Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 pm

I can’t see this making as much as Broly, since that movie was all about fanservice and flashy action, while this is supposedly going to be a more laidback movie that gives some focus to Pan.

As a side note, looking at the top grossing anime films of all time on Wikipedia, it looks like Broly isn’t even in the top 10, which is interesting to me. If nothing else, it at least seems to be the highest grossing film from Toei, but that seems to largely be thanks to how big it was in the U.S.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:40 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 pm I can’t see this making as much as Broly, since that movie was all about fanservice and flashy action, while this is supposedly going to be a more laidback movie that gives some focus to Pan.

As a side note, looking at the top grossing anime films of all time on Wikipedia, it looks like Broly isn’t even in the top 10, which is interesting to me. If nothing else, it at least seems to be the highest grossing film from Toei, but that seems to largely be thanks to how big it was in the U.S.
Franchise films like Dragon Ball are typically a harder sell because they require foreknowledge of previous works. Your Shinkais and your Ghibli's are easier to follow as a result.

Personally, if anyone deserves to be in the Top 10 and isn't it's Koe no Katachi and Liz to Aoi Tori, both directed by Yamada Naoko. Those are genius films and while the latter is a franchise film it's at least relatively easy to understand and get into thanks to the directing reintroducing the characters.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:06 pm

The only reason I want this movie to possibly fail has nothing to do CGI or anything. It has everything to do with Pan possibly getting a main role if not the starring role. I don't like this character, and I don't like the younger generation. Those fans who want Vegeta and my god even Goku out of the way aren't real DB fans in my eyes anyway.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 pm

Retan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:06 pm The only reason I want this movie to possibly fail has nothing to do CGI or anything. It has everything to do with Pan possibly getting a main role if not the starring role. I don't like this character, and I don't like the younger generation. Those fans who want Vegeta and my god even Goku out of the way aren't real DB fans in my eyes anyway.
You felt so strongly about this that you were able to break through your temporary ban :o

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:23 pm

Retan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:06 pm The only reason I want this movie to possibly fail has nothing to do CGI or anything. It has everything to do with Pan possibly getting a main role if not the starring role. I don't like this character, and I don't like the younger generation. Those fans who want Vegeta and my god even Goku out of the way aren't real DB fans in my eyes anyway.

Every day I am reminded that I don't really take cartoons as seriously as I think I do.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:33 pm

I'm a bad person now because I don't like a character... Lol Try looking in the mirror next time thanks

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 pm

Retan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:33 pm I'm a bad person now because I don't like a character... Lol Try looking in the mirror next time thanks
No, you get the meme image because you're assing to call other people "Not real fans" for liking characters you don't like.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 pm

Every db fan is free to have their preference of having a favorite character that isn't goku or vegeta, I'm not saying I don't like them I do but we've seen so much with them it's getting old they should also give some shine to other characters who are not goku or vegeta also I'm not saying don't keep them in the movie I'm saying keep them around but give others who are not goku or vegeta some character development, and your the most ignorant and stupid person if you think any fan who doesn't like goku or vegeta is not a real fan an opinion that is way too arrogant.
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 pm

It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:00 pm

Ssgvegito30 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 pm
Every db fan is free to have their preference of having a favorite character that isn't goku or vegeta, I'm not saying I don't like them I do but we've seen so much with them it's getting old they should also give some shine to other characters who are not goku or vegeta also I'm not saying don't keep them in the movie I'm saying keep them around but give others who are not goku or vegeta some character development, and your the most ignorant and stupid person if you think any fan who doesn't like goku or vegeta is not a real fan an opinion that is way too arrogant.
Then they need to end this series

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 pm

Believe what you want but don't come here and give your dumbass opinion about others who don't share the same character preference as you
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 pm

I don't care if others have other character preferences, that's why I like this series theres a lot of characters and everyone has there favorites, but calling people dumbasses and asses because they don't believe said characters deserve or need there own movies is really sad.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 pm

Retan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 pm I don't care if others have other character preferences, that's why I like this series theres a lot of characters and everyone has there favorites, but calling people dumbasses and asses because they don't believe said characters deserve or need there own movies is really sad.
Sweetie, you're the one who decided to be make things personal by attacking other peoples' fandoms.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:22 pm

Lol I'm sorry but I watch Dragon ball for what it is, not what I fantasize it was

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:23 am

Chuquita wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:51 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:43 pm
Chuquita wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:25 pm The Brolli movie performed amazingly well, but they didn't apply that art style to everything that came after it. Heroes still looks like Yamamuro. General DB promo art still has a variety of art styles.

Yes, but there is a huge cost difference between using different 2D-styles and -animators and developping full-blown CGI-animation for all the figures, if that were truely the case, which we only assume at this point.
They'll need to invest seriously in reprogramming Toriyamas world into 3D (new staff, apply new technology ...).
There seems little return of investment to put all that effort into that for just one movie.
It makes more sense as a long term project.
I'll always prefer 2D animation and that's partly because that's what I grew up with, partly because I love the way talented animators can make their drawings move with that squash and stretch fluidity where most cgi leans into realistic physics, and because of how accessible and affordable it is to a young kid. Any kid can ask their parents for paper and a pencil, you need a decent amount of $ to buy the software and hardware to make your own cgi cartoon.

Finally, and I know this was already talked about in Ajay's video, when you use 3D models you lose some of the individuality of the artists who create each cut. Yeah the Brolli movie had a bunch of scenes where the art style shifted, but I love that and it's part of the charm for me.
You put my thoughts out beautifully. Well written. That's why I love 2D anime so much!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:09 am

Whether you like it or not, technology evolves anyway. And even if it's CGI, there still will be working a lot of talented artists on the movie to make the aesthetics look right. At the end 2D or 3D for me is not really the most important, it's the visual end result that matters the most.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:36 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:09 am Whether you like it or not, technology evolves anyway.
I know. I just hope there will always be anime made in mostly 2D. If not, I'm not sure I will continue to watch anime. It just doesn't appeal to me. Thankfully there's manga and I doubt that will stop to be produced just like that.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:14 am

omaro34 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 pm
Gt91 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:21 am Little details about Piccolo

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_370.html
Piccolo fans: Don’t get your hopes up about him getting a power boost or doing anything of significance in the movie. We’ve been fooled before, don’t fall for it again.
I know but never say never! Same for Gohan :thumbup:

The Golden God

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by The Golden God » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:28 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:16 pm I bet they are adapting the Moro arc into a movie.
Would make sense because the Moro arc was written as if it were a movie. Goku and Vegeta set off on a new adventure, they encounter new villain right off the bat, a rat race ensues with Moro going after the Dragon Balls, he achieves his full power, Goku and Vegeta defeated and go off to train, Moro’s minions attack Earth and give the side characters their opportunity to be useful, Goku arrives and we enter the climax, big twist, Goku transforms, final battle, epilogue to set up next adventure.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:44 am

The Golden God wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:28 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:16 pm I bet they are adapting the Moro arc into a movie.
Would make sense because the Moro arc was written as if it were a movie. Goku and Vegeta set off on a new adventure, they encounter new villain right off the bat, a rat race ensues with Moro going after the Dragon Balls, he achieves his full power, Goku and Vegeta defeated and go off to train, Moro’s minions attack Earth and give the side characters their opportunity to be useful, Goku arrives and we enter the climax, big twist, Goku transforms, final battle, epilogue to set up next adventure.
Doesn't make sense with what's been said and shown so far.