Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:53 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:32 am Yeah well Super Hero still fits with Moro and Granolah, more or less. Toyotaro surely received the script when it was over, to ensure he did not do anything which could make his manga and the movie obviously incompatible.
Explain how Gohan didn't know Piccolo could grow big in Super Hero. This is a big contradiction IMO.
There's nothing in the subs for the movie that says Gohan didn't know Piccolo could grow big in Super Hero. Krillin's the one to remind Piccolo based on him seeing it at the 23rd BT/being the one close in proximity to him at the time, and all Gohan says on the Big Piccolo is "Yeah!" and "Piccolo-san, can you beat him (Cell Max) now that you're so big?"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:44 pm

I have listened to the podcast and actually found it interesting, as there were spoilers for things I didn't got from Japanese.
But overall yeah, have the same sentiments. The CGI is quite good with few hick-ups, but the movie is fun.
Also, the Toriyama writing is unique and works like it did in it's heyday.

With sentiments of others, I would also love for them to go beyond the EoZ. Hell, animate the ending of the manga in manga acurate way as a prologue and then, bam, some fun adventure with the seasond characters as kind of an extended ending to the series with payoffs and tributes, to finish the story :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:51 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm There's nothing in the subs for the movie that says Gohan didn't know Piccolo could grow big in Super Hero. Krillin's the one to remind Piccolo based on him seeing it at the 23rd BT/being the one close in proximity to him at the time, and all Gohan says on the Big Piccolo is "Yeah!" and "Piccolo-san, can you beat him (Cell Max) now that you're so big?"
Gohan has a shocked expression while Piccolo grows big. Also, more importantly, Piccolo literally needs to explain the form to Gohan. It conflicts with Gohan saying that he is the one that knows best all of Piccolo's techniques in the manga.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:11 pm

While the finale was a bit much for me, I did like how Piccolo used both his giant form AND his stretchy arms in conjunction with each other.

I wonder if that was more Toriyama, or Toei. Toei tend to be the ones to suggest and fire off on bringing back old techniques, characters, etc.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:17 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:51 pm
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm There's nothing in the subs for the movie that says Gohan didn't know Piccolo could grow big in Super Hero. Krillin's the one to remind Piccolo based on him seeing it at the 23rd BT/being the one close in proximity to him at the time, and all Gohan says on the Big Piccolo is "Yeah!" and "Piccolo-san, can you beat him (Cell Max) now that you're so big?"
Gohan has a shocked expression while Piccolo grows big. Also, more importantly, Piccolo literally needs to explain the form to Gohan. It conflicts with Gohan saying that he is the one that knows best all of Piccolo's techniques in the manga.
I'd think in any case of Piccolo deciding to (use his ability to) grow large all of a sudden, Gohan would be shocked or wowed too.

In the manga chapter, we see Gohan put the boots to Seven-Three after he turns giant, which I don't think that or him noting he's familiar with that Piccolo-technique (too) is mutually exclusive with him asking Piccolo in his new orange form if he can beat Cell Max now he's also big considering he'd just pushed him away & then slammed a big pipe onto him with his big size, or Piccolo's answering explaination/reminder at that moment that his Gigantification is just a bluff that doesn't change his strength.

Either way, it's not especially a big deal to get persnickety about, as much as Pan having to re-learn how to fly & characters acting as if she hasn't done so before. Unless of course, you're set to prove one continuity isn't "canon" because you don't like it lol. But that'd be weird ofc.
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:11 pm While the finale was a bit much for me, I did like how Piccolo used both his giant form AND his stretchy arms in conjunction with each other.

I wonder if that was more Toriyama, or Toei. Toei tend to be the ones to suggest and fire off on bringing back old techniques, characters, etc.
Toei probably. Toriyama basically leaves all of the action in his scripts/outlines to whoever's adapting them. I'd even hazard they're the ones who decided on the assisted final Makankosappo ending, plus the handwavey explanation for how Gohan knows it of "I just kinda practice it".

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 pm

2 new Toriyama drawings for theatergoers in celebration of the movie earning 1.2 billion yen at the box office: Cell Max + Gamma 2 & Orange Piccolo

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:13 am

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:53 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:32 am Yeah well Super Hero still fits with Moro and Granolah, more or less. Toyotaro surely received the script when it was over, to ensure he did not do anything which could make his manga and the movie obviously incompatible.
Explain how Gohan didn't know Piccolo could grow big in Super Hero. This is a big contradiction IMO.
This has already been answered well, so I will just add my two cents.

What’s the true continuity?

Broly does not completely fit with the anime, as Freeza does not know about fusion, for example, and Kaioken and Blue Evolution are nowhere to be seen.

By that logic, Super Hero also does not fit with the anime, as Pan is not capable of flying.

I would just say, this movie is obviously thought of as the follow up of Broly, and Broly was a follow up to the anime (considering how it was co-written by the anime staff, who also mostly decide which techniques characters use and how the fights are portrayed).

In Broly there was a problem with Freeza seemingly not recognizing fusion, but that’s minor. Of course, the movie fit with the manga, too. Maybe even somewhat better.

Super Hero does not perfectly fit with the anime due to Pan not knowing how to fly (yes one could say she did it out of instinct as a baby and then forgot how to do it), and it does not completely fit with the manga due to Gohan not being super familiar with Piccolo’s giant form, but that’s the extent of it.

My point is that there will always be inconsistencies, but at the moment the two Super movies fit with both anime and manga just fine. (And I would argue that if Toriyama wanted a refresh on Super’s story, he would open the manga instead of watching the anime)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:46 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 pm 2 new Toriyama drawings for theatergoers in celebration of the movie earning 1.2 billion yen at the box office: Cell Max + Gamma 2 & Orange Piccolo

Piccolo looks like he just came out the gym.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:59 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 pm Image
So... Toriyama drew Piccolo with a red belt in that transformation... i still have no clue why his belt changes colors when Piccolo transforms... looks like Toriyama doesnt know either...
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:51 am

jjbgood wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:59 am
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 pm Image
So... Toriyama drew Piccolo with a red belt in that transformation... i still have no clue why his belt changes colors when Piccolo transforms... looks like Toriyama doesnt know either...
Piccolo's belt is red in the movie, but it only changes color when he is in his ultimate form.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:05 am

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:44 pm I have listened to the podcast and actually found it interesting, as there were spoilers for things I didn't got from Japanese.
But overall yeah, have the same sentiments. The CGI is quite good with few hick-ups, but the movie is fun.
Also, the Toriyama writing is unique and works like it did in it's heyday.
I listened to the podcast as well, and their comparisons to the Buu arc make me wanna see this even more.

Orange Piccolo in particular looks like it's operating on the same design philosophy Super Saiyan 3 is: Exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness but still an awesome design that looks and feels exceptionally powerful. I love it.
And Cell MAX actually looks kinda cool. He looks more like a combination of 2nd form Cell and the hulked out version of Perfect Cell than just straight 2nd form as was being described. And I like the red and green color scheme with dashes of purple thrown in, it makes the design pop in a way it wouldn't have if they had went with the original Cell's color scheme.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:30 am

Better quality:

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:37 pm

Kagari wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:04 pm
BWri wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm
namekiansaiyan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm Orange Piccolo makes sense with the dragon balls being orange. Hopefully this will now keep Piccolo in future arcs and raise his popularity even more.
He's consistently in the top 5, so I don't see that changing much. There's a chance he could overtake Gohan, but I don't think he will. The two of them will likely stay ranked #4 and #5 or one may solidify the #3 spot. I don't think they'll ever beat Goku and Vegeta, at least not in the near future.
In most polls, Gohan and Piccolo were already 3 and 4 respectively.
Yeah, the polls I was looking at were old. They'll likely maintain that position. I mean, Piccolo's been there for years despite not being a main combatant since the Cell arc.

Those Cell Max and Piccolo illustrations look great btw. Didn't initially believe he drew the Cell Max one because it looks just like it does in the movie but I forget how good AT is at what he does sometimes.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:52 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:37 pm
Kagari wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:04 pm
BWri wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm
He's consistently in the top 5, so I don't see that changing much. There's a chance he could overtake Gohan, but I don't think he will. The two of them will likely stay ranked #4 and #5 or one may solidify the #3 spot. I don't think they'll ever beat Goku and Vegeta, at least not in the near future.
In most polls, Gohan and Piccolo were already 3 and 4 respectively.
Didn’t initially believe he drew the Cell Max one because it looks just like it does in the movie but I forget how good AT is at what he does sometimes.
Well it’s the opposite I think. The movie perfectly adapted the models of the new characters to Toriyama’s current style. That’s why his Cell Max and Orange Piccolo basically look just like they do in the movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:06 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:52 pm Well it’s the opposite I think. The movie perfectly adapted the models of the new characters to Toriyama’s current style. That’s why his Cell Max and Orange Piccolo basically look just like they do in the movie.
Good point! It definitely looks ripped straight from the page.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:13 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:51 am Piccolo's belt is red in the movie, but it only changes color when he is in his ultimate form.
Thats... thats exactly my point? i wrote exactly this. the color of the belt changes when Piccolo transforms. BUT here we see the new form of Piccolo, without the colorchange of the belt.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 pm

jjbgood wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:13 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:51 am Piccolo's belt is red in the movie, but it only changes color when he is in his ultimate form.
Thats... thats exactly my point? i wrote exactly this. the color of the belt changes when Piccolo transforms. BUT here we see the new form of Piccolo, without the colorchange of the belt.
Piccolo has 2 new forms in the movie, Ultimate Piccolo and Orange Piccolo, Ultimate is the one that has the color change, Orange is the one in the pic.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 pm
Piccolo has 2 new forms in the movie, Ultimate Piccolo and Orange Piccolo
Thats true. I didnt say anything otherwise.
Ultimate is the one that has the color change, Orange is the one in the pic.
Guess what: his belt turns black in BOTH transformations. Why are you arguing with me? In the movie his belt changes his color to black in both transformations, in this picture of Toriyama it stays red.

FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:52 am

jjbgood wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am
YamiGoku wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 pm

Piccolo has 2 new forms in the movie, Ultimate Piccolo and Orange Piccolo
Thats true. I didnt say anything otherwise.
Ultimate is the one that has the color change, Orange is the one in the pic.
Guess what: his belt turns black in BOTH transformations. Why are you arguing with me? In the movie his belt changes his color to black in both transformations, in this picture of Toriyama it stays red.

Your right, i guess it's just Toei doing the ssj4 clothing with Piccolo? :lol:

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:15 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:52 am Your right, i guess it's just Toei doing the ssj4 clothing with Piccolo? :lol:
In Battle of Gods Goku's shoe straps turn red in SSGod. Probably the form's aura affects certain fabrics/colors.