Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am

You know what I'd like to see from this film? Asian Kung Fu Generation doing the main theme song for the film, or least, a song in this film in general. They're one of my favorite bands of all time, and seeing them make a Dragon Ball song would be like the greatest thing ever.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am You know what I'd like to see from this film? Asian Kung Fu Generation doing the main theme song for the film, or least, a song in this film in general. They're one of my favorite bands of all time, and seeing them make a Dragon Ball song would be like the greatest thing ever.
I would love to see that as well. They recently made a track for the latest My Hero Academia film. I love their songs from the original Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist and Erased. Great band.

I would also be down to hear another track from Daichi Miura. Blizzard was a banger.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:29 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 am
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am You know what I'd like to see from this film? Asian Kung Fu Generation doing the main theme song for the film, or least, a song in this film in general. They're one of my favorite bands of all time, and seeing them make a Dragon Ball song would be like the greatest thing ever.
I would love to see that as well. They recently made a track for the latest My Hero Academia film. I love their songs from the original Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist and Erased. Great band.

I would also be down to hear another track from Daichi Miura. Blizzard was a banger.
I'm much more of a Back-On band fan.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:29 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 am

I'm much more of a Back-On band fan.
They’re a great band too. I’d love it if they got a song in this film as well.
Caulifla best girl! :)

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:07 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:15 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:10 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm

The reason why those shows look as great as they do is because they have a top notch animation schedule and most of the ppl behind super & broly are working on it. My gripe is that they say they have no staff. You mean to tell me Toei can’t spare a couple of animators for 1 Dragonball movie yet the new Slam Dunk coming out around the same time is gonna be 2-d animated.
I don't think they're making it CG because they don't have animators to spare, but because they think this is a new and fresh style that people will like. I think they're wrong and would have preferred the same style animation from Broly, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it turns out nice.
You know i wish Iyoku/Shuiesha/Toei or whoever is running the Dragon ball franchise ship would try to keep their hands on the pulse of what the fandom would like to see not talking crazy crap like ssj4 blue goku & etc. I also hope this looks amazing but I'm cautiously optimistic at best.
But the problem with all that is...well fans don't always know what's best for anime. My argument that most fans who claim to know what's best for a franchise are mostly fucking idiots. No offense.

The reason why studios like Toei are embracing CG is because it's less arduous than having a bunch of animators draw literally every single thing. This is where the industry is going, and why even stuff like Demon Slayer and Jiujutsu Kaisen have increasingly use more and more CG. This is the future, guys.

cactus

Post by cactus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:20 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:07 pm
I don't think they're making it CG because they don't have animators to spare, but because they think this is a new and fresh style that people will like. I think they're wrong and would have preferred the same style animation from Broly, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it turns out nice.
You know i wish Iyoku/Shuiesha/Toei or whoever is running the Dragon ball franchise ship would try to keep their hands on the pulse of what the fandom would like to see not talking crazy crap like ssj4 blue goku & etc. I also hope this looks amazing but I'm cautiously optimistic at best.
But the problem with all that is...well fans don't always know what's best for anime. My argument that most fans who claim to know what's best for a franchise are mostly fucking idiots. No offense.

The reason why studios like Toei are embracing CG is because it's less arduous than having a bunch of animators draw literally every single thing. This is where the industry is going, and why even stuff like Demon Slayer and Jiujutsu Kaisen have increasingly use more and more CG. This is the future, guys.
I agree with this, some people are already going in panic mode and thinking CG = bad automatically. Lets see what the product looks like first. Hopefully we see some type of teaser at NYCC next week!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:36 am

Demon Slayer uses it mixed in 2d, though. It's not entirely 3D. I'd be fine with a mix like Demon Slayer does (note, I'm only at episode 18 of the TV series)

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:40 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:36 am

Demon Slayer uses it mixed in 2d, though. It's not entirely 3D. I'd be fine with a mix like Demon Slayer does (note, I'm only at episode 18 of the TV series)
Not to mention that the previous 3 DB films incorporated CGI, as well.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:53 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:36 am

As the technology gets better, I guarantee we start seeing anime ceding more and more towards CGI. Like the CG offerings on Netfix are getting better and better; something like Beastars is no longer going to be the exception to the rule: it will be just the rule.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:46 pm

Sure, all's good and dandi in terms of looking at the future at the ever changing technologies.
But then what's gonna happen with these people that don't wanna partake on this transition, eg, if Shida just didn't want to learn 3D stuff, for whatever reason, then would we feel as good about this transition to ALL 3D when we suddenly read articles about thousands of animators getting unemployed?

I'm maybe too apocalyptic about it, but there's a place for 3D, and for me Dragon Ball and a lot of other animes are not, even if the movie turns out to be good.

Like I don't get it, less than 2 years ago we were praising the talent of many old and new animators in the last movie, and now, like 90% of them will not be part of it, like it's going to be soo sad not to see a Shida, Takahashi, Higashide or even Shintani Section, just because of this transition to 3D doesn't allow for it.

I'm sorry but this is pretty terrible to me

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:34 am

cuartas wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:46 pm Sure, all's good and dandi in terms of looking at the future at the ever changing technologies.
But then what's gonna happen with these people that don't wanna partake on this transition, eg, if Shida just didn't want to learn 3D stuff, for whatever reason, then would we feel as good about this transition to ALL 3D when we suddenly read articles about thousands of animators getting unemployed?

I'm maybe too apocalyptic about it, but there's a place for 3D, and for me Dragon Ball and a lot of other animes are not, even if the movie turns out to be good.

Like I don't get it, less than 2 years ago we were praising the talent of many old and new animators in the last movie, and now, like 90% of them will not be part of it, like it's going to be soo sad not to see a Shida, Takahashi, Higashide or even Shintani Section, just because of this transition to 3D doesn't allow for it.

I'm sorry but this is pretty terrible to me
Something you should have in mind is that even if the film was planned to be 2D, all the names you mentioned could not have been present because they are all already busy elsewhere. They wanted to try something new, and they knew it was the perfect moment to do it because there are no 2d staff available at TOEI. It will probably change after the end of Dragon Quest next year tho

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:24 pm

If they can pull this off and make it look good (I've got doubts), it would be nice to have them use it for the TV show when it comes back, then we'd finally get consistent quality from episode to episode.

I'm also really hoping DBS Broly wasn't a one off thing and we get more movies like it eventually. Say what you will about the story, but the animation was glorious, it's the best Dragon Ball has ever looked IMO.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm

I have some fairly strong doubts about the TV show coming back. It’s been three and a half years, and there’s been no real news on it. I’ve said this before, but my personal hope is that this movie will serve as the end for modern Dragon Ball.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm I have some fairly strong doubts about the TV show coming back. It’s been three and a half years, and there’s been no real news on it. I’ve said this before, but my personal hope is that this movie will serve as the end for modern Dragon Ball.
From what we know of the movie, it feels like a new beginning, not an end, but who knows, we'll have to wait and see. 🤷‍♂️ I can't imagine them ending Dragon Ball anytime soon, it's making them too much money.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:30 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:24 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm I have some fairly strong doubts about the TV show coming back. It’s been three and a half years, and there’s been no real news on it. I’ve said this before, but my personal hope is that this movie will serve as the end for modern Dragon Ball.
From what we know of the movie, it feels like a new beginning, not an end, but who knows, we'll have to wait and see. 🤷‍♂️ I can't imagine them ending Dragon Ball anytime soon, it's making them too much money.

Agreed I doubt they(Bandai,Toei,Shuiesha) would let the franchise go into free fall after all the time and effort they spent ressurecting it from dormancy. I mean you can only coast off of Dokkan & Legends profits for so long without any new material before things go bad.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:04 am

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1445 ... 07/photo/1

Piccolo is next to Goku! I think he'll have a major role this time :D

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:13 am

Gt91 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:04 am https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1445 ... 07/photo/1

I am starting to feel that Ichi-san and Nii-san will end up being the superheroes of this film. They surely don’t appear to be villains.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:42 am

I assume this movie finally notices Goku and Bulma were supposed to be apart for a while, and that it's happening pre EoZ.

No sight of Vegeta either so far :think:

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:32 am

That's the superhero team right there 8)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:36 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:13 am
Gt91 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:04 am https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1445 ... 07/photo/1

I am starting to feel that Ichi-san and Nii-san will end up being the superheroes of this film. They surely don’t appear to be villains.
That's depressing to see. I mean, they only show 3d models...