Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:44 pm

translation: no weebs allowed.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:50 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:44 pm translation: no weebs allowed.
AMC Theaters saw my bedroom and were like "Fuckin' fujoshi trash." :oops:
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:06 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:27 amdo we know the budget yet? I think the movie will break even at least even if it somehow fails to gross more than res F
I don't think it's been revealed yet. The 2014 CGI film Saint Seiya film cost $8 million so I assume Super Hero would cost more. Toei's most expensive film was the CGI Captain Harlock and cost around $30 million. That was a collaboration with another studio so maybe Toei wouldn't have made it on their own.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:59 pm

Another note: there were a lot of couples present for the dub showing I went to.

Music:

I was much more impressed with this soundtrack than the first examples of Sumitomo's work (BoG and RoF were completely forgettable for me, as well as most of the DBS anime soundtrack). I love the "Avant-title" (RR summary) and "Gamma Android" (Piccolo vs Gamma 2) themes, and my favorite track is of course "Super Hero" (the main theme, the trailer theme, Gohan vs Gamma 1, etc., and all the motifs). I really dislike the 2nd song (I don't know what it's called, it sounds like Spider-Man music).

The soundtrack is very tailored to the Super Hero theme, and I don't think it would work for a different DB story. So in terms of judging how well I think Naoki Sato works with DB...I'm not sure? I like DBS:Broly's soundtrack better than this, and all are far behind Kikuchi for me. So...if Sato returns, show me something different.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:27 pm

I watched the movie on Saturday in cinema, I got to say I enjoyed the movie a lot. I enjoyed everything about the movie.

The only thing weird is Goku being against meditation, which contradicts his characters for this reason.

Goku did meditation with Mr Popo training.
Goku did meditation in the ROSAT, which unlocked SSJ Grade 2 and 3.
Goku did meditation before the 25th Martial Art Tournament.
Goku did visual training in DBS, while Goten used Tractor.

When Vegeta was standing still for days, Goku calls Vegeta a genius. This was during the Cell Saga.

Apart from that everything was good. Piccolo, Pan, Gohan, Hedo, RRA, Gammas, Goten, Trunks, Gotenks, C18, etc they were all enjoyable. Goku and Vegeta was enjoyable.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:39 pm

I noticed that Piccolo called Pan's teacher Janet in English dub. This name does not exist in Japanese dub

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:21 pm

Things I missed by watching it via 'interesting" ways:

Surprisingly, the Gammas were kind of cool. My first impression was "great, more generic characters", and while they were put in that old "working for the evil without knowing they are evil" cliche, they both turned out to be okay even in that context. Gamma 2's sacrifice was pretty awesome, gotta say that.

Hedo is twenty four years old, huh? He's one year younger than Gohan. Speaking of time, they really need to tone down a little bit the whole "just a few years/while ago", this was used throughout the movie to refer to events that happened decades ago. I know they want to be vague, but try at least to be more accurate with the vagueness (should be given precise information, but I understand I'm asking too much).

I don't know if it's just an issue I have alone but I found the whole thing about Bulma cringe and unacceptable. Can someone please tell me if there's any good reason or if it's funny, at all, to focus the camera on her ass and for her to make stupid wishes like that? We won't see Shenlong for a year because of that (yay!?). This also happened in the last movie with Cheelye, by the way. When I thought we got rid of Muten Roshi's horrible character, I now have to put up with the camera?
Is that the price we pay for her to be the only one to get screentime? In Movie 14, she was the focus as it was her birthday; in Movie 15, she was there to see the battle; in Movie 1, she was there to see the battle; now she's here to see the battle. When will Chi-Chi and Videl get to see the battles (the latter participate too, thank you) as well? Why this focus on Bulma alone?

I think Gohan should have reacted to Piccolo transforming into Ultimate, but oh well. Anyway, I stand by what I said earlier. In general, a good movie. Almost right up there with Movie 14 and better than the other two ones.

(Gohan gets to beat another main villain, but not Vegeta. Take that, fans of the deuteragonist of this franchise! :twisted:).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:43 pm

Out of all the modern DB films, this one has had the best theatre reactions so far. At my second viewing people were cheering during the transformation scenes. This past week I’ve been looking at reactions online and it’s reminding me of the Goku vs Jiren screenings at Mexico.

Now that I think about it, there are so many moments in this film that gave me chills. Even though one particular moment is obviously a callback to an iconic scene from the original series, I feel like the movie earned that callback with its writing and just how enjoyable it was to watch up to that build up. The more I think about this movie the more I love it.

As much as I adore DBS Broly, it never really gave me chills (with the exception of Goku leaving Planet Vegeta, but that was mostly because of the music). What made that film special was its visuals and just how hype it was. The first couple of acts did a great job of building up to the massive fight that would unfold. Broly was also a very compelling character that you felt sorry for.

I love that they did something completely different this time. They didn’t try to do Broly but bigger. It’s a totally different film with a different animation style, different tone, different themes and different lead characters. I felt like I was watching an arc that took place during Toriyama’s manga. I loved all the character choices, the humour and developments for characters like Gohan.

It does stumble in a few places. The opening with Dr Hedo and Magenta did feel a few minutes too long. The stuff on Beerus’ planet, while enjoyable, didn’t really have anything to do with the main story besides explain why they couldn’t help out at Earth. The film does revisit story beats that we’ve already seen a few times in the series, however this does it better than all those other times. I would’ve like to see more stuff with Pan and Gohan, more scenes with the Gammas and maybe some kind of explanation for that last transformation.

I gave the film an 8/10 the first time I saw it. But after watching it again and having more time to think about it, it’s now feeling like a 9/10. The character writing, set pieces, dramatic scenes, humour and willingness to embrace just how silly this series is makes it one of my favourite films in the series. It’s pure Dragon Ball.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:01 am

Another interesting dub thing: when Pan asks Piccolo about learning energy blasts, she mentions the “kikoho.” I know that phrase just translates to “ki blast cannon” or something generic, but it’s better known as the name for Tenshinhan’s signature move which has only ever been localised as “tri beam.”
Last edited by Kataphrut on Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:40 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:17 am
batistabus wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:21 pmShenlong calls him Lord Piccolo (Piccolo-Sama). Not Daimao (who killed Shenlong), not Kami-Sama (who created him?), but Lord Piccolo. He has a reverence for this version of Piccolo. Maybe it's because Piccolo was God, maybe it's because Piccolo is the strongest Warrior-type Namekian, or maybe it's because of Piccolo's individual character.
I think the implication is clear: it's because Kami is part of Piccolo. The reverence he had for Kami is passed down to Piccolo. You could say that he inherited the connection/relationship between Kami and Shenlong.
Yeah and I assume the reason why Shenlong gave him a second power up as present was because of his Kami side too.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:43 pm I gave the film an 8/10 the first time I saw it. But after watching it again and having more time to think about it, it’s now feeling like a 9/10. The character writing, set pieces, dramatic scenes, humour and willingness to embrace just how silly this series is makes it one of my favourite films in the series. It’s pure Dragon Ball.
Its one of those movies that gets better the more you rewatch it. I also liked it even more in my second time.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:57 am

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:01 am Another interesting dub thing: when Pan asks Piccolo about learning energy blasts, she mentions the “kikoho.” I know that phrase just translates to “ki blast cannon” or something generic, but it’s better known as the name for Tenshinhan’s signature move which has only ever been localised as “tri beam.”
In Japanese (and funnily enough, in the Portuguese dub as well) she uses Kikoha, which just means Energy Wave. Nothing special there, but it was Kid Trunks' signature move in the SNES-PS1 era of games before Dimps came up with the name "Double Buster".
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:13 am

good morning fellas i watched the movie earlier and lets just say i now have omega brainrot for the gammas and dr. hedo >: 3 idk if i should spoiler some things here but i will for now just in case theres ppl who still havent seen the movie kinda
so yes i am going to go berserk in this thread dont mind me and yes i will be using autistic lingo in here /lighthearted

i wasnt too keen on gamma 1 and 2's designs when i first saw them, but now that i see their comic book gimmicks, have heard their voices and seen how they're animated.. i fucking LOVE them so much and man the
scene fucked me up! :' D they really remind me of sharks in a good way so uhhh watch out world i'm shifting into maximum furry fan overdrive and I'm going to give them shark tails and teeth /lh

i also love how hedo just is neutral evil but hes way more neutral than evil.. like yo the dude just wants to eat his oreos, hyperfixate (yes i may be already having autistic headcanons because hehehe redemption arc dork guy whos a bit chubby and blatantly has a hyperfixation in biological and cyborg engineering AND COMIC BOOK SUPERHEROES? and yeah he does have trouble expressing his emotions a bit? yes you scream autistic to me /positive) about his dorky ass superhero cyborg ocs and chill?? and the fact that yea he does have a moral compass because he was misunderstood and disagreed on multiple things, like
and all? cheers i fucking drink to that too bro so yes he is definitely a new comfort character for me, along with gamma 1 and 2

i'm so GLAD they brought back the
form back and also the new piccolo and gohan forms are interesting to say the least : o gohans looks a bit goofy with the hair but i
same goes with piccolo but the colours picked there look pretty cool

I'M GLAD MY BOYS GOTENKS CAME BACK (AND GOTEN AND TRUNKS IN THIS MOVIE ARE SO FUCKING CUTE...) and we actually got a good use for the
so that was like 👀 and then theres the entire
i wanna hug pan btw shes such a good kid 🥺 LIKE WHEN SHE
shes such a cutie i cant wait to see her grow up more if they do like a retcon remake kinda thing of gt and we see her and bra doing things together... (press x to doubt but listen a trans man can dream lol)

OH YEA AND THE SCENES ON BEERUS'S PLANET WERE SUPER FUNNY AND I'M SO HAPPY
i'm glad beerus is the same also i love this dorky food loving cat god hsfuhudfgu
so yea overall.. would i recommend you watch dragon ball super: super hero? yes, fuck yes. its such a good and fun movie and the cgi actually worked out pretty well tbh
it isnt perfect by any means but there were some moments where i thought i was legit looking at 2d animation so that should say something : 3 i cant wait to rewatch it when it comes out on streaming services in high quality!!
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Slangh » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:30 pm

I was sceptical about this film after seeing some leaks about the plot, which made it seem like a rehash. I was also disappointed by the switch to 3D after a stellar 2D animated film which far surpassed its recent predecessors. But I was still drawn by the slice of life aspects of it. Watching the trailers multiple times, I saw that on its own, the 3D didn't look bad at all. Quite good, even. There were nice colors, good expressions and awesome environments. So I went anyway.

The film was way better than I expected in all sorts of ways. The 3D wasn't just good, it was amazing. Especially since the characters still had good expressions, owing to highly deformable rigs. The characters moved in ways never seen before, with more subtle movements which is always an upside to 3D. The clothes were still too static though, especially when looking at baggy pants which had the same folds all the time. But everything else was great. Crisp auras, explosions and other effects, they which were all balanced well. Lots of things going on without making it too busy to follow.

Even though the film did reuse some old story beats and obligated DB tropes, they were still executed in a fresh way. Gohan's first SSJ transformation in the film for example, had some real weight and threat to it.

Masako Nozawa never ceases to amaze me performing the Son characters. That woman is a powerhouse.
We see Piccolo's house for the first time and him interacting with modern technology. It's funny to see him holding a smartphone in such a clumsy way, with Bulma getting the weird closeups during video calls. Really well executed and life-like, taking advantage of the 3D. We see Pan training under Piccolo and going to kindergarten, even her teacher. Videl apparently has her own dojo and tries to appease Piccolo with stuffed animals for taking care of Pan. Piccolo berates Gohan for not picking up his own daughter... These were the reason I went to see this film, but it turned out everything else was at least as enjoyable.

Magenta believing there's a massive conspiracy threatening to take over the world, while it is hilarious, kinda ties into current world events. He even has a point, since not all damage caused by the Dragon Team's fights has been addressed. Gotta love his ranking of the Dragon Team.
Some weird things:

Piccolo said he recognized the RRA logo from Kami's memory. Why? He saw #19's en #20's logos for himself!

Goku acts dumb about Vegeta's meditation, even though he's seen meditating while training under Mr. Popo, while he was in the ROSAT with Gohan and before coming to Earth in the Buu saga.

Thank you, goodnight

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:51 am

https://youtu.be/NavEcSwkeGA

Sony India sent in a lady host who kept calling it Dragon Ball Z. 🤦
The world is your's.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:02 am

Just saw this today, and I have to say that, while not my favourite film ever, or even this year, I have a pretty good time watching it in the cinema. Perhaps that tempered reaction came from my excitement from the weeks or months of anticipation, especially since the US got it earlier than us and they started talking about it (grr!). The animation is honestly stunning and look clean and I'm so glad that it grew on me quickly. Admittedly, the story is not super original and the beginning exposition dragged on more than I'd like. The new characters were pretty fun at best and fine at worst, with Gamma 2 giving me a great impression (probably by design). Some of the new concepts introduced, without spoiling, were a mixed bag though. Some were fine, but most felt kind of tacked on. It never bothered me to a boiling point, though, so I guess it didn't exactly hurt my experience either, weirdly enough.

Spoiler talk:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:35 am

It's actually heart warming and wonderful, how the perception of the movie changed from complete dissaster and people having fear of unknown, to people actually liking the movie.

I was going back and forth with the movie, still waiting for official digital release, but I must say, that I really like it. I am less enthusiastic about the Beast Gohan and Cell Max, but it is actually Movie 11 done right... Heck, it is actually a Z movie in a sense, done right.

I can understand that some people are letdown, as Dragon Ball is again in hibernation, after being on TV after a decade (in Japan) for a decade and we waited for a movie for almost 4 years.
But I like the movie way more than Ressurection F, which made me hype for the secondary cast, that was basically fighting just Freeza Force cannon fodder (albeit with beautiful choreography).

I would love for Goten and Trunks be more their Z selves before their major EOZ slack-off, they can't even turn SSJ for god sakes. But I guess, that the same with Gohan, who could at least pull of SSJ when slacking, it makes kind of a sense to not be able go even SSJ when you are not training. People always took Gohan's unlock as granted and permanent power-up, that he would basically be a super warrior even when sitting and drinking beer for next 20 years, which I think is a nonsense and DB still clearly holds the formula of being a top fighter means that you have to really strive for it, actively and with non-stop training to reap the benefits. Even Golden Freeza got his ass kicked for hasting his progress and not really taking time to control his new form.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:30 am

Throwback to the one time everyone got mad of the film crew phoning in on the detail in the umbrella.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm

I created a thread but it got closed since it belongs here, so I will copy what I wrote in the thread.

I would like to hear members opinion what they think of Goten and Trunks in the movie.

In my opinion I think they were written and drawn good, they finally look and act like teenagers. We got to see them fight and no one forbid them at all, which is a huge upgrade.

They fused but their fusion failed and resulted in Fat Gotenks, I enjoy his appearance in the movie. Seeing him joke around and fight was funny.
Fat Gotenks is the first failed fusion in canon to have powers to fight.

It is too bad we didn't see a perfect fusion of Gotenks, maybe in another movie we might see it.

Overall I am happy with how Goten and Trunks were written, along with Gotenks.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:58 pm

I really like Goten's and Trunks' new designs. If they were going to do the failed fusion joke for the millionth time, I'm glad it had the twist of ending up useful somehow. Aside from that, I didn't get too excited about their presence.

I'm interested to see a potential follow-up to Hedo working at Capsule Corp. In the Future Trunks arc of the manga, Pilaf was essentially an intern for CC as well; it would be fun to see those two clash. Speaking of which, if Pilaf's gang has also aged a bit, would that essentially put them at their ages from the beginning of the DB manga? Maybe slightly younger?

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:29 pm

I know this movie was more light hearted but did anyone think Gohan was a little goofy(in a bad way) in this movie? I thought the gag of him dropping the Senzu Bean was funny but some of his other comedic scenes didn't hit for me. Super Saiyan-ant was funny as well. Lastly I really hope this the last time Gohan goes through the "I stopped training" arc. Yeah he said he trained in secret but I don't know...I just don't like characters making the same mistake over and over again. Overall I did enjoy his role in this movie though.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key