Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 am

I think is ok to have different opinions and like or don't like movie, but the end of Dragon ball Super?

This reminds me of when the anime was airing and there was one person who came back after every episode just to say "this is the last straw that broke camel back"

I think the movie is going to do well Globally.

Unkikonki

Post by Unkikonki » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:53 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 am I think is ok to have different opinions and like or don't like movie, but the end of Dragon ball Super?

This reminds me of when the anime was airing and there was one person who came back after every episode just to say "this is the last straw that broke camel back"

I think the movie is going to do well Globally.
Haha yeah that statement about the end of the DBs was more like bait to lure readers in. You are right, the movie will probably do well. I don't participate in the fandom at all, but now that I've talked to some people I see a lot of them liked it. Maybe I should watch it one more time and see if I still get the same impression.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:48 pm

MajinPopo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:56 am I felt like the acquisition of the power could have been handled in a better way, but that being said, in a series with wish-granting orbs, it does make sense to actually use them from time to time. It feels less like a Granolah/Gas cop-out of wishing to be the strongest, because it ties directly into Namekian lore with Guru's ability to draw out latent power and the aforementioned connection between Piccolo and the Dragon Balls.
This is why I don't have much of a problem with the way Piccolo's powerup was handled. At this point, massive powerups are arbitrary and the reason people get them has become more and ridiculous. If we didn't already have that precedent, I'd likely be much more annoyed, but it is what it is at this point.

Plus we have clues in the anime and manga that Piccolo is harboring a ton of potential as he constantly punches above his weight class with his techniques. That potential was always locked in his "base" form. I like what these red-eye forms could mean for Gohan and Piccolo's line of transformations. It seems predicated on the idea that both their true potentials have been unlocked but maybe it's also the true expression of those who are of the Demon Clan, Gohan included since he's a disciple.

Also, this reminds me that Dragon Ball would be so much better if the mortals (including Goku and Vegeta) all hit a strength ceiling. We wouldn't need all these goofy new forms and characters could just drop in and out of combat scenarios when needed without the need for the silly powerups.
Still, aside from that it was pretty good. I think there's a sort of fake out regarding Piccolo's powerup that a lot of people miss. When he was granted it by Shenron and said that he added a little bonus, the mirror fell down so he could look at himself. I took it that the intended gag was that you're supposed to think that the mirror was the bonus.
Good catch! I never even considered that. So, it's possible that Piccolo reached the next level of that form on his own. That's cool.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:53 pm

Honestly I'm just waiting for a home release so that I can watch it in higher quality later on; any news on a Japanese home video release? Like a DVD or Blu-Ray or something?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:51 am From what I've heard from people who have seen it, it doesn't get serious until Cell Max shows up. Unless the entire movie is serious all the way through, which nothing I've heard about it indicates that, I don't see how it was impossible to fit Saiyaman in there. What I've heard about the film just doesn't bear that out.
Saiyaman would be odd in the movie 'cause
Not that it'd be impossible to use Saiyaman, but with the way they structured the plot, it'd be out of place.
MajinPopo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:56 am Still, aside from that it was pretty good. I think there's a sort of fake out regarding Piccolo's powerup that a lot of people miss. When he was granted it by Shenron and said that he added a little bonus, the mirror fell down so he could look at himself. I took it that the intended gag was that you're supposed to think that the mirror was the bonus.
Yeah, I thought the mirror was the bonus too, and I was aware that he was gonna have an extra transformation, so the mirror still fooled me lol.
It does make sense that Shenron would grant some kind of Namekian boost to Piccolo, due to the Dragon Ball's origins along with the Kami/Piccolo split. Shenron even directly refers to him as "Lord Piccolo", implying that there's still some level of connection and reverence there. Is this the first time that Piccolo Jr. has directly made a wish?
I think so, all the other times in Z and Supes, he was at most, nearby but not really talking.

It is a bit weird that Shenlong calls him "Lord Piccolo" when he didn't do so the other times, the way Shenlong reacted gives this impression he respects Piccolo, kinda like how he respects Beerus minus the fear, so it'd make sense if he reacted that way on other opportunities Piccolo was nearby, but eh, whatever, small detail lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 pm It is a bit weird that Shenlong calls him "Lord Piccolo" when he didn't do so the other times, the way Shenlong reacted gives this impression he respects Piccolo, kinda like how he respects Beerus minus the fear, so it'd make sense if he reacted that way on other opportunities Piccolo was nearby, but eh, whatever, small detail lol.
Well, Piccolo has never spoken to Shenron until this movie.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:41 pm

Finally a new PV featuring Final Gohan, Orange Piccolo and Cell Max
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYemducBHE

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:50 pm

The name of Gohans's new transformation is revealed. It is "孫悟飯ビースト", which means "Son Gohan Beast"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:02 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:50 pm The name of Gohans's new transformation is revealed. It is "孫悟飯ビースト", which means "Son Gohan Beast"

Direct tweet from Herms: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1541919202360995840
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pm

Orange Piccolo and Beast Gohan, eh? Interesting choices.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:17 pm

Akira Toriyama wrote:(...) in the sense that the wild beast within him has awakened.
Akira Toriyama wrote:I'm not sure what sort of design I should use if I ever transform him even further (laughs)
The word of the last decade was "prodigious", now we're entering a new era, the Era of the Awakenings! And if you thought you had awakened, oh boy, there comes a new and further awakening! Endless awakenings! (laughs)

Come on, we should be able to ask Toriyama at least what is the point of all this, I understand when it comes to Piccolo, to give him a transformation (awakening!) is a wise decision. But Gohan? Does he finally intend to start writing Gohan to be more active in battles from now on? If the answer is still "no", then why? Why would you give him transformations? Is it just to "tease" his fans? I don't understand when it comes to Gohan.

"Beast Gohan" does sound a bit cool, though. Gotta give them that much. Dragon Ball is always crap with the names, so no point in complaining, but this one is a highlight. Way better than "Final Gohan", wherever the hell that one came from.

I would have very much liked if Toriyama had commented upon Piccolo's red eyes, though, the one interesting part of the form he didn't say anything.
Last edited by Grimlock on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 pm

Man, Toriyama really seems to have enjoyed working on this story.

I liked his explanation about Gohan's new form. I guess this line end up meaning something after all:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:37 pm

Beast Gohan! I love it. I love how much fun Toriyama is having with this film.

We’re also officially in post-spoiler territory now. If you’d managed to avoid it before, chances are you’ll be unlikely to do so now.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:35 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 pm Man, Toriyama really seems to have enjoyed working on this story.

I liked his explanation about Gohan's new form. I guess this line end up meaning something after all:
I'm hoping this results in Gohan getting 2 transformation lines (look at me embracing all this new form nonsense). Beast Form fits Gohan so dang perfectly because it encapsulates that aggressive cockiness he gets whenever he unleashes the depths of his power. We've seen it with SSJ2 and Ultimate back in the Buu arc. Gohan's kind of always had this Jekyll and Hyde aspect to his character, even when he was a kid and I'm glad Toriyama-san is utilizing that. Of course, he knows these characters better than us so it's always a treat when he digs into the goodie bag and recontexualizes a character for us. He does it so effortlessly too. Credit where its due.

Anyways, fanboying aside, the other transformation line I'd like to see is the one alluded to in the manga. I'd like to see Gohan evolve his human/pacificist side with the Ultimate Form. So basically, he could have a demon side and a tranquil side. Gohan could legit end up being the coolest character and as someone who's never been a Gohan fan, I'm here for it.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:06 pm

I'm going to say that naming Gohan's form "Beast Gohan" is absolutely stupid. No matter how 'cool' it sounds, it doesn't fit Gohan's persona. It better fits Broly, who is much more primal and beastly than the home schooled intellectual that spends his days doing reports and studying. Honestly, for me, the more I hear and see of this movie, the more disappointed I am with it. From the horrendous transformations, the lackluster writing and plot, and just the overuse of memberberries in general. The character resets and memberberries are just a sign of the decline overall. Toyo practically buried the manga in this and now Tori with Toei has filled this movie with it.

*sigh*

I just can't. I have no excitement for this whatsoever. And it makes me feel depressed to see people so overjoyed with such mediocrity. Maybe it's just because I'm part of the older crowd, but I don't feel like series is going in a meaningful direction. In fact it feels like it's going in circles and someone just keeps adding new color palettes.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:16 pm

Zelvin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:06 pm I'm going to say that naming Gohan's form "Beast Gohan" is absolutely stupid. No matter how 'cool' it sounds, it doesn't fit Gohan's persona. It better fits Broly, who is much more primal and beastly than the home schooled intellectual that spends his days doing reports and studying. Honestly, for me, the more I hear and see of this movie, the more disappointed I am with it. From the horrendous transformations, the lackluster writing and plot, and just the overuse of memberberries in general. The character resets and memberberries are just a sign of the decline overall. Toyo practically buried the manga in this and now Tori with Toei has filled this movie with it.

*sigh*

I just can't. I have no excitement for this whatsoever. And it makes me feel depressed to see people so overjoyed with such mediocrity. Maybe it's just because I'm part of the older crowd, but I don't feel like series is going in a meaningful direction. In fact it feels like it's going in circles and someone just keeps adding new color palettes.
So basically ‘stopped liking what I don’t like’? And most of the people who love the movie are older people who have been watching Dragon Ball in Japanese since the 90s.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:41 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pm Beast Gohan
😂😂😂

That's so bad.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:52 pm

Ok so I’m just here because I read all the online spoilers and I’m want to see how we’re justifying this now.

I’m REALLY disappointed to see what’s happened to the franchise.

Are we sure we aren’t being actively trollled at this point?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:18 pm

This movie already sounds better than the current arc in the manga if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:18 pm This movie already sounds better than the current arc in the manga if you ask me.
The movie shits on anything the manga has done.