Why was DBS: Broli cut to be so short?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Why was DBS: Broli cut to be so short?

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 pm

Gohan there or not; Toriyama's original script would have been about 3 hours. While the fight is entertaining to be sure, it really does feel like its missing a bit of story, or at least fleshing it out/missing a lot of "meat", so to say.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue May 18, 2021 8:05 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 pm Gohan there or not; Toriyama's original script would have been about 3 hours. While the fight is entertaining to be sure, it really does feel like its missing a bit of story, or at least fleshing it out/missing a lot of "meat", so to say.
That’s the problem, it feels like it’s all over the place recently. All I want is a definitive canon, which is Toriyama’s story, so far the closest of which we’ve seen for Super is Broli.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu May 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Aim wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm Other movies I have noticed seem to be far longer than Broli. It felt like a lot of things were rushed through which seems to be the case I think because of how much was cut out. Throughout the entire movie we could have gotten a scene of how Burdack went to confront Freeza but was stopped at the atmosphere.

I’d love to see a uncut version but I don’t think they made it that far even with animating. Is there a reason DB was cut down like this and limited? I think it’d be a huge treat to see a movie that isn’t cut to the point where it feels like the story is rushed through.
It's actually pretty long for a Dragon Ball movie, and while I would have liked to have seen some things in the story expanded on, I'm glad they didn't because they would have had to spread the budget out to create more scenes, resulting in lower quality animation. DBS Broly is the best Dragon Ball has ever looked imo, I wouldn't want anything to lower the animation quality.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri May 21, 2021 3:26 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:51 pm
Aim wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm Other movies I have noticed seem to be far longer than Broli. It felt like a lot of things were rushed through which seems to be the case I think because of how much was cut out. Throughout the entire movie we could have gotten a scene of how Burdack went to confront Freeza but was stopped at the atmosphere.

I’d love to see a uncut version but I don’t think they made it that far even with animating. Is there a reason DB was cut down like this and limited? I think it’d be a huge treat to see a movie that isn’t cut to the point where it feels like the story is rushed through.
It's actually pretty long for a Dragon Ball movie, and while I would have liked to have seen some things in the story expanded on, I'm glad they didn't because they would have had to spread the budget out to create more scenes, resulting in lower quality animation. DBS Broly is the best Dragon Ball has ever looked imo, I wouldn't want anything to lower the animation quality.
I wish Elon would do something better with his money and instead of making shitty PS1 graphic cars and acting like a dumbass online, he should invest in DB lol.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Fri May 21, 2021 9:15 pm

Not sure why, but it sucks that it was. That's why I was hoping for a DBS anime adaptation with the entire 3 hour storyboard, possibly more, for a long time.