Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri May 27, 2022 6:38 pm

If I took a shot for every time someone said this movie looks like a PS4 game, I would have died of alcohol poisoning 3 months ago.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:55 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:01 pm OK. This trailer is making me nervous about Piccolo being weak as shit.
I think he'll be fine. The fact that he gets a new form is good enough for me.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 27, 2022 7:30 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:38 pm If I took a shot for every time someone said this movie looks like a PS4 game, I would have died of alcohol poisoning 3 months ago.
I mean, the movie is being animated using a literal game engine...

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri May 27, 2022 7:40 pm

I hope the movie writers and artists are factoring in that the anime made it clear that Gohan could use his various forms interchangeably.

While it's a bit of a stray away from him sticking to only Ultimate in DBS, him going through his forms at least makes sense in the anime continuity establishing a firm distinction between his 4 main states of base, SS, SS2, and Ultimate.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri May 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:30 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:38 pm If I took a shot for every time someone said this movie looks like a PS4 game, I would have died of alcohol poisoning 3 months ago.
I mean, the movie is being animated using a literal game engine...
Unreal Engine is not just used for video games. It’s been used in the film and television industry. A software engine does not dictate what something will look like. Artists, animators and directors are responsible for that.

Hell, I use an Epic Games program for my work, and I sure as hell don’t make video games lol.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:26 pm

If the shoe fits

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 pm

jjbgood wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:38 am I'm really not that enthusiastic as most people here. It looks good as what it is - a CG movie using an dated game engine - but it's in no case mindblowing for me. Would it be a cutscene for a new PS4 game, i would call it "sick" too, but it's supposed to be a movie in 2022. Anyway: i still hope it will good in storytelling. I like everything thats presented so far. I love the new character designs, i love the slice of life bits we know so far, i love the focus of the story and i'm sure we don't know everything yet. There will be surprises and Toei will presumibly spoil them just days before the premiere (as always), but pretty sure that's not it.

My bets:
Gohan will achive something greater than just his Ultimate form.
There will be a final villian of some sorts, wich will come from that water tank thing.
Goku, Vegeta and Broly will not be involved in the main plot but have a little side quest for brolys character growth.

Yeah, i'm curious for the movies story, but i can't praise the look of it. But i'm happy for everyone who like this artstyle.
To be fair unreal engine 5 just released for devs in 2022. there is no way Toei would have had access to it when developing this movie which started i guess right after Broly was released. if anything the talent is below supbar that why it look they way it does you can make some crazy looking stuff on unreal engine 4 i.e Arcsys

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 28, 2022 12:24 am

CGI looks great, honestly. I was extremely doubtful at first. The CGI in BoG was hilariously bad, RoF at least learned not to linger on it too long, and Broly had some interesting but slightly out-of-place scenes. This has surpassed my expectations. I'm excited for the animation at this point. I may be let down in the end, and I still would've wanted something that looks more like Broly, but if this looks good throughout, I'm all in.

Doesn't look dated or anything like video game graphics. This looks better than FighterZ, and that's saying a lot. Not as good as Spiderverse or Lego Movie or something, but...it's an impressive first try.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Sat May 28, 2022 2:38 am

Lionel wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:49 pm Colour me underwhelmed. Gohan is a favourite of mine but I too don't like this continual rehashing of the stagnation to reclaiming his step on the battlefield formula. It's been tried and done three different times now. The interest Gohan showed in bettering his martial ability under the banner and identity of a human back in the Tournament of Power is apparently compromisable for him since the trailers are depicting him transforming into a Super Saiyan. Has he lost his Ultimate power yet again? Admittedly my confidence in Toriyama's ability to stick to a prolonged continuity for certain character developments is waning.

It's refreshing to witness the younger Saiyans and Pan being proactive on the battlefield though I feel the advertisement may be grandstanding the performative quality of their role in the movie. It's probably going to come down to Gohan and Piccolo fighting these two newfangled androids while the suspense of what's going on between Goku, Broly and Beerus on the latter's home planet entices fans to continue watching. I can't see neo Red Ribbon with yet another pair of artificial fighters fighting the B cast offering enough juicy material for fans to get very excited about. Gohan and Piccolo are highly favoured characters, no doubt. But this movie is probably going to have to do a lot to sell itself on its premise.
Well, To be fair we don't know if Gohan regaining his Ultimate form during the TOP was a Toriyama plot point. For all we know, Gohan was still a Super Saiyan in his continuity until this movie. So we really don't know

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 28, 2022 3:39 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:38 am
sigmasigma wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:26 am Finally a new trailer!
https://youtu.be/PguuUmMwXM4
Wow, this really doesn't feel like the Slice of Life movie they were going for. This trailer is all action :shock:
I wonder if they changed the plans midway through or something. Or I guess the comfy scenes will be at the start before it gets serious, but that was always the case in DB movies anyhow.

Or its just how they're choosing to promote.
batistabus wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:24 am CGI looks great, honestly. I was extremely doubtful at first. The CGI in BoG was hilariously bad, RoF at least learned not to linger on it too long, and Broly had some interesting but slightly out-of-place scenes. This has surpassed my expectations. I'm excited for the animation at this point. I may be let down in the end, and I still would've wanted something that looks more like Broly, but if this looks good throughout, I'm all in.

Doesn't look dated or anything like video game graphics. This looks better than FighterZ, and that's saying a lot. Not as good as Spiderverse or Lego Movie or something, but...it's an impressive first try.
How does it look better than fighterz in your opinion? In my opinion it doesn't. Fighterz catches the anime look impressively.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat May 28, 2022 6:08 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:40 pm I hope the movie writers and artists are factoring in that the anime made it clear that Gohan could use his various forms interchangeably.

While it's a bit of a stray away from him sticking to only Ultimate in DBS, him going through his forms at least makes sense in the anime continuity establishing a firm distinction between his 4 main states of base, SS, SS2, and Ultimate.
Here's the thing. It's been made clear that using anything other than Ultimate is meaningless. Because, as explained by Elder Kai, it's a state where he has access to all of his power without the need for transformation. Using his SSJ forms would actually be detrimental wastes of energy with no real benefit. That's why after regaining it with Piccolo for the ToP, he didn't use anything else. So Gohan losing it again for this movie and using his SSJ forms only makes sense if it's for the purpose of selling Merchandise. And that's really the only reason for it.

It's the same reason why they keep giving Gohan a hair makeover each time. It's so they can make his toys and merch just that tiny bit different to justify having people buy the same thing again. What's the difference between SSJ Gohan in this film and SSJ Gohan when he was training Goten? Literally just his hair and the glasses, which he doesn't actually need.

Besides that, not putting him in the Great Saiyaman outfit for this movie feels like a huge wasted moment. They title the movie Super Hero and Great Saiyaman is Gohan's HERO IDENTITY, and what did they do? They put him in the Piccolo outfit. Instead of a costume that was more uniquely Gohan's, it's just back to the same duds Piccolo gave him.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 am

People just assume that he's lost his Ultimate form again.
Don't forget that he can also choose to use Super Saiyan, as Ultimate was revealed to be an alternate form when he pushes further and not a replacement.

This is Gohan we're talking about: like he did with Freeza's army, he'll probably try not to kill opponents and go soft with the Gamma duo, only transforming further and further as he gets surprised by their unexpected strength - or the strength of the mystery villain - and is forced to step higher into his transformations.
Possibly transforming further if he loses his lenient temper because of Pan being directly threatened or mistreated in front of him or something.

Why would you expect kind Gohan who always tries to avoid overkills to jump into Ultimate form without checking if Super Saiyan forms are enough first?
The Tournament of Power was an emergency situation filled with strong opponents everywhere that required him to go full power without wasting time when needed, but in case of a more classic face-off, I would expect Gohan to go progressively through his forms, giving the opponents repeated warnings that they should quit while it's still time.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat May 28, 2022 9:04 am

Had Ultimate form lightbint before?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat May 28, 2022 10:15 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 am People just assume that he's lost his Ultimate form again.
Don't forget that he can also choose to use Super Saiyan, as Ultimate was revealed to be an alternate form when he pushes further and not a replacement.

This is Gohan we're talking about: like he did with Freeza's army, he'll probably try not to kill opponents and go soft with the Gamma duo, only transforming further and further as he gets surprised by their unexpected strength - or the strength of the mystery villain - and is forced to step higher into his transformations.
Possibly transforming further if he loses his lenient temper because of Pan being directly threatened or mistreated in front of him or something.
That's a Goku'ism. Goku cycles through transformations. Gohan doesn't need to. You're acting as if he can't hold back after transforming. Which is wildly incorrect. Of course they can control their power. It's the same as how Krillin could stand against SSB Goku, because Goku is controlling how much power he's using when knowing Krillin is nowhere near that level. If that's how Gohan treated things, he would've done the same during the ToP and the fight with Moro's gang in the manga. Neither of which happened because once Gohan reacquired Ultimate, he had full access to, and thus full control of, All of his power and thus making his SSJ transformations redundant.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 28, 2022 10:41 am

Not sure if this has been shared on this forum already but here is Herms' translation of the DBS:SH twitter account interview of Toriyama:
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1530389182085885954
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 28, 2022 10:50 am

sangofe wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:39 am How does it look better than fighterz in your opinion? In my opinion it doesn't. Fighterz catches the anime look impressively.
Don't get me wrong, FighterZ looks amazing. The character models in FighterZ look fantastic, and animation wise, it is really smart about the way it animates (frames) and the way it morphs the models to achieve different perspectives. Some of those techniques are at play in this movie, but ultimately, this is a lot more animated and ambitious. The technique of animators drawing over the 3D models help a lot, and that's especially the case when it comes to ki/water/smoke effects. There are other smaller details like the hand-drawn effect on character outlines, the way character outlines blur when they move quickly, lighting, etc. Also, the character models have more polygons and the backgrounds are more detailed.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 28, 2022 11:15 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:41 am Not sure if this has been shared on this forum already but here is Herms' translation of the DBS:SH twitter account interview of Toriyama:
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1530389182085885954
A few thoughts from this:

- I can't help but feel like the way Toriyama frames his statement of how Gohan is stronger than anyone is such a "carrot-dangling" comment. Like... Toriyama has to be aware of how much of a significant part he has played in making Goku and Vegeta so much stronger than the rest of the cast in the last decade and how he has done nothing significant with Gohan's character since the Majin Boo arc.

- The whole idea that Gohan hasn't a chance to shine makes me think even more that he didn't give any significant attention to what happened in the Tournament Of Power (for the anime) or the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc (for the manga). The latter case is even more perplexing given he worked with Toyotaro in coming up with the plot outline for that arc. Unless it was a case of Toyotaro including Gohan in that arc himself as Toriyama had no plans for him.

- I REALLY don't like the idea of Gohan needing Piccolo (or Goku for that matter) to motivate Gohan when it comes to martial arts. That was fine when Gohan was a child and going through a significant character arc, but he's a full-grown adult, married and has a child. Shouldn't that be enough motivation for him to keep up his strength? Even then, wasn't the whole reason Gohan started wearing Goku's gi in the Majin Boo arc and onward was because he wanted to be just like his father? Why did that motivation to be just like Goku end?

- I thought Mr Satan was Toriyama's favourite character?

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat May 28, 2022 11:30 am

batistabus wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:50 am Don't get me wrong, FighterZ looks amazing. The character models in FighterZ look fantastic, and animation wise, it is really smart about the way it animates (frames) and the way it morphs the models to achieve different perspectives.
I actually think its character models are a mixed bag. This doesn't particularly look on-model to me, and there are some cutscenes from DBZ Kakarot that look better in motion than anything in FighterZ. If anything, those would be my standard for comparison.

Movie looks good, though. I guess we'll see how the final product turns out.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sat May 28, 2022 12:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:15 am - I thought Mr Satan was Toriyama's favourite character?
Toriyama named different favourite characters of his over the years. These days it might be Piccolo. Next year maybe someone else.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sat May 28, 2022 1:27 pm

I hope this movie is about how Gohan comes back to being a part time hero after the ToP