Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by super michael » Wed May 04, 2022 6:58 am

I don't know if someone posted this or not but here goes.
Chickyguy32 wrote:V Jump confirms Super Super Hero is canon to the manga
https://mobile.twitter.com/DbsHype/stat ... 0706837504

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed May 04, 2022 7:22 am

It's canon to both mediums.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am

It's literally a magazine that advertises manga, of course it's going to mention it.

Why would they not advertise their product?

It's nothing special and doesn't mean anything.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed May 04, 2022 8:15 am

People in general shouldn't make so much fuss if something's canon or not. It's like they want to justify what they like or dislike. Some kind of stamp of approval. We have had both entertaining non-canon stuff as well as boring canon stuff.
I don't care whether this movie is canon or not. I care whether it's enjoyably. It makes no difference to me if it's written by Toriyama, Roald Dahl, J.K. Rowling or Santa Clause. As long as it's a fun movie, it's fine by me.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am It's nothing special and doesn't mean anything.
It's a sequential guide of Gohan and Piccolo's relationship over the years that includes the Moro arc and ends at Super Hero. At the very least, it puts both of them in the same general timeline.

What this means is that (similar to Broly) we now have advertising materials for the film that either make reference to the manga or Toei's products exclusively, depending on where you look. The movie is being marketed both to more casual anime/film viewers and those that have been keeping up with the comic.

It ain't complicated.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed May 04, 2022 12:12 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am It's nothing special and doesn't mean anything.
It's a sequential guide of Gohan and Piccolo's relationship over the years that includes the Moro arc and ends at Super Hero. At the very least, it puts both of them in the same general timeline.

What this means is that (similar to Broly) we now have advertising materials for the film that either make reference to the manga or Toei's products exclusively, depending on where you look. The movie is being marketed both to more casual anime/film viewers and those that have been keeping up with the comic.

It ain't complicated.
Yes, it's not complicated and doesn't have any special or complicated meaning. That's exactly what I said.

Thanks for the meta analysis, I guess?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 04, 2022 12:21 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure "Dragon Ball film wants to market itself to people who read Dragon Ball comic" is a terribly unexpected development.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed May 04, 2022 12:23 pm

You said that it doesn't mean anything. I'm just clarifying that it means as much (or as little) as every other piece of supplemental marketing that people have been using to make arguments about canonicity/continuity.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 amIt's nothing special and doesn't mean anything.
And it's nothing new either, once they said Pan's age, anyone could figured that out.
super michael wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:58 amI don't know if someone posted this or not but here goes.
Where's the "canon" part? Or are you saying that a statement related to time placement is (somehow) telling us that it's canonical?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 04, 2022 12:40 pm

I recall Herms explained that there is no actual word for "canon" or "non-canon" in Japanese. The closest they get to is main continuity that involves Toriyama. BoG and RoF are slightly different in the DBS adaptations but doesn't mean that they're rendered "non-canon" and just a separate main continuity.

I'm pretty sure there was promotional material like that acknowledging the arcs taking place between RoF and Broly even though they weren't brought up in the movie itself. If you're buying that magazine then they probably assume you're part of the audience that reads/watches the full story and not only the movies.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed May 04, 2022 12:50 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 amIt's nothing special and doesn't mean anything.
And it's nothing new either, once they said Pan's age, anyone could figured that out.
super michael wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:58 amI don't know if someone posted this or not but here goes.
Where's the "canon" part? Or are you saying that a statement related to time placement is (somehow) telling us that it's canonical?
I copied that user post and posted it here.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed May 04, 2022 4:36 pm

Does anyone get the feeling that Super Hero will feature WE GOTTA POWER in some way? I mean, with Kageyama's recent appearances, I feel like TOEI's trying to tell us something...

I mean, I'm not opposed to someone like Shoko Nakagawa, but still.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:44 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm
eeeeeh.....I'd say that's more promotional than an outright confirmation. I've been saying this for awhile but I tend to think the movies take place in their own little continuities and Toei deliberately makes it vague whether its in the anime or manga continuity. I mean, technically Broly takes place after the Universe Survival, but barely any aspect of that arc is mentioned, neither does Goku UI make an appearance. So while Super Hero technically takes place after Moro and Granola (and technically would come after whatever arc(s) follows the Granola arc), I really doubt that we're gonna get any confirmation.

Toei wants to cast as wide a net for their movies as possible. And that means getting people who might be familiar with DBZ but might not have read/watch Super.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu May 05, 2022 12:44 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am It's literally a magazine that advertises manga, of course it's going to mention it.

Apparently in geekdom's recent stream he got an email from somebody who said that its a cell movie and not only that but he also mentioned that DBS manga is the true successor of DB manga and it will continue like one piece and another big DB project is also coming( the name of the project was blacked out by geekdom)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 05, 2022 4:17 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:44 pmeeeeeh.....I'd say that's more promotional than an outright confirmation.
And I would agree. There's nothing in that image we didn't know already.
kemuri07 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:44 pmI've been saying this for awhile but I tend to think the movies take place in their own little continuities
You don't need to think that, Dragon Ball Super does have three continuities (movies, anime and manga). That much is crystal clear by now. You can't overlap one continuity with another one at this point without having major problems.
kemuri07 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:44 pmSo while Super Hero technically takes place after Moro and Granola (and technically would come after whatever arc(s) follows the Granola arc), I really doubt that we're gonna get any confirmation.
The confirmation you seek may be right in front of you already, in the details. A character's age and/or their appearances, Shenlong summonings... These kind of things are giving you another kind of information, time placement, sometimes not specific, but a general understanding.

Sometimes we don't need explicit confirmation, a statement for every little thing. We know for a fact that Movie 2 takes place after Moro saga because Pan is still a baby in that saga and she looks older in the movie, why would you need a statement in this occasion? Isn't her appearance confirmation enough? They even bothered to tell us her actual age, consequently also telling us the specific year the movie takes place (which, admittedly, it may change if we get more information about it, but for now it is as we were told).

A lot of things, even confirmation, are in the details, one just need to pay attention to them.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 05, 2022 7:40 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:44 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am It's literally a magazine that advertises manga, of course it's going to mention it.

Apparently in geekdom's recent stream he got an email from somebody who said that its a cell movie and not only that but he also mentioned that DBS manga is the true successor of DB manga and it will continue like one piece and another big DB project is also coming( the name of the project was blacked out by geekdom)
Geekdom again… I don’t trust that guy at all. He rambled about Super 2.0 for like half a year and had allegedly some secret source for the information. Here we are.
Plus he was pretty much an asshole after nothing happened. What Mike Zeroh is to Star Wars, Geekdom is to Dragon Ball.

I can e-mail some secret Dragon Ball stuff as well if anyone is interested :clap:

But seriously, Kanzenshuu is pretty much a legit source for all DB and usually you can trust the info here + there are guys like Ajay and others, who get some info first and try to come up with legit stuff.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri May 06, 2022 6:37 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:40 pm
Geekdom again… I don’t trust that guy at all. He rambled about Super 2.0 for like half a year and had allegedly some secret source for the information. Here we are.
Plus he was pretty much an asshole after nothing happened. What Mike Zeroh is to Star Wars, Geekdom is to Dragon Ball.

I can e-mail some secret Dragon Ball stuff as well if anyone is interested :clap:

But seriously, Kanzenshuu is pretty much a legit source for all DB and usually you can trust the info here + there are guys like Ajay and others, who get some info first and try to come up with legit stuff.
SO that's why within every five minutes he was saying people accused him of being liar and such things and constantly repeating that he knows people who works in toei and showed an email of toei.co.jp (That email was blacked out though) because showing the full thing can be harmful for the employee and can lose his/her job.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri May 06, 2022 9:00 am

Why is there no information about any kind of dub for this yet?

Broly had a dub trailer that came out from practically the start didn't it? Months before it actually came out in Japan. The movie released in US only a month after Japan.

That certainly doesn't seem like the case with this one.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri May 06, 2022 10:01 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:00 am Why is there no information about any kind of dub for this yet?

Broly had a dub trailer that came out from practically the start didn't it? Months before it actually came out in Japan. The movie released in US only a month after Japan.

That certainly doesn't seem like the case with this one.
Wasn't Monica Rial said that they were doing the voice works in NYCC?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:37 am
MCDaveG wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:40 pm

SO that's why within every five minutes he was saying people accused him of being liar and such things and constantly repeating that he knows people who works in toei and showed an email of toei.co.jp (That email was blacked out though) because showing the full thing can be harmful for the employee and can lose his/her job.
If some employee leaks stuff from his company e-mail, he/she is either not OK in their heads or doesn’t scream legit to me. That’s like running head on into a gunfire.

The truth is, nothing Geekdom shared was true in the end and his video were spot on clickbaits with him rambling about rumours for like 10+ minutes. Logically, people got fed up after him running alleged leaks for half a year, with nothing of that happening.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88