Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 am

It just hit me that Whis and Beerus are in the movie and this is so close to EoZ at the same time. Which means it's doubtful that Goku manages to surpass Beerus before we reach the actual EoZ point (unless he does by the end of Granolah arc)

People have said that Goku's Blue Gi could be the sign of him becoming Independent of any masters, but now it seems doubtful if he's still training on Beerus' planet like always, so close to that time frame.

It can still happen technically, but the writers don't have much (in-universe) time left.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 am It just hit me that Whis and Beerus are in the movie and this is so close to EoZ at the same time. Which means it's doubtful that Goku manages to surpass Beerus before we reach the actual EoZ point (unless he does by the end of Granolah arc)

People have said that Goku's Blue Gi could be the sign of him becoming Independent of any masters, but now it seems doubtful if he's still training on Beerus' planet like always, so close to that time frame.

It can still happen technically, but the writers don't have much (in-universe) time left.
This is a very interesting point.
Maybe they will hint something in the movie?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm

I don't think Beerus or Whis will be major players in the film. They will just sit back on their planet as the drama unfolds on Earth.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm I don't think Beerus or Whis will be major players in the film. They will just sit back on their planet as the drama unfolds on Earth.
They've always had some kind of role in the movies even if little. Since Whis' voice actor got invited to the recent event, I think he'll get to do something.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:51 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 am
cuartas wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am That trailer was Awful!
If 3D animation is the future, what a terrible future we'll live in.

Like, they didn't even try to replicate the style fighterZ has which I would be ok with, because it tries it's best to hide the 3D and allows for interesting shots, this is not even trying to deviate from being a 3D cutscene from a videogame.
And the worst part is that people is putting up with it, even praising it!

I'm gonna bring something up, the fact that video cards for pc's are even triple the price right now is because people are stupid enough to purchase it to scalpers, manufacturers realized people are willing to pay anything for their products and they're even setting ludicrous MSRP's for their new cards and apparently hoarding chips to keep the shortage alive, and that's because the people threw a bone at them and they're basically not letting go this chance to increase their profits.

Same thing with 3D animation, this movie becomes successful because of people just eating everything it's thrown at them, and say goodbye forever to anything created by Shida, Takahashi, Higashide, Manabe, Shimanuki, Nikaido, Shintani and many other wonderful people out there, TOEI is not stupid and will do everything to maximize their profits.

And about the potential plot, I can care less about a re-release of a Piccolo training a saiyan's plot, didn't you have enough with Gohan? also, the low stakes here are pretty clear, the epicness factor may not be there.
Also, I'm gonna be honest, the only disappointment I have about DBS Broly was the fact we didn't see Ultra Instinct Goku there. That transformation brought an interesting concept for fights and I always was interested to see UI Goku moves handled by the best animators in a movie. Seems this movie will not even need a SSG Goku if Pan is going to take a mayor role here, she's so weak and for the sake of consistency I wouldn't ever think for a minute the final fight would have God levels of power coming from her.
In any case, if they for whatever reason brought UI Goku to this movie I think it wouldn't do justice to it with this cheap 3D animation.

Oh man, so disappointed, I can't wait for them to ever bring the anime back.
I really hope this movie flops and sets a precedent.
This movie will be a sort of “skillcheck” on Dragonballs popularity so to speak. The brand name alone will be carrying this movie HARD. Cause I know for damn sure the animation and story won’t be.

Torn on if the fandom should let it to flop cause if it flops Toei will be like “hmm I guess they don’t want Dragonball anymore” but if it succeeds they will keep giving us this “made in unreal engine, hire this man Nintendo” esque movies.

I feel Something has happened behind the scenes with the franchise ever since 2018 ended that is not good. Look at the difference in promotion & overall lack of direction of the series since then speaks for itself .
I hope the sole popularity isn't enough. I really really hope people are smart enough to see the Pandora Box that's about to open if this doesn't flop. In my case I'm not really torn about what happens here. Like I said, TOEI is not stupid, if this flops and the numbers are too low compared to Broly they should be able to put 2 and 2 together and realize what was done in Broly is the step moving forward for new movies AND a potential new anime.
I wholeheartedly agree with the opinion of someone saying they are noobs in the 3D industry and are not bringing anything new to the table and given this trailer, pretty mediocre to put it lightly.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:08 pm

cuartas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:51 pm
cuartas wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am That trailer was Awful!
If 3D animation is the future, what a terrible future we'll live in.

Like, they didn't even try to replicate the style fighterZ has which I would be ok with, because it tries it's best to hide the 3D and allows for interesting shots, this is not even trying to deviate from being a 3D cutscene from a videogame.
And the worst part is that people is putting up with it, even praising it!

I'm gonna bring something up, the fact that video cards for pc's are even triple the price right now is because people are stupid enough to purchase it to scalpers, manufacturers realized people are willing to pay anything for their products and they're even setting ludicrous MSRP's for their new cards and apparently hoarding chips to keep the shortage alive, and that's because the people threw a bone at them and they're basically not letting go this chance to increase their profits.

Same thing with 3D animation, this movie becomes successful because of people just eating everything it's thrown at them, and say goodbye forever to anything created by Shida, Takahashi, Higashide, Manabe, Shimanuki, Nikaido, Shintani and many other wonderful people out there, TOEI is not stupid and will do everything to maximize their profits.

And about the potential plot, I can care less about a re-release of a Piccolo training a saiyan's plot, didn't you have enough with Gohan? also, the low stakes here are pretty clear, the epicness factor may not be there.
Also, I'm gonna be honest, the only disappointment I have about DBS Broly was the fact we didn't see Ultra Instinct Goku there. That transformation brought an interesting concept for fights and I always was interested to see UI Goku moves handled by the best animators in a movie. Seems this movie will not even need a SSG Goku if Pan is going to take a mayor role here, she's so weak and for the sake of consistency I wouldn't ever think for a minute the final fight would have God levels of power coming from her.
In any case, if they for whatever reason brought UI Goku to this movie I think it wouldn't do justice to it with this cheap 3D animation.

Oh man, so disappointed, I can't wait for them to ever bring the anime back.
I really hope this movie flops and sets a precedent.
This movie will be a sort of “skillcheck” on Dragonballs popularity so to speak. The brand name alone will be carrying this movie HARD. Cause I know for damn sure the animation and story won’t be.

Torn on if the fandom should let it to flop cause if it flops Toei will be like “hmm I guess they don’t want Dragonball anymore” but if it succeeds they will keep giving us this “made in unreal engine, hire this man Nintendo” esque movies.

I feel Something has happened behind the scenes with the franchise ever since 2018 ended that is not good. Look at the difference in promotion & overall lack of direction of the series since then speaks for itself .
I hope the sole popularity isn't enough. I really really hope people are smart enough to see the Pandora Box that's about to open if this doesn't flop. In my case I'm not really torn about what happens here. Like I said, TOEI is not stupid, if this flops and the numbers are too low compared to Broly they should be able to put 2 and 2 together and realize what was done in Broly is the step moving forward for new movies AND a potential new anime.
I wholeheartedly agree with the opinion of someone sayingkp they are noobs in the 3D industry and are not bringing anything new to the table and given this trailer, pretty mediocre to put it lightly.
I wonder did the Broly movie underperform @ the box office in the eyes of Toei execs? That’s the only reason I see why they might go this route. They Shouldn’t try to push out a product if know you don’t have the staff to make it great. I mean DB is a top 10 film franchise in Japan (#6 under Godzilla ffs) not some Johnny come lately anime franchise that you throw cheap cgi on and call it a day. Hell even the 1st DBS Broly trailer felt like a damn MCU blockbuster trailer compared to this new movies “trailer”.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:38 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:08 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with the opinion of someone sayingkp they are noobs in the 3D industry and are not bringing anything new to the table and given this trailer, pretty mediocre to put it lightly.
I wonder did the Broly movie underperform @ the box office in the eyes of Toei execs? That’s the only reason I see why they might go this route. They Shouldn’t try to push out a product if know you don’t have the staff to make it great. I mean DB is a top 10 film franchise in Japan (#6 under Godzilla ffs) not some Johnny come lately anime franchise that you throw cheap cgi on and call it a day. Hell even the 1st DBS Broly trailer felt like a damn MCU blockbuster trailer compared to this new movies “trailer”.
Yeah, the fact that they're not promoting this movie as much and as big as the previous one, I wanna think they kinda know what's up, but I guess it's really late for them to backpedal and will call anything a victory, hopefully with a clear mind for the future about what people really want with the franchise moving forward.

I don't think Broly underperformed, aren't there numbers showing how it kicked BoG and RoF asses?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:16 am

cuartas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:38 pmI don't think Broly underperformed, aren't there numbers showing how it kicked BoG and RoF asses?
BoG's worldwide gross was $50,461,371. RoF's was $61,768,190. Broly made $115,757,940. This is all according to boxofficemojo.com.

What's crazy about Broly's numbers was that its total gross in the US damn near beat Japan's overall gross. It made $34,644,279 in Japan and $30,712,119 in the US. Just goes to show Broly's international popularity.

Compare that to the movie before it. RoF made $30,117,264 in Japan and $8,008,363 in the US. The sheer difference between RoF's numbers and Broly's numbers in the US is insane. I highly doubt this new movie will pull off those kinds of numbers.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:34 am

cuartas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:38 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:08 pm
Yeah, the fact that they're not promoting this movie as much and as big as the previous one, I wanna think they kinda know what's up, but I guess it's really late for them to backpedal and will call anything a victory, hopefully with a clear mind for the future about what people really want with the franchise moving forward.

I don't think Broly underperformed, aren't there numbers showing how it kicked BoG and RoF asses?
The thing is Dragon Ball as a media franchise is hugely succesfull worth 27.7 billion same as spider man and batman, but the thing is no matter how much you promote a 2d animated movie , no matter how much well known franchise it is you will no way attract that kind of audience, thats why garbage movie like EMOJI MADE 200 million dollars and plus of course marketing. no the broly movie didnt underperform. For any anime movie to cross 100 million+ thats a HUGE DEAL. Toriyama said he wanted to get some time off lets again meet sometime later. it dosent matter how big your franchise is marketing is the main key factor for movie to succed globaly. Do you even know how much disney spend for marketing alone? Endgame had 400 million budget+ 300 million marketing = 700. To break even you need 1.3 billion in box office and it made 2.7 billion. The break even point is 1.3 billion for a 700 million dollar movie . on the other hand DBS broly had a budget of 8.5 million and it made 122 million according to the numbers. since there is no marketing numbers for broly i am assuming 8.5 million includes marketing and the movie budget so it s not only break even it performed awesome. The thing is disney know how to market and they spend more money on marketing even for a stupid movies. Thats why stupid movies like madagascar can make over 600 million easily. Marketing is the main key promoting is not enough.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:55 pm

2D animation doesn't stand up to modern day standard as ridiculous as that is.
This movie is Toei testing how deep the water is.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:11 pm

Jinto wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:55 pm 2D animation doesn't stand up to modern day standard as ridiculous as that is.
The waters for Toei are going to be as deep as a puddle.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:04 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:11 pm
Jinto wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:55 pm 2D animation doesn't stand up to modern day standard as ridiculous as that is.
toei animation recently joined with Cj ENM the company that produced squid game, which states this ''Toei Animation and CJ ENM have agreed to create transmedia content for the global market and promote business that leverages the strengths of both companies by mutually utilizing the abundant libraries and planning and production resources of both companies.
Toei Animation and CJ ENM will jointly plan, develop, produce, and invest in a total of three lines, including "new works" and "animation" and "live-action" of the hit works of both companies, and will be rolled out sequentially from 2023. I will aim to do it. They also states that We are proceeding with discussions with JK FILM, a subsidiary of CJ ENM, and Skydance, an overseas partner.
So if dragon ball again made its debut in live action dont be surprised. The globalization has begun, I just hope they know what they are doing.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:19 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:04 am
toei animation recently joined with Cj ENM the company that produced squid game, which states this ''Toei Animation and CJ ENM have agreed to create transmedia content for the global market and promote business that leverages the strengths of both companies by mutually utilizing the abundant libraries and planning and production resources of both companies.
Toei Animation and CJ ENM will jointly plan, develop, produce, and invest in a total of three lines, including "new works" and "animation" and "live-action" of the hit works of both companies, and will be rolled out sequentially from 2023. I will aim to do it. They also states that We are proceeding with discussions with JK FILM, a subsidiary of CJ ENM, and Skydance, an overseas partner.
So if dragon ball again made its debut in live action dont be surprised. The globalization has begun, I just hope they know what they are doing.

Source?

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:31 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:19 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:04 am

Source?
https://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/ja/press/p ... 47917.html here you go and also a saint saiya holywood movie coming https://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/ja/press/p ... 82917.html.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 pm

I have a theory that Dr. Gero is behind everything going on in the movie and he was never dead when #17 knock his dead off. What if the Dr. Gero that we saw in DBZ was just a copy and the real Dr. Gero is working behind the shadows?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 pm I have a theory that Dr. Gero is behind everything going on in the movie and he was never dead when #17 knock his dead off. What if the Dr. Gero that we saw in DBZ was just a copy and the real Dr. Gero is working behind the shadows?
Because unlike the other androids, #20 (Gero) had a brain in a jar instead of a computer. Unless he also dabbled in Cloning (which is never indicated), then no, Gero's dead. Bringing him back would just make things worse. Frankly the writing just hasn't been deep enough to do anything intelligent with the premise.

Know what would actually be a twist? If the Red Ribbon Army we're seeing isn't real. That it's just a cover for a 3rd party. That the RRA really has been wiped out for decades now and Gero was its last survivor. That someone else is just using their namesake to mask their own identity and intentions. Such as, what if the actually mind behind it all was, in fact, Dr. Wheelo? Now wouldn't that be an interesting reveal? Like, what if Wheelo actually had been an anonymous supporter of the RRA and had some friendly rivalry with Gero. Gero built androids while Wheelo was more interested in human-controlled powered suits.

The two androids were saw in the original Dragonball were Eighter and Major Metallitron. However we've seen multiple mech suits throughout the show, used by both the RRA and Pilaf's gang. Including some filler episodes in the Anime. And what if Wheelo was actually one of the scientists that works with Capsule Corp? This would explain how he could keep under the company's (and Bulma"s) radar for all these years. It would also explain how he could create new androids, since Bulma was able to scan Android#16 and acquired the blueprint data for Android's #17&18 from Krillin and Future Trunks when they invaded Gero's Sub-Lab. This information and technology is something Wheelo could use to advance his own cybernetics and machines, as well as make it appear as though the RRA was becoming active again.

There's a lot that can be done with this idea. Given it would also follow the desire to take Z-movie characters and bring them into the canon proper. Like they did with Broly. On top of that, the idea of Wheelo being embedded within Capsule Corp could also create the possibility of Bulma's Time Machine tech and designs being copied from her personal computers before Beerus nuked the machine. Which opens the possibility of more time-travel shenanigans and the return of Future Trunks and Future Mai.

Or planting such could result in a threat to the timeline that Chronoa, aka the Supreme Kai of Time, becomes introduced into the canon and helps to further expand upon the continuity and multiverse.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 am

I doubt Gero is coming back. If I had to guess, a descendent of whomever was running the Red Ribbon Army behind the scenes inherited their money and what remained of RR tech and bases, probably the kid we see in the trailer.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 am

Having RR to resurface later in the manga (and of course the anime) through Gero and link to Goku's childhood was a clever idea back then, so I am looking forward to how they will handle it now.

Little bit sad though, that like Freeza (that already got like 2 ''non-canon'' ressurection in Z movie and GT + filler stuff from hell), it is again kind of recycle and as a video game fan, I have already enjoyed the Android 21 side-story of What if Dr. Gero continued his gene collection and got data from Majin.
But if the movie will some world building and expanding like the Battle Of Gods and Broly had and somehow will move forward close to the EoZ, I would be happy. I loved the Grand Kaioshin bit a lot in Moro arc and it was way better than Buu merging with Uub ''later'' in GT, which lead pretty much to nothing and Vegeta's redemption arc as well.

Really hope they make it worthwile and not Uncle Piccolo and Pan go camping and have to deal with some minor stuff, while Goku is battling as usual somewhere.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 am It just hit me that Whis and Beerus are in the movie and this is so close to EoZ at the same time. Which means it's doubtful that Goku manages to surpass Beerus before we reach the actual EoZ point (unless he does by the end of Granolah arc)

I doubt we will ever see Goku surpass Beerus and Whis, but he surpassed Mr Popo and Kaio, and they still appear in the story, so having Beerus and Whis appear in the new film doesn't really mean anything.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 pm

It wouldn't make sense for Goku to not surpass Beerus. I can understand with Whis but keeping Beerus's invincibility is just a cheap marketing ploy at this point.
In fact, Beerus should've already been surpassed since the Zamasu arc (at least in the anime).
Remember when Whis said Goku and Vegeta could defeat Beerus if they worked together back in RoF ?