Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:02 am

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm I created a thread but it got closed since it belongs here, so I will copy what I wrote in the thread.

I would like to hear members opinion what they think of Goten and Trunks in the movie.

In my opinion I think they were written and drawn good, they finally look and act like teenagers. We got to see them fight and no one forbid them at all, which is a huge upgrade.

They fused but their fusion failed and resulted in Fat Gotenks, I enjoy his appearance in the movie. Seeing him joke around and fight was funny.
Fat Gotenks is the first failed fusion in canon to have powers to fight.

It is too bad we didn't see a perfect fusion of Gotenks, maybe in another movie we might see it.

Overall I am happy with how Goten and Trunks were written, along with Gotenks.
I haven't seen Super Hero yet, but from what I've seen of Goten and Trunks, I'm pretty pleased. I wish they correctly fused into Gotenks, but it was interesting to see a failed fusion actually end up being somewhat useful in the long run.

Whenever the next big piece of DB media comes out, I really hope Goten and Trunks get the spotlight. Goku, Vegeta, and Broly got... well, 'Broly', and now Gohan and Piccolo (and Pan) got Super Hero. Hopefully, we'll get to see them acting like actual teens in such a thing too.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:52 am

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm I created a thread but it got closed since it belongs here, so I will copy what I wrote in the thread.

I would like to hear members opinion what they think of Goten and Trunks in the movie.

In my opinion I think they were written and drawn good, they finally look and act like teenagers. We got to see them fight and no one forbid them at all, which is a huge upgrade.

They fused but their fusion failed and resulted in Fat Gotenks, I enjoy his appearance in the movie. Seeing him joke around and fight was funny.
Fat Gotenks is the first failed fusion in canon to have powers to fight.

It is too bad we didn't see a perfect fusion of Gotenks, maybe in another movie we might see it.

Overall I am happy with how Goten and Trunks were written, along with Gotenks.
I loved that they finally got their EOZ updated looks, it felt like a much needed time-skip in this regard, instead of having Super play through several years, but looking like it's mere days after the Buu arc.

And besides being bummed out that they can't go SSJ, I understand the reasoning for it as they are simply not that interested in fighting but prefer just fun stuff, as teenagers do, with Goten being forced to train by Goku, but he is more interested in dating as said in the end of Z. In that regard, they were perfect.

With a small nitpick that why does Gotenks have purple hair if Trunks got his hair updated to Blue, I loved Gotenks in the movie.
Sure, I was bummed as a kid to not see "adult" Gotenks in GT, but outside of weird design choices in Heroes and probably because, it would basically be skinnier Gogeta. Them failing fusion makes sense the same as not going SSJ and it was funnier than farting Gogeta... except for the naked butt, but hey, it's series and movie for children and if I was back being 8-10 years old, I would laugh my ass off.

As we got Piccolo and Gohan in spotlight, I would love to see some spin-off with these two, as them being on the animal island instead of 17 got completely ignored in Super, which is a shame. We've got weird filler with Vegeta sucking on pacifier, but this cool filler opportunity got lost... Completely, without even having some full ending in Super, it looked like it was basically cancelled.
Having these two on some adventure, where they have to fight basically, but also exploring their sheananigans as teens would be so much fun. Add Piccolo into the mix, like in Buu arc and it's perfect!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:40 am

There is no evidence Goten and Trunks can't transform into Super Saiyan, the only reason Gotenks failed to fuse was because he was a failed fusion.

Normally failed fusion can't even run.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:43 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm I would like to hear members opinion what they think of Goten and Trunks in the movie.
Not much.

While I like their updated designs, ultimately they add nothing to the film. Their roles amount to extended cameos that begin and end with a little comic relief in the climax and ending. I guess Gotenks does things.

Is that bad? Not necessarily, but like much of this movie, it's something that lends itself to a series of quick novelties that'll probably fade away on repeat viewings. It's nice to see an older Goten and Trunks, but once you've seen them, you've seen them, and there's not much to get out of it beyond that. We actually got to know them more in EoZ than in Super Hero.

They're inoffensive because they don't overstay their welcome for the "just fanservice" inclusion that they are, though I wouldn't have thought any differently of the movie without them.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:02 pm

Saw a subtitled showing last night.

First, the CGI wasn't bad. In fact, it was actually pretty good. It only looked off for like 5 minutes during the opening credits and I adjusted to it pretty quickly (The only hiccup was that Whis looked a little janky for some reason). I can get behind animated Dragon Ball looking like this and all the pre-release complaining about it now seems even sillier to me than it did at the time.

Next, I loved what they did with the sound effects for hits here. Cipher mentioned in the podcast that the blows felt more impactful here than they have before and he wasn't exaggerating. I really felt every kick and punch here and it's all because the sound effects used made them feel hard and weighty.

I ended up liking the Gammas as I expected to since they're a fun duo; but I was surprised to find myself liking Dr. Hedo as well. His plucky enthusiasm for superheroes and his work made him endearing, and he seemed like a more competent and capable antagonist than Magenta. If he was actually evil he would be a serious threat like his grandfather.

With Cell Max, I actually found his mindless screaming a bit unsettling. It might be because I know what this character is supposed to be like so seeing him reduced to a screaming kaiju that's literally missing his brain makes him come off like he's been lobotomized. It's surprisingly effective considering he's just a mindless monster.

Piccolo indeed carries the film and they do so much fun stuff with him here. His relationship with Pan is endearing, I like that he doesn't know how to hold a smartphone because of how humorously weird it looks, him having to disguise himself to infiltrate the RRA base made for some great humor, I like how Orange Piccolo looks in action and how Piccolo didn't care to put any thought into the name, and I like how his dynamic with Gohan and Videl is that of a somewhat beleaguered relative they frequently ask for favors at this point. I also like how Karin and the RRA still think of him as Kami and Piccolo Daimao respectively and that Shenron respectfully refers to him by name. It shows that the legacies of those two characters still loom large over the current Piccolo.

As for Gohan: I like his hairstyle here, it might be my favorite look of his as an adult. I also appreciate that Gohan wasn't dressing up like Piccolo again of his own volition and that it was something Piccolo forced on him out of annoyance. It's also interesting that much like Goku, Gohan loves his family very much but is completely focused on his biology work to the point that he comes off as somewhat neglectful. Much is made of how different Gohan is from Goku so it's neat to see that he actually is like his dad in some respects. With Final Gohan, I'm still not fond of how big his hair looks but other than that I'm fine with the form. I surprisingly wasn't annoyed that they recycled his SSJ2 moment from the Cell arc as the scene they did it for was effective enough that doing it didn't feel like cheap nostalgia pandering this time.

Lastly:

All in all, the movie is great. Definitely better than Resurrection F and even better than Battle of Gods. I haven't seen Broly yet so I can't compare it to that, but based on what I know about Broly, I suspect I'm gonna end up liking SuperHero better when I finally get to it.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:17 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:43 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm I would like to hear members opinion what they think of Goten and Trunks in the movie.
Not much.

While I like their updated designs, ultimately they add nothing to the film. Their roles amount to extended cameos that begin and end with a little comic relief in the climax and ending. I guess Gotenks does things.

Is that bad? Not necessarily, but like much of this movie, it's something that lends itself to a series of quick novelties that'll probably fade away on repeat viewings. It's nice to see an older Goten and Trunks, but once you've seen them, you've seen them, and there's not much to get out of it beyond that. We actually got to know them more in EoZ than in Super Hero.

They're inoffensive because they don't overstay their welcome for the "just fanservice" inclusion that they are, though I wouldn't have thought any differently of the movie without them.
I mean Goten and Trunks could have done more in the movie and they have done their fusion perfectly.

But that is a huge upgrade compared to DBS Anime and Manga. Whenever they wanted to train, they were not allowed. When they wanted to compete or fight villains they were not allowed.

They were not allowed to know about RoF invasion, ToP and Moro invasion. Somehow in the Moro chapter they couldn't sense any battle, regardless of each fighters being stronger than Mecha Freeza and Buu.

In the Buu Saga the Namekian sensed Buu from a different planet.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:50 am

So with Super Hero about to leave theatres in Ireland I guess I should give my thoughts, albeit having only had the chance to see it once.

Animation

Honestly, I had the same concerns as everyone else, but it was quite good. A step down from Super Broly for sure, but it worked and made for an immersive experience that I don't regret seeing in theatres rather than waiting for the Blu-Ray. The panning shots benefited greatly from the use of CG. I know others thought the 2D flashbacks were jarring, but I thought they were fine and flowed well with the rest of the movie.

Art

All the characters, old and new looked great, apart from one shot of Gohan and Piccolo, which has been shown here before that looked really bad. The new characters were very charming, especially the Gammas. The new transformations didn't look as nice, and felt uninspired. I could have done without them.

Story

After two movies which had all the Goku and Vegeta one could ask for it's refreshing to see a movie where the message is that the two iconic saiyans won't always be around. I was surprised by how much a Piccolo story it was, at least for the beginning of the movie when he got the ball rolling. And as someone that likes Gohan becoming a scholar and not just a Goku clone I think this movie justified his need to continue fighting well, especially when it comes to protecting Pan. The ties back to the artificial human and red ribbon army arcs were very enjoyable.

Characters

Mixed bag, but leaning towards good. The Gammas were great, a certain decision made by Gamma #2 in particular was very admirable and added great weight to the story. Magenta was alright, although a bit more generic, especially as a villain. Dr Hedo was very endearing, particularly given his character arc. Cell Max was not very interesting, although at the very least a better version of Bio Broly.

Music

Quite good, very Marvel-esque, but appropriate given the movies comic book feel. I like it for Super Hero, but undecided if I want Naoki Sato to compose more music for Dragon Ball going forward, as I'd like any continuation of Super to have a consistent feel, so I'll reserve judgement on that until I hear more of his work.

I'll give Super Hero a solid 7/10, but I expect that it will grow on me with further rewatches.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:38 pm

New official visuals of Super Hero

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:14 pm

Not a fan of the aura and ambient they used on Piccolo, it looks as if they were trying to hide their orange by contrast. The light that would make his gi's purple this color, would make his orange skin a yellow green.

Curious note: if you light anime's blue belt under orange, it makes black/grey, like the movie's.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 pm

I've seen complaints about Goku telling Vegeta meditation is useless or something along those lines.

Goku has meditated many times (even more so than Geets), that's actually how he unlocked his own UI two months ago, and I think without context it makes Goku look like an idiot, but, and take this with a pinch of salt, I've only seen it once, I think in regards of their conversation (controlling their emotions or rage or power, I think it was about, he was training with Broly), it could have some truth to it.
As in, fine, meditate all you want but eventually you need to put that into practice, if you don't it's like studying and never taking the test. Then Geets responds that he's trying to learn what Jiren does.

I dunno, it makes no sense for Goku to say that, so I'm trying to read that scene from a different perspective, and I think Goku meant they are beyond simple meditation training regimes.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:45 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 pm I've seen complaints about Goku telling Vegeta meditation is useless or something along those lines.

Goku has meditated many times (even more so than Geets), that's actually how he unlocked his own UI two months ago, and I think without context it makes Goku look like an idiot, but, and take this with a pinch of salt, I've only seen it once, I think in regards of their conversation (controlling their emotions or rage or power, I think it was about, he was training with Broly), it could have some truth to it.
As in, fine, meditate all you want but eventually you need to put that into practice, if you don't it's like studying and never taking the test. Then Geets responds that he's trying to learn what Jiren does.

I dunno, it makes no sense for Goku to say that, so I'm trying to read that scene from a different perspective, and I think Goku meant they are beyond simple meditation training regimes.
Yeah, I've seen it argued that Goku is only complaining about Vegeta doing it too much, which may be valid in this context, but Goku outright saying "WaHhH nO wAy tHAt CouNts aS TraINiNg" in the middle of his rant is nothing but OOC stupidity the likes I've never seen. If he ever gets flanderized to the extent that he no longer understands basic tenets of fighting and martial arts, he can get the fuck off the stage already.

I'm seriously considering the possibility that Toriyama himself is getting sick of Goku and Vegeta's stagnant dynamic, so he intentionally wrote them as obnoxious caricatures in the movie, culminating in the ending punchline where everyone is literally bored to sleep of their endless sparring sesh.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:26 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:45 am
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 pm I've seen complaints about Goku telling Vegeta meditation is useless or something along those lines.

Yeah, I've seen it argued that Goku is only complaining about Vegeta doing it too much, which may be valid in this context, but Goku outright saying "WaHhH nO wAy tHAt CouNts aS TraINiNg" in the middle of his rant is nothing but OOC stupidity the likes I've never seen. If he ever gets flanderized to the extent that he no longer understands basic tenets of fighting and martial arts, he can get the fuck off the stage already.

I'm seriously considering the possibility that Toriyama himself is getting sick of Goku and Vegeta's stagnant dynamic, so he intentionally wrote them as obnoxious caricatures in the movie, culminating in the ending punchline where everyone is literally bored to sleep of their endless sparring sesh.
I actually have a better theory: it was Toyotaro's contribution to the film. Let's bash him instead, Tori can't do no wrong.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:27 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:45 am I'm seriously considering the possibility that Toriyama himself is getting sick of Goku and Vegeta's stagnant dynamic, so he intentionally wrote them as obnoxious caricatures in the movie, culminating in the ending punchline where everyone is literally bored to sleep of their endless sparring sesh.
It doesn't stop with Goku. Much of the dialogue and even the gags on Beerus's planet are pretty un-Toriyama and contradict things he's established fairly recently. That's not to say he didn't write it, necessarily, but considering how divorced it is from the actual story of the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else included those scenes for marketing purposes.

Either way, the whole sequence truly is a low point of the film. I appreciate how much it highlights Goku and Vegeta's selfish priorities, but for what it is, it's bloat.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:09 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:27 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:45 am I'm seriously considering the possibility that Toriyama himself is getting sick of Goku and Vegeta's stagnant dynamic, so he intentionally wrote them as obnoxious caricatures in the movie, culminating in the ending punchline where everyone is literally bored to sleep of their endless sparring sesh.
It doesn't stop with Goku. Much of the dialogue and even the gags on Beerus's planet are pretty un-Toriyama and contradict things he's established fairly recently. That's not to say he didn't write it, necessarily, but considering how divorced it is from the actual story of the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else included those scenes for marketing purposes.

Either way, the whole sequence truly is a low point of the film. I appreciate how much it highlights Goku and Vegeta's selfish priorities, but for what it is, it's bloat.
Agreed, it's an unnecessary sequence and the film works perfectly fine without it. I believe Toriyama mainly included it (or someone suggested it to him) to tie in to the previous film and answer the question of what Goku and Vegeta are doing, but that could've been done more succinctly. The early marketing for this movie was pretty much a huge red herring, Goku was the first character design revealed and he was featured in all the promos.

There are some parts I like, but they have no place in this film. Seeing Broly train on Beerus's planet is a draw, as is seeing Vegeta figure out the secret behind Jiren's strength, but it's just fanservice and has nothing to do with the rest of the story. Jiren getting a pointed namedrop is especially strange, since the movies generally haven't been that continuity-heavy with the Super anime/manga storyline, and it's unclear what caused Vegeta to suddenly start thinking about Jiren. The actual sparring match isn't even that bad, I quite like how Vegeta is the calm and instinctive one while Goku is the aggressive hothead for once, but why they're both acting so OOC (did they decide to swap Ultra Instinct and Ultra Ego training for a laugh?) is never really explained either. It's just a very confusing scene.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:57 am

Also, Piccolo makes for such a great protagonist, in some ways he's more enjoyable in that role than Goku. They revealed much more of a human side to Piccolo here. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if it's time for Goku to retire for a while, and I say that even though he's one of my favourite characters ever. And no, not to be replaced by some completely new protagonist as so many General Discussion threads suggest. He and Vegeta will still star in the manga but the movie format seems to work really well for featuring other existing characters in the spotlight. In a sense, Goku wasn't really the main character in Broly either. Hopefully, the success of Super Hero means we'll get more films like it in the future.

Goku's whole appeal is that he's constantly finding new walls to climb. If he's not doing that, there's not much point in including him. It's like making a Sherlock Holmes film and giving him no cases to solve.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:13 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:57 am Also, Piccolo makes for such a great protagonist, in some ways he's more enjoyable in that role than Goku. They revealed much more of a human side to Piccolo here. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if it's time for Goku to retire for a while, and I say that even though he's one of my favourite characters ever. And no, not to be replaced by some completely new protagonist as so many General Discussion threads suggest. He and Vegeta will still star in the manga but the movie format seems to work really well for featuring other existing characters in the spotlight. In a sense, Goku wasn't really the main character in Broly either. Hopefully, the success of Super Hero means we'll get more films like it in the future.

Goku's whole appeal is that he's constantly finding new walls to climb. If he's not doing that, there's not much point in including him. It's like making a Sherlock Holmes film and giving him no cases to solve.
Yeah, Piccolo really forced Toriyama to do new things with his writing, which is why I definitely think a major flaw of Toriyama's writing is how Gokuu is written in such a flat manner. With Piccolo he has to make the film story feel different or else Piccolo suddenly becomes Gokuu! It's a wise decision to change the leading protagonist regularly and I definitely hope that this continues in future films.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:13 am Yeah, Piccolo really forced Toriyama to do new things with his writing, which is why I definitely think a major flaw of Toriyama's writing is how Gokuu is written in such a flat manner. With Piccolo he has to make the film story feel different or else Piccolo suddenly becomes Gokuu! It's a wise decision to change the leading protagonist regularly and I definitely hope that this continues in future films.
Yeah, definitely. Honestly, I'm sooo over the pathological aversion to the suggestion of Goku taking a back seat from the protagonist role. Screw it, let's see some different characters take the spotlight, let's see some different dynamics that challenge expectations. What's the harm at this point? What can the gatekeepers really do to stop it?

Toriyama is underrated when it comes to his skill at writing complex, grounded characters. He has ironically hamstrung himself by limiting Goku to the main role, because Goku is someone with next to no real depth below the surface, almost by design. Goku has his share of quirks, but notice how often we're kept at arm's length from Goku throughout the series. Contrast that against how Tori has written characters like Piccolo, Gohan and Vegeta in the past, where we always get a clear sense of what they're thinking and what's motivating them. Super Hero finally gave him the chance to do write a weightier kind of hero again, i.e. Piccolo, the stoic badass warrior who is secretly an introverted softie trying to look out for his adoptive family.

This could easily spill into the manga thread, but I was thinking about the latest chapter and it connects neatly to what I'm talking about.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:47 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:05 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:13 am Yeah, Piccolo really forced Toriyama to do new things with his writing, which is why I definitely think a major flaw of Toriyama's writing is how Gokuu is written in such a flat manner. With Piccolo he has to make the film story feel different or else Piccolo suddenly becomes Gokuu! It's a wise decision to change the leading protagonist regularly and I definitely hope that this continues in future films.
Yeah, definitely. Honestly, I'm sooo over the pathological aversion to the suggestion of Goku taking a back seat from the protagonist role. Screw it, let's see some different characters take the spotlight, let's see some different dynamics that challenge expectations. What's the harm at this point? What can the gatekeepers really do to stop it?

Toriyama is underrated when it comes to his skill at writing complex, grounded characters. He has ironically hamstrung himself by limiting Goku to the main role, because Goku is someone with next to no real depth below the surface, almost by design. Goku has his share of quirks, but notice how often we're kept at arm's length from Goku throughout the series. Contrast that against how Tori has written characters like Piccolo, Gohan and Vegeta in the past, where we always get a clear sense of what they're thinking and what's motivating them. Super Hero finally gave him the chance to do write a weightier kind of hero again, i.e. Piccolo, the stoic badass warrior who is secretly an introverted softie trying to look out for his adoptive family.

This could easily spill into the manga thread, but I was thinking about the latest chapter and it connects neatly to what I'm talking about.
Yeah, it's really been annoying me for a long time now that Toriyama has tried to keep Dragon Ball without a message because it's honestly just overkill at this point. Don't be afraid of using multiple tools! Pathos! Ethos!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:07 pm

4K UHD Blu-ray & Blu-ray & DVD will be released on December 7th, 2022.

Limited Edition steelbook:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:51 am

Nice, hoping Crunchyroll release it before the end of the year, although early next year would probably be a safer bet.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: