Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Trouser » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:17 am

I've finally get to see the movie and I have to say that animation is beautiful. The designs are CRAP. The soundtrack is very mediocre.

Slice of life stuff is the best. The final fight looks amazing but those crappy designs are taking away the fun.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:08 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:15 amI think the idea behind Cell Max would have been one thing if it wasn't related to Cell at all but it is.
It's not even the same Cell though. It's a different character. I feel like your complaints would hold more weight if this was meant to be the original Cell, but it clearly isn't.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:33 am

Majin Buu wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:08 am It's not even the same Cell though. It's a different character.
It is technically but a lot of fans aren't going to see it that way. They're still not going to like what they did with him because he will naturally be compared to the other Cell.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:40 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:15 am I'm all for a new take just so long as it's a good take.

I think the idea behind Cell Max would have been one thing if it wasn't related to Cell at all but it is.

Taking a popular villain, redoing him with his worst appearance and making it a Kaiju is not something I think fans would have wanted from a Cell.

Again what they could have done is have a human sized Red Perfect Cell that was void of personality and didn't speak because it wasn't complete due to being released early.

Gohan could have defeated it but not killed it and then Bulma and Dr Gero could have got ahold of and completed it themselves, incorporating the heroic traits of the sacrificed Gamma 2 and thus making Cell a protagonist from that point on.
That wasn’t going to happen because Cell isn’t that popular in Japan. He constantly ranks among the least popular villains in polls.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jmass97
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jmass97 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:56 pm Gohan Blanco is dead!

It's Gohan Plata!!! Novel confirms it. Hair is silver and not white;
Proof? Do you have a link to the page or anything? I ask because I’d prefer his hair to actually be white. In the film it appears white but the shading/effects make it appear more gray/silver. His eyebrows are clearly white though which is why it seems like his hair is in fact white.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:26 pm

HeroR wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:40 amThat wasn’t going to happen because Cell isn’t that popular in Japan. He constantly ranks among the least popular villains in polls.
Perhaps but that's not the case in the west.

This is an international franchise. Broly made 70% of its money outside of Japan. There comes a time when you gotta take that into consideration too.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:40 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:26 pm
HeroR wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:40 amThat wasn’t going to happen because Cell isn’t that popular in Japan. He constantly ranks among the least popular villains in polls.
Perhaps but that's not the case in the west.

This is an international franchise. Broly made 70% of its money outside of Japan. There comes a time when you gotta take that into consideration too.
Dragon Ball is made with Japan in mind first and foremost. The international audience is secondary. Why do you think we’re getting this movie two months later.

And Toriyama himself had shown he doesn’t write with the international audience in mind because he used second form Cell because that’s his favorite form of Cell. Heck, he was going to write a move that starred Piccolo.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:58 pm

Well that's why like I said, they need to get out of that mindset. Broly made almost as much in US as it did in Japan. Super Hero could possibly make more in US.

This ain't your typical anime, this is a worldwide success and has been for a couple decades now. Maybe Cell isn't so popular in Japan but he is in the West so they gotta take things like that into account because the movie will get flack for how Cell Max was done.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:08 pm

It is kinda similar to Bio Broly, as that isn't the Broly as well, they just cloned him and he mutated when got into contact with some biological muckus.

So I can see fans rambling, that having a classic Cell is better than a not-Cell mindless kaiju monster.

But I understand them going for creating something simmilar to Cell, rather than some new designed mutant, as at least it has the resemblance.
Personally, I am kind of fatigued with all these new designs going from Super and in comparison to Bio Broly, this movie and even the monster are way more fun and way more cool.
I remember enjoying Bio Broly for Trunks, Goten and Krillin teaming up, but the movie itself was kind of boring and Bio Broly as a monster was really bad.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:53 pm

Reusing Cell's design for a lame mindless kaiju that had nothing to do with Cell just because this was a movie starring Gohan felt unnecessary and uninspired. The whole execution was just so bad. No PTSD from Gohan or anything from seeing "Cell." They did nothing with it.

Hirudegarn was so much better in every single way.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:09 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:58 pm Well that's why like I said, they need to get out of that mindset. Broly made almost as much in US as it did in Japan. Super Hero could possibly make more in US.

This ain't your typical anime, this is a worldwide success and has been for a couple decades now. Maybe Cell isn't so popular in Japan but he is in the West so they gotta take things like that into account because the movie will get flack for how Cell Max was done.
No they don't

If they wanted to take the international audience into account, they would have. Broly shows that. It's not necessary to do that for every film going forward.

They made the film they wanted to make. It just wasn't to your tastes.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:19 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:53 pm Reusing Cell's design for a lame mindless kaiju that had nothing to do with Cell just because this was a movie starring Gohan felt unnecessary and uninspired. The whole execution was just so bad. No PTSD from Gohan or anything from seeing "Cell." They did nothing with it.

Hirudegarn was so much better in every single way.
Hirudegarn was really cool as a monster because he had the lore behind him, and even a transformation that still remained giant (usually 2nd forms of giants tend to become human-sized like Janemba). And overall seeing just his legs rampage was pretty scary, the atmosphere of that movie was so nice.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:36 pm

Finally saw the movie with subs and it was great. I do agree with some people that the Beerus’s planet stuff felt a little weird and out of place, while also looking visually worse than the rest of the film, but everything else I was on board with. Because of the nature of how most of us got to watch the movie, the sound quality wasn’t that good, so I’ll have to wait and see it in theaters before I can judge the OST properly. That being said, the action, character interactions, and overall plotline of the movie were all better than I expected.

This movie surpasses DBS Broly in many ways. Broly will always be visually the best looking film we’ve ever gotten, but this movie is more engaging with its characters and plot. Genuinely enjoyed my time with it.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:16 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:09 pmNo they don't
Of course they do. It's the movie business, they're in it to make money. Every single one is all about making money. They care to release the movie in dozens of other countries so they should care.

The movies been a box office disappointment in the country that it was made for. It's going to be up to the international markets to salvage it.

I like the movie just fine. I just they made a big mistake with the portrayal of Cell Max.

It would have been very easy to make one that would have appealed to fans a vast amount more than what we got. Cell Max will never be popular. He could have been though.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:16 pm
Majin Buu wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:09 pmNo they don't
Of course they do. It's the movie business, they're in it to make money. Every single one is all about making money. They care to release the movie in dozens of other countries so they should care.

The movies been a box office disappointment in the country that it was made for. It's going to be up to the international markets to salvage it.

I like the movie just fine. I just they made a big mistake with the portrayal of Cell Max.

It would have been very easy to make one that would have appealed to fans a vast amount more than what we got. Cell Max will never be popular. He could have been though.
Seems to me that's more an issue with the lack of marketing than not tailoring it to foreign markets.

But even then, not every movie needs to be a Broly level event anyway. They stated that they wanted to do something different from Broly with the next film so it making less money than Broly was always in the cards given they weren't going to make DBS Broly 2.

Plus it's entirely possible that had they made Broly 2, it would have seen diminishing returns.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:57 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:46 pmBut even then, not every movie needs to be a Broly level event anyway.
Doesn't it though? I'd say the biggest events should be saved for the movies. We only get one every 3 or 4 years. The thing people love more than anything with this series are the big battles and the spectacle. Where else better to see that but in a movie on the big screen?

These fights cost money and they'll only do that with a movie.

The lower stakes and almost slice of life nature that they were marketing here sticks out compared to the last few.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:34 pm

Jmass97 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm

Proof? Do you have a link to the page or anything? I ask because I’d prefer his hair to actually be white. In the film it appears white but the shading/effects make it appear more gray/silver. His eyebrows are clearly white though which is why it seems like his hair is in fact white.
The novel uses "銀色の長い髪" (Long silver hair) to describe Gohan's hair. But of course, take that with a grain of salt.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:45 am

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:16 pm Does anyone else think that the voices of Whis and Broly were sounding kinda weird in this movie?
Beerus sounded the same as usual for Me, Whis, his voice was higher pitched than usual, and his hyperactive moments sounded like he was faking it, even though he's clearly not meant to be faking it, save for the final scene (Where he looks bored with how long Goku's and Vegeta's fight lasted).

Either way, I watched the movie and, it's boring.

Its biggest saving graces are Pan's and Piccolo's interactions, Pan herself is adorable, which's weird for me to say since I don't tend to care about kid characters, and Pan's usually kinda annoying, but she's fun here.

The animation is generally pretty meh, it's not terrible, but not impressive either, for whatever reason it looks worse on Beerus' planet.

Gammas and Hedo are alright, rest of Red Ribbon are kinda whatever, Cell Max is garbage.

The movie also recycled a bunch of gags and moments from DB and DBZ, one of the most blatant ones was fat Gotenks headbutting Cell Max, a similar joke was used with Super Boo, and Gohan going Blanco is such a blatant SS2 callback they might as well have shown flashbacks to it, specially since the movie liked to show a bunch of flashbacks with better animation lol.

Also this movie might have the most forgettable DB soundtrack I've heard, can't remember a single track from it soon after watching it, no memorable tracks, good or bad.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:35 pm

Finally saw the the movie with subs. This movie is trash.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:34 pm
Jmass97 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm

The novel uses "銀色の長い髪" (Long silver hair) to describe Gohan's hair. But of course, take that with a grain of salt.
It's silver. There is no doubt on this one.