Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by sigmasigma » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:33 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:55 am
tinlunlau wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 am Toei would rather release One Piece Film: Red over Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero in Hong Kong and Taiwan. That's how bad it's gotten.

Like literally, One Piece: Red gets a release date very close to its Japanese theatrical release over there while Dragon Ball gets a late September release. Why?!
not only that but Toei premired Red film the SAME DAY(August 6) in FRANCE, super hero didnt get that either. I think they didnt have enough faith in this movie, another thing when a franchise movie earns less domestically its a sign that franchise is running out of steam or didnt popular enough anymore so even though broly movie was a massive success it was not good revenue wise domestically check this out -Why domestic box office is more important https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... n_foreign/
Some countries get Super Hero first, and some countries get One Piece first. I guess they can't have two Toei movies simultaneously

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:14 am

I don't understand Toei reasoning for this, it's almost like they want the movie to do as bad as possible, but why?

Dragon Ball is the biggest cash cow they have, Dokkan just made 3.8 billion and is strong as ever without the anime, but they also dont let them use the Super Hero characters for some reason, even though it would be the perfect timing to do so, the World Wide celebration is coming to both versions of Dokkan, and instead of having a major Super hero celebration for major hype with the movie release, we are going to have the Cooler movie...

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:54 am

sigmasigma wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:33 am
Some countries get Super Hero first, and some countries get One Piece first. I guess they can't have two Toei movies simultaneously
Not a single country got Super hero first, its all in August 19th(for super)

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:53 am

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:14 amDragon Ball is the biggest cash cow they have, Dokkan just made 3.8 billion and is strong as ever without the anime, but they also dont let them use the Super Hero characters for some reason, even though it would be the perfect timing to do so, the World Wide celebration is coming to both versions of Dokkan, and instead of having a major Super hero celebration for major hype with the movie release, we are going to have the Cooler movie...
I saw that total gross for Dokkan reached $2 billion in 2019, $3 billion in 2021, and $3.5 billion this month. Is there an updated chart for Dokkan by month or quarter?

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:39 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:14 am I don't understand Toei reasoning for this, it's almost like they want the movie to do as bad as possible, but why?

Dragon Ball is the biggest cash cow they have, Dokkan just made 3.8 billion and is strong as ever without the anime, but they also dont let them use the Super Hero characters for some reason, even though it would be the perfect timing to do so, the World Wide celebration is coming to both versions of Dokkan, and instead of having a major Super hero celebration for major hype with the movie release, we are going to have the Cooler movie...
The games revenue all goes to bandai it has nothing to do with Toei animation IF you see the highest grossing media franchise list The Dragon ball major earnings came from merchendise and gaming and the rest are manga volume,home entertainment etc. when a franchise movie earns less domestically its a sign that franchise is running out of steam or didnt popular enough anymore so even though broly movie was a massive success it was not good revenue wise domestically check this out -Why domestic box office is more important https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... n_foreign/. I highly recomends you to check this out

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:41 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:54 am
sigmasigma wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:33 am
Not a single country got Super hero first, its all in August 19th(for super)
I mean some countries got Super Hero earlier than One Piece, like US and UK.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm

I'm surprised by the large amount of sub functions in my country, If I remember correctly, Broly had a small amount, so I ended up watching it dub.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:45 am

Finally got to watch this! I’ll spoiler tag my thoughts just in case anyone wants to avoid spoilers.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:02 am

A Piccolo vs Gamma 2 Eng dub clip is in video game Fortnite
https://twitter.com/Renaldo_Saiyan/stat ... 4394692608

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:22 am

I'm pretty stoked as I'm booked in to see the english dub tomrorow here in the UK.

I saw broly at the cinema's here, but from all I'd heard back at the premier for Super Hero in japan, the cinematic experience for it was way better.

slightly bummed out I couldn't resist the spoilers for two months, but still stoked to see it all together on the big screen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:38 am

I have a lot going on this week, but hoping to see Super Hero tomorrow or Friday. Still surprised it's showing in Sligo. Can't see the next movie getting as wide an Irish theatrical run. I'll be interested to see what the turnout is like, especially for the subbed screening.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:53 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:38 am I have a lot going on this week, but hoping to see Super Hero tomorrow or Friday. Still surprised it's showing in Sligo. Can't see the next movie getting as wide an Irish theatrical run. I'll be interested to see what the turnout is like, especially for the subbed screening.
It's being shown in small places in Norway for 6 days!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:46 pm

A friend who loves Dragon Ball more than me caught wind of this movie and bought me a ticket to go watch it with him at the Odeon in London, so I watched the film with the English dub.

My overall thoughts on the movie remain the same:

A few more interesting notes on film though:
- The CGI looked a hell of a lot better on the big screen.
- We saw a dubbed screening as there were no subbed screenings available where I lived. The English cast performed as well as I expected them to. Charles Martinet was the standout performer as Magenta.
- The cinema experience itself was pretty sad. The place was nearly empty. :(
- It seem as though the projectionist screen didn't bother zooming in, so we ended up watching the film with 4:3 aspect ratio. Pretty shit. :thumbdown:

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:19 pm

I went to see the movie today. It's stating the obvious but watching a camrip with terrible engrish subs and watching the thing properly on the big screen does make for a huge difference.

I watched the three previous movies over the last few days and no I wouldn't say it's as good as Broly but it is better than Battle of Gods, whether it's better than Resurrection F....I don't know.

In comparison to the others it's got a better story I'd say than BoG and RoF but not Broly....though Broly's storytelling was practically all in the first half so in that regard Super Hero did have better pacing and a story all the way through. It also added several things of interest, nothing drastic but it's more than RoF did.

The action was certainly good enough, it doesn't have any replay value for me though. I rewatched the Goku vs Beerus fight many times after I first saw that film and then the Z-Fighters vs Frieza Force a few times and then so much of the action in Broly even till now but there's nothing in particular I feel any need to rewatch with Super Hero but it definitely wasn't bad. I'd say the final fight with Cell Max was better than the fight with Frieza in RoF actually.

The animation was pretty good to be fair but it did seem like some characters looked much better than others. Piccolo and the Gamma's looked great but then Beerus and Whis....looked off.

It had the one worst antagonist out the recent movies, that's probably the worst to say about it.

It's a solid 7/10. It wasn't great at any one thing but the story, animation, action etc were all pretty good.
Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:46 pm It seem as though the projectionist screen didn't bother zooming in, so we ended up watching the film with 4:3 aspect ratio. Pretty shit. :thumbdown:
That was sort of similar with my showing here in UK too. It certainly wasn't 4:3 but the screen didn't expand all the way which it usually does.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:37 pm

Came out today in Australia, mostly dubbed screenings.

I can't be the only one that noticed they want back to pronouncing Capsule Corp correctly. In Super, they pronounced it like Corps (Core), which made no sense in the context of a corporation. It's not the Marines.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:34 am

I noticed that the shot of Broly fighting Goku in the trailers wasn’t in the film. Even that hand-drawn shot of Goku striking a fighting pose in the air wasn’t in the film. Really weird.

I remember something similar happening with DBS Broly. There was a shot of SSJB Goku looking shocked in the first trailer that didn’t make the final cut.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:26 am

I must say that I agree on many points with the reviews here...

Before, I was actually taking a stand against unbased opinions such as "the movie is a death to Dragon Ball", "the movie is super bad and looks like hell".

The movies is fun for what it is and that's it. It was definitely better than most of Super episodes and I think that if you take it as the series is done, it is a nice extra. I treat the sequel trilogy in Star Wars the same way.
CGI is actually really good looking, with some minor nitpicks and the characters are on point.
Goku, Vegeta and Broly aren't adding anything, just a reminder that they exist and why they are not part of the fight.
The fights are quite generic and the score is undewhelming.

I hope we get some sequel to this movie and play off what we saw.
What I immensely enjoyed were the 2D flashbacks.
Overall, not a disaster, but quite lacking for it's runtime, as it was to me closer to Yo, Son Goku and his friends return than a full feature, but so was the Broly in a way. Just few characters without the larger cast.

Would love to see at least one last major adventure involving everyone and then be done with it.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:03 pm

Saw it last night and absolutely adored it. It’s a good-spirited fun romp of a thing. I loved Piccolo taking the lead role, driving the plot and planning out everything. For all the hype around Gohan, he really felt like a secondary character.

I saw the dubbed version which was solid. The newcomers were good across the board, loved Zeno Robinson as Gamma 2 and Charles Martinet as Magenta. Jeannie Tirado was way better as Pan than I thought she’d be from the trailer. I definitely want to catch a subbed screening as well.

If I have any complaints it’s that the fighting in the second half wasn’t as enjoyable as the buildup in the first half. Gohan vs Gamma 1 was probably the best fight but the actual final battle was a bit of a letdown in comparison. Certainly not a deal-breaker though.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:57 pm

Just got back. I loved it.

Gohan looked badass in Ultra Instinct and Piccolo was hilarious and awesome. I kind of wish we got to see Yamcha though. Yamcha would have vibed well with this tone.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:24 pm

Just watched it. I loved it. Fun movie.

Piccolo damn near being the main character was great, Gohan fight scenes were cool. Pretty much liked everything, the Gotenks ass joke was decent but I'd really like to have seen regular Gotenks. I am so glad Trunks and Goten got older finally.