Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:16 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:50 amThat film is either way behind schedule and Toei are trying to hold back on giving a specific release date to give the film as much production time as possible or Toei is trying to sort out a simultaneous international release date and haven't done so yet.
The optimist in me believes that it's not behind schedule at all. The Japanese cast finished recording their lines for the film in early October, which is surprisingly early for a movie considering that we haven't even gotten a release date yet. They've also already shown off footage from the film in the last teaser, which is usually a good sign. I wouldn't be surpised if back in the BoG and 'F' days they hadn't even started producing key animation for the film when they released their teasers.

I'm still predicting that this movie will release during Golden Week in Japan (late April).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:21 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:16 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:50 amThat film is either way behind schedule and Toei are trying to hold back on giving a specific release date to give the film as much production time as possible or Toei is trying to sort out a simultaneous international release date and haven't done so yet.
The optimist in me believes that it's not behind schedule at all. The Japanese cast finished recording their lines for the film in early October, which is surprisingly early for a movie considering that we haven't even gotten a release date yet. They've also already shown off footage from the film in the last teaser, which is usually a good sign. I wouldn't be surpised if back in the BoG and 'F' days they hadn't even started producing key animation for the film when they released their teasers.

I'm still predicting that this movie will release during Golden Week in Japan (late April).
If that is the plan, then Toei better release a shit load of promotional material for the movie during Jump Festa.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:09 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:50 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:20 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:57 am Super Hero will be at Jump Festa 2022. They're going to announce the voice actors for Gamma 1 and Gamma 2. I'm also predicting that this is where we'll see the first official trailer along with the main visual.
Recently ONE PICE film red announced and set to be released in august 6th 2022, so i am guessing Db movie gets the release date in jump festa.
The fact that a One Piece film was announced and with a date set for next year (in August no less) just makes me even more worried about the production of DBS Super Hero.

That film is either way behind schedule and Toei are trying to hold back on giving a specific release date to give the film as much production time as possible or Toei is trying to sort out a simultaneous international release date and haven't done so yet.

That One Piece Film Red announcement also kills the idea that Toei didn't have enough staff for a traditional 2D animated film because they clearly did and they just prioritized One Piece over Dragon Ball and had Dragon Ball be the guinea pig for their new 3D technology.

Red flags should be drawn out immediately if a release date and/or a new trailer isn't provided at Jump Festa this year.

I said the same thing yet people on her swore up and down it’s because of low staff that we got a CGI film. At this point just cancel the film there’s still enough time to backtrack and act like this never happened.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:20 am

One Piece Film Red was likely in production longer and thus the staff and resources in reserve already. Furthermore, the decision to make Super Hero with CG is likely a business decision to further increase the capabilities of their CG teams.

One Piece films being hand drawn are also likely a result of their popularity or even Oda's request. As much as I hate One Piece it's still a domestic juggernaut, so it's going to get special treatment, which will include the sacrificing of other productions.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:42 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:20 am One Piece Film Red was likely in production longer and thus the staff and resources in reserve already. Furthermore, the decision to make Super Hero with CG is likely a business decision to further increase the capabilities of their CG teams.

One Piece films being hand drawn are also likely a result of their popularity or even Oda's request. As much as I hate One Piece it's still a domestic juggernaut, so it's going to get special treatment, which will include the sacrificing of other productions.

But this movie was in production even longer so that still doesn’t make sense. Didn’t Iyoku say as soon as Broly was released they began the early work on this film since Toriyama already had the script written?

And how will this film help their CG teams if audiences say it looks like crap? Wouldn’t that be a BIG sign that maybe they arent good at it as say Ufotable or Studio Orange with CG.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:13 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:42 am And how will this film help their CG teams if audiences say it looks like crap? Wouldn’t that be a BIG sign that maybe they arent good at it as say Ufotable or Studio Orange with CG.
You can't improve without practicing first.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:16 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:42 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:20 am One Piece Film Red was likely in production longer and thus the staff and resources in reserve already. Furthermore, the decision to make Super Hero with CG is likely a business decision to further increase the capabilities of their CG teams.

But this movie was in production even longer so that still doesn’t make sense. Didn’t Iyoku say as soon as Broly was released they began the early work on this film since Toriyama already had the script written?

And how will this film help their CG teams if audiences say it looks like crap? Wouldn’t that be a BIG sign that maybe they arent good at it as say Ufotable or Studio Orange with CG.
The film hasn't been in production all that long. There don't even have battle scenes ready for preview yet.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:19 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:13 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:42 am And how will this film help their CG teams if audiences say it looks like crap? Wouldn’t that be a BIG sign that maybe they arent good at it as say Ufotable or Studio Orange with CG.
On such a big IP as this though? Wouldnt it better be served doing that type of stuff for Precure or World trigger or any of the other smaller ones. It seems your shooting yourself in the foot by gambling on an animation style you aren’t extremely familiar with.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm

I can't see this movie doing better than BoG and RoF, let alone Broly. Extremely bizarre choice for a movie after 4 years of no new content aside from videogames and the Heroes anime.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm I can't see this movie doing better than BoG and RoF, let alone Broly. Extremely bizarre choice for a movie after 4 years of no new content aside from videogames and the Heroes anime.
There's still the manga. But it's bizarre how much the content Toyotaro has been producing is seemingly flying under the radar for the likes of Toei and even Bandai.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm I can't see this movie doing better than BoG and RoF, let alone Broly. Extremely bizarre choice for a movie after 4 years of no new content aside from videogames and the Heroes anime.
There's still the manga. But it's bizarre how much the content Toyotaro has been producing is seemingly flying under the radar for the likes of Toei and even Bandai.

I feel like one or two things are happening here

1.They plan on skipping/modifying Toyotaros arcs or only deal with only the ones Toriyama writes.

2. They for some odd reason are waiting for the 40th anniversary to hit before they go all out with content. That may also be the reason why everything released as of late seems like stuff to stall for time.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:11 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:55 amThat would make an excellent OVA or short. Like the one with Vegeta's brother lol. Hell, bring along Tarble, Gure, and the Son family. Maybe toss in a gag where Piccolo and Dende rent a space car and go on vacation to U6 Namek.
Is there even much of Universe 6's Namek left? Maybe they could have used the Dragon Balls to unfuse, I guess... A population or two would be pretty empty.

If the anime ever comes back (*crosses fingers*), I could see Vegeta's trip being a mini arc, maybe about five epsidodes.

Episode 1: Family Vacation - Vegeta and family travel to Universe 6's Sadala. Once he arrives, he's greeted by Cabba, who introduces him to Sadala's King, who is remarkably similar to Vegeta in personality. He thanks Vegeta for teaching Cabba how to go Super Saiyan. Ever since then, and the Tournament of Power, Saiyans all across Sadala have been training to do the same, though few had the talent to pull it off.

Vegeta asks Cabba if he's improved since they last met. Cabba smiles and asks Vegeta to accompany him to a nearly planet, where Kale and Caulifla have been training, so he could show him how much they've all grown. To Bulma's annoyance, he accepts and flies off, leaving Bulma and the rest of the family on their own to explore. They taste the local cuisine, which is awful, so Bulma spends the day teaching the locals how to use spices to bring out the flavor, create Earth/Sadala hybrid foods. The episode ends with a group of evil Saiyans attacking.

Episode 2: Invasion of the Evil Saiyans - The Saiyans wreak havoc on the local town, challenging the king to show himself. Trunks (who finally looks his age) goes Super Saiyan and battles the invaders, taking most of them out easily. Their leader takes an interest in Trunks, but questions why the king allows a boy to fight for him, prompting the king to appear, despite his guards urging him to stay inside.

The king becomes Super Saiyan, and he accepts the leader of the invaders' challenge. The evil Saiyan transforms into Super Saiyan 2, proving himself to be too powerful for Trunks and the king. The king urges Trunks to take his family and flee, because this isn't his fight. Trunks considers this, but Bulma tells him not to give up, so he takes his fighting stance.

Episode 3: Familiar Faces - Vegeta and Cabba arrive at the planet where Kale and Caulifla have been training. They announce that they've unlocked Super Saiyan 3, and a familiar voice yells out, "Awesome! I knew you guys could do it!"

Vegeta turns, finding himself annoyed that Goku was already there, and Broly as well. Goku explains that he felt that Broly had hit a wall with his training, but he knows Broly has the potential to do better. He even tried to teach Broly about God Ki, but Broly couldn't grasp the concept. So he thought maybe if he had other powerful Saiyans to help, they could help Broly reach a higher level. The Universe 6 Saiyans have been helping them train for about a month now, but them reaching Super Saiyan 3 is new to him.

Vegeta asks if this is a wise move, given how Broly went berserk last time they fought. Goku assures him that Broly has learned to control his power. Since Kale had a similar power, she was able to teach him how to go all out without losing his mind. Vegeta still has his reservations, but he just wants to get on with the fighting, and see how strong everyone has gotten.

The Universe 6 Saiyans go Super Saiyan 3, and Broly goes regular Super Saiyan. Broly is, of course, more powerful in his base form than any of the Universe 6 fighters in their most powerful forms. Even as they gang up on his, he tosses them around like rag dolls. The only one able to hold her own is Kale.

Vegeta concludes that Broly can't grow, because there is no one strong enough to challenge him. He and Goku start talking about alternatives. Maybe they can find Jiren and convince him to fight Broly. Kale hears this and becomes enraged, feeling like she's being snubbed, and she's let down Caulifla. Her power swells as she loses control. She gains the upper hand until Broly snaps. The others watch on in horror as Broly becomes a Super Saiyan 2. Now, no one can stop him or calm him down. Goku and Vegeta try to fuse, but Broly won't give them time to do it. Goku calls everyone to him, and he uses Instant Transmission to eacape, but Broly grabs on at the last moment.

Episode 4: Sadala in Danger - Trunks and the king are still losing their battle with the invader. Once he has the two lying on the ground, the invader monologues about how the king has made his people soft. Under his leadership, the Saiyans will be the dominant force in the galaxy, and all will fear them. Trunks and the king make their final stand, combining their power into a single ki blast. The invader deflects the blast, sending it towards Bulma and Bra. Thinking his mother and sister are dead, Trunks transforms into Super Saiyan 2. Trunks and the invader fight on equal ground now, but the king's support allows Trunks to come out on top and win the battle. Just before the king can deal the killing blow, sentencing the evil Saiyan for treason, Bulma and Bra climb out of the rubble. One of the underlings of the evil Saiyan grabs them, threatening to kill them if Trunks and the king didn't surrender. Bra kicks the underling between the legs, causing him to drop down in pain. Bulma laughs, saying Vegeta would be proud. Just then, Goku and the others teleport to Sadala, bring Broly with them.

Episode 5: Planet VS Broly - Once Broly arrives on Sadala, it's complete chaos. Every capable warrior, including the invaders, gangs up on Broly, who laugings maniacally as he effortlessly throws them all off. Weaker fighters are vaporized instantly. The king asks the invader why he's helping. He scoffs at the king. There's no point in conquering Sadala, if there is no Salada left to rule.

Goku and Vegeta create some distance so they can fuse into Gogeta. However, even Gogeta Blue seems to be outmatched. After a few minutes, Gogeta closes his eyes and goes Ultra Instinct. After a brief battle, Gogeta knocks Broly out cold and unfuses.

With the battle over, the good guys discuss what to do with the invaders. Vegeta remarks that the leader reminds him of a younger version of himself, and he suggests letting him live. Having a powerful enemy like him will keep Salada from going soft. Goku teases Vegeta, asking if he's starting to rub off on him.

Broly twitches, causing everyone to jump. But Broly goes quiet again. Goku looks at the Universe 6 Saiyans.

"Well, that was fun. Same time next week?"

Vegeta: "Kakaroooot!"

Transition to Universe 6's Namek.

Piccolo: "Sure is quiet here, huh?"

Dende: "Yeah..."

"I hope Vegeta's having more fun on his vacation."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:14 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:10 pm

I feel like one or two things are happening here

1.They plan on skipping/modifying Toyotaros arcs or only deal with only the ones Toriyama writes.

2. They for some odd reason are waiting for the 40th anniversary to hit before they go all out with content. That may also be the reason why everything released as of late seems like stuff to stall for time.
Nothing was done to celebrate the 30th or 20th anniversary of the manga, so I doubt anything will be done for the 40th.

I think it all has to do with branding. In the eyes of Toei and Bandai, Toyotaro is most likely seen as not enough of an established name to have his content advertised as much as Toriyama.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:27 pm

I spent way too long writing that last post. lol

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:56 pm

It's not animated content. When it comes to Super, the animated version was always the iconic and popular one.

Which is why I don't see them including any element from the Moro or Granolah arc in this movie at all.

I don't even think Goku will use UI against Broly in their training session, since Goku couldn't activate UI at will at the end of the ToP arc, and obviously Ultra Instinct was not featured in Broly.

Either way, it's not a coincidence and is hardly surprising that neither videogames nor merchandise care about the Manga-only arcs.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:10 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:19 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:13 pm
On such a big IP as this though? Wouldnt it better be served doing that type of stuff for Precure or World trigger or any of the other smaller ones. It seems your shooting yourself in the foot by gambling on an animation style you aren’t extremely familiar with.
Toriyama was literally messing around and experimenting and practicing throughout production of the original comic. The staff of the original three cartoons were also experimenting and messing around in each episode.
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:19 pm

I don’t know why anime films even bother with CGI. The majority of them don’t seem to have the budget necessary to make that look good. The CGI in BoG and RF are absolutely atrocious.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:19 pm I don’t know why anime films even bother with CGI. The majority of them don’t seem to have the budget necessary to make that look good. The CGI in BoG and RF are absolutely atrocious.
Japanese animation companies employ CG for artistic (Pocket Monster XY) and time-saving reasons (a director wants a crowd to move but doesn't have the time or 2D animators available to animate the crowd). Furthermore, some producers want to appeal to foreign audiences and be on the cutting-edge.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:33 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:19 pm I don’t know why anime films even bother with CGI. The majority of them don’t seem to have the budget necessary to make that look good. The CGI in BoG and RF are absolutely atrocious.
I don’t think it’s a budget issue most of the time it’s a talent & time issue.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:35 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:11 pm
Peach wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:55 amThat would make an excellent OVA or short. Like the one with Vegeta's brother lol. Hell, bring along Tarble, Gure, and the Son family. Maybe toss in a gag where Piccolo and Dende rent a space car and go on vacation to U6 Namek.
Is there even much of Universe 6's Namek left? Maybe they could have used the Dragon Balls to unfuse, I guess... A population or two would be pretty empty.

If the anime ever comes back (*crosses fingers*), I could see Vegeta's trip being a mini arc, maybe about five epsidodes.

Episode 1: Family Vacation - Vegeta and family travel to Universe 6's Sadala. Once he arrives, he's greeted by Cabba, who introduces him to Sadala's King, who is remarkably similar to Vegeta in personality. He thanks Vegeta for teaching Cabba how to go Super Saiyan. Ever since then, and the Tournament of Power, Saiyans all across Sadala have been training to do the same, though few had the talent to pull it off.

Vegeta asks Cabba if he's improved since they last met. Cabba smiles and asks Vegeta to accompany him to a nearly planet, where Kale and Caulifla have been training, so he could show him how much they've all grown. To Bulma's annoyance, he accepts and flies off, leaving Bulma and the rest of the family on their own to explore. They taste the local cuisine, which is awful, so Bulma spends the day teaching the locals how to use spices to bring out the flavor, create Earth/Sadala hybrid foods. The episode ends with a group of evil Saiyans attacking.

Episode 2: Invasion of the Evil Saiyans - The Saiyans wreak havoc on the local town, challenging the king to show himself. Trunks (who finally looks his age) goes Super Saiyan and battles the invaders, taking most of them out easily. Their leader takes an interest in Trunks, but questions why the king allows a boy to fight for him, prompting the king to appear, despite his guards urging him to stay inside.

The king becomes Super Saiyan, and he accepts the leader of the invaders' challenge. The evil Saiyan transforms into Super Saiyan 2, proving himself to be too powerful for Trunks and the king. The king urges Trunks to take his family and flee, because this isn't his fight. Trunks considers this, but Bulma tells him not to give up, so he takes his fighting stance.

Episode 3: Familiar Faces - Vegeta and Cabba arrive at the planet where Kale and Caulifla have been training. They announce that they've unlocked Super Saiyan 3, and a familiar voice yells out, "Awesome! I knew you guys could do it!"

Vegeta turns, finding himself annoyed that Goku was already there, and Broly as well. Goku explains that he felt that Broly had hit a wall with his training, but he knows Broly has the potential to do better. He even tried to teach Broly about God Ki, but Broly couldn't grasp the concept. So he thought maybe if he had other powerful Saiyans to help, they could help Broly reach a higher level. The Universe 6 Saiyans have been helping them train for about a month now, but them reaching Super Saiyan 3 is new to him.

Vegeta asks if this is a wise move, given how Broly went berserk last time they fought. Goku assures him that Broly has learned to control his power. Since Kale had a similar power, she was able to teach him how to go all out without losing his mind. Vegeta still has his reservations, but he just wants to get on with the fighting, and see how strong everyone has gotten.

The Universe 6 Saiyans go Super Saiyan 3, and Broly goes regular Super Saiyan. Broly is, of course, more powerful in his base form than any of the Universe 6 fighters in their most powerful forms. Even as they gang up on his, he tosses them around like rag dolls. The only one able to hold her own is Kale.

Vegeta concludes that Broly can't grow, because there is no one strong enough to challenge him. He and Goku start talking about alternatives. Maybe they can find Jiren and convince him to fight Broly. Kale hears this and becomes enraged, feeling like she's being snubbed, and she's let down Caulifla. Her power swells as she loses control. She gains the upper hand until Broly snaps. The others watch on in horror as Broly becomes a Super Saiyan 2. Now, no one can stop him or calm him down. Goku and Vegeta try to fuse, but Broly won't give them time to do it. Goku calls everyone to him, and he uses Instant Transmission to eacape, but Broly grabs on at the last moment.

Episode 4: Sadala in Danger - Trunks and the king are still losing their battle with the invader. Once he has the two lying on the ground, the invader monologues about how the king has made his people soft. Under his leadership, the Saiyans will be the dominant force in the galaxy, and all will fear them. Trunks and the king make their final stand, combining their power into a single ki blast. The invader deflects the blast, sending it towards Bulma and Bra. Thinking his mother and sister are dead, Trunks transforms into Super Saiyan 2. Trunks and the invader fight on equal ground now, but the king's support allows Trunks to come out on top and win the battle. Just before the king can deal the killing blow, sentencing the evil Saiyan for treason, Bulma and Bra climb out of the rubble. One of the underlings of the evil Saiyan grabs them, threatening to kill them if Trunks and the king didn't surrender. Bra kicks the underling between the legs, causing him to drop down in pain. Bulma laughs, saying Vegeta would be proud. Just then, Goku and the others teleport to Sadala, bring Broly with them.

Episode 5: Planet VS Broly - Once Broly arrives on Sadala, it's complete chaos. Every capable warrior, including the invaders, gangs up on Broly, who laugings maniacally as he effortlessly throws them all off. Weaker fighters are vaporized instantly. The king asks the invader why he's helping. He scoffs at the king. There's no point in conquering Sadala, if there is no Salada left to rule.

Goku and Vegeta create some distance so they can fuse into Gogeta. However, even Gogeta Blue seems to be outmatched. After a few minutes, Gogeta closes his eyes and goes Ultra Instinct. After a brief battle, Gogeta knocks Broly out cold and unfuses.

With the battle over, the good guys discuss what to do with the invaders. Vegeta remarks that the leader reminds him of a younger version of himself, and he suggests letting him live. Having a powerful enemy like him will keep Salada from going soft. Goku teases Vegeta, asking if he's starting to rub off on him.

Broly twitches, causing everyone to jump. But Broly goes quiet again. Goku looks at the Universe 6 Saiyans.

"Well, that was fun. Same time next week?"

Vegeta: "Kakaroooot!"

Transition to Universe 6's Namek.

Piccolo: "Sure is quiet here, huh?"

Dende: "Yeah..."

"I hope Vegeta's having more fun on his vacation."
I don't know about a Blue Level threat. I was thinking if there was a fight at the end of Vegeta's family vacation, it would be a tuffle or Frost getting wrecked lol.

Maybe it's just me, but I really liked the tone of the Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return OVA and Battle of Gods. How it's a party/family reuniuon. I want more of that.