Adventure arcs

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Adventure arcs

Post by Yuji » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:48 pm

I don't think we've had a genuine adventure arc since Namek (excluding GT's first arc), and one could argue Namek doesn't even count since it's more-so just a change of scenery, leaving us with the Red Ribbon arc as the last one. Every arc since follows the trope of strong guy shows up, commence back and forth between villain and heroes; or it's a tournament. Would you like to see another adventure-based arc? A lot of folks have been suggesting a trip to U6 or Sadala as a potential future arc, or generally just exploring other facets of the multiverse. If the big Ts decide to write an arc like this, what kind of setting or premise would you like?
Last edited by Yuji on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Adventure arcs

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:21 pm

They could've done this with searching Super Dragon Balls back when they were filled with mystery, but alas. I don't think they want to go this route anymore, much to my disappointment.

The last time I felt adventure in DBS was the little bit we've seen of Vegeta's visit to Yardrat. And it sure was a breath of fresh air, one which we should be getting more of.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:41 pm

Is the Black star dragon ball arc a joke to you?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:37 am

I don't know if it should be done as an arc or a movie...but the concept of "Goku is missing" could be fun. With Goku's whereabouts unknown, some villain(s) could attack the Earth and everyone else would have to work together to overcome the threat, giving all of the lesser characters a chance to shine in battle for once.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:46 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:41 pm Is the Black star dragon ball arc a joke to you?
Yes it is awful, but I did mention it.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:41 pm Is the Black star dragon ball arc a joke to you?
Is the Evil Dragons arc a joke to both of you?

Also, I’d give it to Namek. Plenty of sneaking around and exploring before the extended climax that is its back half. It’s not quite the episodic travel adventure of early DB, but there’s more traveling and maneuvering than in any other villain-focused or tournament arcs. It is an adventure arc, in its way—just one in which everything goes wrong.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:46 pm

theherodjl wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:37 am I don't know if it should be done as an arc or a movie...but the concept of "Goku is missing" could be fun. With Goku's whereabouts unknown, some villain(s) could attack the Earth and everyone else would have to work together to overcome the threat, giving all of the lesser characters a chance to shine in battle for once.
This would be fun, at least for one arc. They have no confidence in an arc without Goku though. He'd have to save the day by the end of it.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm

I want the guy that drew the Reincarnation of Yamcha to be given the task to add to the dragon ball lore.

Possible Storylines:

Namekians migration to Universe 7
The story of Yamoshi
History of the Ceraelians
Vegeta when he was a kid
Pride Troopers' Adventures
Broly, Lemo and Cheelai's adventures when they are not with the main cast

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:44 am

I will say it's easier to have adventure arcs with weaker characters, but it could work for anyone if they actually focus on the environments and background characters. I think the creators could actually find a lot of inspiration from the anime, specifically in how early DB and DBZ fleshed out the world and background characters. Seems like we're always hurtling towards the next big fight, but the quiet time or adventures in between makes those big fights even more exciting.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Goku da Silva

Post by Goku da Silva » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Forget about it guys, after the original DB and DBZ it's all about business. I myself only consider these Toryama's work, the rest can simply be ignored is crap. :thumbdown:

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:02 pm

To start a good adventure arc, you need a kickstarter. Bulma was this for DB. Just like DBZ was about power , Gohan was the kick. Bulma and Tights and kid Trunks are kinda the only one I can see kickstart an adventure arc right now.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 am

Yuji wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:48 pm I don't think we've had a genuine adventure arc since Namek (excluding GT's first arc), and one could argue Namek doesn't even count since it's more-so just a change of scenery, leaving us with the Red Ribbon arc as the last one. Every arc since follows the trope of strong guy shows up, commence back and forth between villain and heroes; or it's a tournament. Would you like to see another adventure-based arc? A lot of folks have been suggesting a trip to U6 or Sadala as a potential future arc, or generally just exploring other facets of the multiverse. If the big Ts decide to write an arc like this, what kind of setting or premise would you like?
So because you don't like the Black Star Dragon Balls arc you exclude it from the list of adventure arcs? I mean, I find ROF arc the worst in Dragon ball's entire franchise history, but I would include it in a list of arcs in which Frieza appears, for example. It's part of Dragon Ball.

In fact, I'd even say the Black Star Dragon Balls arc (which btw I consider part of the Baby arc, but that doesn't matter to this thread) is the most genuine adventure story we've had yet, as the Red Ribbon story was all about confronting the Red Ribbon, and everywhere Goku went, we would know he would face some RRA sergeant or commander.

In GT's first arc, we didn't know what Goku's crew would find, what kind of planets and life beings they would fight or encounter, and for me, that mistery and sense of wonder is a great part of what makes these kinds of stories unique and enjoyable. Answering your first question, an adventure-based arc is something I would very much look forward too, and tbh, I think Dragon Ball needs something like that right now, instead of the usual villain comes to earth, villain gets defeated stuff.

Something like the RRA arc could also work, as in, Goku and company travel through different locations, fighting a common threat that is present in all those places. I would prefer it if the final villain of the arc isn't revealed until later, though, and we start with a a bunch of episodes solely centered on discovering new places and people.

As for potential settings, my preference would definitely be the multiverse, with an alternate dimension as a second choice. I think the multiverse has a LOT of potential for new stuff, and we've only scratched the surface with the Tournament of Power (I hope), they could find all kinds of weird creatures and fighters and places.

Another possibility, as I said, would be an alternate dimension, as in, future/past timelines (I hope not, and it's unlikely, since we've already had the Black arc, but it's still possible), or maybe a new "realm" or place of existence. We could see new, previously undiscovered parts of Otherworld, or maybe a Super version of the Demon Realm (as in, "canon" demon realm, since we already have the Heroes version), from which Dabura and possibly Jiren's mentor's killer came from. But my top choice would be the Multiverse (or hell, even one other universe, that is not universe 7).

Another thing to think about is; who would you like to see taking part in such a trip? For it to be an adventure, not everyone should make the trip. It should be a small group or expedition.

The obvious ones would be Goku and Vegeta. Grown up versions of Trunks and Goten would be nice, and maybe Gohan, too. Not Pan , though (too similar to GT). Piccolo is a must, imo. If they want to add different character dynamics, never seen before, they could add Nº18, for example, since we don't get to see her much with the other z warriors, usually, and I like the character a lot. Or maybe teen Marron, to fill the "immature" character slot. Buu would be a welcome addition, too. He would be the one to screw things up, when the others think they have it under control. Then there's Roshi, who would add a much-needed "analytical" and "cool-headed" point of view to the group (it would be either him or Piccolo, imo).

Yamcha and Tien, could be good additions, especially for those of us tired of the same old "saiyans save the day" trope. There are other possibilities, too, like Krillin, Uub, Bulma, Bulla, Jaco, Chiaotzu, etc. We've alredy seen Bulma, Krillin and Gohan travelling to Namek, but Gohan was a kid, and Bulma....well, Bulma is too iconic and great a character to leave out, she works really well in all kinds of stories. Krillin is a very good, relatable guy, and he could be the "oh wow, look at that" character, that gets surprised and awed at everything cool. Also, I'd say Jaco is fundamental, for both comic relief and thematic reasons, especially if the arc occurs during Super's timeline.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:43 pm

anubisj wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 am
Yuji wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:48 pm I don't think we've had a genuine adventure arc since Namek (excluding GT's first arc), and one could argue Namek doesn't even count since it's more-so just a change of scenery, leaving us with the Red Ribbon arc as the last one. Every arc since follows the trope of strong guy shows up, commence back and forth between villain and heroes; or it's a tournament. Would you like to see another adventure-based arc? A lot of folks have been suggesting a trip to U6 or Sadala as a potential future arc, or generally just exploring other facets of the multiverse. If the big Ts decide to write an arc like this, what kind of setting or premise would you like?
So because you don't like the Black Star Dragon Balls arc you exclude it from the list of adventure arcs? I mean, I find ROF arc the worst in Dragon ball's entire franchise history, but I would include it in a list of arcs in which Frieza appears, for example. It's part of Dragon Ball.

In fact, I'd even say the Black Star Dragon Balls arc (which btw I consider part of the Baby arc, but that doesn't matter to this thread) is the most genuine adventure story we've had yet, as the Red Ribbon story was all about confronting the Red Ribbon, and everywhere Goku went, we would know he would face some RRA sergeant or commander.

In GT's first arc, we didn't know what Goku's crew would find, what kind of planets and life beings they would fight or encounter, and for me, that mistery and sense of wonder is a great part of what makes these kinds of stories unique and enjoyable. Answering your first question, an adventure-based arc is something I would very much look forward too, and tbh, I think Dragon Ball needs something like that right now, instead of the usual villain comes to earth, villain gets defeated stuff.

Something like the RRA arc could also work, as in, Goku and company travel through different locations, fighting a common threat that is present in all those places. I would prefer it if the final villain of the arc isn't revealed until later, though, and we start with a a bunch of episodes solely centered on discovering new places and people.

As for potential settings, my preference would definitely be the multiverse, with an alternate dimension as a second choice. I think the multiverse has a LOT of potential for new stuff, and we've only scratched the surface with the Tournament of Power (I hope), they could find all kinds of weird creatures and fighters and places.

Another possibility, as I said, would be an alternate dimension, as in, future/past timelines (I hope not, and it's unlikely, since we've already had the Black arc, but it's still possible), or maybe a new "realm" or place of existence. We could see new, previously undiscovered parts of Otherworld, or maybe a Super version of the Demon Realm (as in, "canon" demon realm, since we already have the Heroes version), from which Dabura and possibly Jiren's mentor's killer came from. But my top choice would be the Multiverse (or hell, even one other universe, that is not universe 7).

Another thing to think about is; who would you like to see taking part in such a trip? For it to be an adventure, not everyone should make the trip. It should be a small group or expedition.

The obvious ones would be Goku and Vegeta. Grown up versions of Trunks and Goten would be nice, and maybe Gohan, too. Not Pan , though (too similar to GT). Piccolo is a must, imo. If they want to add different character dynamics, never seen before, they could add Nº18, for example, since we don't get to see her much with the other z warriors, usually, and I like the character a lot. Or maybe teen Marron, to fill the "immature" character slot. Buu would be a welcome addition, too. He would be the one to screw things up, when the others think they have it under control. Then there's Roshi, who would add a much-needed "analytical" and "cool-headed" point of view to the group (it would be either him or Piccolo, imo).

Yamcha and Tien, could be good additions, especially for those of us tired of the same old "saiyans save the day" trope. There are other possibilities, too, like Krillin, Uub, Bulma, Bulla, Jaco, Chiaotzu, etc. We've alredy seen Bulma, Krillin and Gohan travelling to Namek, but Gohan was a kid, and Bulma....well, Bulma is too iconic and great a character to leave out, she works really well in all kinds of stories. Krillin is a very good, relatable guy, and he could be the "oh wow, look at that" character, that gets surprised and awed at everything cool. Also, I'd say Jaco is fundamental, for both comic relief and thematic reasons, especially if the arc occurs during Super's timeline.
My comment had nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof of the Black Star Dragon Balls arc, or the quality of any Super arc. I excluded it because GT obviously does not fit into the current continuity.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 pm

My comment had nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof of the Black Star Dragon Balls arc, or the quality of any Super arc. I excluded it because GT obviously does not fit into the current continuity.
Yeah, but it's still an existing Dragon Ball story arc. You start by saying the last adventure arc was Namek, as in, it has been a long time since we had an adventure arc. So I didn't see "continuity" or canon being relevant to your topic. I mean, sure, the last canon adventure arc was Namek, but we had a genuine adventure arc after that, which is simply in a different continuity, but still Dragon Ball.

Never understood people that literally ignore previous series and movies just because they are not part of the new, main continuity that the higher ups want us to consume. It's like saying Broly Super was original, since we hadn't seen such a character yet, in CANON material of course. I dunno, I think we shouldn't toss aside other stories, despite them not being relevant to the main timeline anymore. Hell, even Heroes turns out good from time to time.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:52 am

I love the earthlings, but I'd want to mix it up with the cast for an adventure story. I wouldn't mind multiple sets of adventurers though for a massive quest. Like Goku, Krillin, #17, #18, and Future Trunks in one group while Vegeta, Bulma, Trunks, Goten, and maybe Yamcha & Puar in another. And in a 3rd, Gohan, Piccolo, Cabba, Kale, and Caulifla.

If it had to be one team, I'd like a mix of universes. Goku, Kale, Caulifla, Roshi (or Oolong), Katopesra, and maybe Bulma again.

And add to that antagonistic adventurer teams like Frost, Trio de Dangers, Kamikaze Fireballs, and others.

Jamtia

Post by Jamtia » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:07 am

It would be nice to have a new adventure.

I felt like DB was one big adventure in and of itself.

DBZ's big adventure arc was Named/Frieza. But I still felt like the Android/Cell saga was some what adventurous since you had all of the Z Warriors/Bulma doing things to stop the threats.

If you want to travel to a new location with a bunch of the Z Warriors I'd be down. The TOP/Moro arc was nice to see some fighters get the spot light.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 am

anubisj wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 pm
Yeah, but it's still an existing Dragon Ball story arc. You start by saying the last adventure arc was Namek, as in, it has been a long time since we had an adventure arc. So I didn't see "continuity" or canon being relevant to your topic. I mean, sure, the last canon adventure arc was Namek, but we had a genuine adventure arc after that, which is simply in a different continuity, but still Dragon Ball.

Never understood people that literally ignore previous series and movies just because they are not part of the new, main continuity that the higher ups want us to consume. It's like saying Broly Super was original, since we hadn't seen such a character yet, in CANON material of course. I dunno, I think we shouldn't toss aside other stories, despite them not being relevant to the main timeline anymore. Hell, even Heroes turns out good from time to time.
It's relevant because the arc wasn't written by Toriyama. Obviously the last arc on his mind which featured adventure elements would be Namek, thus he would in all likelihood be more open to explore an adventure arc again considering the length of time since the last one he wrote. Had he written the black star DB arc, it would be fresher on his memory and he likely would not.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:18 am

Yuji wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 am
anubisj wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 pm

It's relevant because the arc wasn't written by Toriyama. Obviously the last arc on his mind which featured adventure elements would be Namek, thus he would in all likelihood be more open to explore an adventure arc again considering the length of time since the last one he wrote. Had he written the black star DB arc, it would be fresher on his memory and he likely would not.
Why does that even matter??? It's an adventure arc in DB! Having a different writer does not mean that it has no validity or is regulated to non-existence. Several parts of DBS were not written by Toriyama, does that mean they never happened?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

evirus

Post by evirus » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:58 am

The good thing about an adventure arc in general, especially involving a hunt for dragon balls is that it gets the characters to move around in the world and by proxy you figure out more about it in terms of history and current events. It’s a shame that the dragon balls themselves are so limited though because you can’t talk about family heirlooms or national treasures being fought over in the context of the earth dragonballs because they were redistributed so recently.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:29 pm

theherodjl wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:18 amWhy does that even matter??? It's an adventure arc in DB! Having a different writer does not mean that it has no validity or is regulated to non-existence. Several parts of DBS were not written by Toriyama, does that mean they never happened?
If the purpose of the thread is to theorize about the return of adventure arcs in the current continuity then it obviously matters which continuity we're talking about, who's in charge of its writing, and when was the last time said writer wrote a similar arc so we can figure out whether or not the return of such an arc is feasible. I don't understand why folks are hanging up on this point.