Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:23 am

so like

why does Beast Gohan's transformation mimic SSJ2's if it doesn't really work here?

like that one was supposed to represent Gohan losing his innocence, right? well he can't lose it TWICE so what's the point here?
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:37 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:23 am so like

why does Beast Gohan's transformation mimic SSJ2's if it doesn't really work here?

like that one was supposed to represent Gohan losing his innocence, right? well he can't lose it TWICE so what's the point here?
No, that's just fan headcanon.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:39 pm

I am curious what does Goten, Trunks and Gotenks do in the movie? I am aware Gotenks fails to do fusion dance and end up fat, however do they get fusion dance right in the movie and show their teen self fused?

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:03 pm

So after having fun about Gohan Beast all the time being sarcastic.

Can we all agree that the movie SADLY is a flop compared to the other Super movies?

Even if I still think it is far better as RoF.

But after 2 decades of shitting on all other characters bar Vegeta and Goku what have TOEI and Toriyama expected?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:11 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:03 pm Can we all agree that the movie SADLY is a flop compared to the other Super movies?
On what basis do we have to agree with that?

From everything I've seen, this new film is infinitely more in line with my expectations and wants than, say, Broly.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:11 pm
Soba Mask wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:03 pm Can we all agree that the movie SADLY is a flop compared to the other Super movies?
On what basis do we have to agree with that?

From everything I've seen, this new film is infinitely more in line with my expectations and wants than, say, Broly.
I like it as well same I love Gohan but money speaks

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1547 ... 0&ref_url=

And do not fool yourself thinking that it will be even close to the Broly movie overseas. TOEI totally screwed the marketing

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:25 pm

OK, but I'm not particularly interested in how much money the movie makes -- I'm interested in whether I like it or not.

I suppose you could extrapolate that out and make an argument that since it (thus far) hasn't done as well as prior movies, this is not the direction they would go with again in terms of storytelling... and I suppose that would make it a "flop" to some degree...? And yes, I would be disappointed by that... which is separate from being disappointed in this actual film itself.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:25 pm OK, but I'm not particularly interested in how much money the movie makes -- I'm interested in whether I like it or not.

I suppose you could extrapolate that out and make an argument that since it (thus far) hasn't done as well as prior movies, this is not the direction they would go with again in terms of storytelling... and I suppose that would make it a "flop" to some degree...? And yes, I would be disappointed by that... which is separate from being disappointed in this actual film itself.
I like it a lot as well... But no one especially at TOEI won't care about it if numbers aren't fitting.

Same as some Netflix shows are cancelled even if SOME people like it

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:25 pm OK, but I'm not particularly interested in how much money the movie makes -- I'm interested in whether I like it or not.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm interested in your thoughts. Why'd you like the movie?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:12 pm

Miracles wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:09 pm I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm interested in your thoughts. Why'd you like the movie?
I am not in Japan -- I have not seen the film. I'm speaking strictly from what promotional material I've seen, and what we went over in our review on the podcast (with folks that did see the film in Japanese theaters).

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:29 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:23 am like that one was supposed to represent Gohan losing his innocence, right?
No, it was Gohan getting REALLY angry, letting his inner school-shooter taking control.

Here it's more akin to consciously letting his inner school-shooter power out but keeping it under control.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:12 pm
Miracles wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:09 pm I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm interested in your thoughts. Why'd you like the movie?
I am not in Japan -- I have not seen the film. I'm speaking strictly from what promotional material I've seen, and what we went over in our review on the podcast (with folks that did see the film in Japanese theaters).
Oh. I always thought you were. Anyway is it true that a Japanese subtitled version is coming out in theaters over in the states here?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:25 pmI suppose you could extrapolate that out and make an argument that since it (thus far) hasn't done as well as prior movies, this is not the direction they would go with again in terms of storytelling... and I suppose that would make it a "flop" to some degree...? And yes, I would be disappointed by that... which is separate from being disappointed in this actual film itself.
The irony is that since fans have been complaining about Super being "the Goku and Vegeta show" as well as clamouring for other characters like Gohan and Piccolo to get some love, and the movie isn't doing nearly as well as Super Broly, TOEI will probably be less likely to experiment in future, because yes money talks.

Of course how much money Super Hero makes doesn't determine how good and enjoyable it is, that is all subjective, and ultimately there will be some that prefer it to Super Broly, it may even end up being more critically acclaimed, but a businesses job is to make more money that won't matter to them if it doesn't correlate with profit expectations that aren't met.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:41 pm

Miracles wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:38 pm Anyway is it true that a Japanese subtitled version is coming out in theaters over in the states here?
Yes. We have a news post about it -- I specifically followed up with Crunchyroll to clarify that the US was among the territories getting both subtitled and dubbed.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:58 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:41 pm
Miracles wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:38 pm Anyway is it true that a Japanese subtitled version is coming out in theaters over in the states here?
Yes. We have a news post about it -- I specifically followed up with Crunchyroll to clarify that the US was among the territories getting both subtitled and dubbed.
I appreciate you.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:29 pm

The moment Gohan lost his innoscence was when his father was killed and he was taken as a toddler by a green demon guy, who left him in the woods alone and fight for his life, so he can kill the guys who will come to kill him and everyone else. not 5 years later, when he cried in a battle.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:23 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:29 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:23 am like that one was supposed to represent Gohan losing his innocence, right?
No, it was Gohan getting REALLY angry, letting his inner school-shooter taking control
out of all the things to compare Gohan's rage to, why a school shooter
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:17 am

I don't know if it is me, but "Gohan losing his innocence" sounds really weird to me :lol:
He definitely lost it with Videl, if not somewhere else in some in-universe happening we haven't saw :lol:

But anyway I think this goes in line, even tho it feels more shoehorned in the Super era, with hybrid Saiyans, Trunks and Gohan, going a different route since Z.

In Z, Gohan transforms to yet unnamed rage form beyond Super Saiyan, because he has lot of raw power and hidden potential, speculated by being a kid of an Earthling and Saiyan, foreshadowed by his rage boosts since the Saiyan arc.
Trunks, also being a prodigy of sorts, goes beyond Vegeta against Cell in raw power and pushes the form further, but is slowed down by the abundance of muscle.

In Super, Trunks' rage boost against Goku Black/Zamasu and Gohan's Beast form in this movie to me are the same concepts basically.
With Trunks having the Super Saiyan basis for it and Gohan going further from Super Saiyan with his "potential unleashed".

Even tho I was surprised by Gohan's design in the movie and feels bit alien, the callback to his rage transformation in Cell arc is evident and it's not something I don't buy.
But it's interesting how much controversy it stirs and how for me, an older millenial, it's kind of crazy how the era is a bit of different from being a kid, finishing with GT and being excited by the rudiculous AF stuff, that we are basically now getting.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:51 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:37 pm The irony is that since fans have been complaining about Super being "the Goku and Vegeta show" as well as clamouring for other characters like Gohan and Piccolo to get some love, and the movie isn't doing nearly as well as Super Broly, TOEI will probably be less likely to experiment in future, because yes money talks.

Of course how much money Super Hero makes doesn't determine how good and enjoyable it is, that is all subjective, and ultimately there will be some that prefer it to Super Broly, it may even end up being more critically acclaimed, but a businesses job is to make more money that won't matter to them if it doesn't correlate with profit expectations that aren't met.
This is very painful for me to say that this movie cant even touch the demon slayer movie forget about competing. I think this a very little experimental project to them as according to the chronicles they are already working on a new movie (in pre production),and probably the show is returning. But in my honest humble opinion when you got a multibillion dollar property like DB which is The biggest property for NOT ONLY FOR TOEI BUT ALSO SHUIESHA and one of the highest grossing media franchise in history that is equal with batman and Spiderman it deserved much much better.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:01 pm

Kagari wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:37 pm

No, that's just fan headcanon.
oh! my apologies!
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!