Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sat May 22, 2021 1:57 am

This will be the one and only response I make on this subject. I will not be responding to any more replies, as I refuse to be dragged into yet another fruitless, unending internet debate. This is merely to clarify/expand upon the intent of my prior comment.

---

You never explicitly mentioned the word "canon", no. However, when you keep making remarks like:
There’s really nothing suggesting that the anime will adapt the manga if it returns.
People keep saying that yet Toriyama made literally no designs, not even for Granolah. Nor is the arc acknowledged to exist anywhere.
it’s odd that the latest story arc is Toriyama drafted yet Toriyama literally did no designs even for the main characters despite him doing so in every story arc in Super nor does it get any major advisement for being Toriyama’s work unlike everything Toriyama ever breaths on.
outside of small snippets, the manga barely exists.
What exactly are you expecting readers to get out of it? You never say the word "non-canon" or "illegitimate", but you use every other word and description there is to imply that it is. None of these comments you've made are labels or descriptions you give a piece of accepted, legitimate or canonical material. You're casting as much doubt as humanly possible on the idea. You say that there's nothing suggesting that the anime will adapt the manga going forward, but then where would that leave the manga exactly? If it apparently isn't being acknowledged by anyone of import, hardly exists, barely has Toriyama's involvement and likely won't be adapted into the anime, that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of canonicity now does it?

If you're not trying to imply that the manga's current (or previous) arc isn't valid/canon, then what exactly are you getting at? If all these dismissive remarks aren't intended to imply a lack of validity, then what are they for? What is the point you're trying to make?
I follow Herms and read the original translation.
Then you'd have no reason to cast doubt on Toriyama's involvement in this latest manga arc and have absolutely no reason to be debating others on the level of said involvement. Yet despite this, you've been actively arguing against this very notion on the last couple pages. Odd that you'd acknowledge having read the interview that confirms Toriyama's direct involvement and then still go about contradicting the idea anyway... That is, unless, you don't believe Toriyama is very involved in the creation of this arc and that the interview is somehow untruthful in some way. But then, how would you know that? What reason would you have to intentionally cast doubt on the interview unless you thought you knew better?
Even weirder that I haven’t talked about the manga in months, yet you act like I regularly do.
What's really weird is that you act like just because you haven't talked about it in a while, that means any prior comments you made on the subject no longer apply. It doesn't matter how long you've been away - the second you came back, you picked up exactly where you left off. Making the same dismissive remarks about the same subjects in the same ways you always have. It's not like anything has changed. Your comments aren't made in a vacuum. Everyone has patterns, tendencies and habits. Over time, others will naturally pick up on and remember those habits. Just because you haven't said anything for a while. doesn't mean everyone will just forget the past. You've been a vocal detractor of the manga for ages, I'm not going to disregard that valuable context in light of you're most recent comments. That context helps inform your typical agendas and biases.
If you had no intention of a conversation, then why did you even respond?
Because I already know you aren't going to change your mind. If after all this time and all the arguments you've had on the subject over the years haven't changed your mind, what hope do I have? If anything, my comment was less for you and more for other readers following this thread. You're making claims that don't quite match up with reality and I'd hate for others to get the wrong idea about things. And hey, if by some miracle you decided to change your mind on the matter while I'm at it, then that'd be a bonus.

You stated and/or implied several falsehoods with your comments and I wanted to refute them. No more, no less.

---

"Implying that Toriyama is barely involved in the creation of this arc."

Yes he is. Demonstratively so. We have irrefutable stalemates from an official source. According to those statements, he is even indicated to be even more heavily involved in the drafting of this arc than usual.

"The manga receives no advertising or "hype" for its material/the manga barely exists or is acknowledged by official sources."

Incorrect. The manga has heaps of "hype" built up through V-Jump cover art, creator interviews, drafts uploaded to the official website in order to build anticipation and each new chapter receives a specifically crafted hype trailer every month. We've even been told in a separate interview that the lack of merch and videogame tie-ins is due to a lack of an animated adaptation - as is the industry standard for nearly every other manga/anime franchise that has ever existed, with only very very rare exceptions to the contrary.
basically call me an idiot, then act like you’re taking the higher ground.
I never called you an idiot. If anything, I was saying you're far too apathetic or stubborn to talk about the subject material in good faith. As for moral high ground, I claim no such thing. There's no morality in disputing ill-founded discussion. An actively derogatory and dismissive attitude is certainly no fertile breeding ground for good faith discourse. Your marked distaste for the material in question and subsequent arguments against its legitimacy, coupled with a history of such unflattering commentary leads me to believe you'd be inclined to argue in bad faith regarding the DBS manga and whatever future it may have with the rest of the series going forward. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I wasn’t even talking to you
Anyone can talk to anyone at any time for any reason. No one needs your permission in order to talk to you. Acting as if choosing to engage with you uninvited is unnatural or offensive in any way is baffling. Posts and replies are the literal backbone of online discourse. You have most certainly responded to other users' comments unprovoked without invitation - as has literally anyone else on the internet. Why get bent out of shape if I do the same? Your prior debate is not a closed private loop. Anyone is allowed to engage with it at any time. This is not unusual. You've surely done the same dozens of times.

As I've said, I don't harbor any foolish illusions of any of this changing your mind. I'm only responding for the sake of clarity. I don't really care if you continue believing what you believe. It doesn't matter. Anyone else can read this exchange and come to their own conclusions. These comments are mainly for the sake of general reader discourse or to act as a platform for others to make their own points. Whoever they affect in the end is up to the individual.

---

As a semi-related aside, if anyone else reading is wondering:
If I seem bitter, it's because the fandom has made me so. The day in, day out never-ending influx of misinformation, egotism, dismissiveness, hatred, selfishness, hypocrisy and arrogance often leaves me very frustrated with this fandom. If I seem short with people, it's for these reasons. Naturally, I don't try to make a habit of it by any means, but if something rankles my fur, I'm gonna address it. I do love this franchise and I'm always going to stick around and observe all the goings on, regardless of whether or not I choose to actively engage.

Frankly, I have little patience for beating around the bush these days, especially with such an often deliberately obtuse fanbase. So if I come off as a little abrasive, forgive me. I just want to get straight to the point and make sure that I make said point in no uncertain terms. I have no interest in the constant multi-page bickering wars and thus, will not pursue them. I will make my point (with perhaps one or two clarifying follow-ups) and bow out. I simply do not have the energy for anything more.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat May 22, 2021 8:59 am

ZombieVito wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:52 pm
HeroR wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:16 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 am
And? The arc was still drafted by him.
When was the last time Toriyama drafted a story, but did literally no character designs? Or when was the last time Toriyama drafted a script that wasn’t hype everywhere?
But the arc hasn't been animated yet. Why hype it?
It being animated doesn't matter. Japan in general don't care about spoilers and most read manga over watching an anime (anime for the most part is considered for kids). Which is how you get merch from MHA's arcs from the manga before it reaches the anime, same with AOT and One Piece. Especially when the anime hasn't been schedule to return and even if it was they're not going to wait two years, assuming the anime comes back in 2022, to make money off of new a Toriyama created story.

So even if it's a manga, a story arc created by Toriyama would bring up in ton of hype and new merch. And yet, it's treated no differently than the Moro arc.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat May 22, 2021 10:15 am

Rebel Instinct wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:57 am This will be the one and only response I make on this subject. I will not be responding to any more replies, as I refuse to be dragged into yet another fruitless, unending internet debate. This is merely to clarify/expand upon the intent of my prior comment.

---

You never explicitly mentioned the word "canon", no. However, when you keep making remarks like:
There’s really nothing suggesting that the anime will adapt the manga if it returns.
People keep saying that yet Toriyama made literally no designs, not even for Granolah. Nor is the arc acknowledged to exist anywhere.
it’s odd that the latest story arc is Toriyama drafted yet Toriyama literally did no designs even for the main characters despite him doing so in every story arc in Super nor does it get any major advisement for being Toriyama’s work unlike everything Toriyama ever breaths on.
outside of small snippets, the manga barely exists.
What exactly are you expecting readers to get out of it? You never say the word "non-canon" or "illegitimate", but you use every other word and description there is to imply that it is. None of these comments you've made are labels or descriptions you give a piece of accepted, legitimate or canonical material. You're casting as much doubt as humanly possible on the idea. You say that there's nothing suggesting that the anime will adapt the manga going forward, but then where would that leave the manga exactly? If it apparently isn't being acknowledged by anyone of import, hardly exists, barely has Toriyama's involvement and likely won't be adapted into the anime, that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of canonicity now does it?

If you're not trying to imply that the manga's current (or previous) arc isn't valid/canon, then what exactly are you getting at? If all these dismissive remarks aren't intended to imply a lack of validity, then what are they for? What is the point you're trying to make?
I follow Herms and read the original translation.
Then you'd have no reason to cast doubt on Toriyama's involvement in this latest manga arc and have absolutely no reason to be debating others on the level of said involvement. Yet despite this, you've been actively arguing against this very notion on the last couple pages. Odd that you'd acknowledge having read the interview that confirms Toriyama's direct involvement and then still go about contradicting the idea anyway... That is, unless, you don't believe Toriyama is very involved in the creation of this arc and that the interview is somehow untruthful in some way. But then, how would you know that? What reason would you have to intentionally cast doubt on the interview unless you thought you knew better?
Even weirder that I haven’t talked about the manga in months, yet you act like I regularly do.
What's really weird is that you act like just because you haven't talked about it in a while, that means any prior comments you made on the subject no longer apply. It doesn't matter how long you've been away - the second you came back, you picked up exactly where you left off. Making the same dismissive remarks about the same subjects in the same ways you always have. It's not like anything has changed. Your comments aren't made in a vacuum. Everyone has patterns, tendencies and habits. Over time, others will naturally pick up on and remember those habits. Just because you haven't said anything for a while. doesn't mean everyone will just forget the past. You've been a vocal detractor of the manga for ages, I'm not going to disregard that valuable context in light of you're most recent comments. That context helps inform your typical agendas and biases.
If you had no intention of a conversation, then why did you even respond?
Because I already know you aren't going to change your mind. If after all this time and all the arguments you've had on the subject over the years haven't changed your mind, what hope do I have? If anything, my comment was less for you and more for other readers following this thread. You're making claims that don't quite match up with reality and I'd hate for others to get the wrong idea about things. And hey, if by some miracle you decided to change your mind on the matter while I'm at it, then that'd be a bonus.

You stated and/or implied several falsehoods with your comments and I wanted to refute them. No more, no less.

---

"Implying that Toriyama is barely involved in the creation of this arc."

Yes he is. Demonstratively so. We have irrefutable stalemates from an official source. According to those statements, he is even indicated to be even more heavily involved in the drafting of this arc than usual.

"The manga receives no advertising or "hype" for its material/the manga barely exists or is acknowledged by official sources."

Incorrect. The manga has heaps of "hype" built up through V-Jump cover art, creator interviews, drafts uploaded to the official website in order to build anticipation and each new chapter receives a specifically crafted hype trailer every month. We've even been told in a separate interview that the lack of merch and videogame tie-ins is due to a lack of an animated adaptation - as is the industry standard for nearly every other manga/anime franchise that has ever existed, with only very very rare exceptions to the contrary.
basically call me an idiot, then act like you’re taking the higher ground.
I never called you an idiot. If anything, I was saying you're far too apathetic or stubborn to talk about the subject material in good faith. As for moral high ground, I claim no such thing. There's no morality in disputing ill-founded discussion. An actively derogatory and dismissive attitude is certainly no fertile breeding ground for good faith discourse. Your marked distaste for the material in question and subsequent arguments against its legitimacy, coupled with a history of such unflattering commentary leads me to believe you'd be inclined to argue in bad faith regarding the DBS manga and whatever future it may have with the rest of the series going forward. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I wasn’t even talking to you
Anyone can talk to anyone at any time for any reason. No one needs your permission in order to talk to you. Acting as if choosing to engage with you uninvited is unnatural or offensive in any way is baffling. Posts and replies are the literal backbone of online discourse. You have most certainly responded to other users' comments unprovoked without invitation - as has literally anyone else on the internet. Why get bent out of shape if I do the same? Your prior debate is not a closed private loop. Anyone is allowed to engage with it at any time. This is not unusual. You've surely done the same dozens of times.

As I've said, I don't harbor any foolish illusions of any of this changing your mind. I'm only responding for the sake of clarity. I don't really care if you continue believing what you believe. It doesn't matter. Anyone else can read this exchange and come to their own conclusions. These comments are mainly for the sake of general reader discourse or to act as a platform for others to make their own points. Whoever they affect in the end is up to the individual.

---

As a semi-related aside, if anyone else reading is wondering:
If I seem bitter, it's because the fandom has made me so. The day in, day out never-ending influx of misinformation, egotism, dismissiveness, hatred, selfishness, hypocrisy and arrogance often leaves me very frustrated with this fandom. If I seem short with people, it's for these reasons. Naturally, I don't try to make a habit of it by any means, but if something rankles my fur, I'm gonna address it. I do love this franchise and I'm always going to stick around and observe all the goings on, regardless of whether or not I choose to actively engage.

Frankly, I have little patience for beating around the bush these days, especially with such an often deliberately obtuse fanbase. So if I come off as a little abrasive, forgive me. I just want to get straight to the point and make sure that I make said point in no uncertain terms. I have no interest in the constant multi-page bickering wars and thus, will not pursue them. I will make my point (with perhaps one or two clarifying follow-ups) and bow out. I simply do not have the energy for anything more.
You say this as you say you wouldn't response before, but okay.

That has nothing to do with 'canon'. That has to do that isn't really odd that an arc is stated be drafted by Toriyama, yet no one can answer why he didn't do any designs not even for Granola when every previous antagonist was created by Toriyama. That and the lack of advisement and merch for a Toriyama created anything is really odd. People keep saying 'they're waiting for the anime' but that makes little sense. Japan is far more manga-centric than anime-centric, so they're not going to wait several years to start making money off a Toriyama's creation for an anime that hasn't been schedule to return. Even if it's small stuff like putting characters in Dragon Ball Heroes or Dokkan.

I don't know where the manga is since the manga because it's almost never acknowledge to exist. Nothing from Moro has ever got acknowledged anywhere, not even Dragon Ball Heroes which is basically official fanfiction and there doesn't appear to be anything related to Moro coming out despite the arc being finish and the Japanese general apathetic towards spoilers if they were concern about the anime. And even if we ignore the Moro stuff, the manga only gets subtile nods like Haki Goku and Roshi being acknowledge by Jiren. They won't even do something simple like Super Saiyan Black and when Broly was coming out, they claimed this was the first time Vegeta was using Super Saiyan God despite him having Super Saiyan God in the manga for years. So for an official continuation after the anime ended, they are choosing not to make any money off of it outside of the manga sells itself. Which makes little sense since manga sells has never been the life blood of Dragon Ball and it isn't like the Super manga sell gangbusters. So far, most of Super's sells are coming from them mooching off the anime.

Toriyama has always been involved in the manga, so that is nothing new. Even Moro has some of his input like Merus being angel. And that isn't what I debated. I literally said 'isn't it odd that Toriyama drafted a story, yet he did no character designs and the general lack of hype around the project compared to everything else with Toriyama's name on it'. Which is again something no one can seem to answer.

Do I believe Toriyama is very involved, well he isn't involved enough to make character designs, that's for sure. Which is strange considering he did minor stuff like creating a character Dragon Ball Legends, FighterZ, and Kakarot, yet he couldn't be bother to design Granola.

If you know I wasn't going to change my mind, why did come into a conversation that you weren't even a part of and was honestly very civil? And over the years? I am almost certain that I barely reply to you and I tend to remember people I get into long debates with. So do you mean you read my posts with others? Which is odd since I barely talk about the manga outside of the writing.

What falsehoods? I literally stated we don't know if the anime will adapt the manga, which no one knows. I stated Toriyama didn't do any character designs for the latest arc, which is also true. I stated that this arc didn't get much hype, which you can debate, but compared to other Toriyama involved stuff Granola only got about as much as Moro. For reference, the vast majority of Dragon Ball fans don't know what is happening in the manga because they don't follow it or know it exists, and the manga isn't super popular in Japan either. You're the one who assumed that I said 'Toriyama has no involved with the manga' which wasn't what I said.

More involved than usual and still no character designs when even his more handoffs offering has designs.

"he manga has heaps of "hype" built up through V-Jump cover art, creator interviews, drafts uploaded to the official website in order to build anticipation and each new chapter receives a specifically crafted hype trailer every month."

Which is.....no different from the last arc that had little Toriyama input. It's actually got less since it wasn't part of Jump Fest while Moro got acknowledged. And most of that doesn't reach outside of the small sphere of people who follow the manga, which isn't a super big audience. So a Toriyama story really didn't get anything more massive than the last arc. Which is an issue in Japan since a lot of Dragon Ball fans don't read the manga since, according with people familiar on the subject, they see the Super manga as Toyo's Dragon Ball.

"We've even been told in a separate interview that the lack of merch and videogame tie-ins is due to a lack of an animated adaptation "

That is speculation since there has been nothing official stating that is the case. And it makes no sense to leave literal money on the table for an anime that hasn't been announced to return and the best outcome is 2022. And these are some of the same people who claimed Super wasn't returning because of the One Piece movie, but had to walk that back when the movie wrapped up and no Super anime announcement. There is also the whole 'the Super anime is coming back in 2019' that left a bunch of people with egg on their faces.

" as is the industry standard for nearly every other manga/anime franchise that has ever existed, with only very very rare exceptions to the contrary."

It isn't the standard outside of ongoing anime, which Dragon Ball Super isn't. The Super anime has been dominate for over three years and it will probably be another two years before an anime happened. They're not going to waste years of money with something with Toriyama's name on it because of anime that people keep saying will return.

I am too apathetic or stubborn to talk about the subject material in good faith based on me pointing out the lack of advisement and Toriyama's character designs. I guess?

"Your marked distaste for the material in question and subsequent arguments against its legitimacy"

Which is kinda funny when I literally never gave my opinion on the latest manga arc, but go on assuming. And not sure how saying the anime may not adapt the manga is an argument of 'legitimacy' because so what if it doesn't? It like the Super manga ceases to exists if the anime chose not to adapt it. The manga will have it fans, like you, so why do you even care?

"bad faith regarding the DBS manga and whatever future it may have with the rest of the series going forward. Correct me if I'm wrong."

Why should I correct you since you already made assumptions on what I'm thinking? For the most part, I don't care about the manga and that has to do with the writing, pacing, and art, not canon or how much Toriyama is doing behind the scenes. Even if it was all Toriyama's created, my opinion about the quality of the manga isn't going change because Toyo is a mediocre writer who can't draw bodies properly even after all these years on top of most of the fights being dull, and the editor doesn't do their job.

"Anyone can talk to anyone at any time for any reason."

True, but you literally came into a discussion in question, accused me of all sorts of stuff, and then went 'I'm not talking anymore to you'. So it was a big, then why did you even respond? I see discussions all the time I don't agree with, but I don't jump in unless I plan to debate instead of 'make statement claiming the poster is dishonest and then leave'.

"You have most certainly responded to other users' comments unprovoked without invitation"

And which I have never once said, "I'm not about to continue bickering about this like a child with you (or anyone else), so I'm ending this here. I know better than to try to have a conversation with you on this subject. It's been literal years now and I'll have no part in continuously failing to change your already made up mind. So, have at it. Do as you please."

I entered a debate to have a discussion. You didn't in your original post. You basically tried to pull a hit and run with accusing me of not knowing stuff, being dishonest, and me trying to argue canon when the only thing I said was: there is nothing to point to the anime adapting the manga, which is completely true because the manga almost never gets acknowledge, Toriyama did no character designs for an arc that he supposedly heavily involved in when he did character designs when he did designs for every Super project up to this point, and the general lack of merch along with hype. The statement that 'they're waiting for the anime' makes little sense when the anime isn't ongoing and has been off the air for going over three years, hasn't been announce to make a return and doesn't seem to be something that will happened in the near future since Toei is busy with the projects, if it does come out 'soon' it won't happen for another year which is over a year worth of merch that they will be missing out on since there is no new stuff to supplement the wait, and the people saying this were the mostly the same ones who claimed that he anime was coming back in 2019 and then blamed the One Piece movie when it didn't.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat May 22, 2021 3:39 pm

Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:30 pm

Sooner than expected! Good to hear :D

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat May 22, 2021 5:34 pm

Oh wow, I feel like, if it's this soon, the marketing is a bit faster than Broly's was. I almost wonder if this might be an early 2022 release, rather than, say, the summer, if they're revealing a title and details at this point.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:39 pm https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1396145907628863489
Are they going to reveal it soon?
The Twitter post isn't available anymore. What did it say?

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:45 am

sangofe wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:39 pm https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1396145907628863489
Are they going to reveal it soon?
The Twitter post isn't available anymore. What did it say?
This

https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/1396 ... 17/photo/1

but it seems to be incorrect

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Oh boy, the misinformation has started to roll in.
Keep your eyes peeled, folks.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 am

People forgot how to behave when their expectations aren't met. This manga debate is a good example of people pretending a product they don't like can't be a success.

"If I don't like something it simply can't be official, it can't be animated and you're wrong if you think it has a future!"

This situation happens in life and I hope you guys are ready for people not meeting your expectations. Will you treat them as you treated Star Wars? Toyotaro's manga? Justice League? You can't deny people or media into oblivion, they'll still be real as they are.

My point is, many seem to prefer using hate and denial to express their feelings intead of using logic and kindness towards others. I've been on this forum for years now and I lost count of how many times I chose not to post anything thanks to raging people who have nothing good to say, ever.

We need to learn how to interact with reality despite our fantasies and projections.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon May 24, 2021 9:35 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 am People forgot how to behave when their expectations aren't met. This manga debate is a good example of people pretending a product they don't like can't be a success.

"If I don't like something it simply can't be official, it can't be animated and you're wrong if you think it has a future!"

This situation happens in life and I hope you guys are ready for people not meeting your expectations. Will you treat them as you treated Star Wars? Toyotaro's manga? Justice League? You can't deny people or media into oblivion, they'll still be real as they are.

My point is, many seem to prefer using hate and denial to express their feelings intead of using logic and kindness towards others. I've been on this forum for years now and I lost count of how many times I chose not to post anything thanks to raging people who have nothing good to say, ever.

We need to learn how to interact with reality despite our fantasies and projections.

DB used to have a very clearly defined source material with a very clearly defined author.
This is no longer the case since the revival.
There are different iterations of the story, which simply diverge too much to speak of a consistent and clearly defined canon (although technically speaking all continuities could still be called "canon" because it's all official continuity with some degree of Toriyamas involvement).
And there are too many co-authors involved (Toyotaro, TOEI staff) who define more detailed story outlets.

In my opinion there is no reason to deny the current manga arcs, as they are a part of the official continuation.
And acknowledged that way by Toriyama.
There is no such things as "canon filler"in that regard.
But as Super or the revival didn't have a clear source material outside of Toriyamas outlines from start, it's far from clear we will get a faithful "manga adaptation" (if the anime were ever to return) either.

If there is a 'most authentic version of the revival story according to the original author', it's the movie continuity.
As this has most of Toriyamas involvement, as we know.
But as a continuity it's far to limited to enable descent story analysis.
We need movie, anime and manga continuities to form a complete though inconsistent picture of the ongoing story.

This divergence between storylines is sometimes being used by people who prefer the anime or manga to declear their continuity to be " the most authentic version of things".
That is of course wrong. We should try to discuss on "objective standards".
They don't really exist, those standards, but we should at least try to pursue them as much as possible.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 29, 2021 4:27 pm

HeroR wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pmThere’s really nothing suggesting that the anime will adapt the manga if it returns.
My thoughts exactly. I don't know why people has this foolish expectation that Toei will adapt Toyotaro stories. The anime and the manga are clearly different products, one is the main and the other started being promotional to then later being its own thing. I believe when the anime returns we might get a new story after Broly and not Moro or not even Granola.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sat May 29, 2021 7:47 pm

Noah wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:27 pm
HeroR wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pmThere’s really nothing suggesting that the anime will adapt the manga if it returns.
My thoughts exactly. I don't know why people has this foolish expectation that Toei will adapt Toyotaro stories. The anime and the manga are clearly different products, one is the main and the other started being promotional to then later being its own thing. I believe when the anime returns we might get a new story after Broly and not Moro or not even Granola.
Right, they're the ones being foolish... :roll:

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat May 29, 2021 7:53 pm

The returning anime may not adapt the arcs that are in the manga. But, if that is the case, it will be because it skips ahead to continue after the latest movie or another point in time.

There's no way it's going to just create a brand new post-Broly continuity considering that the manga and anime, while having noticeable differences, are still essentially the same story with the same arcs so far (besides one finishing early). They're pretty comparable to the OG manga and anime in that sense, besides the fact that neither has more canonical weight.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:53 pm The returning anime may not adapt the arcs that are in the manga. But, if that is the case, it will be because it skips ahead to continue after the latest movie or another point in time.

There's no way it's going to just create a brand new post-Broly continuity considering that the manga and anime, while having noticeable differences, are still essentially the same story with the same arcs so far (besides one finishing early). They're pretty comparable to the OG manga and anime in that sense, besides the fact that neither has more canonical weight.
Not really since the original manga and anime of Dragon Ball were more or less the same outside of filler.

The Super manga and anime despite having the same arcs are quite different. Like Anime Black and Manga Black are not the same characters, Zamasu never even meet Goku in the manga, both use different Super Saiyan forms, Toppo acts different between the manga and anime, the Zen’o tournament before the TOP isn’t the same outside of Goku vs Toppo, the way Goku got UI and its presentation are different, especially UI Signs. They’re only similar in an outline sense while the original anime was more or less the manga in color.
Kanassa wrote:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat May 29, 2021 10:58 pm

Take your anime vs manga vomit out of the movie thread, I beg you. I keep seeing activity here and thinking that news about the movie has come out, only to find yet another post about the same old discussion you people have been circling around each other on for literally years. The anime vs manga fight isn't even relevant to the movie in any way! The initial post that brought up the manga was talking about the movie taking the manga continuity into account or not, which is relevant and a fair thing to wonder about, but by now you've managed to take that question and use it to pivot far away from the movie in order to start up another round of the same old song and dance. If the anime vs manga topic is still so important to you after all this time, then can't you at least make your own thread for it? Please?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sun May 30, 2021 2:35 am

Alruneia wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:58 pm Take your anime vs manga vomit out of the movie thread, I beg you. I keep seeing activity here and thinking that news about the movie has come out, only to find yet another post about the same old discussion you people have been circling around each other on for literally years. The anime vs manga fight isn't even relevant to the movie in any way! The initial post that brought up the manga was talking about the movie taking the manga continuity into account or not, which is relevant and a fair thing to wonder about, but by now you've managed to take that question and use it to pivot far away from the movie in order to start up another round of the same old song and dance. If the anime vs manga topic is still so important to you after all this time, then can't you at least make your own thread for it? Please?
I absolutely agree. I'm as sick to death of this asinine discussion as you are and I genuinely apologize for contributing to your headache with this thread. It makes me want to pull my hair out too and yet I still got suckered into talking about it again thanks to people insisting on bringing up the anime adaptation argument here. If this tired fruitless "discussion" must continue, take it somewhere more appropriate. Using the new movie as a platform only to reiterate for the umpteenth time the ill-conceived notion that the manga totally won't get an anime adaptation for *reasons* isn't a productive avenue for addressing the movie.

Once again, I apologize to people like Alruneia who just want to hear about the new movie for my hand in continuing to derail the point of the thread. Seeing people use the movie news just to make sneaky little jabs at whatever continuity they don't like just gets on my nerves.

As a means of recompense, I'll leave off with this hypothetical on the content of the new movie:
The new threat could be Android 21 and the unexpected character playing a major role could be a rebuilt Android 16.Toriyama supervised the creation of Android 21 and Dragon Ball FighterZ producer Tomoko Hiroki has said that though 21 was designed specifically for the game, she believes that if the character becomes popular and the fans want to see her in other games or anime, the possibility exists. Toriyama could be capitalizing on this and bringing the character into the mainline story for the new movie. While I don't necessarily believe this is what the movie will be about, it still may be a viable option. Thoughts?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun May 30, 2021 5:57 am

Rebel Instinct wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:35 am
As a means of recompense, I'll leave off with this hypothetical on the content of the new movie:
The new threat could be Android 21 and the unexpected character playing a major role could be a rebuilt Android 16.Toriyama supervised the creation of Android 21 and Dragon Ball FighterZ producer Tomoko Hiroki has said that though 21 was designed specifically for the game, she believes that if the character becomes popular and the fans want to see her in other games or anime, the possibility exists. Toriyama could be capitalizing on this and bringing the character into the mainline story for the new movie. While I don't necessarily believe this is what the movie will be about, it still may be a viable option. Thoughts?

When Broly came out, no one thought it was going to be just that. Everyone now thinks of Cooler because Toriyama refers to an (unexpected: what could be interpreted as 'already existing but not immediately expected in this movie') character. The franchise thinks fans are expecting Cooler too, so in that sense it shouldn't be a surprise anymore.
I'd rather see a completely new character, but I'm not totally against it either.
I would personally prefer Android 21 to Cooler if they chose an existing character.

Android 21 is:
- designed Toriyama, as you say, so as a games character acceptable to the fans within the main continuity
- new in the sense that no movie / manga / anime has been made with it yet
- is a character that combines elements of 2 main antagonists (Buu and Androids) that come up a lot in games, anime and manga to form a new character
- is a female antagonist for a change, which is refreshing (and generally well received by fans with Caulifla / Kale / Kefla)
- a standout character that may bring interesting interactions and fights

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 am

I always thought that Frieza acting curious with Gogeta explaining fusion was a hint that he would search out Cooler and train with him.

Then they look for the Saiyans and there is a 2v2 battle - Goku and Vegeta vs Frieza and Cooler. Goku and Vegeta fuse in order to end this, but to their surprise, Freeza and Cooler fuse too (enter exposition scene which explains that Frieza learned the fusion dance technique from some spave hermit before killing him or something).

A titanic battle begins between Gogeta and Furiler, which ends with Gogeta entering UI and knocking the fusion out of the two lizard aliens.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun May 30, 2021 8:15 am

Rebel Instinct wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:35 am As a means of recompense, I'll leave off with this hypothetical on the content of the new movie:
Entirely possible, though I'm not sure how much input Toriyama gave to ArcSys in developing her character. He may just see her as another job he had to design that he's already forgotten. I'd quite like to see a slightly altered version of her design and storyline reducing the creepy vore vibes of her video game self. I'm always down for more cyborg action though so hopefully there is something in store for her besides Kakarot and Heroes.
Nickolaidas wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 am I always thought that Frieza acting curious with Gogeta explaining fusion was a hint that he would search out Cooler and train with him.

Then they look for the Saiyans and there is a 2v2 battle - Goku and Vegeta vs Frieza and Cooler. Goku and Vegeta fuse in order to end this, but to their surprise, Freeza and Cooler fuse too (enter exposition scene which explains that Frieza learned the fusion dance technique from some spave hermit before killing him or something).

A titanic battle begins between Gogeta and Furiler, which ends with Gogeta entering UI and knocking the fusion out of the two lizard aliens.
I'm apathetic to the idea of Cooler returning but this could be an interesting usage of him.