Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:18 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:41 amDid this movie ruin the franchise as predicted?
Well, I believe it would a took a full animated arc like DBS Episode #005 to ruin the franchise lol

But, this movie indeed had some mixed reviews, I see many people praising its comedy and character interactions, but action itself is not even close to be appealing as was in the last movie.

I believe this movie would be way better received if shared the same artstyle of its predecessor and didn't go all out in madness having Gohan and Piccolo to transform out of nowhere (concepts that could be developed better in an actual arc). I mean what's the problem of having this duo dealing with folks like the Gammas in their actual forms? Do we really need a new damn form all the time? And don't get me start about Cell Max as "goku the krump dancer" has summed up the whole situation perfectly in my opinion:
goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:37 pm The biggest gripe I have is that the true final boss is just Cell again and it's like Gohan can't move past that moment in his life.

Anyway still going to watch it on theathers and hoping to fail badly to the point Toei never touches CGI again with DB and also interested in how they will adapt this one, once the anime returns.
HeroR wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:40 pm Dragon Ball is made with Japan in mind first and foremost. The international audience is secondary. Why do you think we’re getting this movie two months later.

And Toriyama himself had shown he doesn’t write with the international audience in mind because he used second form Cell because that’s his favorite form of Cell. Heck, he was going to write a move that starred Piccolo.
Cause this movie is just an CGI experiment? Also I don't think Broly is popular in Japan the same way he is in the West and that didn't stop Toei from pushing the man to create a reworked iteration of Broly in Super continuity.

So yea, Toriyama may not think much about the foreign audience, but Toei sure does seeing how was the treatment with previous movie compared to this one, they sure don't see us as "secondary".
fadeddreams5 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:53 pm Reusing Cell's design for a lame mindless kaiju that had nothing to do with Cell just because this was a movie starring Gohan felt unnecessary and uninspired. The whole execution was just so bad. No PTSD from Gohan or anything from seeing "Cell." They did nothing with it.
Are you kidding me? Don't tell me that from the moment this abomination appears, we don't get Gohan or Piccolo reactions saying "Seru..!" or something? Well, kudos to them on that as it made this whole concept more pointless than already was.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:17 pm

Noah wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:18 pm I believe this movie would be way better received if shared the same artstyle of its predecessor and didn't go all out in madness having Gohan and Piccolo to transform out of nowhere (concepts that could be developed better in an actual arc). I mean what's the problem of having this duo dealing with folks like the Gammas in their actual forms? Do we really need a new damn form all the time?
Honestly, even with better animation, the movie would still have a really boring first half.
Anyway still going to watch it on theathers and hoping to fail badly to the point Toei never touches CGI again with DB and also interested in how they will adapt this one, once the anime returns.
Giving Toei money for a movie you want to fail is a very questionable logic lol.
Are you kidding me? Don't tell me that from the moment this abomination appears, we don't get Gohan or Piccolo reactions saying "Seru..!" or something? Well, kudos to them on that as it made this whole concept more pointless than already was.
Piccolo learns of Cell Max on the first half, comments on the name, and a bit after and he looks really shocked when seeing him on a computer, after Cell Max awakens, I'm pretty sure only 18 reacts to it by saying "It's a giant Cell!".

Besides those, the movie could have Cell Max be replaced by Hildegarn, or fat Janemba, or an Oozaru, or whatever giant mindless monster and it'd change little.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm

I think one of the best things we have learnt from this film is that Toei have the ability to hide things and not spoil everything.

They hid both Orange Piccolo and Final Gohan.

Orange Piccolo makes sense with the dragon balls being orange. Hopefully this will now keep Piccolo in future arcs and raise his popularity even more.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:45 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm I think one of the best things we have learnt from this film is that Toei have the ability to hide things and not spoil everything.

Orange Piccolo makes sense with the dragon balls being orange. Hopefully this will now keep Piccolo in future arcs and raise his popularity even more.
Are Piccolo's two new transformations inspired by citrus fruits?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:28 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm I think one of the best things we have learnt from this film is that Toei have the ability to hide things and not spoil everything.

We talked about this on this site for years since like 2016 bro, and it finally happened.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am

At the end of the day when its all said and done & the nostalgia wears off this movie will be seen as a flop both creatively & financially . Toriyama should be banished to the shadow realm, sent to the next dimension, give two tokens to the boatman for this franchise at the River Styx, then told to go home to just be a family man & never pick up a pen to write again for what he did. Just when you think he has already thoroughly bulldozed this entire franchise into the ground with his terrible plot points ,retcons, & his lack of giving a damn he manages to somehow go even further beyond. This was worse than anything Toei did with Super filler included. A movie who’s plot swings wildly between incoherent fan-fiction & the fever dreams of a mangaka WAY past his prime who’s writing gives signs of someone suffering from the late stages of dementia. Who in all these terrible projects is constantly trotted out in front of a gullible fandom by execs of a company ran on gerontocracy, archaic business models, & corporate greed as some sign of quality so they can feel safe about the low budget, lazy, souless stuff they crap out.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:26 am

Anyone remember how in the first Spongebob movie, they made Patrick uncharacteristically horny for the princess?
Just an observation after hearing the lads bring it up in the latest podcast ep.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:29 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am At the end of the day when its all said and done & the nostalgia wears off this movie will be seen as a flop both creatively & financially .

As it has been stated in the box office thread, it not performing as well as the others movies doesn't make it a financial flop. Sure we first need to find out how much it cost making it, but it still took nr 1 spot in its opening weekend and performed better than other hollywood movies.
As for creatively, general reviews and ratings are a lot more positive than for Broly from what I have seen.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:56 am

omaro34 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:28 pm

We talked about this on this site for years since like 2016 bro, and it finally happened.
I know, us Piccolo fans can finally feel good about him and the jokes will now end. I can't wait for the future.

Melkaniator J

Post by Melkaniator J » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 am

Can't say I'm disappointed because that would mean I expected better. The trailer already looked bad, so my expectations were very low. Fortunately it was better than I thought, but still it wasn't that good either. Piccolo as main character? Sounds great. Barely Goku and Vegeta? Even better. And yet the rest was just...mostly okay. Story was decent, action was decent, art/animation was distracting (definitely not a fan) and their decision to put a Cell as the boss enemy was awful. Remember Cell Games? Well let's bring teen Gohan's SS2 hair back as well as Cell as his opponent again...yay.

At least they tried with the story, but the visuals, and reliance on DBZ hold it back. I would still recommend it for tans of course.

Story: 6/10
Visuals: 5/10
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am At the end of the day when its all said and done & the nostalgia wears off this movie will be seen as a flop both creatively & financially . Toriyama should be banished to the shadow realm, sent to the next dimension, give two tokens to the boatman for this franchise at the River Styx, then told to go home to just be a family man & never pick up a pen to write again for what he did. Just when you think he has already thoroughly bulldozed this entire franchise into the ground with his terrible plot points ,retcons, & his lack of giving a damn he manages to somehow go even further beyond. This was worse than anything Toei did with Super filler included. A movie who’s plot swings wildly between incoherent fan-fiction & the fever dreams of a mangaka WAY past his prime who’s writing gives signs of someone suffering from the late stages of dementia. Who in all these terrible projects is constantly trotted out in front of a gullible fandom by execs of a company ran on gerontocracy, archaic business models, & corporate greed as some sign of quality so they can feel safe about the low budget, lazy, souless stuff they crap out.
Not liking the movie is one thing, as is criticizing Toriyama's writing; but saying the man has dementia and insinuating that he should just die already is the height of arrogant fanboy entitlement. The man just wrote a script for a movie you don't like.

And you're once again insulting people for committing the crime of liking the movie. You didn't get the movie you wanted, that doesn't mean those that did like it are wrong or "gullible" or whatever.

And I think it's likely future is that it'll simply be a divisive entry. Some will like it for what it is, some will hate it for what it is.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 am

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 am Not liking the movie is one thing, as is criticizing Toriyama's writing; but saying the man has dementia and insinuating that he should just die already is the height of arrogant fanboy entitlement. The man just wrote a script for a movie you don't like.

And you're once again insulting people for committing the crime of liking the movie. You didn't get the movie you wanted, that doesn't mean those that did like it are wrong or "gullible" or whatever.

And I think it's likely future is that it'll simply be a divisive entry. Some will like it for what it is, some will hate it for what it is.
Don't encourage him, I think he gets off on these kind of comments, he's been doing it almost every day for the past half year and still going strong almost two weeks after the premiere.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:14 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 am Don't encourage him, I think he gets off on these kind of comments
If that is the case that would make him a troll that the mods could then deal with.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 am

Tidbits from recent V-jump interview, quick translation by cypher: https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/15 ... 7597913090
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:37 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am At the end of the day when its all said and done & the nostalgia wears off this movie will be seen as a flop both creatively & financially . Toriyama should be banished to the shadow realm, sent to the next dimension, give two tokens to the boatman for this franchise at the River Styx, then told to go home to just be a family man & never pick up a pen to write again for what he did. Just when you think he has already thoroughly bulldozed this entire franchise into the ground with his terrible plot points ,retcons, & his lack of giving a damn he manages to somehow go even further beyond. This was worse than anything Toei did with Super filler included. A movie who’s plot swings wildly between incoherent fan-fiction & the fever dreams of a mangaka WAY past his prime who’s writing gives signs of someone suffering from the late stages of dementia. Who in all these terrible projects is constantly trotted out in front of a gullible fandom by execs of a company ran on gerontocracy, archaic business models, & corporate greed as some sign of quality so they can feel safe about the low budget, lazy, souless stuff they crap out.
I wanna read a DRAGON BALL movie script of yours.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:40 am

Thanks to DaemonCorps for the shout-out about the podcast episode. We did indeed review Super Hero on the latest episode... and by "we", I mean Julian (SaiyaJedi) and Ian (Cipher), since they're actually in Japan and could actually go to the theater and actually understand the words being spoken. :lol:

For those of you looking for some takes on the film with some chill dudes, by all means check it out. Here's the website post, but if it's easier for you to just click a link and jump right to here, here's a time-coded YouTube link.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 am Tidbits from recent V-jump interview, quick translation by cypher: https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/15 ... 7597913090
It's nice he acknowledged the manga and that Toriyama is still involved. Also they're already working on the next film or some other project with Toriyama. The 40th anniversary of the manga is in two years so that would be a fitting time for it to be released.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:57 pm

Thought it was just 'okay'. Some of the action set pieces were cool but I didn't care much for the story or any of the new characters really..

Also wasn't that fussed on the CGI. It's was fine in the main but weirdly inconsistent in places. I hope they just ditch it for traditional animation again.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:20 pm

Next film is being already in the works and if we go by that geekdom email then it will be goku,broly vegeta movie.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:41 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 am Tidbits from recent V-jump interview, quick translation by cypher: https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/15 ... 7597913090
Some things worth highlighting:

- After reading Iyoku’s comments about Gohan, I have the impression Toriyama had some kind of reluctance on giving him a leading role, and perhaps that may explain why we usually see stagnation on his fighting power. He ended up giving him a super edgy look, though, almost like “Are you sure you want to bring Gohan back from retirement? I will make you regret mwahaha”.

- Film and manga parallel continuities are officially confirmed, but they are not placed in the same timeline to leave margin to flesh new stories out (and I would say sort of avoid age conflict).

- It seems there is an animated project in the works! Let’s see if it will be a movie or a new series.