Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr Baggins
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue May 24, 2022 2:05 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:53 pm Well said, although I disagree that someone like Zamasu is actually morally ambiguous.
I agree. My post was a response to the notion that we need "complex" villains, or that it automatically makes for a better story, rather than whether Zamasu himself fits that bill. I don't think he's particularly deep.

I'm just saying that's all surface level discourse, to me.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pm

It really is confounding that promotion for this movie is so minimal compared to Broly in 2018 :wtf:
... 2 weeks to go!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 24, 2022 3:53 pm

Others have better belabored the point re: Zamasu, so I won't get into that right now. I just want to make it clear why I am not fond of the idea of labeling Zamasu as 'morally grey': there is no moral greyness to a character whose entire philosophy is "genocide good" and culminates in "lol you fucked up so I'm going to erase your existence". Considering the very loud and public attempted genocide of my community going on right now in my country I am not quite fond of making these weird excuses about Zamasu. I love Zamasu and Gokuu Black, they are two of my favorite villains right behind Freeza, in fact. There's no legitimate point being made about them here. They're just plain evil. Gloriously queer and evil, but evil nonetheless.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 24, 2022 4:01 pm

Yeah, Zamasu would've been morally grey if he was actually against what he was doing, or suffered while doing it, but he was not. His resolve was absolute. Where's the grey in absolute?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue May 24, 2022 4:06 pm

So again, in another attempt to bring the discussion back on topic:
PrinceVegetto wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pmIt really is confounding that promotion for this movie is so minimal compared to Broly in 2018 :wtf:
... 2 weeks to go!
I hope there will be one more trailer finally showcasing the important part of this movie: grown-up Dende, Goten and Trunks. Hopefully confirming the appearances and that they also aged up Marron and Bra.

I would very much like to see Videl too. It will be extremely odd if for some reason she isn't even in the movie. :wtf:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue May 24, 2022 7:19 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:12 am Something's definitely wrong when their very own target audience starts to make notice.

I'd say the marketing of Movie 1 would have been perfect, if it weren't for them revealing Gogeta. But for Movie 2 they're doing the exact opposite, not only are they not revealing what is inside that thing (which is good and hopefully they keep it that way), but they are not revealing anything else either.

There isn't a single trailer where I can see grown-up Dende, Goten and Trunks. All we have are still images ever since they were revealed in the beginning of the year, we're now approaching the middle of the year.

Besides the need to find their own Kevin Feige, they also need to find someone capable of handling marketing as well. Two jobs are vacant.
I've often wondered how DB would be handled if say the same collective of talent that turned the MCU into a well oiled blockbuster machine applied the same formula to it. Its not that the jobs are vacant its that they somehow refuse to give Iyoku and Hayashida their walking papers when they've constantly screwed up and have expended the goodwill Broly built up

DB Room team more than anything needs a serious roster change.there also needs to be a complete culture/status quo change but i think we are too far gone for such a thing. I wouldn’t wish this staff/team thats working on Superhero on any other manga series even niche small time ones that’s how bad it is. They don’t understand what it takes to make a good anime product in this era or any other tbh.
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Tue May 24, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue May 24, 2022 7:28 pm

PrinceVegetto wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pm It really is confounding that promotion for this movie is so minimal compared to Broly in 2018 :wtf:
... 2 weeks to go!
I want everyone to ask themselves this honestly... are these the actions of a company that’s confident in their work? Toei lying about delays, nearly 0 PR and the fact people on here put on their superman cape to defend the Toei skullduggery is baffling :D

“But but but think of the poor animators”

the wages havent changed from when they made Broly

"They have no 2-d staff available!!"

Movie has been in production for 4 years also:

*See Slam Dunk, Film Red, Kitaro, Sailor Moon movies coming soon*

yeah sure "no staff available" :D

The Timebomb is ticking and the lies ain’t sticking any more :!:
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Tue May 24, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue May 24, 2022 7:42 pm

^^^^^^

So you are the hater this time? Well, someone have to do the job but I don't envy you.

I don't think this image was posted here yet:

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue May 24, 2022 7:52 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:42 pm ^^^^^^

So you are the hater this time? Well, someone have to do the job but I don't envy you.

I'm hating when I'm pointing out all the BS excuses being made for this movie that dont make any sense?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue May 24, 2022 8:37 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:59 pm I mean, is there a reason why he felt the need to taunt Granolah about his dead mother? Or kill his mother in the first place? He still comes off as generic pure evil to me, like Frieza.
Killing the native population to resell the planet to others is their whole business model. Plus, they overheard a conversation with sensitive information, IIRC.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue May 24, 2022 8:45 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:19 pm Something's definitely wrong when their very own target audience starts to make notice.
I've often wondered how DB would be handled if say the same collective of talent that turned the MCU into a well oiled blockbuster machine applied the same formula to it. Its not that the jobs are vacant its that they somehow refuse to give Iyoku and Hayashida their walking papers when they've constantly screwed up and have expended the goodwill Broly built up
It's wonderful that different people have different opinions but, to me, this sounds horrible. DB worked because it was a (more-or-less) singular vision, I'd rather not have it at all than have it turned into bland corporate soup.

To be fair, there are plenty of Marvel movies I've enjoyed, but even at their best they really have that vaguely soulless, "created by committee" feel.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:45 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:19 pm Something's definitely wrong when their very own target audience starts to make notice.
It's wonderful that different people have different opinions but, to me, this sounds horrible. DB worked because it was a (more-or-less) singular vision, I'd rather not have it at all than have it turned into bland corporate soup.

To be fair, there are plenty of Marvel movies I've enjoyed, but even at their best they really have that vaguely soulless, "created by committee" feel.
Isn't this what more cynical fans already accuse DB of being? In that regard, it'd be more a case of simply having more organization and direction for such folks.

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Wed May 25, 2022 12:43 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:06 pm So again, in another attempt to bring the discussion back on topic:
PrinceVegetto wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pmIt really is confounding that promotion for this movie is so minimal compared to Broly in 2018 :wtf:
... 2 weeks to go!
I hope there will be one more trailer finally showcasing the important part of this movie: grown-up Dende, Goten and Trunks. Hopefully confirming the appearances and that they also aged up Marron and Bra.

I would very much like to see Videl too. It will be extremely odd if for some reason she isn't even in the movie. :wtf:
I fully expect Videl to at the very least make a cameo. It would be very weird if she didn't.

The final trailer (if there even is one :? ) should showcase the new theme song and more of the supporting characters to hype the audience up because honestly we've gotten the same footage all year long and it's gotten BEYOND stale. Any logical person at Toei should be aware of this so I wonder what the holdup or "strategy" is?

I don't really care about getting a peek at the final villain. I'd rather be surprised for that.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed May 25, 2022 3:07 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:45 pm

Isn't this what more cynical fans already accuse DB of being? In that regard, it'd be more a case of simply having more organization and direction for such folks.

At this point if we have to pick our poison I’d rather go with the made by committee movies than this at worst you’ll get something like Broly not perfect but way more enjoyable than Ultramankamenrider red ribbon revenge knockoff dead zone 2.0

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed May 25, 2022 5:11 am

Surely we’re getting another trailer, or at the very least a TV spot of some kind that will have the theme for the film. The marketing for this movie is the polar opposite of Broly’s marketing. It’s too reserved, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Keep all the surprises for the film, but for the love of god change up the trailers a bit.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:36 am

11 June release date and its 25 May right now, without much memorable promotion ☠️

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed May 25, 2022 10:09 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:36 am 11 June release date and its 25 May right now, without much memorable promotion ☠️
If you hadn't told me about it just now, I wouldn't have known that it's releasing in 2 weeks.

The marketing for this movie really, genuinely sucked.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed May 25, 2022 11:24 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:09 am The marketing for this movie really, genuinely sucked.
We still dont have any theme song and not to mention we still didnt get a proper well made trailer.

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Wed May 25, 2022 2:10 pm

2 weeks before Broly premiered Gogeta was revealed. Hype was over 9,000

2 weeks before Super Hero releases they reveal...a car :D :D

But don't worry everyone. Toei promised “this will be the most talked about film!” :thumbup:

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed May 25, 2022 2:14 pm

Why are you guys worrying (or even care) about the marketing of a mega franchise produced by mega corporation instead of the quality of the story? It's not your job to sell the movie.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.