Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:30 am

Yeah. Super Hero was really fun, which makes people who were claiming that this was going to ruin Dragonball even more hilarious.

Toei has always been upfront that this was meant to be a more comedic film than Broly’s action packed tone. Goku and Vegeta appear exactly twice, and Toei probably knew they couldn’t sell it the same way they could Broly. This is a Piccolo and Gohan—well mostly Piccolo— story, and goddamn did I have a fun time with Piccolo’s shenanigans. The movie did our dear Namekian good.

In regards to the visuals, I do think it works better in context in a theater. Although I think some models are better than others. Piccolo and Gohan are great, but it’s clear that they were given the most focus. I thought Goten and Trunks were really odd looking. Also I thought the Goku and Vegeta models looked flat too. Almost as if the sequence was added in late in the production of the movie.

The fights are pretty good. I light how “weighty” the fights feel. Rather than going full energy blasts and speed lines, it’s cool watching these guys perform actual moves against each other.

In regards to whether any of this is canon: nah? The movie is a mishmash of different aspects of the anime and manga, though I was surprised how much of a sequel to Broly this turned out to be. But I’m still under the belief the movies are their own separate canon, and the film avoids having Goku and Vegeta transform precisely to keep that ambiguity.

All in all I had a great time with this.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:38 am

Just got back from the film. It was a lot of fun! I have some good points and some bad ones, but overall I'd say it's definitely in the upper tiers of modern Dragon Ball films.
All in all, maybe it's silly to complain about the stupider elements of an ultimately very stupid series. Transformations and bio-weapons aside, I still had a great time and this is definitely one of the more ambitious and creative outputs of the modern era. Feels a bit more like Toryiama had a real vision here, and I think it paid off. To create a solo Gohan-and-Piccolo venture with barely a scene or two of Goku and Vegeta is a big risk, and I'm glad they were willing to take it. I hope this sets a trend for future content and can happily recommend this to other DB fans.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:49 am

The Goku and Vegeta scene solely exists so they can have a scene or two of both Saiyans for the trailer. That’s it. You could literally remove that scene, and I’d argue, the movie would be better for it.

I loved how it modernizes the world of Dragonball; I love the little gags like Piccolo not knowing how to hold a phone or inexplicably seeing the action effects when fighting the androids. And of course the TFS influence with jokes about how Piccolo essentially has to father everyone else’s kid.

Pan was super cute and awesome!

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:51 am

My feelings for Gohan’s new form are pretty much the same feelings I have towards something like Super Saiyan 3. It looks stupid as fuck… but it’s also kiiinda cool. It’s impressive how these dumb transformations manage to give me chills in their debut scenes.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:55 am

My theater was sold out! Although my friend back in my hometown said him and his wife were the only ones in his theater so who knows until numbers come out. This was absolutely amazing though! I took my girlfriend and it was her first exposure to Dragon Ball and she loved it too. Easily better than RoF and Broly but deciding where I rank it against Battle of the Gods still. You're missing out if you don't see this in the theater. We both teared up
And she caught me tearing me up when
We saw the dub because she's mostly a dub watcher but I have tickets to see the sub with a friend and can't wait to see it again. She kept pointing at "X is Y in Fruits Basket?!" since it's one of her favorite anime. Her being a dub fan has actually made it interesting watching shows in two languages and comparing them to what the broader audience might have seen.

I'm a big toy collector so I'm a little upset I'm going to want at least five toys nows ...
However ...
Last edited by MuscleRobo on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:10 am

MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:55 am My theater was sold out! Although my friend back in my hometown said him and his wife were the only ones in his theater so who knows until numbers come out. This was absolutely amazing though! I took my girlfriend and it was her first exposure to Dragon Ball and she loved it too. Easily better than RoF and Broly but deciding where I rank it against Battle of the Gods still. You're missing out if you don't see this in the theater. We both teared up
And she caught me tearing me up when
We saw the dub because she's mostly a dub watcher but I have tickets to see the sub with a friend and can't wait to see it again. She kept pointing at "X is Y in Fruits Basket?!" since it's one of her favorite anime. Her being a dub fan has actually made it interesting watching shows in two languages and comparing them to what the broader audience might have seen.

I'm a big toy collector so I'm a little upset I'm going to want at least five toys nows ...
However ...

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 am

I went to the subbed showing last night and was the only person in the theater. In any case I really enjoyed the movie. I also loved that during the Goku/Vegeta sparring session we got to see Goku break out the

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:30 am

hahah man this movie did Krillin absolutely dirty.

"Hey, everyone's here!!....and so is Krillin."

I don't know about the sub, but there's a lot of TFS sprinkled in that English script.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:51 am

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:30 am hahah man this movie did Krillin absolutely dirty.

I don't know about the sub, but there's a lot of TFS sprinkled in that English script.
Are these direct lines from TFS? Or do people just think a joke means TFS? I've seen a few mentions of this now. TFS was so awful to me I quickly dropped it at the beginning so I don't know.

Pkjoan

Post by Pkjoan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:24 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:30 am hahah man this movie did Krillin absolutely dirty.

Subbed version roasted Krillin hard.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:31 pm

What a great movie. Already had watched the camrip, but on theaters and obviously in good quality is a different experience.

My opinion about it is still the same. The only thing that surprised me is how better the soundtrack was than I remembered. The main theme in particular pumped me up every time it played. It's so good. Sumitomo should watch his back.

Unlike BOG, Super Hero despite also being a lighter tone has a good balance between the action and the lighter moments.

Despite how bad the marketing was, I can't deny Toei efforts of making the movie look as good as possible. Going with a 2D aesthetic instead of fully CGI was the right choice. Wouldn't mind another movie like this, even though I like 2D more.

Kubota deserves a chance as character designer on a major 2D DB project.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:38 pm

Anyone else hoping that Gamma and Dr. Hedo become regular members of the cast and help in future conflicts?

They were such cool characters

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:41 pm

Peach wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:38 pm Anyone else hoping that Gamma and Dr. Hedo become regular members of the cast and help in future conflicts?

They were such cool characters
I guess they will work with Pilaf gang

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:45 pm

Saw it last night in IMAX and it was a lot of fun. Others have mentioned it, but I don't think it can stressed enough how much of a Piccolo movie this is. Piccolo finds out about the threat first, does his own research about the enemies, strengthens himself in preparation, and rallies every other main character available to help fight the Androids. If that's not enough, he's a mentor to both Gohan and Pan still, and acts as a major catalyst for their growth.

The CG was a little off at points, but overall I liked the style and some of the movement it allowed possible. Characters seamlessly performed somersaults, cliff jumps and all kinds of acrobatics in combat and it looked so fluid. The animation feels like it will continue to get better as time goes on, too. So overall, I'd say this was a good direction.

Cell MEGA was not a very interesting villain. He's a mindless hulk who wouldn't stick out as an exhibit in Jurassic World. But hey, the rest of the villain squad were fun and it was amazing how they revitalized the long defunct Red Ribbon Army. Some of the best humor of the movie came from a Red Ribbon goons reaction to Piccolo or Pan in world where they're clearly outclassed.

Gohan's Super Saiyan Beast transformation looked amazing, but it didn't do very much. Piccolo Orange was less exciting, but at least Piccolo made good use of it.

One other small gripe I have with Dragon Ball movies is that they do this sort of checking off boxes as to why heroes aren't available. Buu's sleeping, Goku and Vegeta are training, Beerus is napping too. Okay fine, this probably satisfies all the hardcore fans who wonder why person A or B weren't around to help, but it becomes tedious.

Overall very fun and a good contrast to the Goku-centered stories the movies usually tell. What other support characters could get the treatment Piccolo got this movie? The possibilities seem real now!

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:30 pm

LuckyCat wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:45 pm Saw it last night in IMAX and it was a lot of fun. Others have mentioned it, but I don't think it can stressed enough how much of a Piccolo movie this is. Piccolo finds out about the threat first, does his own research about the enemies, strengthens himself in preparation, and rallies every other main character available to help fight the Androids. If that's not enough, he's a mentor to both Gohan and Pan still, and acts as a major catalyst for their growth.

The CG was a little off at points, but overall I liked the style and some of the movement it allowed possible. Characters seamlessly performed somersaults, cliff jumps and all kinds of acrobatics in combat and it looked so fluid. The animation feels like it will continue to get better as time goes on, too. So overall, I'd say this was a good direction.

Cell MEGA was not a very interesting villain. He's a mindless hulk who wouldn't stick out as an exhibit in Jurassic World. But hey, the rest of the villain squad were fun and it was amazing how they revitalized the long defunct Red Ribbon Army. Some of the best humor of the movie came from a Red Ribbon goons reaction to Piccolo or Pan in world where they're clearly outclassed.

Gohan's Super Saiyan Beast transformation looked amazing, but it didn't do very much. Piccolo Orange was less exciting, but at least Piccolo made good use of it.

One other small gripe I have with Dragon Ball movies is that they do this sort of checking off boxes as to why heroes aren't available. Buu's sleeping, Goku and Vegeta are training, Beerus is napping too. Okay fine, this probably satisfies all the hardcore fans who wonder why person A or B weren't around to help, but it becomes tedious.

Overall very fun and a good contrast to the Goku-centered stories the movies usually tell. What other support characters could get the treatment Piccolo got this movie? The possibilities seem real now!
If they had made Cell more of a character, it might have taken away from the focus of this movie - Piccolo and Gohan's relationship. It might have taken focus away from the Gamma 1 & 2. It might have taken focus away from the united front of the side characters. They would have to devote time to developing Cell and his personality. I understand the criticism, but the movie was pretty damn long already lol.

Wonder why Piccolo didn't try to unlock his potential with Elder Kai. Wouldn't it have been stronger than the Namekian way?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:40 pm

LuckyCat wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:45 pm Saw it last night in IMAX and it was a lot of fun. Others have mentioned it, but I don't think it can stressed enough how much of a Piccolo movie this is. Piccolo finds out about the threat first, does his own research about the enemies, strengthens himself in preparation, and rallies every other main character available to help fight the Androids. If that's not enough, he's a mentor to both Gohan and Pan still, and acts as a major catalyst for their growth.

Did you or anyone else see it in 4DX and what kind of extra effects are there?

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:41 am

Just got back from seeing the sub version. It was amazing after all these years to be able to finally watch Dragon Ball in it's native language for the first time on the big screen. Hearing Nowaza's voice in the theater was unreal. Really enjoyed the movie and how it wasn't just the "Goku and Vegeta show" again. This movie really dug into the humor aspect more than most of the recent films and I'm all for it. Always great to see Fat Gotenks again and he was actually useful this time. I did notice they teased the real Gotenks at the end, but I guess there isn't an official image from Toriyama yet, so they couldn't show it. Gohan's transformation was whatever, but Piccolo's I found to be really much more interesting. Orange isn't a bad color on him. I didn't get a good look at it. but does anyone know what the symbol was on his back or what it stood for, if any?
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:27 am

Peach wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:30 pm

If they had made Cell more of a character, it might have taken away from the focus of this movie - Piccolo and Gohan's relationship. It might have taken focus away from the Gamma 1 & 2. It might have taken focus away from the united front of the side characters. They would have to devote time to developing Cell and his personality. I understand the criticism, but the movie was pretty damn long already lol.

Wonder why Piccolo didn't try to unlock his potential with Elder Kai. Wouldn't it have been stronger than the Namekian way?
Piccolo doesn't have Elder Kai's phone number :)

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:36 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:38 am All in all, maybe it's silly to complain about the stupider elements of an ultimately very stupid series. Transformations and bio-weapons aside, I still had a great time and this is definitely one of the more ambitious and creative outputs of the modern era. Feels a bit more like Toryiama had a real vision here, and I think it paid off. To create a solo Gohan-and-Piccolo venture with barely a scene or two of Goku and Vegeta is a big risk, and I'm glad they were willing to take it. I hope this sets a trend for future content and can happily recommend this to other DB fans.
Orange piccolo and Gohan beast is what creative Bankruptcy looks like. I strongly believe Dragon ball needs new people and more new ideas instead of constant nostalgia bait and rehashing old plot points over and over. If you want the ultimate stupidity and want to hurt your intelligence just watch fairy Tale. the Demon slayer movie new jujutsu kaisen movie are far far far more superior than this soulless nostalgia bait call MOVIE.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:52 am

I'm not sure why you felt the need to quote me saying I liked the movie just to say it's actually shit and somehow apparently "hurt my intelligence".