Why was DBS: Broli cut to be so short?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Why was DBS: Broli cut to be so short?

Post by Aim » Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Other movies I have noticed seem to be far longer than Broli. It felt like a lot of things were rushed through which seems to be the case I think because of how much was cut out. Throughout the entire movie we could have gotten a scene of how Burdack went to confront Freeza but was stopped at the atmosphere.

I’d love to see a uncut version but I don’t think they made it that far even with animating. Is there a reason DB was cut down like this and limited? I think it’d be a huge treat to see a movie that isn’t cut to the point where it feels like the story is rushed through.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why was DBS: Broli cut to be so short?

Post by ZombieVito » Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Aim wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm Other movies I have noticed seem to be far longer than Broli. It felt like a lot of things were rushed through which seems to be the case I think because of how much was cut out. Throughout the entire movie we could have gotten a scene of how Burdack went to confront Freeza but was stopped at the atmosphere.

I’d love to see a uncut version but I don’t think they made it that far even with animating. Is there a reason DB was cut down like this and limited? I think it’d be a huge treat to see a movie that isn’t cut to the point where it feels like the story is rushed through.
This is precisely why I want an anime adaptation when Super returns.

You can expand so much from the movie like having Gohan fucking exist.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat May 15, 2021 8:46 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm
Aim wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm Other movies I have noticed seem to be far longer than Broli. It felt like a lot of things were rushed through which seems to be the case I think because of how much was cut out. Throughout the entire movie we could have gotten a scene of how Burdack went to confront Freeza but was stopped at the atmosphere.

I don’t think Gohan would do much.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 15, 2021 9:11 pm

It’s 100 minutes long. That’s a pretty respectable runtime for an animated movie.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat May 15, 2021 10:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:11 pm It’s 100 minutes long. That’s a pretty respectable runtime for an animated movie.
I guess, but I don’t get why they needed to condense it to 100 minutes specifically.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 16, 2021 12:08 am

Production time plus not wanting to run a 180 minute kids movie means having to cut scenes.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun May 16, 2021 2:43 am

Aim wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:46 pm

It's still out of character for him to not show up. You have this new treat on Earth, you have both Goku and Vegeta retreating and fucking Freeza fighting and Gohan does what exactly?

At least Piccolo has an excuse but what about the others?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun May 16, 2021 2:58 am

ZombieVito wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:43 am

It's still out of character for him to not show up. You have this new treat on Earth, you have both Goku and Vegeta retreating and fucking Freeza fighting and Gohan does what exactly?

His excuse would be to stay out of Goku and Vegeta’s way, they are no match for Broli and there’s no way they wouldn’t have felt his presence. They probably sat back and felt the ki skyrocket. When there’s a threat like Broli it’s best not to get a whole bunch of people involved which inhibits Goku and Vegeta’s ability to go all out without worrying.

Plus Freeza easily had it covered, one could make the argument he is so far beyond Gohan at this point that Gohan showing up would do nothing. I say this because this seems like a story that came from Toriyama’s timeline of events, in which I’m not sure whether Gohan would be as strong as Freeza, if he were he’d be there.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun May 16, 2021 3:00 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:08 am Production time plus not wanting to run a 180 minute kids movie means having to cut scenes.
I mean what’s wrong with 180 minutes? The cinemas I was at had only adults with occasional kid or two.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 16, 2021 3:17 am

Aim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:00 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:08 am Production time plus not wanting to run a 180 minute kids movie means having to cut scenes.
I mean what’s wrong with 180 minutes? The cinemas I was at had only adults with occasional kid or two.
Less showings per day can be scheduled when your movie is 180 minutes. Furthermore, not every family can sit through a 180 minute film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 16, 2021 4:40 am

100 minutes is a substantial run time for a feature length film. I believe it is the longest of any DB movie.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun May 16, 2021 9:10 am

But what would be the point? Plot points for the sake of plot points doesn't make a story better.

Super: Broly is unapologetically an NJPW wrestling match. The soundtrack straights up do wrestling chants throughout the fight. You run into the issue with the anime adaptations on the Super films where the pacing just fucking dies because they have to make it work as a legitimate arc. If Broly is gonna make an appearance in a Super anime, the writers would be smart to assume that everyone who is watching already watched the movie.

And if for some reason you haven't: Plot spoilers.

Goku, Vegeta and Broly fight
Broly loses
The end.

Now you're caught up.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun May 16, 2021 12:19 pm

Aim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:58 am

His excuse would be to stay out of Goku and Vegeta’s way, they are no match for Broli and there’s no way they wouldn’t have felt his presence. They probably sat back and felt the ki skyrocket. When there’s a threat like Broli it’s best not to get a whole bunch of people involved which inhibits Goku and Vegeta’s ability to go all out without worrying.

Plus Freeza easily had it covered, one could make the argument he is so far beyond Gohan at this point that Gohan showing up would do nothing. I say this because this seems like a story that came from Toriyama’s timeline of events, in which I’m not sure whether Gohan would be as strong as Freeza, if he were he’d be there.
Goku and Vegeta retreaded and Broly beat up Freeza for a fucking hour. What if Broly accidently blows up the Earth in that hour?

Gohan and the rest of the fighters went both times to face Freeza when he invaded Earth even though they couldn't do anything. No matter what excuse you give, it's out of character for them to not show up.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Aim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:00 amI mean what’s wrong with 180 minutes? The cinemas I was at had only adults with occasional kid or two.
Not all stories need to be 180 minutes long and making it 180 minutes was probably beyond the staff capabilities under their schedule, unless you made them crunch to the bone.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun May 16, 2021 9:41 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:19 pm

Goku and Vegeta retreaded and Broly beat up Freeza for a fucking hour. What if Broly accidently blows up the Earth in that hour?

Gohan and the rest of the fighters went both times to face Freeza when he invaded Earth even though they couldn't do anything. No matter what excuse you give, it's out of character for them to not show up.
He wouldn’t blow up the Earth, the guy was dead focused on Freeza and I doubt Freeza would allow that anyway considering he’d go bye bye along with him most likely, being so damaged and all.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun May 16, 2021 9:42 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 pm
Aim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:00 amI mean what’s wrong with 180 minutes? The cinemas I was at had only adults with occasional kid or two.
Not all stories need to be 180 minutes long and making it 180 minutes was probably beyond the staff capabilities under their schedule, unless you made them crunch to the bone.
After Supers schedule, I am convinced it should be illegal to put people on such a tight schedule.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon May 17, 2021 12:22 am

Aim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:41 pm

He wouldn’t blow up the Earth, the guy was dead focused on Freeza and I doubt Freeza would allow that anyway considering he’d go bye bye along with him most likely, being so damaged and all.
1) Gohan has no way of knowing he won't do it.
2) Freeza won't die with Earth's explosion.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 am

ZombieVito wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:22 am

First of all, Broli won’t die either, second of all, Gohan has a family to protect and is no match for Broli at this point. Most likely he was with his family trying to prepare to get the hell off of Earth in case anything happened. Or, you know, he had faith that those two would figure something out.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm

Aim wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 am
First of all, Broli won’t die either, second of all, Gohan has a family to protect and is no match for Broli at this point. Most likely he was with his family trying to prepare to get the hell off of Earth in case anything happened. Or, you know, he had faith that those two would figure something out.
Broly will die, he can't breathe in Space.

That excuse for Gohan doesn't work. In RoF, he didn't stay with his family. He went to face Freeza.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon May 17, 2021 9:36 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm
Aim wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 am
Broly will die, he can't breathe in Space.

That excuse for Gohan doesn't work. In RoF, he didn't stay with his family. He went to face Freeza.
The difference is no one was there to fight Freeza, here Broli is occupied with Freeza.

These are super powered warriors, Broli may not be able to breathe in space but he can probably survive with a ki barrier and the fact his lungs could probably handle it.

No offense, but this just feels like a typical Gohan fan who wants an excuse to put him in completely disregarding his character.