect Kamen Rider and Sentai series.
Yes they said it here is the source https://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/ja/press/p ... 47917.html and yes live action is completely different but its a holywood adaptation and we all know what happend with DB evolution thats why They are overseeing it. here you go the saint seiya source https://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/ja/press/p ... 82917.html

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:29 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:57 pm
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:53 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:51 am UGH, jump festa can't come any slower. They better share at least a timeframe of the film's release!
If they didnt announce the release date of this movie in jump festa then immediately wave the red flag.

You're way too pessemestic, dude.
Nah I am sad and angry at the same time, One piece not only got the movie release date but also a live action series coming in netflix meanwhile DB stuck with Dragon Ball heroes, and getting treated like a trash. I am sick and tired of seeing this There is no journey, no story continuation , Characters are getting butchered and gutted left and right, its a pale shell of its former self.Toyotaro cant even write a decent arc to save his life.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:29 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:53 am
If they didnt announce the release date of this movie in jump festa then immediately wave the red flag.

Nah I am sad and angry at the same time, One piece not only got the movie release date but also a live action series coming in netflix meanwhile DB stuck with Dragon Ball heroes, and getting treated like a trash. I am sick and tired of seeing this There is no journey, no story continuation , Characters are getting butchered and gutted left and right, its a pale shell of its former self.Toyotaro cant even write a decent arc to save his life.
Are you implying that One piece getting a live action netflix series is a good thing? :lol:. Wait til the movie comes out before saying that "characters are getting butchered and gutted" especially when they are examples of Super treating cheracters better then they were in Z. You right about Toyotaro tho.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 am

Are you implying that One piece getting a live action netflix series is a good thing? :lol:. Wait til the movie comes out before saying that "characters are getting butchered and gutted" especially when they are examples of Super treating cheracters better then they were in Z. You right about Toyotaro tho.
I am not implying anything its just painfull to see DB getting treated as nothing but a cashcow to make billions of dollar otherwise how can you justify this half assed CGI mess? First i was sceptical because I thought they are doing CGI because Morishita himself said he has a dream to distribute the DB movie in large scale worldwide but after the ONE PIECE movie news its painfully clear that its a rush job just to cash in. However i have hope for this movie because Toriyama fully involved but what about the HALF ASSED CGI?Super handled Vegeta well However Not a single character is progressing Its like they all stuck in a same loop doing same thing over and over again.Super is not potraying any character better than DB OR Z nothing will beat toriyama , toyotaro is garbage fanfic writter and remain garbage.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:13 pm

1. Fan fics are not inherently bad, stop using 'fan fic' as a pejorative, you are not making a point.
2. The CG film is literally not finished yet. You don't know how it is going to look.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:13 pm 2. The CG film is literally not finished yet. You don't know how it is going to look.
Right before showing the trailer at the event, they said that these are finished shots they're about to show, so we do know how it's going to look.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:13 pm 1. Fan fics are not inherently bad, stop using 'fan fic' as a pejorative, you are not making a point.
2. The CG film is literally not finished yet. You don't know how it is going to look.
fanfics are the result of terrible nonsense that is Dragon Ball heroes where nothing make any sense people fighting without any reason, and about the CGI from what i've saw from the teaser it looks janky expect few shots( the shot of pan and goku were awesome), so i have no high hopes in that regard either.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:43 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:49 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:13 pm 1. Fan fics are not inherently bad, stop using 'fan fic' as a pejorative, you are not making a point.
fanfics are the result of terrible nonsense that is Dragon Ball heroes where nothing make any sense people fighting without any reason, and about the CGI from what i've saw from the teaser it looks janky expect few shots( the shot of pan and goku were awesome), so i have no high hopes in that regard either.
Fans fics are not inherently bad and are the training ground of many professional writers who do both. There are plenty of good fan fics. To use the term as a pejorative is not only annoying and wrong but it spreads misinformation.

The film is literally not finished yet. You have only seen quick mock up animation for a film that doesn't even have a release date yet.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:23 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 am
I am not implying anything its just painfull to see DB getting treated as nothing but a cashcow to make billions of dollar otherwise how can you justify this half assed CGI mess? First i was sceptical because I thought they are doing CGI because Morishita himself said he has a dream to distribute the DB movie in large scale worldwide but after the ONE PIECE movie news its painfully clear that its a rush job just to cash in. However i have hope for this movie because Toriyama fully involved but what about the HALF ASSED CGI?Super handled Vegeta well However Not a single character is progressing Its like they all stuck in a same loop doing same thing over and over again.Super is not potraying any character better than DB OR Z nothing will beat toriyama , toyotaro is garbage fanfic writter and remain garbage.
Krillin, Gohan, Android 17, Android 18, Piccolo, Roshi, and Frieza were better in Super then they were in the buu arc. Krillin beat Gohan and fought Goku in Super Saiyan Blue and eliminated fighters in the TOP, 17 helped beat a lot of fighters in the TOP and won it and 18 beat Ribrianne on her own, Gohan help eliminated top tier fighters, Roshi eliminated 3 people from universe 4, one of them would become strong enough to fight Goku and Vegeta and he saved Vegeta from getting eliminated, Piccolo helped Gohan fight and eliminated the namekians and 2 other fighters from universe 4, Frieza became one of the top tier fighter (after years of being treated as a joke by Toei) and helped universe 7 win the TOP. I understand why you are angry, the only reason I'm excited for this movie is because we get to see a Pan written by Toriyama and potentially be the main character in the movie. This movie looks like a story that Toriyama wants to tell so i don't get why some people are saying him and Toei don't care. Especially when they are taking risks, something the fans said they would never do.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:44 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:17 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:13 pm 2. The CG film is literally not finished yet. You don't know how it is going to look.
Right before showing the trailer at the event, they said that these are finished shots they're about to show, so we do know how it's going to look.
Oh, okay.

I still doubt that that will be the case.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:39 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:23 pm
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 am

Krillin, Gohan, Android 17, Android 18, Piccolo, Roshi, and Frieza were better in Super then they were in the buu arc. Krillin beat Gohan and fought Goku in Super Saiyan Blue and eliminated fighters in the TOP, 17 helped beat a lot of fighters in the TOP and won it and 18 beat Ribrianne on her own, Gohan help eliminated top tier fighters, Roshi eliminated 3 people from universe 4, one of them would become strong enough to fight Goku and Vegeta and he saved Vegeta from getting eliminated, Piccolo helped Gohan fight and eliminated the namekians and 2 other fighters from universe 4, Frieza became one of the top tier fighter (after years of being treated as a joke by Toei) and helped universe 7 win the TOP. I understand why you are angry, the only reason I'm excited for this movie is because we get to see a Pan written by Toriyama and potentially be the main character in the movie. This movie looks like a story that Toriyama wants to tell so i don't get why some people are saying him and Toei don't care. Especially when they are taking risks, something the fans said they would never do.
Toriyama involved in this movie is the only reason i am excited too just like he was in Broly and that was awesome ,so i am hoping this movie will be awesome too ,however the CGi and many other things proving me otherwise.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 am

This is me making assumptions, but Dragon Ball Super is not as succesful anymore is it? The series has ended and now we are getting a standalone movie.
Dragon Ball Z brand is probably still the most recognizable and from the live media, only the manga is basically DB Super as a sequel.
But toys, besides the European focused Breakers series cashing on the Super anime being aired here, are not under Super brand.
Nor any game, Kakarot is Z, FighterZ has a pun on Z, Xenoverse, Heroes (using the super before as a step-up), Legends, Dokkan...

As many said before, the games alone and merch are now holding the series with fans.

I am actually quite happy, the series is done for now. Super was the sequel to Z I would have loved as a kid and my only gripe with it is the crap production quality in the first half of the series and the abrupt end. I really wonder, how come that except for GT ending, TOEI is not really good at doing longer and better farewells to their series.
Looking forward to this movie as a bonus and wonder what, if ever, will it imply on the series overall.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 am

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 am This is me making assumptions, but Dragon Ball Super is not as succesful anymore is it? The series has ended and now we are getting a standalone movie.
Dragon Ball Z brand is probably still the most recognizable and from the live media, only the manga is basically DB Super as a sequel.
But toys, besides the European focused Breakers series cashing on the Super anime being aired here, are not under Super brand.
Nor any game, Kakarot is Z, FighterZ has a pun on Z, Xenoverse, Heroes (using the super before as a step-up), Legends, Dokkan...

As many said before, the games alone and merch are now holding the series with fans.

I am actually quite happy, the series is done for now. Super was the sequel to Z I would have loved as a kid and my only gripe with it is the crap production quality in the first half of the series and the abrupt end. I really wonder, how come that except for GT ending, TOEI is not really good at doing longer and better farewells to their series.
Looking forward to this movie as a bonus and wonder what, if ever, will it imply on the series overall.
Not only european but latin american country's like mexico and many other cheered for the last episode in the streets. There are 10,000 people that cheered for goku and universe 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCS1-o-AZs ,It was beautiful. DB brand was going through the roof earning billions of dollar dethroned gundam,ONE PIECE, Naruto cant even touch it.DB it self is one of the highest grossing(27.7 billion) media franchise in history and also Toei and Shueisha's THE MOST valuable media franchise EVER. Thats why it's painfull to see DB getting treated like this,The only exciting part about the new movie is Toriyama's full involvement.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:31 am

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 am This is me making assumptions, but Dragon Ball Super is not as succesful anymore is it? The series has ended and now we are getting a standalone movie.

I mean, sure, Xenoverse is technically not a Super-exclusive/Super-based game, but almost all the DLCs for Xenoverse 2 had Super characters:

DLC 1: Cabba, Frost
DLC 2: Champa, Vados
DLC 3: Rosé Goku Black, [Immortal] Zamasu
DLC 4: Fused Zamasu, Blue Vegito
DLC 6: Jiren, Android 17 (Super); UI Goku
DLC 7: Kefla
DLC 8: SSB Gogeta, Broly (Super)
DLC 9: SSG Vegeta, SSBE Vegeta, Ribrianne

And so on...

In fact, the latest DLC added 4 new DBS-exclusive characters, which are Shirtless Jiren, DBS Gogeta, Caulifla, and Kale.

Now obviously I am not saying that ONLY Super characters were released, I didn't mention the exceptions (like Tapion, Baby, Super Buu, Bojack, etc.); but the VAST MAJORITY are clearly DBS characters.

So evidently, Yes, they're still making tons of money from Super, or the latest DLC for Xenoverse 2 wouldn't be releasing only Super characters. Or Super characters at all.

But notice something? Where is Moro? Where is Merus? Where is Granolah?

And therein lies the problem with this comic, it clearly doesn't even come close to the amount of hype and traffic around the franchise that the Anime generated.

The manga cannot even feature in the Top 25 best selling manga of 2021, despite having the Dragon Ball brand attached to it, that's very sad and honestly pathetic. Why they haven't brought the Anime back yet is, truthfully, genuinely, beyond my comprehension.

It's actually very sad. When Xenoverse 2 was released in Autumn 2016, while the Future Trunks arc was still airing, Goku Black (as Base form) was already playable as Pre-order bonus.

Here the Moro arc ended 1 year ago and none of its characters are still in the videogame, I'll let you draw the conclusions.