Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:40 am

I just realised that any dub will be a pain in the ass to watch because the lip flaps won't be in sync unless if it's in Japanese. I might actually watch this subbed first just for that reason. CG anime tends to have more accurate lip flaps animation than hand drawn anime.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:46 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:08 pm I genuinely hope that Pan is the protagonist and this is all a coming-of-age story. I'm thinking something like Hosoda's Mirai, but done in Dragon Ball's quirky style.
This would be excellent

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:50 am

Movie confirmed to have a lighter tone than DBS Broly. May be akin to BOG.
I think this new movie has a different appeal to the outrageously intense 'Dragon Ball Super: Broly'. There are a lot more slice-of-life scenes that really put a spotlight on the rich world that Toriyama has created. Of course, that's not to say the movie doesn't have its share of intense scenes! It's a perfect fusion of classic Dragon Ball and new aspects to the series, which is why I feel it might just end up being something truly original and groundbreaking!
Source: https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_332.html
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:07 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:50 am Movie confirmed to have a lighter tone than DBS Broly. May be akin to BOG.
This is what I'm telling people. There's no reason to be upset about a slice of life dragon ball film. Battle of Gods is like 60% slice of life comedy and 40% Action and serious dragon ball. And that movie rocks! I am not worried about this movie one bit, I'm actually quite hyped. :clap:

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:48 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 pm Despite the fact that the Broly movie is much nicer, there is a reason why Battle of Gods is still my Favorite Dragon Ball Movie. Followed by Path to Power and then Broly.

Battle of Gods not only started the Dragon Ball Renisance, but also does neat things for the story and I really liked Goku's aditude about getting Super Saiyan God and wish that was continued where he hated not earning forms.

Edit: If this is what the movie will look like, I'm down.

They focused A LOT on Piccolo, and that's... very interesting. New "colors", new details, the house ecc. We didn't have a similar treatmant in .... years?
Was the first characters that they showed too, right? I hope he'll get a big role in this movie.
That location gives me Cooler vibes as well (from Cooler's revenge), but i don't know.

About the new character, could he be similar to Catopesra (U3 fighter)?
Number 1 = attack mode. Number 2 = defense mode ecc... Or we just have 2 separate characters with different outfits.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:53 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:07 am
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:50 am Movie confirmed to have a lighter tone than DBS Broly. May be akin to BOG.
This is what I'm telling people. There's no reason to be upset about a slice of life dragon ball film. Battle of Gods is like 60% slice of life comedy and 40% Action and serious dragon ball. And that movie rocks! I am not worried about this movie one bit, I'm actually quite hyped. :clap:
While I like BOG a lot, that movie did seem to divide the fanbase to some degree because of its more comedic approach. I mean, Ressurection F, from a creative standpoint was moulded based off of the more contentious opinions some fans had of the lighter and more carefree tone that BOG had.

If DBS Super Hero is gonna be a light-hearted movie, it better have a damn good story to supplement and complement its tone. I really don't want this film to feel like one of the filler episodes from the Super anime stretched out to 90 - 105 minutes.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:00 am

I think a possible reason the movie is named “DB Super: Super Hero“ is because people might mix up “DB Super: Hero” with “Super DB Heroes”.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:01 am

Brettjr25 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:22 am Pan wants to be like Gohan and asks Videl to teach her martial arts.
I like the idea of the movie showing how and why Pan decided to start training in martial arts. I don’t think Videl will be the one who teaches her, though. I think it’s much more likely that it will be either Goku (seeing how much she admires him by the End of Z) or even Piccolo, who is seemingly getting a lot of love in this movie!

I love that we are getting a slice of life focused movie. While Broly was surely entertaining, it had way too little dialogue and story. Hopefully this one will last more than 2 hours and be much more a story and less mindless action.

I can’t wait to know more about what this will be about and to see a real trailer!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:11 am

Gt91 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:48 amAbout the new character, could he be similar to Catopesra (U3 fighter)?
Number 1 = attack mode. Number 2 = defense mode ecc... Or we just have 2 separate characters with different outfits.
I was thinking that, too! It looks like there's a little dial on the back of his gun with a number next to it. I'm guessing when he turns that dial it changes to 2 and his appearance will also change.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:13 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:11 am
Gt91 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:48 amAbout the new character, could he be similar to Catopesra (U3 fighter)?
I was thinking that, too! It looks like there's a little dial on the back of his gun with a number next to it. I'm guessing when he turns that dial it changes to 2 and his appearance will also change.
Yes! But they still can be twins or something like that.
I think he's a general, or something like that, related to the Galactic Patrol.
We'll see :D

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:02 am

Extreme_kai wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:07 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm I also want to say a resounding THANK FUCK that it's not another "old villain returns/gets canonically reimagined" scenario.
Considering we didn't know about Broly and Gogeta until a few months before DBS Broly was released this is still a possibility. I for one would welcome it, I prefer old villains I love over bland new forgettable villains like Moro any day. I'm in it for the nostalgia, and so far what I see doesn't interest me. Pan is the least interesting DB character ever imo, and I especially don't like stories revolving around kid characters, probably why GT was so bland to me. The only way to bring the hype back for me is if the beforementioned scenario of an old movie villain comes to past, otherwise, I'll save my money. You can say I'm just a fan of certain characters (especially villains) rather than a full-on franchise fan, and you wouldn't exactly be wrong honestly. I do bring money though, I went to see Broly twice in theaters and bought it twice on Amazon in two languages, along with games and merch. So I care if it gives me a reason to.
Well, I respect your honesty. I guess you're right that those two didn't get revealed straight away, so there's still a possibility, but I'm not betting money on it, personally.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:54 am

They could shoehorn some fanservice in the movie but at least it won’t be about canonizing a new villain, or else I think they would have already said it.

I still think Broly might appear somehow, even though he feels a little out of place if the movie has a focus on Pan. Which is why I also doubt that Freeza will appear.

Heck, Vegeta and Bulma might skip this one too especially if they want to keep the Bulma’s line from EoZ somewhat reasonable.

In my opinion we will see: Goku, Krillin, Gohan, Piccolo, Pan, Videl, Mr Satan, Chi-Chi, Marron, 18

But of course it’s impossible to tell based off what we know, and it sounds hard to think they wouldn’t have Vegeta at all considering how he’s basically Super’s co-protagonist.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am

The title will take some time getting used to, but I don't necessarily hate it.

I've seen people claim that the characters we've seen artwork for first ( Piccolo & Krillin & Pan ) will be the main cast or something like that, and while I do wish they will get a lot of focus, I don't think them being shown first is proof this will be their movie. I think they'll gradually reveal more and more character artwork as promotion and these just happened to be chosen as the first. Though I do think seeing Piccolo have a version without a cape heavily implies he'll get to do some fighting. His character sheet for Broly only ever had a version with cape.

A now for the main bone of contention : CG

Yeah, I too would've rather had it be 2d, but I'm not horribly disappointed. I am actually open to the idea of them trying a new method.
I've been pretty impressed with how DB Fighterz and the initial promo for DB Legends looked, so I expect a cinematic movie to look even better. The first animated look we get of Goku is a bit stiffer than I would've liked, but people have commented on the frame rate and it is just a first attempt, so I am not terribly worried for now. As far as design goes, he looks pretty spot on. No complaints there.

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 am

I am seeing people pointing out that the actions of goku in the teaser is exactly the same as broly teaser just that it is in 3D this time. So who is going to do Character design for this movie? I don't have an eye to spot these things but the guy who did work in Broly movie did amazing designs and gave a fresh air to the franchise. Are we going to get same staff for design?

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:47 am

Michsi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am The title will take some time getting used to, but I don't necessarily hate it.

I've seen people claim that the characters we've seen artwork for first ( Piccolo & Krillin & Pan ) will be the main cast or something like that, and while I do wish they will get a lot of focus, I don't think them being shown first is proof this will be their movie. I think they'll gradually reveal more and more character artwork as promotion and these just happened to be chosen as the first. Though I do think seeing Piccolo have a version without a cape heavily implies he'll get to do some fighting. His character sheet for Broly only ever had a version with cape.

Yeah, I too would've rather had it be 2d, but I'm not horribly disappointed. I am actually open to the idea of them trying a new method.
I've been pretty impressed with how DB Fighterz and the initial promo for DB Legends looked, so I expect a cinematic movie to look even better. The first animated look we get of Goku is a bit stiffer than I would've liked, but people have commented on the frame rate and it is just a first attempt, so I am not terribly worried for now. As far as design goes, he looks pretty spot on. No complaints there.
In the livestream they said that Pan will play an integral part in the movie, that's why some think she will be a main character.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:47 am
Michsi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am The title will take some time getting used to, but I don't necessarily hate it.

In the livestream they said that Pan will play an integral part in the movie, that's why some think she will be a main character.
Oh, I missed that. Well, I expect her to be important. Maybe she will have a similar role as Trunks did in the 12th GBZ movie.

One more thing I wanted to add: I've also seen people think this will have Gohan as the main character because of the "super hero" in the title. I dunno, my gut tells me that if that really were the case, his character sheet would've been the first to be shown. It's just a feeling, I guess.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:09 am

Maybe they showed Piccolo first alongside Krillin because they wanted to point out the subtle changes they did to bring them closer to their manga look, but the fact Piccolo was also shown without the cape and is getting a home is a positive sign for all Piccolo fans out there that he will too play an important role.

About the CG, I am open to the idea too. I will miss the softer muscles from Broly, and I liked how they actually had different, more detailed sheets for battles. But CG can work pretty well too and might actually surprise us with some stuff which wouldn’t be feasible to do in 2D.

Also, now that most of the work to translate DB designs to CG has been done, could it possibly mean that if they do future movies in the same style it will take them much less work? They have been working on this one since 2019, but maybe they will be able to pump out a new one in 2023 too due to the technology already being out there (I bet the story for a new movie has also already being written).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:19 am

emperior wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:09 am Maybe they showed Piccolo first alongside Krillin because they wanted to point out the subtle changes they did to bring them closer to their manga look, but the fact Piccolo was also shown without the cape and is getting a home is a positive sign for all Piccolo fans out there that he will too play an important role.

About the CG, I am open to the idea too. I will miss the softer muscles from Broly, and I liked how they actually had different, more detailed sheets for battles. But CG can work pretty well too and might actually surprise us with some stuff which wouldn’t be feasible to do in 2D.

Also, now that most of the work to translate DB designs to CG has been done, could it possibly mean that if they do future movies in the same style it will take them much less work? They have been working on this one since 2019, but maybe they will be able to pump out a new one in 2023 too due to the technology already being out there (I bet the story for a new movie has also already being written).
Yeah, that sounds about right. I actually consider Krillin having white sclera a pretty big deal, even more so than Piccolo's yellow arm patches. It's such a defining character design-thing for him to have his eyes drawn over skin that I'm a little unsure on how to feel about it. But you are right, this might be why they chose to show these particular characters now, to indicate they want it to be closer to the manga's version of things.

Goku, Vegeta don't really have anything design-wise that sets them apart from manga versions

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 am

I've always liked Pan and I particularly enjoyed her as a main character in GT too (she helps our heroes plenty of times if you look closely). Happy to see her get a role here, hopefully we'll see the young saiyan's introduction to martial arts.

We know how Gohan and Goten started their fighting careers, but Pan's beginning was kept a secret for very long.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:53 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:53 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:07 am
While I like BOG a lot, that movie did seem to divide the fanbase to some degree because of its more comedic approach. I mean, Ressurection F, from a creative standpoint was moulded based off of the more contentious opinions some fans had of the lighter and more carefree tone that BOG had.

If DBS Super Hero is gonna be a light-hearted movie, it better have a damn good story to supplement and complement its tone. I really don't want this film to feel like one of the filler episodes from the Super anime stretched out to 90 - 105 minutes.
That's what irked me for a while now. Battle of Gods was the most Dragon Ball feeling product I've seen in a long time from the franchise and was a breath of fresh air. Then I noticed a lot of people were annoyed with the comedy and I feel that was reflected in Revival of "f" tho in some ways (with things like SSGSJ) it almost felt like a meta parody but people loved it and they've gone that rout ever since and went full on post Freeza trope train.

Now there are some good stuff that comes out of the new stuff and the fact this is basically a breather movie makes me more excited for it.