Is the idea of a new cast acceptable for you at this point?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is the idea of a new cast acceptable for you at this point?

Post by Trouser » Sat May 22, 2021 12:08 pm

Well, as sad as it is, we can't do much about it. It's not a matter of "if", it's "when". I don't know really... I can't imagine someone else as Goku than Nozawa. She's legend. But when it happen I can't do nothing more that accept it and move on.
I'd rather they end Super with the main cast when they still have time.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 23, 2021 8:53 am

I'd prefer the original cast, obviously, but I'd still watch it. Dragon Ball has been around for so long and is so iconic that I'm sure there are plenty of voice actors out there that know the characters very well and can imitate them, so it probably won't be too jarring if they have to replace them.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue May 25, 2021 8:32 am

Question to this question topic ?

Can we find V.A. that can mimic Masako Nozawa or Tōru Furuya for example ? In the same way Aya Hisakawa did well to emulate Hiromi Tsuru way of work ? :|
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Tue May 25, 2021 11:06 am

Sure. The voice actors deserve rest and it's not fair to expect them to do this until they die. Replacements should 100% be considered and we have to deal with it.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:06 am Sure. The voice actors deserve rest and it's not fair to expect them to do this until they die. Replacements should 100% be considered and we have to deal with it.
Based on what she has said during interviews, I think Masako Nozawa will continue voicing Goku until she's either dead or physically incapable of doing it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu May 27, 2021 2:00 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 am
FlpShimizu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:06 am Sure. The voice actors deserve rest and it's not fair to expect them to do this until they die. Replacements should 100% be considered and we have to deal with it.
Based on what she has said during interviews, I think Masako Nozawa will continue voicing Goku until she's either dead or physically incapable of doing it.

I'd prefer Super to end with Nozawa onboard or for her to get a proper goodbye / tribute after a final animated product has been scheduled to be her last. The movie that's coming would be ideal for that.

I however doubt that official goodbye is ever going to really happen. Nozawa sees it as a destiny rather than a job to play Goku.
Otherwise she would have retired a long time ago.
She wants to play Goku because she feels she IS the character and the franchise never is going to say no against it, because of the incertainty how fans will react to a new voice actor and the general tendancy of the franchise to "play it safe".

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Fri May 28, 2021 11:07 am

I wouldn't mind that at all. I worry they won't have time for a smooth transition with how old the cast already is. I suppose we'll see.