Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:34 pm

Question about the 3D animation. A while back One Piece had a 3D animation movie, did they market it as a 3D movie or just treated it the same as the other films. So far they don't seem to be marketing the movie as a CG movie. They are just calling it a new style.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:38 pm

My 2 cents:

- Not a big fan of CGI, the trailer looked like a videogame cutscene for me, but it's Dragon Ball so as a passionate fan as myself will give the chance to prove it could be entertaining.

- The Red Ribbon Army back again? Well I hope Goku, Vegeta and Broly don't play a big role this time. Cause I won't buy these fellas making androids/cyborgs that could top on the God-tier and before you come with "oh but they did create people stronger than Freeza" yeah and I still think it's bad storytelling anyway.

- Pan looks like older than she's on EoZ and I hope for the love of god Toriyama has the designs of older Goten and Trunks. If not, then f**k it... just don't have them to show on the movie at all.

- The antagonists don't look interesting and the premise seems like of a slice of life episode, hope to be wrong.
Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:09 pmIt really looks very budget and rushed. I know there are no 2D animators on hand at the moment, but there are plenty who work in 3D (again, look at Arc System Works) who are very skilled at emulating the look of 2D through 3D.
I don't get it... do you mean the whole reason why we can't have this film a bit like the last one it is because Toei has no 2D animators available nowadays?
Trouser wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:49 pm The designs for Trunks and Goten has been leaked: https://i.ibb.co/8MWZC23/gotentrunksdbssuperhero.jpg
Oh you got me, you got me good :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:15 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:34 pm Question about the 3D animation. A while back One Piece had a 3D animation movie, did they market it as a 3D movie or just treated it the same as the other films. So far they don't seem to be marketing the movie as a CG movie. They are just calling it a new style.
They promoted it as a 3D movie. It was even promoted as a 3D movie in the title. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCFO2Nk6DDE

The difference between that One Piece film and Super Hero is that the former was just a straight up CG animation that didn't even try to replicate 2D animation. Super Hero will mostly be CG, but the animation will have similar timing to hand drawn anime. None of the characters in the Super Hero teaser moved in 24 frames per second like in that 3D One Piece film. I even noticed some hand drawn elements, like some of the backgrounds and this one shot of Goku...
I'm hoping that most of the character close up shots resemble this quality.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:53 am

To be fair, I remember when the promotional trailers for the Broly film were originally released, some of the graphics looked a bit corny and video-gamey as well, but were ultimately polished in the final release... Hopefully the same thing happens here.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:55 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:47 pm
LightBing wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:31 am
Goku in Super has been stagnant; worst inconsistently written. His character struggle to find a new savior of Earth has been dropped, he's aimless besides the ever present need to be stronger.

So yeah, I want him to take a step back if there's more interesting characters. Dragon Ball is partially an ensemble manga, Goku saves the day but a lot of people participate.
That used to bother me too, but I believe Goku's goal of finding a worthy successor may be coming back soon. After all, the original manga ended with Goku discovering Uub and we're getting close to that endgame at last.

I have a theory that Goku lost faith in his ability to mentor the next generation. Back in Z, Goku rightly saw Gohan as his superior but was forced to accept that Gohan didn't want to walk the same path. Then he mistakenly placed all his faith in Goten and Trunks, who were even less cut out for the task. By Super, Goku's grown powerful enough by himself that finding a successor is no longer an immediate concern. And when Dende talks to him about Uub, Goku says he's no good at teaching. Ironic, as Goku is a great teacher, but his method of "stealth-mentoring" the younger generation by forcing them to fight their own battles is flawed.

Goku may be a competitive asshole but he's gracious in conceding when he discovers people more naturally gifted than himself. Plenty of prodigies are popping their heads out now, so Goku may be opening up to the idea of passing the torch once again. Caulifla, Kale, Broly, Uub, Pan... Knowing Goku though, he hasn't learned from his past mistakes and will probably force Pan to fight Beerus at some point. Totally unfair, the cat won't stand a chance. :lol:
With this movie happening right before the 28TB, I sure hope Oob brings that trait back to Goku.

There's probably no narrative reason for this struggle of the character to have been dropped. Simply Oob is inevitable, so there's nothing to do about it.
Having Goku try out Goten or Trunks or however wouldn't bring nothing because at the end, Oob will come.

We spent to long in this lost decade, going nowhere.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:33 pm

I think Uub will definitely take up the mantle as the main character, but I'm really hoping they find interesting ways to tell stories about the other characters along side the main story with Uub, and judging from this new movie it looks like they plan to do just that. I think having the other characters join the Galatic Patrol or some sort of hero organization would be perfect.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:06 pm

Since this is so close to the 28th's tournamanent, Goku and Bulma can't meet during this movie, right? Is he going to spend the entire film on Broly's planet?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:29 pm

I hope so. Goku will spend the entire movie training with Broly on Beerus' planet. Vegeta either will be there too or somewhere else doing Dende knows what. And Bulma will be summoning Shenlong to get five years younger (because why not? :roll:).

The movie can't acknowledge the manga events, though. If it does, then it doesn't matter if Goku and Bulma see each other or not, because they met in Granola saga (that's what I've been told, anyway). If the movie doesn't, then yeah, the last time they saw each other was in Movie 1, and that "not seeing each other for five years" line is still valid.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:49 pm

The panel team stated that Goku and Piccolo "may" play a major role in the movie plot. Along with Gamma one and two. All four of those characters "embody" the title Super Hero.

It's pie in the sky thinking, hoping Goku will sit this one out.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Yeah, the notion that Goku will just not be a major character in the first animated product in four years is baffling.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Guys, this might sound crazy but hear me out... do you think Goku might be in the new movie? :o

Image Image

I don't see much evidence supporting these wild speculations.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:52 pm

The movie will probably acknowledge the manga as much as Broly referenced the ToP I reckon. Maybe one still shot of Granolah and the Heetas as Goku tells Broly that he just got back from a wild adventure, without really elaborating much.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:26 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pm Yeah, the notion that Goku will just not be a major character in the first animated product in four years is baffling.
I think he's definitely going to be in the film a good ammount, and there will probably be a huge fight scene with him, Vegeta and Broly training together, but I don't think he will be the one dealing with the main antagonist.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:35 pm

Goku's presence in this movie might be similar to something like Z movie 13, where Trunks and Tapion were the main characters but Goku still got a decent amount of screen time as a side character. Let's just hope Goku doesn't steal the villain defeat for himself at the end. :lol:

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:37 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:52 pm The movie will probably acknowledge the manga as much as Broly referenced the ToP I reckon. Maybe one still shot of Granolah and the Heetas as Goku tells Broly that he just got back from a wild adventure, without really elaborating much.
The movie would be better off not acknowledging the manga at all. The Movies/Anime should be kept separate from the Manga going forward. Broly was hardly mentioned in the manga. Literally a 1 page brief summary that the movie even happened and then was completely ignored from then onward. To the point that Toyotaro wouldn't even acknowledge Broly in interviews until the Editor brought the character up.

Leave the manga alone. Let it be its own thing. And hopefully after this movie DBS will return to TV in the Shintani style.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:31 pm

When Granolah was mentioned, they were seem to be caught by surprise and they avoided talking about it under the "spoiler" excuse. I think they know not everyone reads it, that the manga doesn't reach as many people as possible, like a movie and anime does. So imagine a still shot of Granolah saga (much in the same vein as Universe Survival saga got in Movie 1)... I think they would be like: "wait, the majority of people don't know these guys, and the anime hasn't covered it yet. They only exist in manga format, so maybe it's better if we don't put it in the movie or people might get confused".

Anyway, it's kind of hard to predict these stuff, so obviously we should just wait and see, but my bets are that the movie continuity won't acknowledge the manga again. Lack of anime appearance is enough for most of these characters to not even get merchandising and appearing in games, let alone a movie appearance out of nowhere. At any rate, I'll be very surprised if it does.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:35 pmGoku's presence in this movie might be similar to something like Z movie 13, where Trunks and Tapion were the main characters but Goku still got a decent amount of screen time as a side character. Let's just hope Goku doesn't steal the villain defeat for himself at the end. :lol:
This is, indeed, the best case scenario. The movie can have its own protagonists, and if we really need Goku shoved down our throats, then they can do what they did in Movie 13 and use Goku for something big or whatever.

This also presents an opportunity for other characters to get more development and screentime, like Trunks and Tapion got, now seemingly Pan and Piccolo. And I would be a huge supporter of this approach going forward. I wouldn't mind that at all, to be honest.
Last edited by Grimlock on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:02 am

I mean, it's no coincidence that even the teaser trailer, parallels the new villain's ["Evil organization"] with the heroes ["Rise up our Hero"] Goku, Pan, Piccolo and Gamma 2.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 am

Miracles wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:02 am I mean, it's no coincidence that even the teaser trailer, parallels the new villain's ["Evil organization"] with the heroes ["Rise up our Hero"] Goku, Pan, Piccolo and Gamma 2.
Yknow I found it weird that we didn’t see Gamma 1 in action in the trailer. He’s seen only in the last shot, posing with 2. Surely both of them will be equally important, right?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pm Yeah, the notion that Goku will just not be a major character in the first animated product in four years is baffling.
This is what happens with speculation. Before we really knew much about about the Broly movie at what one point folks always speculated it was gonna be about the past, Goku/Vegeta might sit this one out. Going off what Superhero is showing us Goku will be in for a decent length. There’s still much to show

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 am
This is what happens with speculation. Before we really knew much about about the Broly movie at what one point folks always speculated it was gonna be about the past, Goku/Vegeta might sit this one out. Going off what Superhero is showing us Goku will be in for a decent length. There’s still much to show
yeah i think goku will play a decent heart warming role but dont know why i have a feeling that this movie is the last of Toriyama's involvement. I may be wrong but i have a feeling that after this movie Toriyama passing the torch to toyotaro completely.