Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 am You've gotta love how hard they always go hyping Toriyama's involvement.
That's because his involvement is the reason why people come back for the series. GT left a bad taste in many people's mouths which is why we never saw anything new DB for 15+ because Toriyama didn't want to do new DB conent until after DBE cameout.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun May 09, 2021 3:56 pm

On the topic of what this movie is going to be about, I suspect it's going to be the Moro arc. When they say "unexpected character" I'm taking it that they are referring to
and his fight scene. I feel like this announcement is just a continuation of the grand tradition of the anime marketing to its audience while pretending the manga doesn't exist. Similar to how we pretty much never see a character in videogames before they appear in anime form.

Doing this as a movie also has the "benefit" for Toei of being able to do an extended retread for whenever we get a new TV series. Much like they did last time.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Thanos wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:47 pm I can't be the only one who finds the fact that this will release nearly a decade after Battle of Gods downright terrifying.

Also, I find the vocal portion of people wanting some kind of rehash puzzling. We already had Freeza: Part II and Broli: Electric Boogaloo and people want Golden Cell and CanonCoola. :? Why the aversion to brand new original stories with new characters?
I’d love to get an original story, but Dragon Ball pretty much exists for fanservice and nostalgia at this point.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun May 09, 2021 4:03 pm

Thanos wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:47 pm I can't be the only one who finds the fact that this will release nearly a decade after Battle of Gods downright terrifying.

Also, I find the vocal portion of people wanting some kind of rehash puzzling. We already had Freeza: Part II and Broli: Electric Boogaloo and people want Golden Cell and CanonCoola. :? Why the aversion to brand new original stories with new characters?
Dragonball is kinda in the same spot as Pokemon where they can reuse older material with a "brand new coat of paint" & it will still sell . But Occasionally make something new every now and then. With the terrible reception Moro got do you think they wanna go through that again or have a successful film off of something we are already familiar with?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 09, 2021 4:16 pm

The comic is already doing new storylines, though. A one-off film where we get a new perspective on characters that were relatively static when they first came around wouldn't hurt at all and would actually be fun, going by the Tournament of Power and Movie #20.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 pm

You could come up with an entirely new villain.

Or you could just recycle/canonize an already very popular and iconic villain.

One of these two options simply brings in more cash and internet traffic, and it's the reason why the "Enemy Saiyan" movie was about Broly and not Yamoshi like so many people thought.

So Yeah I'm 99% expecting a returning villain for this movie, I'll leave a 1% for an entirely new main villain because you never know with Dragon Ball.

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Sun May 09, 2021 4:39 pm

All this villian talk has got me thinking... Is it possible to create drama in a series like Dragon Ball without the existence of a central antagonist?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Gohanhx wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:39 pm All this villian talk has got me thinking... Is it possible to create drama in a series like Dragon Ball without the existence of a central antagonist?
I always think with Super and all... Is it possible to create a drama at all in a series set in 10 years gap before the original series epilogue where everyone is safe and sound?
Battle Of Gods was fun one shot at the time with interesting world building around the Gods and more Universes.
Now they are kinda stretching.

Oh no, *insert character, planet, whatever* is in great danger! - not working at all.
So probably a fishing trip family movie with Dragon Ball cast?
Last edited by MCDaveG on Sun May 09, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:46 pm

Gohanhx wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:39 pm All this villian talk has got me thinking... Is it possible to create drama in a series like Dragon Ball without the existence of a central antagonist?
Maybe in a filler/slice of life episode about baseball, but not in a record-breaking movie.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm

I wouldn't mind a reboot of a non-canon villain, but can we break the streak and not have three straight Dragon Ball films with rehashed characters? I understand it's more profitable but there might be risk of fatigue if they just keep recycling shit. It would be nice to have completely fresh material for the next one and maybe go onto do Coola or something after that but something on the level of Zamasu/Goku Black with a theatrical release and an ending that doesn't suck would be great.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Sure. Make the story a battle against something like old age or illness. Perhaps the passage of time has Gokuu facing a foe he never expected?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Would be nice to get past the Epilogue, as I have fatigue from Goten and Trunks being kids and threats that don't matter.
Let Goten and Trunks be useless but with updated designs and let's see Uub and Pan and other characters being older, without Vegeta growing kingstache.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Sun May 09, 2021 4:59 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:45 pm So probably a fishing trip family movie with Dragon Ball cast?
Sign me up.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun May 09, 2021 5:09 pm

I am completely for any new antagonist to be created cause the product needs to utilize new concepts or even take some others like from the heroes universe and/or others.

But I feel Cell has gotten left behind with the push with Freeza and such, so like to see Cell get his comeback due Allot! 8)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm

The greatest fan service they can give us is going past EoZ. No matter who is the villain, or who is the unexpected character, no fan-service will be completed if they don't take us where most of us want the story to be at.

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Sun May 09, 2021 5:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:52 pm Sure. Make the story a battle against something like old age or illness. Perhaps the passage of time has Gokuu facing a foe he never expected?
To add more dramatic flair: old man goku, looking back on his glory days and disillusioned with his geriatric lifestyle, decides to collect the Dragon Balls to wish for youth ( à la Piccolo Daimao). The journey takes him all across the Dragon World and he meets all kinds of people, including some familiar faces (Suno, Upa etc). Seeing the world again in all it's beauty and seeing his old friends deal with the question of their mortality in a very different manner, he reflects on his own life and thinks back on all the adventures and the crazy battles, and finally comes to terms with the the fact life is finite and all that matters is that you do the best you can with the time you have. Smiling, he rides off on Kinto'un, fulfilled by the life he's lived.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun May 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:54 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 am You've gotta love how hard they always go hyping Toriyama's involvement.
That's because his involvement is the reason why people come back for the series. GT left a bad taste in many people's mouths which is why we never saw anything new DB for 15+ because Toriyama didn't want to do new DB conent until after DBE cameout.
Many people in Japan also don’t read the Super manga because it isn’t written by Toriyama. They see as Toyo’s Dragon Ball and they’re not interested.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun May 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanos wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm I wouldn't mind a reboot of a non-canon villain, but can we break the streak and not have three straight Dragon Ball films with rehashed characters? I understand it's more profitable but there might be risk of fatigue if they just keep recycling shit. It would be nice to have completely fresh material for the next one and maybe go onto do Coola or something after that but something on the level of Zamasu/Goku Black with a theatrical release and an ending that doesn't suck would be great.
To be blunt, the general audience won’t care.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun May 09, 2021 7:19 pm

I'm happy for a new movie but hoping for a shake up.

After BoG we've just been on a treadmill. BoG greatly expanded the World but very little happened after that, it was mostly reusing old plots/characters like Mirai Trunks, Broly, #17, etc... Some better than others, overall I think it was negative.

This "unexpected character" is probably following the same trend. Hoping at the very list it's something solid like Broly, rehabilitating a character with a lot of potential.

The first thing that crossed my mind was Tsuru-sennin and Tao Pai Pai, so that's my prediction for unexpected character, Freeza got a second comeback, why not the World Greatest Assassin?

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun May 09, 2021 7:38 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:57 pm Would be nice to get past the Epilogue, as I have fatigue from Goten and Trunks being kids and threats that don't matter.
Let Goten and Trunks be useless but with updated designs and let's see Uub and Pan and other characters being older, without Vegeta growing kingstache.
We are getting very close to the 30-year mark of the kids’ debut. That was fine when the series had been over for so long, but Battle of Gods released nearly a decade ago and they even seem to shrink slightly with the passage of time. I wish Toriyama would just retcon the manga ending altogether. Not to mention Uub would have surely lost potential relevance by now, only being the reincarnation of Buu who is hardly the be-all end-all final boss that he once was. Maybe they can work in some kind of Whis training/god power with him but as it stands so much has happened since Buu it seems pretty irrelevant now.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.