Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Jinto » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:39 pm

I hope they confuse Goten for Goku since he should've grown up by now, an occasion to give the kids some spotlight

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:28 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 am
Miracles wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:02 am I mean, it's no coincidence that even the teaser trailer, parallels the new villain's ["Evil organization"] with the heroes ["Rise up our Hero"] Goku, Pan, Piccolo and Gamma 2.
Yknow I found it weird that we didn’t see Gamma 1 in action in the trailer. He’s seen only in the last shot, posing with 2. Surely both of them will be equally important, right?
I'm quite sure Gamma 1 will be important. Even tho we didn't see him in the trailer, he was on the poster. Those four characters were stated to "embody" the title "Super Hero."

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:37 pm

Jinto wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:39 pm I hope they confuse Goten for Goku since he should've grown up by now, an occasion to give the kids some spotlight
it's funny you said that.....
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:50 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:37 pm
Jinto wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:39 pm I hope they confuse Goten for Goku since he should've grown up by now, an occasion to give the kids some spotlight
This is now my favorite thing, holy shit.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 am
Big Black Saiyan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pm Yeah, the notion that Goku will just not be a major character in the first animated product in four years is baffling.
This is what happens with speculation. Before we really knew much about about the Broly movie at what one point folks always speculated it was gonna be about the past, Goku/Vegeta might sit this one out. Going off what Superhero is showing us Goku will be in for a decent length. There’s still much to show
yeah i think goku will play a decent heart warming role but dont know why i have a feeling that this movie is the last of Toriyama's involvement. I may be wrong but i have a feeling that after this movie Toriyama passing the torch to toyotaro completely.
Toriyama has said he enjoys being able to come up with story ideas and not have to actually draw them, so I feel he won't retire for a long time. Toyo might have more input and maybe even write entire story arcs, but I think as long as he's capable, Toriyama will always be there to shoot down bad ideas and give direction where needed.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:50 pm

I love the thought that anyone might think that Goku might not be too relevant in the film when the initial teaser trailer was just of Goku alone in a white void

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:56 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:37 pm
I've always had the headcanon that this exact thing happened, but it occurred when Goten brought a date over to the Son household.

Specifically, some time after Goten leaves his date in the Son family's living room, Goku would show up not too long afterwards, causing said date to temporarily confuse the father and son and before said date does anything, Chi-Chi catches her in the act, getting ready to throttle her before Goten comes to her rescue.

In the end, Goten would lose a date, but gain a new haircut.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:30 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:50 pm I love the thought that anyone might think that Goku might not be too relevant in the film when the initial teaser trailer was just of Goku alone in a white void
It's Dragon Ball, Goku will always be relevant, but I don't think he'll be dealing with the antagonist in this film, it's gonna be Piccolo and Pan handling them while Goku is off training with Broly.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am

That trailer was Awful!
If 3D animation is the future, what a terrible future we'll live in.

Like, they didn't even try to replicate the style fighterZ has which I would be ok with, because it tries it's best to hide the 3D and allows for interesting shots, this is not even trying to deviate from being a 3D cutscene from a videogame.
And the worst part is that people is putting up with it, even praising it!

I'm gonna bring something up, the fact that video cards for pc's are even triple the price right now is because people are stupid enough to purchase it to scalpers, manufacturers realized people are willing to pay anything for their products and they're even setting ludicrous MSRP's for their new cards and apparently hoarding chips to keep the shortage alive, and that's because the people threw a bone at them and they're basically not letting go this chance to increase their profits.

Same thing with 3D animation, this movie becomes successful because of people just eating everything it's thrown at them, and say goodbye forever to anything created by Shida, Takahashi, Higashide, Manabe, Shimanuki, Nikaido, Shintani and many other wonderful people out there, TOEI is not stupid and will do everything to maximize their profits.

And about the potential plot, I can care less about a re-release of a Piccolo training a saiyan's plot, didn't you have enough with Gohan? also, the low stakes here are pretty clear, the epicness factor may not be there.
Also, I'm gonna be honest, the only disappointment I have about DBS Broly was the fact we didn't see Ultra Instinct Goku there. That transformation brought an interesting concept for fights and I always was interested to see UI Goku moves handled by the best animators in a movie. Seems this movie will not even need a SSG Goku if Pan is going to take a mayor role here, she's so weak and for the sake of consistency I wouldn't ever think for a minute the final fight would have God levels of power coming from her.
In any case, if they for whatever reason brought UI Goku to this movie I think it wouldn't do justice to it with this cheap 3D animation.

Oh man, so disappointed, I can't wait for them to ever bring the anime back.
I really hope this movie flops and sets a precedent.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:01 am

cuartas wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am she's so weak and for the sake of consistency I wouldn't ever think for a minute the final fight would have God levels of power coming from her.
I think it's silly, but I start to think they will be making all the new kids "God-tier" from the get go.

Pan - SSG Ritual possibly gave her a boost
Bra - Born with the help of an Angel
Uub - Dai Kaioshin's God Ki
Broly's possible offspring - Legendary Power
Kuriza - Golden form

I feel like everyone involved in modern DB decided on this. Maybe Dragon Room asked Toriyama to come up with ways to boost the kids up quickly so they don't have to go a long way of catching up. It's very rushed and undermines the Z-Fighters efforts, but what can we do.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 am

cuartas wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am That trailer was Awful!

Like, they didn't even try to replicate the style fighterZ has which I would be ok with, because it tries it's best to hide the 3D and allows for interesting shots, this is not even trying to deviate from being a 3D cutscene from a videogame.

I'm gonna bring something up, the fact that video cards for pc's are even triple the price right now is because people are stupid enough to purchase it to scalpers, manufacturers realized people are willing to pay anything for their products and they're even setting ludicrous MSRP's for their new cards and apparently hoarding chips to keep the shortage alive, and that's because the people threw a bone at them and they're basically not letting go this chance to increase their profits.

Same thing with 3D animation, this movie becomes successful because of people just eating everything it's thrown at them, and say goodbye forever to anything created by Shida, Takahashi, Higashide, Manabe, Shimanuki, Nikaido, Shintani and many other wonderful people out there, TOEI is not stupid and will do everything to maximize their profits.

And about the potential plot, I can care less about a re-release of a Piccolo training a saiyan's plot, didn't you have enough with Gohan? also, the low stakes here are pretty clear, the epicness factor may not be there.
Also, I'm gonna be honest, the only disappointment I have about DBS Broly was the fact we didn't see Ultra Instinct Goku there. That transformation brought an interesting concept for fights and I always was interested to see UI Goku moves handled by the best animators in a movie. Seems this movie will not even need a SSG Goku if Pan is going to take a mayor role here, she's so weak and for the sake of consistency I wouldn't ever think for a minute the final fight would have God levels of power coming from her.
In any case, if they for whatever reason brought UI Goku to this movie I think it wouldn't do justice to it with this cheap 3D animation.

This movie will be a sort of “skillcheck” on Dragonballs popularity so to speak. The brand name alone will be carrying this movie HARD. Cause I know for damn sure the animation and story won’t be.

Torn on if the fandom should let it to flop cause if it flops Toei will be like “hmm I guess they don’t want Dragonball anymore” but if it succeeds they will keep giving us this “made in unreal engine, hire this man Nintendo” esque movies.

I feel Something has happened behind the scenes with the franchise ever since 2018 ended that is not good. Look at the difference in promotion & overall lack of direction of the series since then speaks for itself .

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:45 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 am

This movie will be a sort of “skillcheck” on Dragonballs popularity so to speak. The brand name alone will be carrying this movie HARD. Cause I know for damn sure the animation and story won’t be.

Torn on if the fandom should let it to flop cause if it flops Toei will be like “hmm I guess they don’t want Dragonball anymore” but if it succeeds they will keep giving us this “made in unreal engine, hire this man Nintendo” esque movies.

I feel Something has happened behind the scenes with the franchise ever since 2018 ended that is not good. Look at the difference in promotion & overall lack of direction of the series since then speaks for itself .
The thing is toriyama is not gonna write a serious story anymore. He is past those days and that ended in dragonball in 1995, and if he write story's those will be silly gag story's like yo son goku . I think toei dosent continued dragon ball because the production fall apart in episode 5 of DBS even japan complained about that episode quality, so i think thats why they are taking time to finish 2 or 3 arcs in the DBS manga properly to adapt. Other thing is that no matter how much money DB make if toriyama said no that means no. But yes he is not going back to his old days of being serious those days are over.

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:58 am

here is my 2000$ (enough of 2 cents) take and predictions

-Goku will get screentime but he will be busy with broly on beerus planet. Not a single shot of goku on earth. I think both goku and vegeta will be testing themselves against broly while whis teaching him to how to retain his mind over his power.

-A gohan family Movie

-Saiyaman guranteed

-vegeta dies in this and forgotten for eternity

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:04 am

Here are my current thoughts on this movie. I wrote this in Japanese on Twitter, and I don't want to bother to translate all of it myself, so this was translated with DeepL, a little modified manually.

The popularity of "Broly" owed a lot to the massive, overwhelming amount of hand drawings. I don't think it is a wise decision to not only lose it all, but to put all the effort into 3D CGI, which has been particularly unpopular since "Battle of Gods".

The reason why I don't think it's wise is because while Broly succeeded in entering the niche of "presenting Hollywood-style action with a mass production of hand-drawn pictures," this film has no visual appeal that differentiates it from other entertainment blockbusters. I don't know whom it's trying to appeal to. If they are thinking that "Dragon Ball is now fully animated in 3D" is enough to attract people all over the world, they are clearly wrong. What matters here is "what can be achieved and expressed as a 3D animation", and there is nothing surprising or attractive about CGI itself.

With the visual expression achieved in Broly, the expectations for the Dragon Ball movies have risen considerably around the world, and if they dare to employ 3D CGI this time, they need to be able to present something different. With the development of the so-called "full animation" style in Pixar's films and the expansion of limited animation seen in movies such as Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, the bar has been raised high for 3D CGI itself to be attractive. It's getting harder and harder. The question is: what can Toei present on the same ground?

If they are thinking that people are going to be surprised in a good way by only seeing Goku moving in CGI, then they must be too naive. To begin with, we have already been seeing Dragon Ball in 3D for over 20 years through video games. And we've already seen the limited-animation style CGI in Fighterz. The reason why such 3D expressions in games have been welcomed is because they are "recreations of anime and manga". There is a sense of excitement in seeing the "mainstream" visuals of manga and anime being replicated in CGI that can be also manipulated to achieve flexible and freely rendered gameplay. They cannot be moved by the fact that the "mainstream", which was supposed to be the goal of reproduction, falls into a (degraded) reproduction of itself using CGI as an alternative expression. If they dare to adopt a different way of expression, they need something to make it "mainstream" at the same level or beyond what has been achieved by hand-drawn animation until then.

If there is something that can differentiate the visual aspect from the aforementioned Hollywood 3D animation and the hand-drawn animation that has been sophisticated up to now, it would be a new way of representation of Akira Toriyama's art style.
The usage of 3D CGI can be justified only if they can maximize the appeal of CGI by facing Akira Toriyama's art on a zero-base again, forgetting what they had been doing in hand-drawn animation. If it remains to be merely a substitute sort of expression, it is meaningless. Or, if they are aiming for a meaningful 3D CGI version as a development of what "Broly" achieved, they can aim for a new niche such as a overwhelming stereoscopic action-packed animation with high frame rate screenings in IMAX or Dolby Cinema.

However, it has been stated from the beginning that unlike the previous film, this one will not be focused on fighting, and as you can see from the trailer, it will be animated in the limited style with reduced frames. It's the complete opposite of the aforementioned strategy, and I am not sure what the point of using CGI is at this point. If you look back at the parts where 3D models were used to represent characters in Battle of Gods and later, you'll see that there are only very few usages of CGI that seem necessary. The use of Unity in the last part of "Broly" did work to some extent, but that was just the background.
Basically, they were merely self-satisfied and compromising uses of CGI which fall into "we did it because we wanted to" or "we used CGI because it was too hard to draw it by hand" sort of mentalities. Viewers could easily pick up their corner-cutting that exuded from their attitude, so I can't say that it was well received by people to my knowledge.

In light of this, I think it's natural to be concerned that this time hand-drawn animation was replaced with CGI only with the aforementioned mindset. I hope that this concern turns out to be unfounded, but I think that many people frankly feel that it is difficult to say that what is currently out there has enough persuasive power to overturn it.

Also, it is easy to imagine that the switch to 3D CGI has already brought about negative impact on their business. Four years of absence of animated contents is obviously too long.

2013 - Battle of Gods
2015 - Resurrection "F"
2018 - Broly
2022 - Super Hero

Between "Battle of Gods" and the release of "F", there was Dragon Ball Kai, and between that and the release of "Broly", there was the TV series of DBS. From then to now, there has been no contents on TV at all, and there is a strong sense of blankness, which makes me wonder whether it was caused by the decision to risk everything by suddenly switching to 3D CGI, which they are not familiar with. If you want to keep the public's interest in your work, it is important to continue to develop it in an uninterrupted manner so that it can be seen by a wide range of people. For children, 4-5 years of absence can be too long, and it can produce a generation unfamiliar with the franchise. There are still contents like the web streaming of the Heroes anime and the manga serialization, but in my opinion, these alone are not enough to keep the general public's interest in the franchise. The sales figures of the franchise in the financial results have been slowly declining since the release of Broly until the forecast for the next fiscal year ending March 31, 2022. The figures have remained relatively high, and it seems that people's interest in the IP as a whole has not declined much. However, these numbers are probably supported by the smartphone games, so I think those figures do not show how much appeal the franchise is still maintaining among children, which are (or should be) the main target audience.

Rather than leaving the main development halfway and creating a gap, and suddenly throwing all their energy into something requires techniques that they are unfamiliar with, as an experiment, they could have tried producing 3D CGI works under major VoD services such as Netflix and Prime Video, and continued the development of the franchise without interruption while investigating how CGI can work on Dragon Ball. I think there could have been a safer way to switch to a new technology. All in all, based on what I've seen, I don't think it's a wise decision to switch to full 3D CGI for the new movie. If there are any drastic changes or improvements until the theatrical release, it could end up a good decision, but I can't help but be pessimistic about the current situation.

Even when a sequel itself ends up mediocre, if the previous movie in a series has high sales, the general public's level of expectation will increase and the box office of the sequel can start out very well. After that, however, the growth will depend on the potential of the production, but from what I've seen so far, I have a feeling that that will not be the case this time. My personal prediction is that unless something miraculous happens or the scale of release is greatly expanded worldwide, the total box office sales will probably be lower than those of Broly.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:55 am

kei17 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:04 amMy personal prediction is that unless something miraculous happens or the scale of release is greatly expanded worldwide, the total box office sales will probably be lower than those of Broly.
Yeah, I also think that this movie won't perform anywhere near as well as Broly for a few reasons.
1. Broly benefitted from releasing hot on the heels of the Super anime series wrapping up. People wanted more Dragon Ball anime after the ToP wrapped up. Super Hero has had pretty much nothing since Broly released. Most of the fandom don't care about the manga or the Heroes web anime.
2. Broly was an established well-known character prior to the film's release, so a lot of people were amped up to watch the film just to see one of their favourite non-canon characters. Super Hero doesn't really have that going for it and seems to be a completely original film (which is a good thing, but it might hurt its box office revenue compared to Broly).
3. The CG might actually put a lot of people off from seeing it.

Unless if the film pulls off some kinda Mugen Train miracle in Japan, I don't see this making crazy numbers. I'm imagining something around Resurrection F's box office numbers.

It's so bizzare to think that between Broly and Super Hero, there's really been nothing significant that released in the franchise. I never really thought about what kind of affect that would have on kids who followed Super's run on TV. 4 years is a long ass time for a kid. You would think after the numbers that Broly pulled off that they would want to follow up on that money train ASAP.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to believe that they decided to make a CG film because Toei just don't have enough animators to work on a traditionally animated Dragon Ball production. Heroes is about as much as they can pull off and that moves about as much as a PowerPoint presentation at times. Its release schedule is also inconsistent as hell.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:06 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:45 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 am

The thing is toriyama is not gonna write a serious story anymore. He is past those days and that ended in dragonball in 1995, and if he write story's those will be silly gag story's like yo son goku . I think toei dosent continued dragon ball because the production fall apart in episode 5 of DBS even japan complained about that episode quality, so i think thats why they are taking time to finish 2 or 3 arcs in the DBS manga properly to adapt. Other thing is that no matter how much money DB make if toriyama said no that means no. But yes he is not going back to his old days of being serious those days are over.
Revival of F, Future Trunks arc, TOP and Broly.....are those not "serious" stories?

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am

How would you feel about Broly being the next god of destruction ?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:11 am

Jinto wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am How would you feel about Broly being the next god of destruction ?
Why would Broli want to be a Destruction God?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:20 am

Jinto wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am How would you feel about Broly being the next god of destruction ?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:29 am

I'd feel the universe would be safer with Zeno doing cocaine.