Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Raki » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 am

I'll enjoy the film no matter what. But I wonder how this film will be received by fans who just want fighting for 90 minutes. American fans don't want light hearted Dragonball.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:23 am

Raki wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 am I'll enjoy the film no matter what. But I wonder how this film will be received by fans who just want fighting for 90 minutes. American fans don't want light hearted Dragonball.

They said there will be slice of life + fighting. Best of both worlds

And American fans don’t all think the same

And as for Battle of Gods dividing the fan base I feel that is true with all Dragon Ball material. I think there is one thing we can say the Dragon Ball fandom has a wide variety of opinions. That is why I always find it funny when people say they have an unpopular opinion or hot take. With such a huge fandom very few takes are actually unpopular.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 am

Raki wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 am I'll enjoy the film no matter what. But I wonder how this film will be received by fans who just want fighting for 90 minutes. American fans don't want light hearted Dragonball.
Yes they do. American fans aren't just this single blood thirsty group. Americans love SoL, especially if it involves Vegeta and Gohan

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:53 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:07 am
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:50 am Movie confirmed to have a lighter tone than DBS Broly. May be akin to BOG.
This is what I'm telling people. There's no reason to be upset about a slice of life dragon ball film. Battle of Gods is like 60% slice of life comedy and 40% Action and serious dragon ball. And that movie rocks! I am not worried about this movie one bit, I'm actually quite hyped. :clap:
While I like BOG a lot, that movie did seem to divide the fanbase to some degree because of its more comedic approach. I mean, Ressurection F, from a creative standpoint was moulded based off of the more contentious opinions some fans had of the lighter and more carefree tone that BOG had.

If DBS Super Hero is gonna be a light-hearted movie, it better have a damn good story to supplement and complement its tone. I really don't want this film to feel like one of the filler episodes from the Super anime stretched out to 90 - 105 minutes.
Right. People were upset at how short the fight was and RoF was made to soothe those fans

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:16 am

Was it revealed when the movie will be released? I assume either in the spring like BoG and RoF or in December like Broly.

Also random thought about the title but imagine how confusing it might be for fans decades from now watching the series for the first. They finish DBZ and see a list of titles:

"Super Dragon Ball Z? Is that the sequel? Nope that's a video game. Dragon Ball Heroes followed by Super Dragon Ball Heroes? Nope another game. Wait it also has a manga and anime! Then there's Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero?? This is related to the other thing called Heroes? Where do I go from here?!"

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:45 am

emperior wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:01 am I like the idea of the movie showing how and why Pan decided to start training in martial arts. I don’t think Videl will be the one who teaches her, though. I think it’s much more likely that it will be either Goku (seeing how much she admires him by the End of Z) or even Piccolo, who is seemingly getting a lot of love in this movie!
I could easily see Pan getting wowed by the events of this movie, whatever they'll be, and go "I wanna be just like that!" It's simple and cute.

I'm okay with a light-hearted movie, it's okay for something to just be fun. But I am a little worried that the movie might not do as well as Broly because of that tonal shift. Hopefully Dragon Ball doesn't go into flop mode.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:49 am

We'll have to see about this. The CGI is a massive disappoint, it looks more like a teaser for FighterZ or Kakarot 2. The title isn't very good again, just Hero would have been enough.

Hopefully Pan isn't going to have too much focus, Goten and Trunks already let down the series and other movies in the past because of their childish antics. The last thing it needs is for some little toddler girl to act all cutesy and let it down.

I could probably see it being more like Battle of God's because that was part slice of life and part intense action and that movie was the weakest of the three. It has near no story and was just padded with random silly gags throughout like the pointless Pilaf subplot.

It's an almost sure thing it won't be near as successful as Broly especially with the anime series long over by this point as well but it might still do well.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 am

Alruneia wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:45 am I'm okay with a light-hearted movie, it's okay for something to just be fun. But I am a little worried that the movie might not do as well as Broly because of that tonal shift. Hopefully Dragon Ball doesn't go into flop mode.
The movies cost too little for it to really flop but going from an intense action packed movie with Broly who is easily one of the most popular characters of the franchise to a possible light hearted story with Pan who was one of the worst characters in the franchise in GT is probably gonna cost it.

The casual fan wants something like Broly not a slice of life tale involving a little girl trying to be all cute.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:04 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:01 am I like the idea of the movie showing how and why Pan decided to start training in martial arts. I don’t think Videl will be the one who teaches her, though. I think it’s much more likely that it will be either Goku (seeing how much she admires him by the End of Z) or even Piccolo, who is seemingly getting a lot of love in this movie!

I love that we are getting a slice of life focused movie. While Broly was surely entertaining, it had way too little dialogue and story. Hopefully this one will last more than 2 hours and be much more a story and less mindless action.

I can’t wait to know more about what this will be about and to see a real trailer!
Well I miss martial artist Videl which is why I prefer her. Kinda like seeing Chichi very briefly train Goten in the anime. Seeing them back in their martial arts element when they were turned to generic house wives would be a nice treat.

Also it's only predicting right now, there's no guarantee that it's a slice of life movie. It's way too early and they showed off way to little for us to know what it's going to be about. Remember when everyone including I believe Mike on the podcast, thought the Broly movie was going to be about Yamashi or whatever the name of that SSG was? They didnt even mention that guy in the movie.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:05 pm

There's nothing wrong with a slice of life movie, but not when it's been 4 years since the last animated content for Super. Not counting that promotional anime. I can't imagine this movie having the same impact and success Broly had.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:07 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:04 pm

I love that we are getting a slice of life focused movie. While Broly was surely entertaining, it had way too little dialogue and story. Hopefully this one will last more than 2 hours and be much more a story and less mindless action.

I can’t wait to know more about what this will be about and to see a real trailer!
Well I miss martial artist Videl which is why I prefer her. Kinda like seeing Chichi very briefly train Goten in the anime. Seeing them back in their martial arts element when they were turned to generic house wives would be a nice treat.

Also it's only predicting right now, there's no guarantee that it's a slice of life movie. It's way too early and they showed off way to little for us to know what it's going to be about. Remember when everyone including I believe Mike on the podcast, thought the Broly movie was going to be about Yamashi or whatever the name of that SSG was? They didnt even mention that guy in the movie.

They actually confirmed it’s going to be a movie with BOTH slice of life and action

https://twitter.com/dbshype1/status/141 ... 32864?s=21

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:39 pm

I wonder if the action is gonna be more like a sentai series this time if "superhero" is the theme. I'm picturing Piccolo using his ability to grow giant so he can fight an opponent's mecha in hand to hand combat.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:45 pm

I forgot how kickass the fights in PreCure All Star Memories were so I'm hoping we get fights like so: https://youtu.be/LZ1PDm9bhkA
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:39 pm I wonder if the action is gonna be more like a sentai series this time if "superhero" is the theme. I'm picturing Piccolo using his ability to grow giant so he can fight an opponent's mecha in hand to hand combat.
Zetto-sentai! Zettosentai!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:07 pm
Brettjr25 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:04 pm

They actually confirmed it’s going to be a movie with BOTH slice of life and action

https://twitter.com/dbshype1/status/141 ... 32864?s=21
YES!!!!! Must I say it again, YES!!!!!! This is exactly what I want from the series going forward. Super looking forward to this movie (pun intended)
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:02 pm

I have a feeling that we will have a villain on a smaller scale similar to Aka was in the 2008 Jump Special. Super does things differently than the previous DB shows have done. Unlike the previous series, Super does not always have a evil person for the story arc.

Beerus: Not evil
Freeza: Evil
Hit & Champa: Not Evil
Zamasu: Evil
Jiren: Not Evil
Broly: Not Evil
Moro: Evil
Granolah: Probably not evil

In my opinion, it's more refreshing to this instead of "Evil bad guy is stronger than the last guy, and he wants to blow up the Earth".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm

I wonder if doing a superhero story is the result of superhero movies being mainstream now. They will capitalize it with Gohan's life and Jaco will probably be involved too.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 am to a possible light hearted story with Pan who was one of the worst characters in the franchise in GT is probably gonna cost it.
That's an opinion, and a dumb one. Don't state it like a fact, man. She still gets merchandise, appears in lots of videogames etc.
For a character from a fairly short 25 year old series, that's a big feat.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:48 pm

I am excited for Piccolo fighting but I want his anime design instead of manga design. Also get Krillin out of police uniform. I know there will be slice of life but will be nice to see him in his fight gear.

Where is Vegeta here.

I want a decent antagonist that has a cool design.

Also Piccolo having a house is not what I was expecting but maybe it is a sign of an important role.

Finally I can't help but think of the Pride Troopers after the Movie name.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:54 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:28 pm
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 am to a possible light hearted story with Pan who was one of the worst characters in the franchise in GT is probably gonna cost it.
That's an opinion, and a dumb one. Don't state it like a fact, man. She still gets merchandise, appears in lots of videogames etc.
For a character from a fairly short 25 year old series, that's a big feat.
A lot of characters get merchandise and appear in games. Pan is infamous for being an atrocious character in GT. She's a candidate for the worst character in the franchise. There's not anyone I can think of that's worse than her.