Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:57 pm

:oops: I don't know if it was mentioned but I didn't realize (attentional or not) this film mimics Batman V Superman.

The super hero being manipulated by the villian to take out the other heroes who are said to be evil.

The whole rain fight reminds me a lot of the rain fight in Batman V superman down to the RR signal and the shot of Gohan looking up at Gamma who is floating in the rain. Even down to having the bigger badder second option that the hero has fought before that requires a team up.

Not saying it's a rip off but I wonder it reminds me of the influence the terminator had on the android arc.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:55 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:57 pm :oops: I don't know if it was mentioned but I didn't realize (attentional or not) this film mimics Batman V Superman.

The super hero being manipulated by the villian to take out the other heroes who are said to be evil.

The whole rain fight reminds me a lot of the rain fight in Batman V superman down to the RR signal and the shot of Gohan looking up at Gamma who is floating in the rain. Even down to having the bigger badder second option that the hero has fought before that requires a team up.

Not saying it's a rip off but I wonder it reminds me of the influence the terminator had on the android arc.
Good callout! I would have never noticed that despite being a fan of both movies. The plot as you described it is basically what happens in most superhero teamups/crossovers. I think even Cyborg 009 vs Devilman was similar.

I think DBS SH took big inspiration from many superhero movies, but Avengers: Infinity War (the snap) and Batman v Superman (heroes fighting each other in the rain) must've been big inspirations.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:35 pm

BWri wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:55 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:57 pm :oops: I don't know if it was mentioned but I didn't realize (attentional or not) this film mimics Batman V Superman.

Good callout! I would have never noticed that despite being a fan of both movies. The plot as you described it is basically what happens in most superhero teamups/crossovers. I think even Cyborg 009 vs Devilman was similar.

I think DBS SH took big inspiration from many superhero movies, but Avengers: Infinity War (the snap) and Batman v Superman (heroes fighting each other in the rain) must've been big inspirations.
Good point! I am not much into the MCU films so I wonder if there are any callbacks/inspirations in Super Hero to MCU films?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:30 pm

The post-credit scene in Super Hero was so MCU.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:03 am

Nah, if it were the MCU, there'd be tons more quips and a sequel building post credits scene.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:08 pm

It seems with the secondary characters like Gohan and Piccolo getting power ups, Toriyama is setting up a tournament arc. If this is the case I hope he writes the whole scenario out himself. The whole tournament plot is a movie version. Toyotaro and TOEI already showed their versions based on Toriyama's outline.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:53 am

New illustration for the Blu-ray Special Limited Edition:

It was done by the movie director Tetsuro Kodama.
The rest of content is listed here: https://www.toei-video.co.jp/special/dr ... fullbonus/
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:26 am

Japanese UHD and bluray steelbook release now available for preorder. Looks like deluxe package is amazon japan exclusive. I'd buy the one without the phone case.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0BC1KW4MY/ ... _b_5_mob_t
The world is your's.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:12 am

tinlunlau wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:26 am Japanese UHD and bluray steelbook release now available for preorder. Looks like deluxe package is amazon japan exclusive. I'd buy the one without the phone case.

I wonder if the U.S will get a phone case in some store exclusive.That gag seemed to have landed pretty well here

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:48 am

Goku thinking that Vegeta is being lazy and would get rusty, due to Vegeta meditating is a huge contradiction. Goku even calls Vegeta a fibber. I don't know why DBS always makes Goku look like a brainless character, when that wasn't the case in DB.

Goku did meditation in these instance and knows how good meditation was:

Mr Popo training.
In the ROSAT with Gohan.
In Otherworld.
In DBS anime and manga.

Goku even calls Vegeta a genius for standing still for a couple of days.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:20 pm

super michael wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:48 am Goku thinking that Vegeta is being lazy and would get rusty, due to Vegeta meditating is a huge contradiction. Goku even calls Vegeta a fibber. I don't know why DBS always makes Goku look like a brainless character, when that wasn't the case in DB.

Goku did meditation in these instance and knows how good meditation was:

Mr Popo training.
In the ROSAT with Gohan.
In Otherworld.
In DBS anime and manga.

Goku even calls Vegeta a genius for standing still for a couple of days.
Honestly, everything about the characterisation of Goku in the movie was so... off. Like, the kind of characterisation Goku got in the movie was the king of character writing I would expect from Toei or Toyotaro, but for it to come directly from Toriyama was quite bewildering. I can only assume that Toriyama just wasn't that interested in putting as much thought and effort into writing for Goku as he was for Piccolo, Pan or even Gohan for the movie.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:20 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:12 am
tinlunlau wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:26 am Japanese UHD and bluray steelbook release now available for preorder. Looks like deluxe package is amazon japan exclusive. I'd buy the one without the phone case.

I wonder if the U.S will get a phone case in some store exclusive.That gag seemed to have landed pretty well here
Funny how they don't mention what phone this phone case is for.
The world is your's.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:22 am

Miracles wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:08 pm It seems with the secondary characters like Gohan and Piccolo getting power ups, Toriyama is setting up a tournament arc. If this is the case I hope he writes the whole scenario out himself. The whole tournament plot is a movie version. Toyotaro and TOEI already showed their versions based on Toriyama's outline.
I honestly wanted a movie version of the U6 tournament. Out of Super's 1st 3 arcs, that one stands out as the one that should've been a movie.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:44 am

BWri wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:22 am
Miracles wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:08 pm It seems with the secondary characters like Gohan and Piccolo getting power ups, Toriyama is setting up a tournament arc. If this is the case I hope he writes the whole scenario out himself. The whole tournament plot is a movie version. Toyotaro and TOEI already showed their versions based on Toriyama's outline.
I honestly wanted a movie version of the U6 tournament. Out of Super's 1st 3 arcs, that one stands out as the one that should've been a movie.
If we take the past two Super Movies as a build-up for something, I hope it's not a tournament. We already got two in Super and even tho I was happy, as I always missed a proper tournaments in Z after DB, I would love to see something else.
The series already ended with tournament in similar fashion to DB, hence I except the next movie going somewhere more original and put on some grand scale.

Another reason is that past tournaments are less about skill and more about power-ups. How can one ring hold Beast Gohan, Orange Piccolo, Ultra Instinct Goku and Super Ultimate Broken-Limit Blue Vegeta against even or way stronger opponent without insane destruction is beyond me. At least at TOP, it was explained that Zeno and co. made the ring sturdy enough, that it's hard even for Gods of Destruction to break. I buy it, cool. But here we have bunch of people, who can destroy countless planets on a whim.

I am up for some serious threat, that has to be resolved through an adventure of guts and wit and some skilled fighting, than "I am crap now in my base form, but let me stand a bit, whirl some Ki and I will change color or some spikes will grow from my back and I will be punching and shooting ki balls thousands of times stronger!"

Broly's premise was kind of stupid if it was handled by the team of first 100 episodes of Super, but the art direction and choreography sold it as a visual spectacle and with Goku and Vegeta going creatively and skillfully against a sheer brutal force (without em being whining punching bags for the whole 8th movie). I liked the movies as kid, visually, it looks on point of the best they could do during the Cell arc, but watch it now. During my recent re-run, it is really just the heroes doing nothing but getting mindlessly wrecked and it's painful and boring to watch.

Super Hero got me on 3D being handled well on 98% and the story with humor, slice of life... The fights compared to Broly were just there, but they were serving the story in the end.

I had fun with the last two movies, maybe not as much as with Battle Of Gods, but they were solid in their own terms.
I hope they will at least keep up with possible third one.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:42 pm

Being six months after this movie release, do we have any idea how it compares to Broly? Box office and stuff...
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:30 pm The post-credit scene in Super Hero was so MCU.
You mean just that? Hell, just check my last page review I thought anyone saw how much inspiration this movie took from Marvel movies.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:43 pm

Noah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:42 pm Being six months after this movie release, do we have any idea how it compares to Broly? Box office and stuff...
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:30 pm The post-credit scene in Super Hero was so MCU.
You mean just that? Hell, just check my last page review I thought anyone saw how much inspiration this movie took from Marvel movies.
Yes, on this very forum :
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47338

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:03 am

Didn't know that the MCU invented the end credit scene, makes sense, they also created the original character Thor.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Here is a question, was it Toei or Toriyama who wrote what Goku said in the movie? I always assumed it was Toei, since Toei can't get enough of Goku being dumb and clueles, even going as far as contradicting DB which was written by Toriyama.

However I heard Toriyama is the only one that wrote the movie.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:23 pm

super michael wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:56 pm Here is a question, was it Toei or Toriyama who wrote what Goku said in the movie? I always assumed it was Toei, since Toei can't get enough of Goku being dumb and clueles, even going as far as contradicting DB which was written by Toriyama.

The script is Toriyama’s. No reason to assume Goku’s dialogue isn’t too, except for wishful thinking on the part of fans.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 am

Cipher wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:23 pm
super michael wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:56 pm Here is a question, was it Toei or Toriyama who wrote what Goku said in the movie? I always assumed it was Toei, since Toei can't get enough of Goku being dumb and clueles, even going as far as contradicting DB which was written by Toriyama.

The script is Toriyama’s. No reason to assume Goku’s dialogue isn’t too, except for wishful thinking on the part of fans.
I understand thanks for the answer.

It is hard to believe Toriyama doesn't know his own character, he contradicted how Goku acts when it comes to meditation.

Goku can't remember the times meditation was useful in DB, which is written by Toriyama himself. Even in DBS anime and manga, even if Toriyama only give outline.