Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Skar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pmWe're pretty sure that more Digimon will take the slot but we're noy quite sure what form yet. I have to wonder if Adventure 2020 will just continue on since high-quality BANK animation keeps being made.
How are the TV ratings for the Digimon reboot? I checked a few random weeks on ANN's TV ratings list but Digimon wasn't in the top 10 or any week. I also checked Toei's financial statements and Digimon is their 4th best performing series in Overseas Film but not in top 4 for the two categories. I suppose it's still successful enough to keep going on short notice. I assume they would've announced it by now if it was meant to be a new series.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:41 pm

I'm surprised Digimon is still a thing in 2021. All the original fans have got to be 30+ year old adults now and moved on, and younger kids probably aren't as into it as the original generation.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:59 pm

precita wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:41 pm I'm surprised Digimon is still a thing in 2021. All the original fans have got to be 30+ year old adults now and moved on, and younger kids probably aren't as into it as the original generation.
Well the same could be said about any series getting some continuation a few decades later. There were five spin-offs lasting until 2017 after Adventure 02 then there was Digimon Adventure Tri and Last Evolution before the reboot so it wasn't off the air for very long.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:48 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:48 am I just noticed that Nappa's one of the exclusive figures for comic con. Could he be the slightly unexpected character to return?! (BTW, this is a wild guess out of nowhere else than these figures, it'd be strange for a new Nappa figure to be showing now, though).

https://www.db-z.com/comicconhome-2021- ... xclusives/
It's an understandable guess. I don't see any reason why they would put Nappa in there together with SSG Goku, Beerus and Whis. I don't think he's even that popular. Another dead old character being back is disappointing enough, so it may be true
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:44 am

There's no reason to think Nappa would be brought back, outside of flashbacks like they did in the Broly movie.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:49 am

What the fuck are they gonna do with Nappa? He was little more than a buff brute who followed Vegeta's commands. Fucking Raditz has more potential to be worked with than him.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Maybe Vegeta will decide to use the Dragon Balls to wish the other Saiyans back and restore his status as Prince/King Vegeta? That's the only way I could see Nappa being brought back. It would be kind of weird for Vegeta to suddenly decide to do that, though. Funnily enough, I don't think it would be too hard to convince Nappa or Raditz to be good guys. With Vegeta, their monarch, telling them to change, what are they going to do? Fight him? Wouldn't take long for them to realize how outmatched they are by both Goku and Vegeta.

But more likely than not, Nappa will still be dead. And if he's in the next movie at all, he won't even be an important piece of it. Remember how hyped people were for Piccolo when we saw his concept art for DBS: Broly? lol. All he did in that movie was coach Goku and Vegeta as they learned to do the Fusion Dance together.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:01 am

precita wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:41 pm I'm surprised Digimon is still a thing in 2021. All the original fans have got to be 30+ year old adults now and moved on, and younger kids probably aren't as into it as the original generation.
A bit off-topic, but as 30+ old fan who grew up on the first two series, I am not much of a fan of it today.
Dragon Ball still appeals to me with the martial arts and being based on ''mature'' wuxia motives, but don't see the appeal of Digimon anymore, as it was mostly about the creature designs and evolution, that was cool for kids back then, the same way like Power Rangers.
Still think that it is better than Pokémon, but unless the reboot caught some new fans among kids, me and lot of people who grew up on the series just have it in our minds as the nostalgia thought about what we were watching as a kids at the dawn of millenium.
I have tried the Digimon OAV reboot, but it was kinda boring and like watching the same kid show, haven't noticed any appeal for me as a grew up old fan, maybe if I had a kids and was like: ''Look, this is a new version of a series I watched as a kid, let's watch it together and see if you like it too.''

That's why I loved Battle Of Gods, more so the director's cut, it was like Dragon Ball jumped back in what was so great about it, from humor, easter eggs to the action.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:38 am

People always forget that Digimon started as a keychain digital pet. They apparently never stopped making those in Japan, but America only got version 1 and its 20th anniversary remake (I'm surprised we even got that). They also still sell video games. A new Digimon World came out just last year, I think.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 pm

Just wondering if anyone thinks we'll get an early leak of something that could possibly be shown on the 23rd, on the 22nd or if you guys think TOEI will keep whatever as close to there chest as possible?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:00 am

Retan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 pm Just wondering if anyone thinks we'll get an early leak of something that could possibly be shown on the 23rd, on the 22nd or if you guys think TOEI will keep whatever as close to there chest as possible?
I hope not. Leaks are not a good thing, I want to enjoy the leak live alongside everyone else. We just have to wait for another day and a half, it’s not much.

But with Toei’s track record it wouldn’t surprise me if they slip up once again. Broly’s poster (but also the first key art) and the second trailer were all leaked before the official announcement. But the first trailer wasn’t and it was nice to watch it live with everyone else.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:24 am

Leaks are great! I get the information sooner, can ignore it if I don't want it and can also tell capitalists to go fuck themselves! 💜
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 am

Is it a leak if it is official? I say it's more of a teaser

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 am

I will be very surprised if we get any substantial info about the movie. I think they're going to be as vague about it as they possibly can be and they'll just try to hype it up by saying there will be amazing action scenes, the bar has been raised higher than ever before, and it was a lot of fun to work on.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we get a 3 minute trailer.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:30 am

Hopefully a poster and some character sheets. And hopefully no surprises like it being a fully 3D movie :?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:40 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:30 am Hopefully a poster and some character sheets. And hopefully no surprises like it being a fully 3D movie :?
A 3D Dragon Ball film isn't inherently bad. It's the execution that is the tricky part.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:45 am

I really doubt that we're getting 3DCG. That being said, Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary was badass.
She/Her
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:48 pm

Waiting for a key visual and main staff confirmation at least.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 am I will be very surprised if we get any substantial info about the movie. I think they're going to be as vague about it as they possibly can be and they'll just try to hype it up by saying there will be amazing action scenes, the bar has been raised higher than ever before, and it was a lot of fun to work on.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we get a 3 minute trailer.

I mean I am hoping we get some actual information besides a new movie is coming which we already know (amazing action scenes would kind of amount to the same thing lol)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:08 pm

I feel like Nakamura Ryouta is pretty much guaranteed to get the director position this time. The only surprise left would be characters and voice actors at this point.
She/Her
bisexual milf