Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:01 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:56 pm
Xeogran wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:52 pm
DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 pm The interesting thing is weather or not this movie is cannon to the story. Because if this is Post Moro, or Post Granolah you got a bit of a problem because Anime Only watchers are gonna be confused if its cannon to the manga and you have Goku using MUI at will or Vegeta having his new form.

Which makes me think either this movie isn't cannon, or they will ignore the Manga's events entirely.
Or it will be an slice of life movie where Goku won't have a reason to tap into MUI and will leave the fighting to preschooler Pan :lol:
Ooooh Who's to say Goku and Vegeta are even in this movie? Given we see Pan, Police Krilin, and Piccolo having a house on earth this seems to be more earth centric story and maybe lower stakes. And this is in the few months between the Moro arc and Granolah arc where Goku and Vegeta were off Training with Whis and Beerus.
Well Goku is definitely in the movie he is in the teaser but I am worried about Vegeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Alright, let's talk about the only interesting thing about all of this: Pan has aged up! Either she will outgrow Goten, Trunks and Marron, or they have also aged up too, finally! :D But how old do you guys think she is here?

I'm having a bit of hard time believing she's two years old as well as having a strong feeling this is before the 28º tournament. So maybe... she is three years old? That would place this movie in AGE 782. Two years before the tournament.

Hey, at least all this gave me something to look forward, I really can't wait to see other characters looking a bit older.
Last edited by Grimlock on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Alruneia wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:47 pm It cracks me up that the slightly unexpected character seems to be Pan. That is certainly slightly unexpected, Toriyama, I'll give you that. :lol:
But with this, I really wonder what the relation between the movie and EoZ is, and what the status of EoZ is for that matter. And the relation with the manga, though of course this info does firmly place the movie post-Moro (baby Pan appears at the afterparty) and post-Granolah unless there's a significant timeskip in the Granolah arc.
It's been said that Granola's remaining lifetime is 3 years...maybe we'll actually see this period of time occur during this saga for some reason? And then in the end, Pan would already be grown up.

They mentioned that she would be in Kindergarten, and in Japan children start this phase at 3 years old. Seems to be before EoZ anyway (I don't remember her age during EoZ though)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Not gonna lie, I am disappointed. I don’t think the Goku they showed looked bad, but I wanted 2D animation and instead we got slightly better Kakarot visuals. It looks better than Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, but it also looks worse than Broly.

The story is intriguing though. Toriyama looks very involved this time, and the story is something fresh like Battle of Gods and not a rehash of some old villain.

I liked that Piccolo finally got a home.

Will this really be set after EoZ? Pan looks older than it was in the final chapters, doesn’t she?
What age do kids start going to school in Japan? Because she could also be 3 there.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Well, I'm more hyped for older Pan and Piccolo (and probably End of Z setting) than for manga (well, let's be honest... zero excitement for manga). The last time I've felt like this was when BoG was announced. Finally something worth waiting for!
This may be the most exciting message I've posted here.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by BWri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:08 pm

Super Murjin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:59 pm
BWri wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:41 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 pm Here's a design for the new character of the movie:

He might be a Cyborg ala Cyborg 009. Another favorite show of mine.
Goten and Trunks under disguise as super heros
That's interesting. I kind of like it. The superhero moniker might be Gamma or Gamma-man, due to the symbol on the belt.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Piccolo's place feels like when I smoke a lot and then eat a lot.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 pm

I'm so mixed, man. I love all the character sheets. I love that it all looks like new original stuff. I love the really stupid title.

...But fuck, I really didn't want it to be CG. It doesn't look bad, I actually think it looks good. They kinda nailed all the 2D characteristics and blended it into Goku's 3D model. But I can't get my sakuga fix out of a CG film. I'm disappointed with the visual direction, but everything else looks great.

Hopefully the visuals wow me like how Spider-Verse blew me away the first time I saw it. It's just so weird for them to decide to make a CG film after the praise Broly got for its hand-drawn animation.

Cautiously optimistic.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Neko Majin time?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Some small detail I have noticed is that Piccolo’s back to having really small pupils like he used to in the manga, and Krillin now has rounder eyes like Toriyama draws him nowadays.

I am also very happy that they are finally giving everyone their manga colors. I doubt Toriyama cared about this like they claim to, but it’s still something.

I hope the movie will be finally about Toriyama addressing for once and all the fact that Goku IS NOT a superhero.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:21 pm Neko Majin time?
Along with Kuriza? Yes, please. Those would fit nicely as the "unexpected character(s)" and I would love them.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:03 pm Alright, let's talk about the only interesting thing about all of this: Pan has aged up! Either she will outgrow Goten, Trunks and Marron, or they have also aged up too, finally! :D But how old do you guys think she is here?

I'm having a bit of hard time believing she's two years old as well as having a strong feeling this is before the 28º tournament. So maybe... she is three years old? That would place this movie in AGE 782. Two years before the tournament.

Hey, at least all this gave me something to look forward, I really can't wait to see other characters looking a bit older.
So they confirmed that she is in kindergarten now. I don't know if the school system is the same in Japan but over here that would mean Pan is atleast 4 years old now.

So this would mean that the movie will take place further than the point of the manga??? Welp time for more timeline and confusing canon and noncanon talk...

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:30 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:54 pm Image

This is definitely a post EoZ movie! Pan looks older than she does during EoZ
Now isn't that the cutest outfit for a 1/4 Saiyan you've ever seen?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Did they outright announce it will be CGI?

Because I wouldn't go by a teaser trailer just yet. That could have been something put together to announce the title.

If we get a trailer showing actual scenes of the movie, then it might be safe to say it is CGI or 2D.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:34 pm

I see so many disappointed people all over the internet. I'm super excited for this but I feel like i'm in the minority here which makes me sad. Only thing I don't like so far is the movie's title. It's lame, and Goku better not be the main character since he ain't a super hero lol

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:34 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:21 pm I am also very happy that they are finally giving everyone their manga colors. I doubt Toriyama cared about this like they claim to, but it’s still something.
I wonder if it means blue hair for kid Trunks?
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 pm ...But fuck, I really didn't want it to be CG. It doesn't look bad, I actually think it looks good. They kinda nailed all the 2D characteristics and blended it into Goku's 3D model. But I can't get my sakuga fix out of a CG film. I'm disappointed with the visual direction, but everything else looks great.
I'm not a fan of CGI animation (in productions like this one) but this Goku looked good (would look better in EoZ gi :P ). I'd rather they would stick to "Broly" style, though.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:36 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:32 pm Did they outright announce it will be CGI?

Because I wouldn't go by a teaser trailer just yet. That could have been something put together to announce the title.

If we get a trailer showing actual scenes of the movie, then it might be safe to say it is CGI or 2D.
They showed the title separately, and the clip of Goku was described as footage showing off what the film will be like (but not an actual clip from the film). Hard to interpret it as anything else except "this is how the film is going to look" imo. If it's not CGI then I have no idea why they would would showcase a random CGI clip

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:36 pm

The only thing I find interesting is that it takes place a bit further after Z with Pan being aged a bit more, maybe now Goten and Trunks won't look like toddlers. Other than that nothing really catches my interest so far and the visuals especially are a major disappointment. Going CG is a step back from the Broly movie imo smh.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:38 pm

I find it funny how closely this new teaser resembles Broly's teaser in terms of what's actually happening. We literally got Goku jumping around, looking at the audience and then slamming his foot on the ground as he makes a fighting pose. It's the same thing but in CG. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:39 pm

I'm more dissapointed that the film won't look as good as Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary going by the teaser. I guess we'll see in a year or so.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf