Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:57 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:20 pm
Next film is being already in the works and if we go by that geekdom email then it will be goku,broly vegeta movie.
I have followed the announcements on twitter but there was no mention of an email

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:06 pm

What? They said Dragon Ball Super has multiple continuities!? After so many obvious things basically yelling at us that this has always been the case? No way, it can't be! :o

Anyway, if they feel like Dragon Ball can sustain itself with movies every once in a while from now on, then I would have to agree with someone who said that these movies can't waste much time on/be too much about slice of life stuff. While I enjoy it, it is better suited for an OVA or in the series. You have to go big, and I'm not talking about (just) fights.

Also, if movie is the future, then yeah, a "cinematic universe" approach is the ideal for modern times. Dragon Ball has material, content and is rich enough for that. I would still prefer the idea I proposed earlier, but seeing as they want to continue to produce movies from now on...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

wertham

Post by wertham » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:49 pm

Wait wait, before it gets too far: the translation says there are two "lines" of Dragon Ball Super running in parallel, but that doesn't mean "timelines". This could mean "production lines", and later Iyoku clarifies that "it's like we have events running in parallel". It seems for example that some story developments like having Broly progressing on his training will be seen in the movies as in "Toriyama wants to play with him", and other developments will happen in the manga. I think it's more like an "Amazing Spider-Man" and "Spectacular Spider-Man" scenario, with two series running in parallel and telling stories based on the same continuity.

If it's not the case, I think the manga has run out of its purpose and maybe it's time to end it.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm Orange Piccolo makes sense with the dragon balls being orange. Hopefully this will now keep Piccolo in future arcs and raise his popularity even more.
He's consistently in the top 5, so I don't see that changing much. There's a chance he could overtake Gohan, but I don't think he will. The two of them will likely stay ranked #4 and #5 or one may solidify the #3 spot. I don't think they'll ever beat Goku and Vegeta, at least not in the near future.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:00 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:41 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 am Tidbits from recent V-jump interview, quick translation by cypher: https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/15 ... 7597913090
- Film and manga parallel continuities are officially confirmed, but they are not placed in the same timeline to leave margin to flesh new stories out (and I would say sort of avoid age conflict).
i wouldnt say they are not the same timeline. He calls SH a sequel to broly and that makes sense, because its referencing the events of that movie and the arcs before that, BUT it doesnt contradict the manga arcs. They are just not mentioned. Its weird, but they still fit. Just because they talk about jiren it doesnt mean Moro and Granolah dont happend. It just mean they didnt talked about them.
I'm pretty sure thats how they planned the movie "Lets not contradict the Manga, but dont reference it either, for the people, who hasnt read it".
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:22 pm

wertham wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:49 pm Wait wait, before it gets too far: the translation says there are two "lines" of Dragon Ball Super running in parallel, but that doesn't mean "timelines". This could mean "production lines", and later Iyoku clarifies that "it's like we have events running in parallel". It seems for example that some story developments like having Broly progressing on his training will be seen in the movies as in "Toriyama wants to play with him", and other developments will happen in the manga. I think it's more like an "Amazing Spider-Man" and "Spectacular Spider-Man" scenario, with two series running in parallel and telling stories based on the same continuity.

If it's not the case, I think the manga has run out of its purpose and maybe it's time to end it.
This is the thrust. Nothing on different timelines in the comment. Just noting that they have two different story tracks that will exist in tandem, and that they aren’t too picky about aligning precisely. The movies will do their thing, and the manga will do its.

Time will tell if they really do feel a need to diverge continuity (I don’t think they’ll ever want to make an unadapted manga a reading requirement for a movie; that’s just bad business), but it isn’t quite the thrust of that comment.

I guess, yes, you could say that’s already a case of different continuities in the strictest sense, based on not caring to align all details, but it’s not quite there in terms of a major “This is an entire alternate branch of events” one.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:04 pm

BWri wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm
namekiansaiyan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm Orange Piccolo makes sense with the dragon balls being orange. Hopefully this will now keep Piccolo in future arcs and raise his popularity even more.
He's consistently in the top 5, so I don't see that changing much. There's a chance he could overtake Gohan, but I don't think he will. The two of them will likely stay ranked #4 and #5 or one may solidify the #3 spot. I don't think they'll ever beat Goku and Vegeta, at least not in the near future.
In most polls, Gohan and Piccolo were already 3 and 4 respectively.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 pm

I think the reason why the manga is not reference is due to spoilers. DBZ Movie 13 did a similar thing by not mentioning on who defeated Buu and why Mr. Satan & Fat Buu was nowhere to be seen (The anime wans't finished yet).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 pm I think the reason why the manga is not reference is due to spoilers. DBZ Movie 13 did a similar thing by not mentioning on who defeated Buu and why Mr. Satan & Fat Buu was nowhere to be seen (The anime wans't finished yet).
It’s because the movie was wrong even before Broly hit the movies. It was apparently being planned since 2017, which is during the anime’s USS run.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:59 pm

But considering the gap between chapter 517 and the release of Movie 13 is just two months, it's possible that Toei considered that information in their pre-production for the movie, which would also explain Satan and Majin Buu's absences in the movie.

And of course, there wasn't a "Dragon Room" back in the day. Now there is. So coordination is more than in order, it should be standard procedure.

I have to ask why even a vague mention is considered a "spoiler". Just say anything along the lines of "remember Moro and the Heeters?". We know they are going to be defeated, we don't need to know how or by whom, but we do know everything is going to be fine, or has everyone forgotten that all of this takes place before the 28th tournament? We are not really in uncharted territory, we know exactly what lies ahead.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:01 pm

I wonder how it took 5 years to produce DBSSH when we had DBSBR a couple of months after the anime finale, which was much better visually speaking. Guess working with CGI is that much hard lol
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am At the end of the day when its all said and done & the nostalgia wears off this movie will be seen as a flop both creatively & financially . Toriyama should be banished to the shadow realm, sent to the next dimension, give two tokens to the boatman for this franchise at the River Styx, then told to go home to just be a family man & never pick up a pen to write again for what he did. Just when you think he has already thoroughly bulldozed this entire franchise into the ground with his terrible plot points ,retcons, & his lack of giving a damn he manages to somehow go even further beyond. This was worse than anything Toei did with Super filler included. A movie who’s plot swings wildly between incoherent fan-fiction & the fever dreams of a mangaka WAY past his prime who’s writing gives signs of someone suffering from the late stages of dementia. Who in all these terrible projects is constantly trotted out in front of a gullible fandom by execs of a company ran on gerontocracy, archaic business models, & corporate greed as some sign of quality so they can feel safe about the low budget, lazy, souless stuff they crap out.
Wow! I wouldn't put on that way, but for me Toriyama is a better writer when he has directors putting his work in check. Dragon Room doesn't seem much efficient on that, they should hire talented people that know the series from the heart and that could contribute somehow in leading to different paths beyond the same thing over and over again.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am

Noah wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:01 pm I wonder how it took 5 years to produce DBSSH when we had DBSBR a couple of months after the anime finale, which was much better visually speaking. Guess working with CGI is that much hard lol
There's no way it was in actual production for 5 years, they're probably saying 5 years because they started playing around with different ideas and character designs 5 years ago, and those ideas eventually lead to what became Super Hero today.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:12 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am
Noah wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:01 pm I wonder how it took 5 years to produce DBSSH when we had DBSBR a couple of months after the anime finale, which was much better visually speaking. Guess working with CGI is that much hard lol
There's no way it was in actual production for 5 years, they're probably saying 5 years because they started playing around with different ideas and character designs 5 years ago, and those ideas eventually lead to what became Super Hero today.
Dragon Ball Broly started production even before USS was written. That is how we have Broly being older than Kale production-wise. So it wasn't like they made Broly a few months after the anime, it has been in the works since around 2016.

That and CGI does take longer if you don't have the foundation in place. Despite popular belief, CGI isn't easy baked oven into existence.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 pm

The movie was nothing extraordinary to me. A fun one for sure, but it was not worth all this wait. I wonder what took them so long to produce and release it.

Hopefully Piccolo and Gohan (and Pan too) will play important roles alongside Goku and Vegeta in future stories, or else this story would be quite inconsequential.

Considering how close we are to End of Z, it would be great if the next movie was set after it. Pan played a semi-important role in this one, and she would likely also be among the leading characters in a post-EoZ one, alongside Uub. But I guess it’s still too soon for that.

I wouldn’t mind a ToP 2 next, written by Toriyama who always wrote fun and compelling tournaments. But a Sadala story would also be interesting. Anything but not something set on Earth, please.

I wonder whose idea was to bring the RR back, because it wasn’t a good one considering the plethora of options they had. We have all these new universes introduced, and they decided to go back to an Earth-focused story again?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:40 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 pm The movie was nothing extraordinary to me. A fun one for sure, but it was not worth all this wait. I wonder what took them so long to produce and release it.

Hopefully Piccolo and Gohan (and Pan too) will play important roles alongside Goku and Vegeta in future stories, or else this story would be quite inconsequential.

Considering how close we are to End of Z, it would be great if the next movie was set after it. Pan played a semi-important role in this one, and she would likely also be among the leading characters in a post-EoZ one, alongside Uub. But I guess it’s still too soon for that.

I wouldn’t mind a ToP 2 next, written by Toriyama who always wrote fun and compelling tournaments. But a Sadala story would also be interesting. Anything but not something set on Earth, please.

I wonder whose idea was to bring the RR back, because it wasn’t a good one considering the plethora of options they had. We have all these new universes introduced, and they decided to go back to an Earth-focused story again?
It was Toriyama. He said after all the battles and drama in space he wanted to do a more down-to-earth movie with lower stakes.
Kanassa wrote:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:48 pm

Saiyan Scholar said he'll quit YouTube if this gets to 1,000,000 views. Quicly, everyone! Pull out your YouTube alts so that he can actually quit the platform!
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:32 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 pmConsidering how close we are to End of Z, it would be great if the next movie was set after it. Pan played a semi-important role in this one, and she would likely also be among the leading characters in a post-EoZ one, alongside Uub. But I guess it’s still too soon for that.
To be honest I think Super Hero shows Toriyama is less likely to ever change his mind about going past EoZ. Goten and Trunks slacked off enough that they forgot how to transform and Toriyama wasn't originally going to include Gohan. If he's not interesting in developing the current younger generation, I can't see him wanting to start from scratch with Uub and Pan especially at his age. There's a year or two left before EoZ so they can fit a few more stories. I think it's more likely that Toriyama would rather retire by then since he'll be over 70 than make a sequel.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:05 pm

Toriyama's illustrations

Piccolo's house:

Penenko:

Source: https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1174.html
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:20 am

Skar wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:32 pm
emperior wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 pmConsidering how close we are to End of Z, it would be great if the next movie was set after it. Pan played a semi-important role in this one, and she would likely also be among the leading characters in a post-EoZ one, alongside Uub. But I guess it’s still too soon for that.
To be honest I think Super Hero shows Toriyama is less likely to ever change his mind about going past EoZ. Goten and Trunks slacked off enough that they forgot how to transform and Toriyama wasn't originally going to include Gohan. If he's not interesting in developing the current younger generation, I can't see him wanting to start from scratch with Uub and Pan especially at his age. There's a year or two left before EoZ so they can fit a few more stories. I think it's more likely that Toriyama would rather retire by then since he'll be over 70 than make a sequel.
That hardly matters when he's largely following the whims of his editors for the past two films and that probably isn't changing any time soon. These are collaborative efforts, not just Toriyama doing everything or making every major decision.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:28 am

emperior wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 pm Hopefully Piccolo and Gohan (and Pan too) will play important roles alongside Goku and Vegeta in future stories, or else this story would be quite inconsequential.
I think it's mostly a way to keep them in the mix and relevant. It's been kinda odd seeing them both keep up with "god tier" fighters while still being more or less identical to how they were in DBZ. Not that I'm complaining, I enjoyed Piccolo's slow burn to prominence despite not having a transformation and I loved the idea that Gohan didn't need a transformation to be one of the strongest characters but I kinda like these red-eyes forms too.

All in all, this just solidifies their character popularity.
Considering how close we are to End of Z, it would be great if the next movie was set after it. Pan played a semi-important role in this one, and she would likely also be among the leading characters in a post-EoZ one, alongside Uub.
I think this movie did a great job with Pan. She has a similar fighting spirit to Goku but with the added adorable-ness factor. If she gets older in the story, I hope she keeps the chibi design for a while, like Goku, Goten, Krillin, and Trunks. If done right, Pan and Uub could be the future of the franchise and I wouldn't mind it one bit.
I wouldn’t mind a ToP 2 next, written by Toriyama who always wrote fun and compelling tournaments.

I was thinking this same thing when I first saw Gohan and Piccolo's new forms. I'd want the tourney to have more structure though or to have some sort of outlandish rule structure/party game element to it while still remaining deadly.
But a Sadala story would also be interesting.
I started to think the ship had sailed on this one, but now I think there's a good chance of seeing this. I really think they're listening to the fans now. Many of us have been fatigued by the Goku and Vegeta show and now we get a Piccolo and Gohan movie which makes them drastically stronger along with the aging up of Trunks and Goten.
Anything but not something set on Earth, please.
I'd be okay with Earth if the story was small scale and involved the classic series mysticism. I still want more content with the original DB cast, honestly.
Likely, Dragon Room if I read Cipher's tweet correctly. I don't mind an RR story, because its an easy and logical way to create strong antagonists (since #17, #18, and OG-73 are all still quite powerful) and it ties into past arcs and fleshes them out a little such with the inclusion of Hedo's lineage.

But yeah, I am ready to explore the multiverse, but maybe that was never in the plans.
Last edited by BWri on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-