Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Lukmendes » Mon May 09, 2022 2:47 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:27 pm Let me say from the start, I don't like Cell, I think his story is the low point of DBZ by quite a bit. He's boring and very... "nothing". His personality is that he's arrogant. Yawn! So, this isn't a "defense" of him.

HOWEVER, I think we need to take the poll that seems to suggest Goku Black and Zamasu are much more popular than Cell with a lot of salt. Frankly, I think it's misleading and wrong. For one thing, it's the result of a very small set of self-selected participants. It should be obvious why its unsafe to extrapolate from such a small set of people, but because people CHOOSE to participate in the survey its also not a representative group. This means that people who choose to take a popularity survey are outliers, they don't represent the wider audience of more casual Dragon Ball fans.

Given all that, we should think about this result and look for other sources to sanity check it. One good tool for this is Google Trends. This is a service provided by Google that lets you compare how frequently people search for various terms. This is also imperfect, of course, but it is a vastly larger sample set and it is much more representative. Is there any reason why a fan of Zamasu would be less likely to use Google than a fan of Cell? I can't think of one!

So, here's what we find:

It doesn't even look close! People are searching for Cell roughly 8 times as frequently as either Zamasu or Goku Black. This, to me, suggests that the results of the survey are deeply flawed. It also aligns with my intuition. DBZ is so much more established and beloved than DBS, it would be shocking if a new character somehow managed to eclipse an old favorite like Cell, wouldn't it?

EDIT: It's possible that the search term "Dragon Ball" + Cell is picking up other, unrelated results, since of course Cell is a word that's used in other contexts. For example, someone might search "Dragon Ball Prison Cell" or (incorrectly) "Dragon Ball animation cell". I'm not too concerned about this, given the dramatic gap between the results. Even if we throw away half of the results for Cell, you're still left with a 4 to 1 ratio in his favor.
It's also worth keeping in mind that the poll was made only among Japanese fans, and their opinions are pretty different from the west in certain stuff, like how Gotenks in the west is seen as obnoxious more while there he's a fan favorite, Boo isn't as liked in the west, Cell is liked more in the west, stuff like that.

I'm not invalidating the opinion of the Japanese fanbase, just that the poll is only looking at the opinion of one part of the fanbase, not overall.

So yeah, I'm not someone excited about Cell returning, but there would be hype among nostalgic fans if he did, that much is undeniable.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon May 09, 2022 3:30 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:36 am Just another year where nothing interesting happens on Goku Day. They actually showed the same trailer. :lol:

I'm wondering if the hack is really the only reason the movie got delayed or it was also because they are behind the schedule. The marketing is so weird.
Logically speaking, this movie was not intended to have any new trailer before it's original release (as we were so close to it already).
Now after the hack they probably have more important things to do than making a trailer they never planned :P

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon May 09, 2022 3:35 pm

I dont want them to spoil everything on the trailers but this is ridiculous!
hell I would take the same trailer if they at least put in the movie song so I can at least have something to enjoy while I wait for the movie...

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue May 10, 2022 11:43 am

Crunchyroll will bring the movie to theaters in both subtitled and dubbed formats in North America, Latin America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Africa, the Middle East and Asia (excluding Japan). Exact premiere dates to be announced later.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue May 10, 2022 12:53 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon-bal ... -announced

Looks like it will be released in August for most of North America.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 pm

I am excited to see that a subbed release will occur in the US. Being unable to see the gorgeous Broli on the big screen was a real shame.

EDIT: Sure hope Crunchyroll pays their people a living wage for working on what will inevitably be a blockbuster film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue May 10, 2022 5:38 pm

I can't be the only one still weirded out by the Crunchyroll brand effectively replacing Funimation in US anime distribution...these are confusing times
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue May 10, 2022 6:28 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:38 pm I can't be the only one still weirded out by the Crunchyroll brand effectively replacing Funimation in US anime distribution...these are confusing times
I totally forgot that the Crunchyroll/FUNimation merger happened
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 10, 2022 8:43 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:38 pm I can't be the only one still weirded out by the Crunchyroll brand effectively replacing Funimation in US anime distribution...these are confusing times
Not really a big deal. I've been alive longer than FUNimation existed as a brand and within that time I've seen a lot of things change and go away. It's just a normal part of life. I imagine Crunchyroll will go away some day, too, whether it's tomorrow or in a hundred years.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed May 11, 2022 12:06 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:43 am Crunchyroll will bring the movie to theaters in both subtitled and dubbed formats in North America, Latin America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Africa, the Middle East and Asia (excluding Japan). Exact premiere dates to be announced later.

Europe isn't a country. Neither is Africa and the Middle East. I wonder what countries it'll be released in.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed May 11, 2022 8:32 am

Presumably cases like this, where they've effectively combined four different announcements into one (Funimation, Manga ent., Kaze, Madman), were part of the justification for the re-brand. Hopefully specifics will follow soon, as I'm assuming that the UK is covered but it doesn't seem to have been confirmed.

On a minor note, I wonder if the inevitable BD will use the same disc across Europe (or all of CR's territories)? We'll be buggered if something like the Broly 'green tint' issue happens this time.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed May 11, 2022 10:11 am

sangofe wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:06 am Europe isn't a country. Neither is Africa and the Middle East. I wonder what countries it'll be released in.
I think they were talking about the countries that fall under europe(ex-germany,france,england etc), middle east (Egypt,iran,iraq) Africa(South africa,keniya,ghana etc).

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed May 11, 2022 11:06 am

I haven't gone to a movie theater since the first Deadpool came out, never went to a movie with friends - can't wait to go with my best friend this summer :D

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed May 11, 2022 11:20 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:11 am
sangofe wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:06 am Europe isn't a country. Neither is Africa and the Middle East. I wonder what countries it'll be released in.
I think they were talking about the countries that fall under europe(ex-germany,france,england etc), middle east (Egypt,iran,iraq) Africa(South africa,keniya,ghana etc).
I really wonder if it'll come out in the Nordic countries of Europe.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Wed May 11, 2022 11:38 am

sangofe wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:20 am
Probabaly, since the last movies distributed by Crunchyroll/former Wakanim (Basically European Funimation) were distributed in the Nordics. (Jujutsu Kaisen 0, Demon Slayer Mugen Train, My Hero Academia World Heroes' Mission and Sword Art Online Progressive)

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed May 11, 2022 2:22 pm

Yalos wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:38 am
Probabaly, since the last movies distributed by Crunchyroll/former Wakanim (Basically European Funimation) were distributed in the Nordics. (Jujutsu Kaisen 0, Demon Slayer Mugen Train, My Hero Academia World Heroes' Mission and Sword Art Online Progressive)
The most difficult part will be avoiding the spoilers because TOEI releasing it almost 2months later. I thought we will be getting simultaneous release for this movie.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Wed May 11, 2022 2:47 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:22 pm
The most difficult part will be avoiding the spoilers because TOEI releasing it almost 2months later. I thought we will be getting simultaneous release for this movie.
You should be grateful it releases 2 months later. Anime movies usually take at least 5 months to come outside Japan

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Yalos wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:47 pm
Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:22 pm

You should be grateful it releases 2 months later. Anime movies usually take at least 5 months to come outside Japan
Dragon Ball spoilers will be tougher to avoid than other anime films though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Wed May 11, 2022 4:04 pm

Geekdom101 seems to keep teasing Cell. He tweeted about him today.

Regardless if the final boss is Cell or not, I hope the final trailer we get showcases Goten & Trunks. I'm really excited to see them in action after taking a backseat for so long.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed May 11, 2022 5:15 pm

August 19th for Taiwan. Crunchyroll and Sony handling theatrical release over there. Will be screened in Japanese and Mandarin (dubbed).
The world is your's.