Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:03 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:10 am We are about to get a DB Evolution level movie only in anime form this time. Part of me hopes this film gets cancelled
What an immature comment. Toriyama, Toei and everyone involved are hyping up this movie a lot and you say this :thumbdown:
Come next year everyone will be praising this movie because it's supposedly lots of fun, and the plot won't change whether it's 3D or not.
To me Modern Toei has a developed a pattern of crapping the bed every other Dragonball movie. I'm way more worried about the visuals than the plot for this one which says a lot when every other movie its been the opposite for me.

BOG=Great comeback movie for the franchise
ROF=Terrible
DBSB=Great
Super Hero=
Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:54 amKinda off topic But is toriyama capable of writing a berserk level of movie ?
Tbh I'm not expecting a Beserk level plot from DB i mean if we got one i wouldn't mind but its not something i'm used to expecting from DB & would be quite jarring since its a more lighthearted & campy mixed with martial arts kind of series.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:01 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:10 am We are about to get a DB Evolution level movie only in anime form this time. Part of me hopes this film gets cancelled
What an immature comment. Toriyama, Toei and everyone involved are hyping up this movie a lot and you say this :thumbdown:
Come next year everyone will be praising this movie because it's supposedly lots of fun, and the plot won't change whether it's 3D or not.
To me Modern Toei has a developed a pattern of crapping the bed every other Dragonball movie. I'm way more worried about the visuals than the plot for this one which says a lot when every other movie its been the opposite for me.

ROF=Terrible
DBSB=Great
Super Hero=
Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:54 amKinda off topic But is toriyama capable of writing a berserk level of movie ?
Tbh I'm not expecting a Beserk level plot from DB i mean if we got one i wouldn't mind but its not something i'm used to expecting from DB & would be quite jarring since its a more lighthearted & campy mixed with martial arts kind of series.
I just hope that this movie dosent turn out to be like YO son goku , if this movie is anything like that (although i dont mind because I love dragon ball and everything about it) but what i afraid of is worldwide casual fans are gonna be pissed and the movie may not be a success, and if this movie fail forget about anime coming back.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:05 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 am

ROF=Terrible
DBSB=Great
Super Hero=
Why would Fukkatsu no F be terrible, it was a awesome film.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:32 pm

Because it's a pointless movie. It unnecessarily brings Freeza back, when it could have been someone more interesting or a new character altogether.

It goes nowhere: Freeza comes back. Recolors himself differently. Goku and Vegeta also got themselves a new (and terrible) recolor. Freeza is defeated. End. (and to that effect, the movie barely has a plot/story)

It doesn't add anything meaningful to the table. We could skip it, and we wouldn't miss anything.
Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:47 pm If this movie turned out be anything like Yo son goku and his friends, then it will be a huge dissapointment.
Why?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:01 am and if this movie fail forget about anime coming back.
It's the opposite though.

Toei knows just how popular Super can be; the anime broke streaming sites when the 109/110 Special aired, and the final episodes were literally live-streamed in stadiums and huge city centres. Super was absolutely mastodontic in size and popularity when it was airing.

So if this movie failed (as in, it would still make millions because it's Dragon Balls, but it could make significantly less money than the other movies), Toei would get the memo and continue Super and make it as big as the Future Trunks arc and ToP arc were (i.e. No repeat of that travesty that the first 3 arcs represented). Because they know Super can be massive (everyone has seen it), they just need to put some effort into it, i.e. not wait 4 years for new animated content.

Which would mean bringing back Super, adapt (i.e. make their own version that is consistent with previous animated arcs) the Moro and Granolah arc with the quality that the last 2 arcs had, and maybe delve into some original arcs like an arc centred around Planet Sadala.

While if this movie was a huge success like Broly, Toei would continue to keep Super on hiatus because why bring it back when you make billions with one movie every 4 years?

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:35 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 pm
Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:01 am and if this movie fail forget about anime coming back.

Toei knows just how popular Super can be; the anime broke streaming sites when the 109/110 Special aired, and the final episodes were literally live-streamed in stadiums and huge city centres. Super was absolutely mastodontic in size and popularity when it was airing.

So if this movie failed (as in, it would still make millions because it's Dragon Balls, but it could make significantly less money than the other movies), Toei would get the memo and continue Super and make it as big as the Future Trunks arc and ToP arc were (i.e. No repeat of that travesty that the first 3 arcs represented). Because they know Super can be massive (everyone has seen it), they just need to put some effort into it, i.e. not wait 4 years for new animated content.

Which would mean bringing back Super, adapt (i.e. make their own version that is consistent with previous animated arcs) the Moro and Granolah arc with the quality that the last 2 arcs had, and maybe delve into some original arcs like an arc centred around Planet Sadala.

While if this movie was a huge success like Broly, Toei would continue to keep Super on hiatus because why bring it back when you make billions with one movie every 4 years?
Yes i know that the whole dragon ball media franchise is huge and worth 27.7 billion dollar up there with batman and spider man. I know dragon Ball is massive. The thing is since then 3 years have been passed and granolah arc so far is very dissapointing , and toei known to be very heartless thats why i am very concerned.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Yes i know that the whole dragon ball media franchise is huge and worth 27.7 billion dollar up there with batman and spider man. I know dragon Ball is massive. The thing is since then 3 years have been passed and granolah arc so far is very dissapointing , and toei known to be very heartless thats why i am very concerned.
Maybe if One Piece would finally end after 100000 episodes Toei would be able to devote more resources to Super, until then I'm afraid Toei will have other things to care about :roll:

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:13 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Maybe if One Piece would finally end after 100000 episodes Toei would be able to devote more resources to Super, until then I'm afraid Toei will have other things to care about :roll:
Well, I hope this new character we got for Super Hero is either a member or exiled member of the Galactic Patrol.
I don't know if Toriyama and staff are just not gonna give us Cooler.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:32 pm Because it's a pointless movie. It unnecessarily brings Freeza back, when it could have been someone more interesting or a new character altogether.

It goes nowhere: Freeza comes back. Recolors himself differently. Goku and Vegeta also got themselves a new (and terrible) recolor. Freeza is defeated. End. (and to that effect, the movie barely has a plot/story)

It doesn't add anything meaningful to the table. We could skip it, and we wouldn't miss anything.
Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:47 pm If this movie turned out be anything like Yo son goku and his friends, then it will be a huge dissapointment.
Why?
It gave Goku a reason to choose Freeza for the TOP because he was the strongest villian at that point.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:46 pm

That still doesn't warrant a movie.

'Let's call Freeza because he got strong after just four months of training through unknown methods and even recolored himself".

We would later find out that Freeza did "mental training" and that seemingly was enough for him to improve the "Golden Form". This should have been rewritten as the excuse to use him in the tournament and to introduce the Golden Form instead. We're talking about sixteen years of mental training. That would be a lot better than just four months of randomness that put Freeza above everyone else that came after him.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:16 am

When the Broly movie dropped its somewhat (not completely) absolved the sins Super committed on the franchise. With a majority of people already hating the Moro arc & this arc (somewhat). You need a movie on the level of a DBS Broly to kind of reassure everyone "Hey we still know how to make good show/movie with Dragonball".

With DB still being Toei's #1 earning IP 3 years after the show has been off the air its baffling to me that they don't move heaven and earth to get 2-d animators for a single standalone movie. When the Slam Dunk movie thats coming out is 2-d animated the excuse of "the animators were busy" Its gonna look real funny.
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:32 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:16 am When the Broly movie dropped its somewhat (not completely) absolved the sins Super committed on the franchise. With a majority of people already hating the Moro arc & this arc (somewhat). You need a movie on the level of a DBS Broly to kind of reassure everyone "Hey we still know how to make good story/movie with Dragonball".

With DB still being Toei's #1 earning IP 3 years after the show has been off the air its baffling to me that they don't move heaven and earth to get 2-d animators for a single standalone movie. When the Slam Dunk movie thats coming out is 2-d animated the excuse of "the animators were busy" Its gonna look real funny.
The Future Trunks arc already absolved Super of that travesty that were the first 3 arcs. Episode 47 was absolutely huge when it aired, it was the first time that Super finally proved it could be serious and reach the levels of Z. Which it did. Then when episode 66 dropped, the episode of Vegito and Trunks vs. Zamasu, people absolutely started praising Super and saying it was the best show ever (and nerds online complained about the power-scaling, but they complain about everything so it's whatever).

So basically the Broly movie was so successful because people LOVED Super after the Future Trunks and ToP arc. The Broly movie was kind of riding on the hype that the whole ToP arc generated (the final episodes again were literally live-streamed). Toei were smart to make the Broly movie a few months after the ToP arc ended, when interest in the franchise was still fresh.

This new movie, that is the only animated DB content coming out in 4 years, will it generate as much hype? No.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:32 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:16 am When the Broly movie dropped its somewhat (not completely) absolved the sins Super committed on the franchise. With a majority of people already hating the Moro arc & this arc (somewhat). You need a movie on the level of a DBS Broly to kind of reassure everyone "Hey we still know how to make good story/movie with Dragonball".

The Future Trunks arc already absolved Super of that travesty that were the first 3 arcs. Episode 47 was absolutely huge when it aired, it was the first time that Super finally proved it could be serious and reach the levels of Z. Which it did. Then when episode 66 dropped, the episode of Vegito and Trunks vs. Zamasu, people absolutely started praising Super and saying it was the best show ever (and nerds online complained about the power-scaling, but they complain about everything so it's whatever).

So basically the Broly movie was so successful because people LOVED Super after the Future Trunks and ToP arc. The Broly movie was kind of riding on the hype that the whole ToP arc generated (the final episodes again were literally live-streamed). Toei were smart to make the Broly movie a few months after the ToP arc ended, when interest in the franchise was still fresh.

This new movie, that is the only animated DB content coming out in 4 years, will it generate as much hype? No.
I think it would generate a similar amount amount hype if you knew the animation was on point & who the enemy of the movie was. All they showed to build "hype" was a short CGI clip of Goku jumping around that looked like something DevilArtemis could make in Blender.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:15 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 am

I think it would generate a similar amount amount hype if you knew the animation was on point & who the enemy of the movie was. All they showed to build "hype" was a short CGI clip of Goku jumping around that looked like something DevilArtemis could make in Blender.
Yes and that was weird. You'd think they would reveal the main villain first, like they did with Broly. They didn't instantly say what his name was but they revealed the villain was a Saiyan from the past.

Are Toriyama and Toei trying to tell us... that the villains won't be anyone interesting? :think:

In that case I'm afraid the movie won't do that well. The villain is always the most important character in an entire story, since they are the ones who drive the story, and if the villain is just some ugly generic Scooby Doo enemy... well...

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am

Exactly that is what i am saying heroes is absolute garbage it literally exist for selling trading cards in japan and thats it. After hearing it will be a slice of life movie some people were already turned off, and recently in argentina they banned super for master roshi sexual harassment case.My question is what kind of outdated marketing plan is this ? why are they rerunning it again in cable tv when it can be seen in crunchyroll ? Things are getting really sloppy.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:28 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am and recently in argentina they banned super for master roshi sexual harassment case.
Okay that's actually stupid honestly. You shouldn't ban the entire show just because of one controversial scene. Especially when some arcs don't even feature Roshi at all (The Future Trunks arc for instance doesn't feature Roshi at all aside from the Mafuba scene, same thing for the U6 arc...).

Let's ban the entire show instead of just removing that one scene or not airing that episode, that's a smart move :roll:

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:42 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am

Exactly that is what i am saying heroes is absolute garbage it literally exist for selling trading cards in japan and thats it. After hearing it will be a slice of life movie some people were already turned off, and recently in argentina they banned super for master roshi sexual harassment case.My question is what kind of outdated marketing plan is this ? why are they rerunning it again in cable tv when it can be seen in crunchyroll ? Things are getting really sloppy.
i had high hopes for the assembly of the Dragonball Room @ Toei & Shueisha a couple years back. I thought they'd play a much more of a role in presenting fresh new ideas for the franchise but we never found out who else is on the team aside from the usual suspects (Iyoku,Toyotaro etc). So it could be a bunch of old suits with $ symbols in their eyes pitching & :thumbup: any and everything lmao.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:26 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am Exactly that is what i am saying heroes is absolute garbage it literally exist for selling trading cards in japan and thats it.
First of all, the Heroes anime never advertised itself as anything more. Second, it's a Japan-only series that rest of the world isn't legally allowed to watch anyway. Crying about it is literally worthless.
Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am After hearing it will be a slice of life movie some people were already turned off
We'll see how many were turned off when the box office numbers come. All these Internet boycotts never tend to work compared to what official data says.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:26 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am Exactly that is what i am saying heroes is absolute garbage it literally exist for selling trading cards in japan and thats it.
First of all, the Heroes anime never advertised itself as anything more. Second, it's a Japan-only series that rest of the world isn't legally allowed to watch anyway. Crying about it is literally worthless.
Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am After hearing it will be a slice of life movie some people were already turned off
We'll see how many were turned off when the box office numbers come. All these Internet boycotts never tend to work compared to what official data says.
I hope it will be a massive success , but rerunning the show again and again not generating the hype especially when the DB content is returning after 3 years. There have to have some kind of seriousness but it seems toriyama only focusing on the gag part which is fine but when 3 years have been passed you have to have somekind of hype content and seriousness behind it because so far the granolah arc is absolutely dessapointing.

Drepanosaurus

Post by Drepanosaurus » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:58 am

I hope to see it on the big screen. By next year, Covid should be heading towards the end with so many people being vaccinated.