Is the idea of a new cast acceptable for you at this point?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Is the idea of a new cast acceptable for you at this point?

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue May 18, 2021 5:55 pm

So we all know DB has an aging cast. Not only Nozawa (84), but also Toshio Furukawa (74) and, Ryō Horikawa (63) all have respectable ages. With the anime probably not coming back before 2023, these people aren't getting any younger. It's not unthinkable at least one of them gets replaced before a new anime, if it were to return, starts.

There have been several topics on this already. The central question in this topic however is not 'what if', 'when' or 'who will replace them'. The question is: if they do would get replaced and Super will go with new main actor(s), is the idea acceptable to you, not acceptable at all or will it depend on certain factors, such as on how the new voice actor would bring the role as such?

"Not acceptable" in this basically means you will enjoy the final stage of the show to a lesser degree, no matter how it is written or animated, solely because of the fact the voice actor is replaced and therefore gives a less authentic feel for you personally.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is the idea of a new cast acceptable for you at this point?

Post by EGonzo » Tue May 18, 2021 6:19 pm

As long as they're replaced for legitimate reasons (illness, death, retiring) it should be fine. If it's a LatAm dub of DBKai "we just didn't feel like paying them", then it's not

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue May 18, 2021 6:28 pm

Oh, you meant real people! I thought this was gonna be another "can they replace Goku"-style thread.
Yes, I'm fine with the voice actors being replaced by "soundalikes" when they can no longer do the job themselves. They've already had to do this with Hiromi Tsuru (and a few others if I recall), and I think that went fine. What's important is that the new people who take over for the voice actors are able to do the voices they need to without it sounding weird or wrong. I don't really want to hear a character suddenly sound really different in the middle of a continuing series if it can at all be avoided.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue May 18, 2021 7:11 pm

I think whenever the anime comes back should be the ideal time, from a pragmatic perspective, to replace the old cast entirely with a new one full of young actors capable of playing these characters for the decades to come. I doubt a lot of the cast (Nozawa and Horikawa especially) would want to give up their roles. I imagine they want to voice them for as long as possible.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed May 19, 2021 7:11 am

Thinking about Bulma looking at this topic and honestly her replacement is still strikingly good tbh I didn't noticed the voice change (unless I listen carefully).

So judging by that I think Masako Nozawa already as a replacement ready maybe someone she trained to sound like Goku and I think it's the same for the voice of Vegeta and Frieza. Their voice are too iconic, so Toei have prepared suitable replacement for keep their legacy.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 19, 2021 5:52 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:11 am Thinking about Bulma looking at this topic and honestly her replacement is still strikingly good tbh I didn't noticed the voice change (unless I listen carefully).

Agreed. I think she's a great Bulma. You barely notice the difference.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed May 19, 2021 7:25 pm

While I would be extremely saddened, the show must go on. For me, it'd be like Kikuchi being replaced, but much worse (although that was a pretty rough transition that I'm still not over).

Still, I think Nozawa is likely to play Goku until she is no longer able. Toriyama went to bat for her when they wanted to replace her for Battle of Gods, so that's something to take comfort in.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm

batistabus wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:25 pm While I would be extremely saddened, the show must go on. For me, it'd be like Kikuchi being replaced, but much worse (although that was a pretty rough transition that I'm still not over).

Still, I think Nozawa is likely to play Goku until she is no longer able. Toriyama went to bat for her when they wanted to replace her for Battle of Gods, so that's something to take comfort in.
They tried to replace her in BoG? I had no idea, what was the reason? Did they find a soundalike or something? Can you link source please.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed May 19, 2021 9:20 pm

Aim wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm
batistabus wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:25 pm While I would be extremely saddened, the show must go on. For me, it'd be like Kikuchi being replaced, but much worse (although that was a pretty rough transition that I'm still not over).

They tried to replace her in BoG? I had no idea, what was the reason? Did they find a soundalike or something? Can you link source please.
Nozawa mentions it in two interviews that I can think of:
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... ko-nozawa/
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... e-of-gods/
Nozawa Masako, DVD & Blu-ray Vision, April 2013 Issue wrote:I had a talk with Toriyama-sensei the day after a preview of this movie, and at that time, Sensei said, “Nozawa-san, do you have a high going rate?” (laughs) When I asked him, “Why?” and Toriyama-sensei mentioned that even though he’d said, “Goku is this person (Nozawa),” (the producer) said, “We’ve also recorded these people,” and brought out a bunch of (audition tapes).
Nozawa Masako, Chozenshu 4 wrote:But you know, when I did a talk with Sensei recently, he asked me, “Nozawa-san, do you ask a high rate?” When I asked why, Sensei said that when the anime first started, he had chosen me to play Goku, but apparently the staff brought out the name of another voice actor, and told him, “there’s this person, too”. So, Sensei thought that meant that this Masako Nozawa had a high rate… Cut it out, [I said,] I’m not expensive. (laughs)
And then Toriyama said this in a separate interview:
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... -toriyama/
Toriyama Akira, Battle of Gods Official Movie Guide wrote:Everyone was wonderful, but Masako Nozawa-san’s performance was particularly wonderful. I feel a sense of relief that it’s the same Goku as ever.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed May 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:52 pm
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:11 am Thinking about Bulma looking at this topic and honestly her replacement is still strikingly good tbh I didn't noticed the voice change (unless I listen carefully).

aya hisakawa is one of the best seiyuu's ever, if we're being honest. unbelievably versatile.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu May 20, 2021 5:39 am

batistabus wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:20 pm
Aim wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm

Nozawa mentions it in two interviews that I can think of:
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... ko-nozawa/
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... e-of-gods/
Nozawa Masako, DVD & Blu-ray Vision, April 2013 Issue wrote:I had a talk with Toriyama-sensei the day after a preview of this movie, and at that time, Sensei said, “Nozawa-san, do you have a high going rate?” (laughs) When I asked him, “Why?” and Toriyama-sensei mentioned that even though he’d said, “Goku is this person (Nozawa),” (the producer) said, “We’ve also recorded these people,” and brought out a bunch of (audition tapes).
Nozawa Masako, Chozenshu 4 wrote:But you know, when I did a talk with Sensei recently, he asked me, “Nozawa-san, do you ask a high rate?” When I asked why, Sensei said that when the anime first started, he had chosen me to play Goku, but apparently the staff brought out the name of another voice actor, and told him, “there’s this person, too”. So, Sensei thought that meant that this Masako Nozawa had a high rate… Cut it out, [I said,] I’m not expensive. (laughs)
And then Toriyama said this in a separate interview:
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... -toriyama/
Toriyama Akira, Battle of Gods Official Movie Guide wrote:Everyone was wonderful, but Masako Nozawa-san’s performance was particularly wonderful. I feel a sense of relief that it’s the same Goku as ever.
This is disgusting, so they tried to replace her why? Because she possibly costed “too much” for them? I’m surprised people haven’t made a stink about this, this is infuriating.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 20, 2021 8:37 am

Aim wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:39 am This is disgusting, so they tried to replace her why? Because she possibly costed “too much” for them? I’m surprised people haven’t made a stink about this, this is infuriating.
My interpretation is that Nozawa's rate was never an issue, and Toei never even said that to Toriyama. Toei approached Tori with some new voice actors, which he thought was ridiculous and dismissed instantly. You can imagine why Toei might want to cast a younger actor in the role, but "do you have a high rate" was Toriyama's low-key way of communicating Toei's fuckery to Nozawa. She understood what Toei was trying to do and used Tori's language to expose it in these interviews.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Perfectly acceptable, Nozawa's & Co performance are just only one interpretation of character's voice out of many.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu May 20, 2021 5:57 pm

Yeah honestly I love the JP cast but the franchise is too Big to not continue w.o them.

I think Nozawa is the hardest to replace because it's.
A ) iconic
B ) quite specific.
C ) she's probably had the most screntime and lines of anyone so it's easier to scrutinize.

My fear is one day that the cast will just be too old to do a good job but won't want to move on.

Didn't people criticise poor kaiosamas Va for that?

As long as the voice cast and/or toriyama pick the replacement I am fine with it.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu May 20, 2021 6:34 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:25 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:52 pm

aya hisakawa is one of the best seiyuu's ever, if we're being honest. unbelievably versatile.
Agreed it was kind of easier for me to accept her because she is one of my favorite Seiyuu

I know I will have to probably one day accept more and more new cast members but I also hope to hear as much with the original cast as possible. That is one of the main reasons I’ve been disappointed they took so long to bring something animated back.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri May 21, 2021 12:16 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm Perfectly acceptable, Nozawa's & Co performance are just only one interpretation of character's voice out of many.
It may be perfectly acceptable, but Nozawa is the only person to ever voice Son Goku in Japanese. It's not like in English where child/adult Goku have different actors and dozens of people have portrayed him. You have a similar situations in other languages, but those dubs are unrelated to Dragon Ball's creative process. Toriyama doesn't hear their voices in his head when he writes dialogue for Goku; he hears Nozawa, and he continues to make that clear. Sure, it's acceptable, but it's not as nonchalant as you suggest.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri May 21, 2021 3:25 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm Perfectly acceptable, Nozawa's & Co performance are just only one interpretation of character's voice out of many.
They are the authors interpretation which is the most authentic, if it’s possible to one day get people who essentially replace them 1:1 that should happen. If you want parodies of Dragon Ball then there should be a company specifically for that, but it shouldn’t leak into the main show, not only do I find it incredibly disrespectful, but it really shows that people do not understand it if they are so quick to suggest things should be able to be changed willy nilly on the basis of interpretation.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 am

Aim wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:25 am They are the authors interpretation which is the most authentic, if it’s possible to one day get people who essentially replace them 1:1 that should happen. If you want parodies of Dragon Ball then there should be a company specifically for that, but it shouldn’t leak into the main show, not only do I find it incredibly disrespectful, but it really shows that people do not understand it if they are so quick to suggest things should be able to be changed willy nilly on the basis of interpretation.
Being their authentic interpretation doesn't necesarily mean it's what their work says, nor the only valid interpretation. Toriyama saying is not the be all end all.

There's nothing disrespectful of an audience having their own reading of a work, it shows their critical thinking, going only by what the author say is devaluing their intelligence (and asking someone else to do the thinking for them).

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat May 22, 2021 6:30 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 am
Aim wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:25 am They are the authors interpretation which is the most authentic, if it’s possible to one day get people who essentially replace them 1:1 that should happen. If you want parodies of Dragon Ball then there should be a company specifically for that, but it shouldn’t leak into the main show, not only do I find it incredibly disrespectful, but it really shows that people do not understand it if they are so quick to suggest things should be able to be changed willy nilly on the basis of interpretation.
Being their authentic interpretation doesn't necesarily mean it's what their work says, nor the only valid interpretation. Toriyama saying is not the be all end all.

There's nothing disrespectful of an audience having their own reading of a work, it shows their critical thinking, going only by what the author say is devaluing their intelligence (and asking someone else to do the thinking for them).
Death of the author is something that only works in certain situations, this is not one of them. Dragon Ball Super showcased this when introducing character designs and other story elements that were very un-Toriyama like. What makes the series special is his kind of writing and designs. Further more, with the case of interpretations, if the author themselves states they see Son as sounding or being a specific way, that is absolutely more valid than a reader expecting Son Goku to sound a certain way. Examples I can use is the dub with excessive swearing and constant over the top screaming as an attempt to sound “hyper masculine”, as well as the cockiness of this character. This isn’t an interpretation, more so a borderline parody of the said character.

Critical thinking comes in when the reader is able to see pull certain nuances from the story or characters, forming their own perceptions, most of the time people who are capable of doing this will reach similar conclusions when analyzing the characters, however when it comes to the meaning of stories in general that’s a different story, and your statement doesn’t hold up in that regard.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat May 22, 2021 11:59 am

Aim wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:30 amDeath of the author is something that only works in certain situations, this is not one of them. Dragon Ball Super showcased this when introducing character designs and other story elements that were very un-Toriyama like. What makes the series special is his kind of writing and designs. Further more, with the case of interpretations, if the author themselves states they see Son as sounding or being a specific way, that is absolutely more valid than a reader expecting Son Goku to sound a certain way. Examples I can use is the dub with excessive swearing and constant over the top screaming as an attempt to sound “hyper masculine”, as well as the cockiness of this character. This isn’t an interpretation, more so a borderline parody of the said character.

Critical thinking comes in when the reader is able to see pull certain nuances from the story or characters, forming their own perceptions, most of the time people who are capable of doing this will reach similar conclusions when analyzing the characters, however when it comes to the meaning of stories in general that’s a different story, and your statement doesn’t hold up in that regard.
As long as is not explicitely writing on the text, any interpreation is as valiad as Toriyama's, if he wanted his interpration of Goku's voice to be absolute he should have writen so in the actual text (manga) and since he didn't, anything is fair game. Of course, and I never implied that was a fair interpration since in the text of the manga Goku doesn't talk like that :eh:.