Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat May 08, 2021 11:03 pm

We'll probably see some kind of visual in a few months. A teaser trailer along with a teaser poster. Broly got announced as "Dragon Ball Super Movie" in December 2017. We didn't get a teaser trailer and staff credits until around March 2018. Then we got the title, poster and first trailer in June. Judging by that, we might get info drops every 3 months for this new movie starting from now. I'm still predicting that it'll release during Golden Week next year.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:42 pm

Hmm it's going to be interesting seeing what this new movie does, i mean DBS: Broly was decent overall so i'm excited to see what they come up with for next year.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 09, 2021 12:42 am

Press release from Toei.

"Planning for the new film project was kicked-off in 2018, before the release of “Dragon Ball Super: Broly,” with the goal of telling a large-scale story that would build on the enthusiastic response for the previous theatrical series and the current global fervor for “Broly.” Akira Toriyama himself has picked up his pen to deliver a fascinating story that fans desire. From the magnificent story composition to character design to the lines of the script, Toriyama has worked passionately with the greatest attention to detail and highest quality standards – creating a Dragon Ball movie unlike any other in its history and one that will surely be a blockbuster with fans."

They've been planning this movie since 2018, before Broly even released? Holy crap.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 am

I wouldn't expect anything but I do think it would be funny if Toriyama was convinced to write a really detailed plot in comparison to how Broli turned out.

Actually, I really wish we could get those missing 70 minutes of Movie #20 back.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun May 09, 2021 1:08 am

Maybe, finally Goku vs Beerus? BoG round 2?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 09, 2021 1:08 am

Press release sounds good, but I remain skeptical until we learn if this movie's retreading any old ground or not.

Please, please be something fun and new!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 09, 2021 1:27 am

Chuquita wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:08 am Press release sounds good, but I remain skeptical until we learn if this movie's retreading any old ground or not.

Gokuu x Chi-Chi scenes would be so fresh and fun. 😭😭😭
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 09, 2021 1:58 am

One thing I'm curious about is if the movie will render anything from the Super manga non-canon. Like most assume this movie will take place shortly after Broly and not adapt Moro or anything after, but it's still possible there might be a contradiction here.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 09, 2021 2:14 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:27 am
Chuquita wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:08 am Press release sounds good, but I remain skeptical until we learn if this movie's retreading any old ground or not.

Gokuu x Chi-Chi scenes would be so fresh and fun. 😭😭😭
I do think Chi-Chi is underutilized (and she would fit the title of an "unexpected character"). Having her join (or get pulled into) one of Goku's adventures with him and getting to fight too could be fun.

My gut theory on who the unexpected character though is a "I'm half-joking, half-serious" it's Yamcha.

Some new scenery would be nice. I like how most of the time when Toei does a movie for one of its franchises the characters get to go somewhere new, interesting, and excitingly large that justifies why it's a movie instead of an episode; I'd love for the next db movie to do that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 am

You've gotta love how hard they always go hyping Toriyama's involvement. There's a reason he's been taking it easy with the writing process for all the revival material we've gotten. The man worked like an absolute Dog right up until 1995.

In all honesty I'd say Toriyama has definitely done some concept art and gave the writers at TOEI some general notes on where he'd like the story to go, but I'd doubt it would be lines of dialogue. Can't say I blame him for not wanting to do anymore than that, he's entitled to a retirement with the career he led.

The part about delivering what fans desire makes me even more convinced this unexpected character will be someone popular like Cooler.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 09, 2021 3:33 am

They are building off of Broly, so he will most likely make an appearance (which would explain why he hasn’t been featured in the manga so far).

Based on press release I doubt the movie will be CG. They must have been aware about the very positive receptions of Broly’s art style, so I don’t think they will risk it to make a 3D movie of something which has always been 2D.

And with the manga’s stories all taking place immediately after Broly, I think there’s the possibility of this movie being set after End of Z, with Uub being the “unexpected character”.
But this character may also be Cabba, and the movie set on Planet Sadala. Or Toriyama might have been referring to Broly, but I doubt that he would be unexpected.

It’s a story fans desire and unlike any other one told before, which tells little, but the fact they have been planning it since 2018 is assuring. It means they already had some idea about what it was going to be, hence the comments they released in 2019 about the next movie being quite different from

A passing of the torch story from Goku to Uub would be quite nice. It could start as very light-hearted, with some action here and there, to then get into the real action and powerful fights (featuring Broly too).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:05 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 pm I’m assuming we won’t get any concrete details for a while, since this isn’t coming out until next year.
Yes.... maybe in December, at jump festa.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 am

Since they've been planning this movie since 2018 they probably weren't expecting a release in late 2022 (I mean 4 years for a movie? Under normal circumstances that seems way too much). But, you know, Covid.

It's also why it's pointless at this point to say stuff like "the anime won't be coming back, it's been 3 years!!"... Yeah, but there's a global pandemic that messed up everyone's schedule, so...

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 09, 2021 4:44 am

Here's hoping it will be fun.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:20 am

I heard people say that Cell may be returning as an unexpected character, but I don't know if I would personally want to see that. I got no issues with Broly re-appearing and the introduction of an old character into the canon, but I would like to see a brand new enemy, a real villain in this movie. BoG and RoF were branded as Z movies but they are pretty much in the same era as Broly and this movie, so I don't consider their antagonists the idea of a real villain.

We shall see. Also, it would be better if it took place after the Granolah arc. Uub appearing makes sense and there would be no issue with the timeline getting messed up with a movie between 2 existsing arcs. Unless if they push it between Broly and Moro idk.
P O W E R

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 09, 2021 5:27 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:20 am We shall see. Also, it would be better if it took place after the Granolah arc. Uub appearing makes sense and there would be no issue with the timeline getting messed up with a movie between 2 existsing arcs. Unless if they push it between Broly and Moro idk.
It's been in the works since 2018 so no way they planned that long ahead. I doubt they would also want to spoil the fresh manga arc.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:31 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:27 am
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:20 am We shall see. Also, it would be better if it took place after the Granolah arc. Uub appearing makes sense and there would be no issue with the timeline getting messed up with a movie between 2 existsing arcs. Unless if they push it between Broly and Moro idk.
It's been in the works since 2018 so no way they planned that long ahead. I doubt they would also want to spoil the fresh manga arc.
But if Toriyama wanted to make a cohesive story where the movies are part of it and not sidestories as in Z, where he wasn't involved as much, then he would just need to make small alterations and put this movie after Granolah without spoiling anything for that arc (Goku and Vegeta will get through it with no scratch obviously). In any case, it's too early to talk about anything like that, but if he did plan everything since 2018 and didn't just have the creation of a second movie in mind, then yeah, it will be interesting to see what he does and where he is gonna place it in the timeline.

Feels like post-ToP he rly wanted to take a big part in the story ig.
P O W E R

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 am

It's too early to really speculate on what the movie will be about, but with Toriyama writing the script it's safe to say that it won't take place after EoZ since he has said he has no interest in writing stories during that time period.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun May 09, 2021 6:56 am

I'm pretty sure when they talk about the unexpected character, they means someone that we already know in the story will be heavily involved into the plot. Probably someone from the Z team, this is how i understand the Toriyama statement

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 09, 2021 7:01 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 am It's too early to really speculate on what the movie will be about, but with Toriyama writing the script it's safe to say that it won't take place after EoZ since he has said he has no interest in writing stories during that time period.
Really? Has he said that he won't write stories after end of z?