Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 am

So it's confirmed Piccolo is now on par with Goku and Vegeta? That's awesome, I've been wanting that to happen for a long time.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:04 am

TheMikado wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:52 pm Ok so I’m just here because I read all the online spoilers and I’m want to see how we’re justifying this now.

I’m REALLY disappointed to see what’s happened to the franchise.

Are we sure we aren’t being actively trollled at this point?
I kinda felt the same way when I first read the spoilers, but after watching the movie I ended up really liking it. It's very light hearted and fun, and while the fight scenes at the end with the new transformations do feel intense and serious, there's also this sense about it that the movie isn't taking itself too serious, and that the over the top transformations are meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:50 am

So is the movie canon or not? Because without the moro and granolah arc this feels really out of pace

or if this is canon, is the manga non canon now?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:04 am

DSB wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:50 am So is the movie canon or not? Because without the moro and granolah arc this feels really out of pace

Both are canon. The same way both the anime and manga are canon.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:49 am

I love Toriyama's description of Orange Piccolo and the reasoning behind.
It's actually something that I missed as a kid. Saiyans had the advantage with Super Saiyan forms and their heritage and everyone else hit the wall and stayed behind and somehow, you could only rival them with cyborgs and androids, unless you were alien or a demon.
I liked the story and characters, but missed the others a bit and cheered for ROF and that cool fight against the Freeza forces, at least something (old heroes fighting against grunts...).

But his explanation on naming is kinda dumb, as going by the DB Super so far, everyone is bad at naming things. Or maybe, it is Toriyama's lazy/simple concept scheme. Blue, Rosé, Golden, Orange.
On the other hand, Gohan being a Saiyan prodigy and having a beast form is kinda cool.
And finally, we got a proper name. I was never fan of indulging into memes for a long time past it's short fun span and was already tired from all those Gohan Blancos and El Grande Padres.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:25 am

I don't know why they refrain from showing Toriyama's original designs with his commentaries. They did the same thing with the last film. To this day we don't have any of Toriyama's designs for that movie.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:33 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:25 am I don't know why they refrain from showing Toriyama's original designs with his commentaries. They did the same thing with the last film. To this day we don't have any of Toriyama's designs for that movie.
Which movies? Actually, I saw 3 designs/concept art for this movie coming from him with his signature on twitter.
Battle Of Gods, ROF also shown designs from him. I don't remember if I saw designs for Broly tho.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:55 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:33 amWhich movies?
Broly.
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:33 amActually, I saw 3 designs/concept art for this movie coming from him with his signature on twitter.
I meant to show them properly, isolated and with the commentary. Not in the middle of an ad with a watermark like this:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:01 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:04 am
DSB wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:50 am So is the movie canon or not? Because without the moro and granolah arc this feels really out of pace

I think this person is saying is this chronologically in the same universe. I.e.

Things happen in the manga and not the anime and vice versa. Is it it’s own continuity or in one of the existing continuities?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:18 pm This movie already sounds better than the current arc in the manga if you ask me.
To be fair that’s a pretty low bar, since the current manga arc is painfully boring, with absolutely nothing interesting at all going on. But I agree this movie does at least look fun, beyond the ridiculously stupid new forms.

Also, not saying this to you directly but Didn’t want to double post.

Beast Gohan honestly sounds like something a thirteen year old would come up with. It’s so bad lol. Final Gohan was stupid too but it at least had a ring to it. And toriyama’s art of Gohan just makes it even more glaring how stupid it looks.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:27 am

TheMikado wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:01 am
mute_proxy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:04 am

I think this person is saying is this chronologically in the same universe. I.e.

Things happen in the manga and not the anime and vice versa. Is it it’s own continuity or in one of the existing continuities?
Oh,

-then it happens after Granolah in the manga since Pan is a baby and Trunks and Goten are kids in Moro arc, and Granloah is a few months later (we'll more than likely get a two page nod for the movie events after the arc, like with Broly),

-after Broly in the movie (though a lot of things could've happened between Broly and this movie (Moro and Granloah), those things were just not mentioned (or thought out yet in the writing stages of the movie)),

-and when the anime returns, it's more than likely gonna be after Granolah too.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 amAnd toriyama’s art of Gohan just makes it even more glaring how stupid it looks.
What art?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 amAnd toriyama’s art of Gohan just makes it even more glaring how stupid it looks.
What art?
I think he thinks this 3D render is Toriyama's drawing: https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1541 ... 48/photo/1

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:38 am

Beast Mode Gohan is hilarious. I'm only disappointed he doesn't also have the scary face and pale/blue skin that Toriyama had originally considered.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:45 am

And no one the fuck knows what Super Saiyan Rage actially is with Trunks.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:56 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 am
Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 am
What art?
I think he thinks this 3D render is Toriyama's drawing: https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1541 ... 48/photo/1
Yeah that! My bad.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:35 am

Zelvin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:06 pm
I just can't. I have no excitement for this whatsoever. And it makes me feel depressed to see people so overjoyed with such mediocrity. Maybe it's just because I'm part of the older crowd, but I don't feel like series is going in a meaningful direction. In fact it feels like it's going in circles and someone just keeps adding new color palettes.
If this is how you really feel then move on to another series that you can enjoy. Don't strain your mind like this over fiction and the people who enjoy fiction since its making you depressed. After all they're just drawings on a screen or paper. There will always be people who will like it and there will always be people who will dislike it. No harm in that. So you shouldn't care about this stuff. Just try to enjoy something that gives you comfort.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 am

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 pm Not that it'd be impossible to use Saiyaman, but with the way they structured the plot, it'd be out of place.
Then restructure the plot to work him in. That's something that could have been done when the story was being developed. It's not like what we got was the only way it could have turned out.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:35 pm

I love that Toriyama gives no proper explanation for his forms as well now... He learned a lot from the anime team and Super Saiyan Rage Trunks.

Beast Gohan....come on. What's next?

Say what you want about GT... But at least it tried to give a story to the new form as DBZ did and actually ecplained it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:46 pm

I do think Cell Max is the lamest character that we had in a while. I put him on the same tier as Super 17, Bio Broly, Hatchiyack, Cumber, Qī Xīng Lóng, and Agnilasa as the bottom tier characters for me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/