Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lord godly da don
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by lord godly da don » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:45 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:35 pm I love that Toriyama gives no proper explanation for his forms as well now... He learned a lot from the anime team and Super Saiyan Rage Trunks.

Beast Gohan....come on. What's next?
But both new forms were explained

Gohan’s transformation name is literally what it is Gohan allowing himself to be completely consumed be his rage and evolving/awakening a new form same thing has been happening for years

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm

Okay, I'm certain "Son Gohan Beast" is 100% Toriyama embracing the old memes of ridiculous overdesigned SSJ forms the fandom has produced over the decades...

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm Okay, I'm certain "Son Gohan Beast" is 100% Toriyama embracing the old memes of ridiculous overdesigned SSJ forms the fandom has produced over the decades...
He's definitely poking fun at this fandom tendency, maybe even some self-deprecative meta humour.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:24 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:14 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm Okay, I'm certain "Son Gohan Beast" is 100% Toriyama embracing the old memes of ridiculous overdesigned SSJ forms the fandom has produced over the decades...
He's definitely poking fun at this fandom tendency, maybe even some self-deprecative meta humour.
I’m almost certain this is troll bait at this point.

I think he’s purposely pushing this stuff out to see how far Toei will take it to make a $dollar and how far the fandom will bend over backwards to justify it.

For all we know he could be laughing his butt off I’ve the fact that it’s even allowed to exist and no one has the guts to give a proper critique.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm

thinking about the description of Gohan Beast... isn't it basically the same as Broly, bringing out the animal=oozaru power inside of him?

So, Or, at least, something similar using the same concept?

Which in turn kinda works because New Broly is Savage Gohan for all purposes and intents.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:40 pm

I really liked the movie. The worst is Gohan's storyline which going by interviews the relevance of the character was suggested by others.

It's the type of story that didn't even need stakes so high. I feel like the fans appreciate focus on others characters, slice of life and more comedy.

I for sure do. I would eat up an anime/manga of Kuririn doing his policing, Pan and Piccolo shenanigans, Videl teaching martial arts, etc...

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:47 pm

I liked the movie too. The Beerus hitting on Cheelai was a bit disconcerting. But Cheelai is cute. And the emphasis on female butts in the film seemed a bit unnecessary.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 pm

I doubt Toriyama follows memes since he didn't even know Dragon Ball was that popular outside of Japan. It was most likely him just not being good at naming things. Hence, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan and calling extensions Super Saiyan forms 2 and 3. The only name he was really clever about is the Japanese name for UI.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 pm

Howling at the new Toriyama interviews

Funny names, wishy-washy design philosophies and powerscaling implications aside, the movie does generally hold up enjoyment-wise (transparent Cell arc/Bio-Broly blender with a Super twist it is and all, besides the Beerus planet/Saiyan trio section) and mostly technical-wise (CGI didn't especially bother me) on rewatches. Awaiting to see how much better the superhero-movielike OST does work in clearer practice, since aside from a few periods, it wasn't too memorable. I do wonder how the next movie will shape up after this (close to EOZ, new forms, new characters added to the status quo, etc) though.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:09 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm thinking about the description of Gohan Beast... isn't it basically the same as Broly, bringing out the animal=oozaru power inside of him?

So, Or, at least, something similar using the same concept?

Which in turn kinda works because New Broly is Savage Gohan for all purposes and intents.
People keep saying when are we gonna get canon Super Saiyan 4, but between this and Broly we’ve gotten it twice now. This is what SS4 by Toriyama looks like.

Then again, never say never.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:26 am

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 am Then restructure the plot to work him in. That's something that could have been done when the story was being developed. It's not like what we got was the only way it could have turned out.
I know that, I pointed out that because of the way it's structed Saiyaman would be out of place, there are still plenty of ways for him to work but they way they did it would be jarring.

I have no strong opinions about Saiyaman, I was just telling ya why he'd not really work with how the movie used Gohan's character.
Soba Mask wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:35 pm I love that Toriyama gives no proper explanation for his forms as well now... He learned a lot from the anime team and Super Saiyan Rage Trunks.

Beast Gohan....come on. What's next?

Say what you want about GT... But at least it tried to give a story to the new form as DBZ did and actually ecplained it.
To be fair, Blanco is a weird exception to Toriyama's transformations since it gets no explanations, everything else did, or at least, made sense with what was established already.

Also reminds me how the explanations about golden Oozaru were, odd, you could just assume it was SS stacked on top of Oozaru, but Vegeta's episode suggests Vegeta could get golden Oozaru back in saiyan saga if he actually trained, completely ignoring he didn't have SS yet... And then when he does get SS4, he starts as the usual brown Oozaru, then transforms into the golden one like it's SS, so what the hell's up with Golden Oozaru? Lol.
Kataphrut wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:09 am People keep saying when are we gonna get canon Super Saiyan 4, but between this and Broly we’ve gotten it twice now. This is what SS4 by Toriyama looks like.

Then again, never say never.
Now all they have to do is stack Broly's rage form with Gohan's Beast form :lol:
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:59 am

YamiGoku wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 amThis reminds me of when the anime was airing and there was one person who came back after every episode just to say "this is the last straw that broke camel back"
I remember that :) . I wonder what happened to that guy. I hope the camel's back is still okay since those were a lot of last straws.
I've thought the same thing about a few of the other forms to be honest. The Dragon Room has given several suggestions and we don't know where their inspiration came from. All the current DB artists hired by Shuiesha were former Doujinshi authors so Shuiesha should be aware of the memes and fanwork. It's hard to believe they wouldn't have shared any of that with Toriyama over the years.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:26 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm thinking about the description of Gohan Beast... isn't it basically the same as Broly, bringing out the animal=oozaru power inside of him?
No. In Broly, it was the power of the Oozaru. But in Gohan, it's something tied to the unlocks he got from the Great Elder on Namek and from the Elder Supreme Kai.

It still feels as something coming out of the blue.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:53 am

Zephyr wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:38 am Beast Mode Gohan is hilarious. I'm only disappointed he doesn't also have the scary face and pale/blue skin that Toriyama had originally considered.
Now that I've seen AT's drawing of beast Gohan, I think Mikado is right and he is trolling Toei :lol: The hair is crazy, I mean I saw it in the film and they made it look decent or even cool somehow for most of the shots, but it looks ridiculous.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:20 am

Lukmendes wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:26 am I know that, I pointed out that because of the way it's structed Saiyaman would be out of place, there are still plenty of ways for him to work but they way they did it would be jarring.
And that's my point: Nothing I've heard about the film suggests that Great Saiyaman would have be out of place if they had wanted him in there. They just didn't.

And to clarify, I don't think this is some major flaw that ruins the film or anything, just a missed opportunity.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 am

When the title was revealed, I also thought that the Great Saiyaman would be part of the plot with Gohan. Then again, I also thought this would be a Gohan movie.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 am

BWri wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:53 amThe hair is crazy, I mean I saw it in the film and they made it look decent or even cool somehow for most of the shots, but it looks ridiculous.
I wonder if this is how fandom today would have reacted to Super Saiyan 3's reveal. :lol:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Zephyr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 amI wonder if this is how fandom today would have reacted to Super Saiyan 3's reveal. :lol:
The thing about Super Saiyan 3 is that as ridiculous and over the top as it looks, it telegraphs to the reader/viewer rather easily what it is. This one is probably the first of Toriyama's new transformations that feels like it comes out of nowhere, first and foremost because there was no build up to it. Ultra Instinct is close behind.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:22 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 pmThis one is probably the first of Toriyama's new transformations that feels like it comes out of nowhere, first and foremost because there was no build up to it. Ultra Instinct is close behind.
Can't say I agree. In Episode 90 (I think?) of Super Gohan says this, which I had at the time written off as something which would never amount to anything:

It created enough expectation of a new Gohan form that just a couple of months ago people on Reddit were asking about it.

Ultra Instinct had even more build up. Ties into lessons Whis was teaching Goku and Vegeta as far back as F.

Super Saiyan 3, on the other hand, had absolutely no buildup whatsoever. Came completely out of nowhere.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm

Zephyr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 am
BWri wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:53 amThe hair is crazy, I mean I saw it in the film and they made it look decent or even cool somehow for most of the shots, but it looks ridiculous.
I wonder if this is how fandom today would have reacted to Super Saiyan 3's reveal. :lol:
There is a stylistic difference between Beast Gohan and SSJ3. The latter one fits into the artstyle of the anime. Its over the top, yes, but it fits. There were characters with a similar hairstyle long before (raditz).
Now beast gohan just looks ridicolous with that long ass spikey hair. its like a parody of dragon ball. something someone would draw to mock it. it just dont fit, in my opinion.
Also, the Beast gohan hair reminds me a lot of the first SSJ3 idea Toriyama had. The one he scrapped, because it looked stupid. He pretty much recycled an idea he scrapped 30 years ago... (without the eyebrows and a different color, tho)
Luso Saiyan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 pm
Zephyr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 amI wonder if this is how fandom today would have reacted to Super Saiyan 3's reveal. :lol:
The thing about Super Saiyan 3 is that as ridiculous and over the top as it looks, it telegraphs to the reader/viewer rather easily what it is. This one is probably the first of Toriyama's new transformations that feels like it comes out of nowhere, first and foremost because there was no build up to it. Ultra Instinct is close behind.
Ultra Instinct had a long build up since the first training sessions with Whis. We didnt know what it would look like, but it was teased long ago, just like the Super Saiyan in the namek saga (without namedropping, tho). For me its blue wich came out of nowhere. it was just there. no build up, nothing. Just "This is me mixing God with SSJ Ki", but thats it. Okay, the anime had an episode foreshadowing the Blue transformation, but that was after the movie release.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/