Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:05 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:26 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:15 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:03 am In all likelihood, they just don't have time or staff to do a hand drawn film.
Has anyone found out if its a hard rule @ Toei that they have to make a db film every 3 years? I feel we've been waiting this long why not wait another year or 2 for the animators to free up? Financially the franchise is still #1 both at Toei & Bandai even after Super has been off the air all these years so it can't be about a lack of revenue/money.
It's being made now because the production committee wants it now. Simple as that. I also imagine that for Toei Animation as a business they want to develop their 3DCG capabilities so as to appeal to foreign markets and prepare for a future in which 3DCG animation is needed for a greater number of projects.
Ugh its unfortunate Dragonball has to be the test subject for this hopefully the Trailer blows away the 3DCG concerns. I wish Toei wasnt always so hasty to push out a Dragonball product.

Spadexxione

Post by Spadexxione » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:01 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:05 am

Has anyone found out if its a hard rule @ Toei that they have to make a db film every 3 years? I feel we've been waiting this long why not wait another year or 2 for the animators to free up? Financially the franchise is still #1 both at Toei & Bandai even after Super has been off the air all these years so it can't be about a lack of revenue/money.
It's being made now because the production committee wants it now. Simple as that. I also imagine that for Toei Animation as a business they want to develop their 3DCG capabilities so as to appeal to foreign markets and prepare for a future in which 3DCG animation is needed for a greater number of projects.
Ugh its unfortunate Dragonball has to be the test subject for this hopefully the Trailer blows away the 3DCG concerns. I wish Toei wasnt always so hasty to push out a Dragonball product.
It is really unfortunate that Dragon Ball is always treated half hassedly by companies

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:00 am

I'm guessing they feel it's less risky to do this with DB and assume no matter what it'll still make a lot of money.

I can't imagine them making a One Piece cgi movie because despite it being more popular than DB in Japan, OP's not as popular in the U.S. and their goal with cgi is to jump into western animation trends to get a bigger audience.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:36 pm

Wonder if this movie has the potential to give something relatively fresh. Kinda tired of the same things again and again, so the timeskip and Pan looking a bit older might provide some new but much needed air.

I definitely shouldn't get my hopes up, but hopefully we do actually see Goten, Trunks, Marron and Bra older. Other characters with new/different outfits. Pan and the other younger cast be the actual protagonists, or at least more screentime than usual.

Something new, please.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Chuquita wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:00 am I'm guessing they feel it's less risky to do this with DB and assume no matter what it'll still make a lot of money.

I can't imagine them making a One Piece cgi movie because despite it being more popular than DB in Japan, OP's not as popular in the U.S. and their goal with cgi is to jump into western animation trends to get a bigger audience.
They did make an One Piece CGI movie, Movie 11: https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/One_Pi ... _Hat_Chase

Granted, it wasn’t a massive movie.

Not sure how it’s hasty when this will be Toei’s first real Dragon Ball project since Dragon Ball Super Broly that came out in 2018. Unless we’re counting Heroes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:35 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:00 pm
Chuquita wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:00 am I'm guessing they feel it's less risky to do this with DB and assume no matter what it'll still make a lot of money.

They did make an One Piece CGI movie, Movie 11: https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/One_Pi ... _Hat_Chase

Interesting! I wonder if they took advantage of the medium in regards to direction. If they did this a decade ago I wonder if any of the same staff are working on Super Hero.

The OP film being 30 minutes long makes me wonder if that was to test the waters or if that's all they were capable of doing with cgi at the time.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Spadexxione

Post by Spadexxione » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:53 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Not sure how it’s hasty when this will be Toei’s first real Dragon Ball project since Dragon Ball Super Broly that came out in 2018. Unless we’re counting Heroes.
It's hasty if they are using cgi because of lack of manpower and budget caused by the virus. If they would have decided to make it in cgi regardless then it's a voluntary downgrade from the previous movie and since we've seen how gorgeous it can be in the 50th anniversary trailer from toei it's even more disappointing. Not saying that it will be bad but it is inferior

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:11 pm

Nobody posted it yet, but there was a new interview on V-Jump, which was translated by Cipher (if you are reading this, thank you!): https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/14 ... 16769?s=20

Not much new but I like how they are reiterating that this will be basically the opposite of Broly’s. There will also be new designs for other existing characters so I can’t wait for them to show us! Hopefully Goku will finally wear his end of Z gi, but I am also curious to see what Gohan will look like as he’s the most likely candidate for a fresh new look.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:46 pm

I'm getting "Yo! Son Goku" vibes from this movie after the interview :P
Feels like Super Hero will be cheerful and with lots of fun moments and smaller scale fights that won't be for fate of the Planet/Universe (watch it somehow happen anyway :lol: )

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:50 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:11 pm Nobody posted it yet, but there was a new interview on V-Jump, which was translated by Cipher (if you are reading this, thank you!): https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/14 ... 16769?s=20

Not much new but I like how they are reiterating that this will be basically the opposite of Broly’s. There will also be new designs for other existing characters so I can’t wait for them to show us! Hopefully Goku will finally wear his end of Z gi, but I am also curious to see what Gohan will look like as he’s the most likely candidate for a fresh new look.
If he does, it’s near the end because he’s wearing orange.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:29 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:11 pm Nobody posted it yet, but there was a new interview on V-Jump, which was translated by Cipher (if you are reading this, thank you!): https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/14 ... 16769?s=20

I also offer my thanks! This is definitely the right move. I'm interested in the "pop" aesthetic they're going for. I imagine that means pop culture in a 60's sort of way.

"Pop art is an art movement that emerged in the United Kingdom and the United States during the mid- to late-1950s. The movement presented a challenge to traditions of fine art by including imagery from popular and mass culture, such as advertising, comic books and mundane mass-produced objects."
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 pm

I wanted to read the rest of the interview but when I click "show this thread" it asks me to login. Is this from a Twitter update? I didn't need an account before to do that.

Edit:
Nevermind I Googled Cipher's Twitter account then scrolled down his feed. You can see the rest without needing to click "show this thread".

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:31 pm

When I saw that the aesthetic motif was "pop", my mind instantly went to the works of Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and the 50's/60's pop art movement in general. That could mean lots of flat tones and stylized comic effects (a commonality in pop art) incorporated into the film's style, which would no doubt fit its super hero theme.

Not much else new there, but big thanks to Cipher for the translation and summary.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Given the aesthetic theme, coupled with its highlighting its aesthetic faithfulness to Toriyama, I’m going to go ahead and guess that we’ll get some on-screen text sound-effects—probably using the Latin alphabet—something DB animation has shied away from outside of very-rare instances in the past.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:29 am

Cipher wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:25 pm Given the aesthetic theme, coupled with its highlighting its aesthetic faithfulness to Toriyama, I’m going to go ahead and guess that we’ll get some on-screen text sound-effects—probably using the Latin alphabet—something DB animation has shied away from outside of very-rare instances in the past.
If they do end up doing that, then this truly will be Dragon Ball Super: Spider-Verse and I’m all for that.

Everything I’ve heard in regards to the story and Toriyama’s involvement sounds great so far. They really need to nail the visuals, though. I’m crossing my fingers that they’ll get this right.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:40 pm

So is Shintani just not gonna be involved? That’s a bit of a let down.
Then again, perhaps they will get someone more experienced with 3D graphics...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:02 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:29 am
If they do end up doing that, then this truly will be Dragon Ball Super: Spider-Verse and I’m all for that.

Everything I’ve heard in regards to the story and Toriyama’s involvement sounds great so far. They really need to nail the visuals, though. I’m crossing my fingers that they’ll get this right.
It took 4 years and over 800 animators for Enter the Spiderverse to look as good as it did. Toei has little to no staff available and a entirely new team without Shintani is working on this. I highly doubt this film will look anything close to a DB Spiderverse

Story wise it’s a mixed bag longtime fans who are tired of the universal threat battles might enjoy it. But for the casual audience who usually expect that will avoid this movie. DB movies strength (w/ the updated animation) in high box office sales (at least in North America) lies in casual market.
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:41 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:02 am

It took 4 years and over 800 animators for Enter the Spiderverse to look as good as it did. Toei has little to no staff available and a entirely new team without Shintani is working on this. I highly doubt this film will look anything close to a DB Spiderverse

Story wise it’s a mixed bag fans who are tired of the universal threat battles might enjoy it. But for the casual audience who usually expect that will avoid this movie. DB movies strength (w/ the updated animation). In high box office sales (at least in North America) lies in casual market.
May not look as good, but let's not pretend that Toei has no experience with CGI. If you want and idea what the movie will look like, you can look at Precure which legit has very good 3D animation. And please stop wanking Shintani. He's great, but he isn't the end all.

And we can't really judge the story because, we don't know anything about it besides it won't be an intense as Broly, but some are acting like it's going to be like Yo Son Goku. That and people really do make too many assumptions about what the 'casual' fan wants.
Kanassa wrote:

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:41 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:02 am

Story wise it’s a mixed bag fans who are tired of the universal threat battles might enjoy it. But for the casual audience who usually expect that will avoid this movie. DB movies strength (w/ the updated animation). In high box office sales (at least in North America) lies in casual market.
May not look as good, but let's not pretend that Toei has no experience with CGI. If you want and idea what the movie will look like, you can look at Precure which legit has very good 3D animation. And please stop wanking Shintani. He's great, but he isn't the end all.

And we can't really judge the story because, we don't know anything about it besides it won't be an intense as Broly, but some are acting like it's going to be like Yo Son Goku. That and people really do make too many assumptions about what the 'casual' fan wants.
In the recent interview of V-jump they said this movie will be slice of life story filled with vibrant colors(pop asthetics) of Toriyama's world. However the intensity will be present , its a fresh mix new elements and what Dragon Ball is famous for (Which is of course fighting and telling a story through combat).But if it manage to tell a good story then i think it will sell well. but will it beat Demon slayer movie? that remain to be seen.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:27 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 am But if it manage to tell a good story then i think it will sell well. but will it beat Demon slayer movie? that remain to be seen.
Yeah, I do not think so. I believe that Dragon Ball is a bit too juvenile to be THAT popular with theater audiences. I am sure that PART of why Demon Slayer (and Spirited Away for that matter) did so well was because they were able to attract a wider range of age demographics for its audience.
However, it could be in the same ballpark, but not in the same tier.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san