Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:36 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 pm Fans who don't want to see Goku (the defining character of Dragon Ball) might as well stop following up with the franchise.
Well, I'll be speaking for myself, I don't mind Goku's presence, but only if he's in a cool context and acting like he should act. Unfortunately, neither of these things reflect Dragon Ball Super's Goku. He's been portrayed very poorly and not in interesting situations.

Like I've said, bringing up Bardock now might provide some cool stuff to do/explore about Goku's character, him having to atone for his father's actions is something that surprisingly hasn't been done before, so that's one reason why I hope Toyotaro actually delivers in the next chapter.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "give up on the franchise", though. There is a very interesting Goku out there, after all, known as Xeno Goku. Great design, he is involved in nice situatuon and his behavior is how an adult Goku should act. That Goku can stay for as long as he likes.
Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:31 am

emperior wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:55 pm
LightBing wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:14 pm Pan powering up got me the most hyped, followed by Piccolo getting so much attention. I really hope Goku spends most of the movie punching Broly in Beerus planet and doesn't show up much.
I hope this too. I would like it a lot if the movie focused on Pan and Piccolo co. vs Red Ribbon on Earth while Goku, Vegeta and Broly train on Beerus’ planet.

Could this actually be the case? We know Gohan’s family will play a role. And possibly Buu too. But Krillin is also appearing, as well as Karin and Dende. This might really end up being focused on Earth’s forces without Goku and Vegeta saving them out, for once. Which would also explain the relatively low stake feel of Red Ribbon Army coming back once again.

Though it would be very unusual for Goku not to be central to the story.
I'm thinking a set up like the Saiyan and Namek arcs, where Goku only shows up at the end. Perhaps something like The Return of Son Goku and Friends!

Goku only had about 1/3 of the Broly movie dedicated to him, dividing the spotlight with Vegeta and the Legendary Super Saiyan. He actually shares his screentime quite a bit.
dragonballhero wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:10 pm [Speaking of Pan, I'm sure we've all seen her power up for a bit in Super Hero's trailer, but instead of Super Saiyan Pan, what if we end up getting 'Ultimate Pan'? I mean, she IS the daughter of Gohan (i.e. the [potentially] strongest individual in Universe 7, outside of Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, and Whis) and she's already been seen doing things as a BABY that even her dad couldn't even do until he was, like, 4.
I wouldn't mind at all but the fanbase might get upset. Before the U6 Saiyans, there was a demand for a SSJ woman which should have been Pan in GT.
I guess people might see the repeating patern.
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 pm Fans who don't want to see Goku (the defining character of Dragon Ball) might as well stop following up with the franchise.
Well, I won't.

Goku in Super has been stagnant; worst inconsistently written. His character struggle to find a new savior of Earth has been dropped, he's aimless besides the ever present need to be stronger.

So yeah, I want him to take a step back if there's more interesting characters. Dragon Ball is partially an ensemble manga, Goku saves the day but a lot of people participate.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:21 am

I would actually love to see the Goku as a teacher of Uub someday, that’s the story coming full circle and visited only in EoZ and Neko Majin Z manga from Toriyama, to be completely dropped…
I agree with everyone that Super Goku is stagnant on “I wanna beat up the strongest there are.” Which is kinda in character for him, but overdone… same with Vegeta, except the moments in the Super and recent manga when he comes up to terms with his past aside from “I wanna beat Goku’s ass”, which I liked.

CGI aside, I am looking forward to the story and it’s nice if we bring up Piccolo back again with some sidecast… Sure, Goku can save the day, but waiting 3 years for a movie to be something like the one with Bio-Broly will be hugely dissapointing.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:17 am

I just noticed that there's a dome on the roof of the car just to make room for this character's wild hairstyle. :lol:

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:25 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:50 pm
Big Black Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:39 pm Crazy thought, but where not really far off from a Goku/Broly fusion....
That would probably be overkill. I mean, Broly as a normal Super Saiyan is stronger the Goku in Blue form. Super Saiyan Blue Karoly would be OP as HFIL.
I think Dragon Ball is pass the point of caring tbh. I am kinda half joking about the fusion thing but you can't underestimate Toriyama and Toei. Plus new merch lol

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:20 am

I showed my 8 year old the trailer for Super Hero. Her own comments were "That looks awful! It's much better like it usually is! This looks like a video game!"...

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:24 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:20 am I showed my 8 year old the trailer for Super Hero. Her own comments were "That looks awful! It's much better like it usually is! This looks like a video game!"...
Even the children know what's up :lol:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:03 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:17 am
I just noticed that there's a dome on the roof of the car just to make room for this character's wild hairstyle. :lol:
Nice catch! Ahahahah.

About Karoly, it's a possibility but for the future. I dont' think he'll show up in this movie.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:53 am

Karoly would be a tad too strong for some RRA androids, innit?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:35 pm

I think I've come to realize something, talking to others yesterday.... I don't like the CGI, but the casual fan, which makes up the vast majority of DB's fanbase, does not care. Like, the people who buy into the franchise, but aren't really on the internet for it; don't care. It's a bit surprising. Everyone's super hyped and I'm like, "It's CGI, tho!"

I don't want to be that blind fan... But I think they might know what they're doing. Though it boggles my mind at how little effort they put into advertising the manga. I still don't understand that... But again, maybe they have a plan?

Still not super-excited, but now I'm very curious as to how successful this movie is going to be. That Dragon Room is a strange and intriguing place when you consider how profitable Super has been.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:07 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:35 pm I think I've come to realize something, talking to others yesterday.... I don't like the CGI, but the casual fan, which makes up the vast majority of DB's fanbase, does not care. Like, the people who buy into the franchise, but aren't really on the internet for it; don't care. It's a bit surprising. Everyone's super hyped and I'm like, "It's CGI, tho!"

I don't want to be that blind fan... But I think they might know what they're doing. Though it boggles my mind at how little effort they put into advertising the manga. I still don't understand that... But again, maybe they have a plan?

Still not super-excited, but now I'm very curious as to how successful this movie is going to be. That Dragon Room is a strange and intriguing place when you consider how profitable Super has been.
Idk most of the casual audience is more into the fights which is a big reason why Broly and hell id even go as far as to say the fan made animation fights on Youtube are well received by them.

IMO the over under for success of this movie will be between making more than BOG but less than ROF in a best case scenario.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:44 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:53 am Karoly would be a tad too strong for some RRA androids, innit?
I have a feeling we're not going to see Goku dealing with the antagonist at all and he'll only be shown training or doing other things, which is the direction I'm hoping the series takes post EoZ. I love Goku and want him to stick around as a mentor type character like Whis, but he's gotten too powerful and it's time for other characters to take the spotlight.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:59 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:07 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:35 pm I think I've come to realize something, talking to others yesterday.... I don't like the CGI, but the casual fan, which makes up the vast majority of DB's fanbase, does not care. Like, the people who buy into the franchise, but aren't really on the internet for it; don't care. It's a bit surprising. Everyone's super hyped and I'm like, "It's CGI, tho!"

Idk most of the casual audience is more into the fights which is a big reason why Broly and hell id even go as far as to say the fan made animation fights on Youtube are well received by them.

IMO the over under for success of this movie will be between making more than BOG but less than ROF in a best case scenario.
True. Hell, fights are THE MOST important thing to me and I don't consider myself a casual. That said, ALL of the casuals I've spoken to don't even know what the movie's about/are aware it's going to be less battle driven. They just saw the trailers and we're stoked.

I think you may be surprised at the success of this movie. This is going to be proof of just how big Dragon Ball has really gotten. Can they make a Disney-like slice of life movie that tops Broly? It's far from impossible, but we shall see...

Kamehamehadouken

Post by Kamehamehadouken » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:18 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:59 pm

True. Hell, fights are THE MOST important thing to me and I don't consider myself a casual. That said, ALL of the casuals I've spoken to don't even know what the movie's about/are aware it's going to be less battle driven. They just saw the trailers and we're stoked.

I think you may be surprised at the success of this movie. This is going to be proof of just how big Dragon Ball has really gotten. Can they make a Disney-like slice of life movie that tops Broly? It's far from impossible, but we shall see...

I think Broly could have done far better if Toei hadn't underestimated how much the west cares about Dragon Ball. It had a little advertising but word of mouth basically powered that movie in the US and it still did pretty good, iIrc. If they treat this new film like a legitimate full movie release in the states, I think it might be able to surpass what Broly did. I have no idea how this movie is being received over east. Eastern and western Dragon Ball fanbase have always seemed to have had wildly different sensibilities.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Kamehamehadouken wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:18 pm

I think Broly could have done far better if Toei hadn't underestimated how much the west cares about Dragon Ball. It had a little advertising but word of mouth basically powered that movie in the US and it still did pretty good, iIrc. If they treat this new film like a legitimate full movie release in the states, I think it might be able to surpass what Broly did. I have no idea how this movie is being received over east. Eastern and western Dragon Ball fanbase have always seemed to have had wildly different sensibilities.
Didn’t Broly get like a very limited release in the States I mean even Mugen Train was in theaters longer than it.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:47 pm

LightBing wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:31 am
Goku in Super has been stagnant; worst inconsistently written. His character struggle to find a new savior of Earth has been dropped, he's aimless besides the ever present need to be stronger.

So yeah, I want him to take a step back if there's more interesting characters. Dragon Ball is partially an ensemble manga, Goku saves the day but a lot of people participate.
That used to bother me too, but I believe Goku's goal of finding a worthy successor may be coming back soon. After all, the original manga ended with Goku discovering Uub and we're getting close to that endgame at last.

I have a theory that Goku lost faith in his ability to mentor the next generation. Back in Z, Goku rightly saw Gohan as his superior but was forced to accept that Gohan didn't want to walk the same path. Then he mistakenly placed all his faith in Goten and Trunks, who were even less cut out for the task. By Super, Goku's grown powerful enough by himself that finding a successor is no longer an immediate concern. And when Dende talks to him about Uub, Goku says he's no good at teaching. Ironic, as Goku is a great teacher, but his method of "stealth-mentoring" the younger generation by forcing them to fight their own battles is flawed.

Goku may be a competitive asshole but he's gracious in conceding when he discovers people more naturally gifted than himself. Plenty of prodigies are popping their heads out now, so Goku may be opening up to the idea of passing the torch once again. Caulifla, Kale, Broly, Uub, Pan... Knowing Goku though, he hasn't learned from his past mistakes and will probably force Pan to fight Beerus at some point. Totally unfair, the cat won't stand a chance. :lol:

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:58 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:53 am Karoly would be a tad too strong for some RRA androids, innit?
The RR creating something that could force Broly and Goku to fuse would make me question why they haven't conquered the world yet. :lol:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:58 pm
The RR creating something that could force Broly and Goku to fuse would make me question why they haven't conquered the world yet. :lol:
If they have DNA from everyone including Broly, Beerus and Moro, they could be pretty formidable, but it looks like Piccolo and Pan will be dealing with them so I doubt that's the case.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:23 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:54 pm
Kamehamehadouken wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:18 pm

Didn’t Broly get like a very limited release in the States I mean even Mugen Train was in theaters longer than it.
It did. I don't think it was in theaters that long, either.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:59 pm

YouTube comments saying that Goku will show Up and beat the villians again....yeah like he did in the BOG movie and Broly movie(Gogeta is a different character)? I see that memory loss is still a big problem in the community.